M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Battery question

10-25-2020, 03:01 PM   #1
jm600rr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8C Coupe

Battery question

I just picked up a M8C and I know the car sat at the dealer for awhile. Drives and starts fine but the battery meter shows pretty low. Is this normal or do I need to take in and have the battery checked?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 04:03 PM   #2
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupé & M240i Coupé

Have you driven a bit since you picked it up? Battery should recharge (self-charge) as you drive even if it was almost drained. Though car dealers in showrooms usually do hook up the chargers to prevent vehicles' batteries from going so low while keeping them in a healthy state too! I would suggest drive some 30 minutes non-stop and see what the state is after that. If the battery meter then still shows the same level of charge, there may be something wrong with it and I would not hesitate in going back to the dealer and have it checked.
Appreciate 1
jm600rr119.00
      10-25-2020, 04:44 PM   #3
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm600rr View Post
I just picked up a M8C and I know the car sat at the dealer for awhile. Drives and starts fine but the battery meter shows pretty low. Is this normal or do I need to take in and have the battery checked?
That's not the battery display. That's the eco fuel saving display. It's different.
Appreciate 2
jm600rr119.00
FBMWWINS603.50
      10-25-2020, 04:49 PM   #4
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
While you can go through all the Bmw menu's. I'd recommend buying an obd2 and check it yourself. The monitors will give you all the error codes and a readout of the o2 sensors, battery sensors, fuel pumps and more. But it also shows the battery voltage. I think around 15 v. is good on a new battery.
Here is the obd2 that I use wireless Bluetooth to my phone. It's $99 but it was $50 when I got it. It's still worth $100 in my opinion.

You can also spend another $40 and get bimmercode to fix a lot of the basic stuff.

OBDLink MX+ OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner for iPhone, Android, and Windows https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JFRFJG6...UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 1
jm600rr119.00
      10-25-2020, 07:30 PM   #5
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
Quote:
That's not the battery display. That's the eco fuel saving display. It's different.
It changes based on comfort, sport or eco mode. With the m you can setup 2 custom settings. I recommend one for daily driving and 1 for launch mode. Or sport settings.

You can also view other options in that dash display mode. The music and such. I recommend the one that shows your hp and torque display, unless you use the sports displays on your I drive screen or hud.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 08:16 PM   #6
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
Yes, and a little bit more of an explanation is this appears to be universal on BMWs and I first discovered it on my wife's 2017 X5. I could not understand why in ECO mode it displayed energy regeneration when slowing down, braking, etc. That applies to a hybrid as the energy produced does go back to the hybrid battery. I'm assuming that in a BMW non-hybrid they send it back to the car's battery. Either that or it's just a visual to make the driver feel like their helping to be ECO.
Appreciate 1