M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Remote 3D View - New issue

10-04-2020, 08:43 PM   #23
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post
alpha geek
Quote:
Great pick up. I may have been too hasty in blaming Microsoft...
Not at all as with nearly 30 years in IT from a professional career standpoint the first to blame is the network, the second to blame is the firewall (not a play in this scenario) and the 3rd to blame is Microsoft and hence the infamous ctrl-alt-del to solve the problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 08:55 PM   #24
BeeMdblU
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86, F25, G16

No issue with mine, ios 14.0.1
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 09:45 PM   #25
silviang
Rep
Drives: BMW future

If you look at the release notes for the last update of "BMW Connected" (10.9) they state the following:

We are working together with Apple on a known malfunction within the function "Remote 3D view" in iOS 14.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 10:28 PM   #26
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
I took a 3D view of my M850i on Friday via my Google Pixel 3XL running the latest Android 11 along with the latest Connected Drive app and it worked fine (love the way it renders my wife's X5 as ginormous) but forgot to update the thread. Just did the same with my work iPhone XS which was updated last week to iOS 14 and I ended up with the same result as the OP. So I checked to see if there is was an updated iOS app and it looks like version 10.9 is the latest and was auto upgraded on 9/28.

That said in reviewing the release notes it is definitely iOS 14 which explains why it may work for others still on iOS 13. Have no fear though as BMW (or their 3rd party) is actively working with Apple on resolving the issue.
Curious—where the heck did Microsoft enter this picture?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 04:49 PM   #27
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
Given the speed at which BMW Connected operates including the instantaneous nature of in car software and app updates, I concluded that this was because BMW were running the whole platform on a Windows XP 2000 Server located in Almaty. This theory, like many theories, has transgressed into pseudo reality. And for that I offer an unreserved apology to Microsoft and its amazing staff for any offence caused.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 04:51 PM   #28
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
alpha geek
Quote:
Not at all as with nearly 30 years in IT from a professional career standpoint the first to blame is the network, the second to blame is the firewall (not a play in this scenario) and the 3rd to blame is Microsoft and hence the infamous ctrl-alt-del to solve the problem.
Na Na Na nah... you missed DNS—it's been the bane of my life for 2 decades.

And to be clear, MICROSOFT DIDN'T WRITE OR BREAK DNS.
Appreciate 1
Ozzie8641.00
      10-05-2020, 06:44 PM   #29
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Ok you tech gurus, who's OS platform is better all around...Mac or Windows?

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 08:26 PM   #30
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Given the speed at which BMW Connected operates including the instantaneous nature of in car software and app updates, I concluded that this was because BMW were running the whole platform on a Windows XP 2000 Server located in Almaty. This theory, like many theories, has transgressed into pseudo reality. And for that I offer an unreserved apology to Microsoft and its amazing staff for any offence caused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Na Na Na nah... you missed DNS—it's been the bane of my life for 2 decades.

And to be clear, MICROSOFT DIDN'T WRITE OR BREAK DNS.
Agreed but it has been less of a bane for me as I've never let an Enterprise I've worked for leverage AD for DNS outside of what was needed for the MS ecosphere to function. Side not being that I absolutely cringed when Oracle acquired Dyn and still hope they don't screw that up.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 08:43 PM   #31
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMdblU View Post
No issue with mine, ios 14.0.1
Now this is where it gets interesting as after seeing your post last evening and checking my iPhone the upgrade last week was to 14.0 vs 14.0.1. I checked the release notes on 14.0.1 (no CVEs and basically enhancements but zero mention of any 3rd party fixes). I set my phone to update overnight vs watching the paint dry. Today I tried again with the latest Connected App 10.9 and 14.0.1 and the same grey blocks result of the OP.

So now the plot thickens, i.e., is it a regional server issue on the back-end? The release notes for the 10.9 app indicates it is not but rather iOS 14 itself but you've proven that otherwise. Thus, stabbing in the dark leads me to wonder if the Connected Cloud service in Canada is a different back-end than the US.

My guess is yes given in my past life (about 3 years ago) I was tasked with building a Cloud service specifically for Canada vs what we had running for the rest of NA. At the time this was due to Canadian government contracts we had for the service in play but roll the clock forward with GDPR and Canada's equivalent in the way of PIPEDA it makes sense for BMW to do so. In fact several states with CA being the first followed by Arizona and others have similar privacy legislation in play. BMW still can likely get away with a single Connected Drive service for the US but they will need to be cognizant of the lowest common denominators across the state legislation.

Last edited by bloozemanAZ; 10-05-2020 at 09:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 09:06 PM   #32
BeeMdblU
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86, F25, G16

Quote:
Now this is where it gets interesting as after seeing your post last evening and checking my iPhone the upgrade last week was to 14.0 vs 14.0.1. I checked the release notes on 14.0.1 (no CVEs and basically enhancements but zero mention of any 3rd party fixes). I set my phone to update overnight vs watching the paint dry. Today I tried again with the latest Connected App 10.9 and 14.0.1 and the same grey blocks result of the OP.

So now the plot thickens, i.e., is it a regional server issue on the back-end? The release notes for the 10.9 app indicates it is not but rather iOS 14 itself but you've proven that otherwise. Thus, stabbing in the dark leads me to wonder if the Connected Cloud service in CA is a different back-end than the US.

My guess is yes given in my past life (about 3 years ago) I was tasked with building a Cloud service specifically for CA vs what we had running for the rest of NA. At the time this was due to CA government contracts we had for the service in play but roll the clock forward with GDPR and CA's equivalent in the way of PIPEDA it makes sense for BMW to do so. In fact several states with CA being the first followed by Arizona and others have similar privacy legislation in play. BMW still can likely get away with a single Connected Drive service for the US but they will need to be cognizant of the lowest common denominators across the state legislation.
And I thought Chinese was the most difficult language
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 09:46 PM   #33
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMdblU View Post
And I thought Chinese was the most difficult language
Apologies and just cleaned up the post as I realized CA works for both Canada and California. As for the rest, it's just the world of privacy law I've lived in for the past decade or so.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 10:56 PM   #34
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Agreed but it has been less of a bane for me as I've never let an Enterprise I've worked for leverage AD for DNS outside of what was needed for the MS ecosphere to function. Side not being that I absolutely cringed when Oracle acquired Dyn and still hope they don't screw that up.
Secure DDNS updates or no DDNS are the only two options for AD-->delegate those zones-->only one vendor (AFAIK to date) properly supported secure DDNS.

Insecure DDNS for AD-->uh oh.

No DDNS-->unscalable... so only one option.

Not sure we agree on this one.

Anyhoo, we digress. ... back to cars-

Last edited by limeypride; 10-05-2020 at 11:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 11:00 PM   #35
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well you sure as heck didn't offend me--but I can't speak for the rest of my merry blue band. . All interpreted as tongue in cheek on my end just in case my CAPS were perceived otherwise.

PS: XP == Server 2003. Windows 2000 Server == Windows 2000 Professional... I'm just sayin'.

Almaty?!? LMAO... how the heck did you land on that one.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 11:05 PM   #36
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
<-- // my answer is subtle, but it's in there
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 11:07 PM   #37
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Secure DDNS updates or no DDNS are the only two options for AD-->delegate those zones-->only one vendor (AFAIK to date) properly supported secure DDNS.

Insecure DDNS for AD-->uh oh.

No DDNS-->unscalable... so only one option.

Not sure we agree on this one.

Anyhoo, we digress. ... back to cars-
Nope there are other players out there supporting secure DDNS but to your point there are others that do not. That said I'm just busting your balls (although my statement was true on non-reliance to AD DNS) in the spirit of Ozzie's original blame it on MS posting.

Back to the cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 11:15 PM   #38
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Honestly I've been running OSX now rebranded as MacOS for well over a decade given my UNIX background (OSX is based on a variant, i.e., BSD). However, with Windows 7 Microsoft significantly broke ground over the past and built on that with Windows 10. Windows 10 is a solid operating system with all of the UI features needed, i.e. multiple desktops, etc. so I've been for the most part practically running it exclusively since 2015 in my work and professional life. Sure I have a 2018 MacBook Pro that gathers dust until I need it for its one specific purpose and a MacMini driving part of my HomeTheater but they are one offs vs day to day computing needs. Hands down Windows 10.

Last edited by bloozemanAZ; 10-05-2020 at 11:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 11:21 PM   #39
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Well you sure as heck didn't offend me--but I can't speak for the rest of my merry blue band. . All interpreted as tongue in cheek on my end just in case my CAPS were perceived otherwise.

PS: XP == Server 2003. Windows 2000 Server == Windows 2000 Professional... I'm just sayin'.

Almaty?!? LMAO... how the heck did you land on that one.
Only us geeks in the business know this including Windows 7 equals Sever 2008 R2, etc. Don't confuse the masses.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 11:25 PM   #40
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Only us geeks in the business know this including Windows 7 equals Sever 2008 R2, etc. Don't confuse the masses.
Hehehe, them there's the facts... we can share .
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 12:04 AM   #41
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Honestly I've been running OSX now rebranded as MacOS for well over a decade given my UNIX background (OSX is based on a variant, i.e., BSD). However, with Windows 7 Microsoft significantly broke ground over the past and built on that with Windows 10. Windows 10 is a solid operating system with all of the UI features needed, i.e. multiple desktops, etc. so I've been for the most part practically running it exclusively since 2015 in my work and professional life. Sure I have a 2018 MacBook Pro that gathers dust until I need it for its one specific purpose and a MacMini driving part of my HomeTheater but they are one offs vs day to day computing needs. Hands down Windows 10.
Quote:
<-- // my answer is subtle, but it's in there
Interesting, the unanymous nod goes to Windows, which is what my business uses although we are Apple friendly. What browser do you guys prefer for Windows?

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 07:47 PM   #42
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Interesting, the unanymous nod goes to Windows, which is what my business uses although we are Apple friendly. What browser do you guys prefer for Windows?
It's been a journey from Firefox (Mozilla based) starting in about 2005 to adopting Chrome in 2009 (when it was released for OSX so I could have a universal browser) and continue to use it as my go to browser to this day (using it right now to post this). That said I see Microsoft's latest Edge (based on Google's open source Chromium engine) and released last year as a solid contender. MS made a solid move with it and from my understanding the Windows Teams client also uses the Chromium engine as well which indicates to me they are betting the farm on it vs proprietary engines of the past (IE and original Edge).
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 08:40 PM   #43
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's been a journey from Firefox (Mozilla based) starting in about 2005 to adopting Chrome in 2009 (when it was released for OSX so I could have a universal browser) and continue to use it as my go to browser to this day (using it right now to post this). That said I see Microsoft's latest Edge (based on Google's open source Chromium engine) and released last year as a solid contender. MS made a solid move with it and from my understanding the Windows Teams client also uses the Chromium engine as well which indicates to me they are betting the farm on it vs proprietary engines of the past (IE and original Edge).
Thanks for confirming something for me, I've found the new Edge to be quite solid, as Chrome crashes every so often, actually more so lately

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 04:44 AM   #44
chillo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840d Convertible

ive got this problem too! iOS14.0.1 and 10.9.1990 and i'm 2019.11
Ducati Panigale v4r
Ducati 1299s
Appreciate 0