M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion March vs July software difference

10-18-2020, 08:34 PM   #23
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMdblU View Post
Hey Bloozeman, how neutred is your exhaust? I'm on version 11/2019.50 and the only pops I hear is when revving in neutral also downshifting in sports plus between 2.5 and 3.5 rpm. If I'm gonna be neutred more than that I'm gonna forfeit the update.
That is odd as when I had 11/2019.55 with Sport Individual set at Comfort for the suspension and both the engine/transmission at Sport literally every time the car downshifted it burbled. In fact I could literally get the car to do it on demand by timing that as I approached red lights, etc. Perhaps the 11/2019.50 in CA introduced the neutering before it hit the US?

With 11/2019.70 I've just changed my Sport Individual settings to have the engine in Sport Plus. Thus, I can still get the car to burble on demand as I approach stoplights, etc. Full Sport Plus given the more aggressive transmission just ramps that up.
Appreciate 1
BeeMdblU447.00
      10-18-2020, 08:44 PM   #24
BeeMdblU
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86, F25, G16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
That is odd as when I had 11/2019.55 with Sport Individual set at Comfort for the suspension and both the engine/transmission at Sport literally every time the car downshifted it burbled. In fact I could literally get the car to do it on demand by timing that as I approached red lights, etc. Perhaps the 11/2019.50 in CA introduced the neutering before it hit the US?

With 11/2019.70 I've just changed my Sport Individual settings to have the engine in Sport Plus. Thus, I can still get the car to burble on demand as I approach stoplights, etc. Full Sport Plus given the more aggressive transmission just ramps that up.
ok so you're still getting the pops on version 2020/07 however in sportsplus if I'm understanding correctly.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 08:50 PM   #25
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
ok so you're still getting the pops on version 2020/07 however in sportsplus if I'm understanding correctly.
Sorry for the confusion but I'm still on 11/2019.70 and hence my post on the thread that as long as BMW does not further neuter the exhaust I'll give 07/2020 a go. The assumption is the damage has been done vs further tweaking on their part.
Appreciate 1
BeeMdblU447.00
      10-18-2020, 09:26 PM   #26
BeeMdblU
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Sorry for the confusion but I'm still on 11/2019.70 and hence my post on the thread that as long as BMW does not further neuter the exhaust I'll give 07/2020 a go. The assumption is the damage has been done vs further tweaking on their part.
Ah ok, got it, thank you.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 09:27 PM   #27
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by noushy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Quote:
Had mine installed during service. Didn't notice any changes other than 3D view and camera view differences. I use carplay so no idea about android. And no I had to have the dealer do it.

Noushy
Are there any changes with the M-mode button? For example, did they restore the ability to put the HUD into M mode via the M1/M2 buttons? My expectation is that they'd allow us to program the desired M-mode into the M1/M2 buttons (implicitly giving me the desired HUD).

This was a regression and something both of my M5s could do.
So my version is even newer than the others at 07/2020.54 and no they did not fix the HUD option in the M button settings.
Well shiiiiit.

Thanks for the info.

Anything in there you think worth upgrading for?

PS: did it wipe out any aftermarket coding you had?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 07:35 AM   #28
noushy
///M Fan
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp, X5M Comp, iX M60

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Had mine installed during service. Didn't notice any changes other than 3D view and camera view differences. I use carplay so no idea about android. And no I had to have the dealer do it.

Noushy
Are there any changes with the M-mode button? For example, did they restore the ability to put the HUD into M mode via the M1/M2 buttons? My expectation is that they'd allow us to program the desired M-mode into the M1/M2 buttons (implicitly giving me the desired HUD).

This was a regression and something both of my M5s could do.
So my version is even newer than the others at 07/2020.54 and no they did not fix the HUD option in the M button settings.
Well shiiiiit.

Thanks for the info.

Anything in there you think worth upgrading for?

PS: did it wipe out any aftermarket coding you had?
I didn't play with it much since I had the car detailed and it's been sitting in the garage. I have been driving my X.3 M. But I think the only major changes are the cameras. And I don't have any coding on that car so no way of telling you.

Noushy
2023 Audi RS6 Avant Daytona Gray/Black
2024 BMW X5M Comp Brooklyn Gray/Taruma Brown, Titanium Exhaust on order
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 10:32 AM   #29
chrism850i
Rep
Drives: BMW M850i

Quote:
Ah ok, got it, thank you.
If you’re going from 11/2019 anything to the most recent, you’ll mostly lose sound outside of any sport setting i.e. valves will no longer be open in comfort at idle or be as open when driving unless you get over 4,000 RPM and your valves will close as often as possible or when turned off. When I had the previous software, you could literally get valves opening before 3,000 rpm in comfort mode. For those that use remote start, you’ll hear the difference immediately as the vehicle won’t start with all valves open like it used to. You can just do what I do and keep it in sport individual every time you drive. I still feel like I got robbed though 😑....
Appreciate 1
BeeMdblU447.00
      10-19-2020, 09:09 PM   #30
BeeMdblU
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism850i View Post
If you’re going from 11/2019 anything to the most recent, you’ll mostly lose sound outside of any sport setting i.e. valves will no longer be open in comfort at idle or be as open when driving unless you get over 4,000 RPM and your valves will close as often as possible or when turned off. When I had the previous software, you could literally get valves opening before 3,000 rpm in comfort mode. For those that use remote start, you’ll hear the difference immediately as the vehicle won’t start with all valves open like it used to. You can just do what I do and keep it in sport individual every time you drive. I still feel like I got robbed though 😑....
but doesn't the sporty setting under engine sound open the flaps? I tried it and can hear the flaps open and close by selecting the setting
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 11:20 PM   #31
chrism850i
Rep
Drives: BMW M850i

Quote:
but doesn't the sporty setting under engine sound open the flaps? I tried it and can hear the flaps open and close by selecting the setting
Oh yeah if you’ve got a 20 then they’ll be open. 2019’s don’t have the setting. Plus, on cold start they’ll never be open no matter what mode you’re in until the engine warms up. In the old software, they’d stay open when the car turns off so when you remote start it the next time, they’d be wide open. That was my favorite part!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 10:23 PM   #32
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
FYI that the engine sound setting within iDrive on the 2020s is for the fabricated engine sound vs the actual engine. The caveat is if you are in Sport or Sport Plus and select "Reduced" it will override the actual Sport setting. For myself I keep it at "Depending on driving mode" as the fabricated engine sound never over takes the glorious B&W audio set at at least 40% volume at any time I'm in the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 10:36 PM   #33
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism850i View Post
Agreed and to your point I specifically drove home from an errand this afternoon in Sport Plus. Once parked in the garage I revved the engine just to hear the crackles and pops to ensure the valves were open. Why? Basically I'm going to do some reconnaissance tomorrow regarding this post which outlines how to keep the valves open: https://f92.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1707154.

According to the OP it does not trigger a CEL or any other downside. However, I'm going to tread lightly and just check out if the valves are open and double check the instructions I asked in the thread. Once I'm comfortable to follow the steps BMW's neutering of my exhaust may be in my proverbial rear view mirror.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 11:10 PM   #34
jh00@aol.com
Private
Rep
Drives: F90

M8 - Magnetic Phone Mount

Anyone have a suggestion for a good magnetic phone mount? I had the ones that you stick I to the AC vents but it broke my vent (for what it's worth was pretty flimsy for a 150k car). Now looking for something that won't break the car. Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 05:10 PM   #35
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh00@aol.com View Post
Anyone have a suggestion for a good magnetic phone mount? I had the ones that you stick I to the AC vents but it broke my vent (for what it's worth was pretty flimsy for a 150k car). Now looking for something that won't break the car. Any suggestions?
VAVA Magnetic Phone Car Mount,... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072JWHPVJ...p_mob_ap_share
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 09:03 PM   #36
BeeMdblU
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
FYI that the engine sound setting within iDrive on the 2020s is for the fabricated engine sound vs the actual engine. The caveat is if you are in Sport or Sport Plus and select "Reduced" it will override the actual Sport setting. For myself I keep it at "Depending on driving mode" as the fabricated engine sound never over takes the glorious B&W audio set at at least 40% volume at any time I'm in the car.
I have the fake sound deactivated and like I said in my previous post when I select sporty under engine sound I could hear the valves ticking open
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 10:50 PM   #37
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I have the fake sound deactivated and like I said in my previous post when I select sporty under engine sound I could hear the valves ticking open
Yes, as that will operate in the opposite fashion, i.e., have the car in Comfort and set the sporty engine sound it will increase the fabricated in-cabin as well as override the engine/transmisson as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 02:39 PM   #38
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I just took the most disappointing drive so far in the M850i to further test out the the setting and my expectation as per my last post regarding the "reverse effect" of my initial Engine Sound testing. The reason for the disappointment is I had to do the entire 20 minute drive without the B&W amazing audio.

As stated earlier in the thread my original foray with the Engine Sound setting was to see if I could lower the fabricated sound. So hence in Sport Individual I set "reduced" and it did reduce the fabrication but also impacted the real engine sound aka exhuast. So a no go and just have left it in "depending on driving mode". Today's test was to confirm the opposite as to your point.

For the vast majority of the drive the car was set to Comfort and I toggled between "depending on driving mode" and "sporty". Sure enough when in "sporty" not only did the fabricated sound increase on hard throttle I could hear the exhaust open up a bit as well. I did this also while waiting at a stoplight by putting the car in park and revving the engine in both modes. You can definitely hear the valves open but to no extent of true Sport Plus.

My final test was to see if "sporty" combined with the car set to Sport Individual (engine on Sport Plus and transmission on Sport) would make the real exhaust even more aggressive. That resulted in a "no" as it slightly reduced the exhaust over when in "depending on driving mode" which appears to keep the engine fully in the driving mode setting vs "sporty" likely sets it to Sport.

Lastly I just noticed (apologies) that you have the fabricated engine noise coded out. Correct? I considered that but the irony is my wife gets a kick out of it when she's in the car with me. She can't distinguish between it and the true exhaust whatsoever. Plus, with her in the car the B&W never gets off the default 20% volume so the fabricated sound is more pronounced within the cabin vs when I'm alone with the B&W at 50% plus the fabricated sound is drowned out (thankfully BMW did not tie it to the volume of the Entertainment system so it increases accordingly).
Appreciate 0