M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Is the M8 Comp comfortable?

08-19-2020, 10:31 PM   #1
i8you
Abu Dhabi
Rep
Drives: M

Is the M8 Comp comfortable?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I'm going to be test driving it but want some opinions since I've only driven the M850i so far & it just wasn't fast enough for my liking. I'm going to pick up a M8 comp early September & plan on it being my daily car. Was wondering if it's comfortable during long drives as I'm always all over the tri-state area for business reasons
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 10:47 PM   #2
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
i8you were you test driving the m850i in the BMW multi story car park?

The 8 series, all models, is the ultimate cruiser on long highway or interstate drives. In my opinion.
Appreciate 2
i8you5.00
      08-19-2020, 11:03 PM   #3
i8you
Abu Dhabi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post
i8you were you test driving the m850i in the BMW multi story car park?

The 8 series, all models, is the ultimate cruiser on long highway or interstate drives. In my opinion.

I drove the M850i on the roads near the bmw dealership. Drove it upto ~100mph but it just didn't feel as fast as I expected it to be. I heard the M8 comp's suspension makes it noticeably stiffer & less comfortable so that's why I posed the question. The one I'm looking to pickup is fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 12:36 AM   #4
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by i8you View Post
I'm going to be test driving it but want some opinions since I've only driven the M850i so far & it just wasn't fast enough for my liking. I'm going to pick up a M8 comp early September & plan on it being my daily car. Was wondering if it's comfortable during long drives as I'm always all over the tri-state area for business reasons
Yes.

Mine's lowered yet further still—no complaints from the family unless we hit a caldera of a pothole... then it sucks.

As for not fast enough: I find very few things are these days but I go through enough cars to know that the performance and personality increases noticeably & mature over time. As does the exhaust note.

What's your benchmark for "fast?"
Appreciate 2
Ozzie8641.00
i8you5.00
      08-20-2020, 07:07 AM   #5
c^2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Comp Coupe

I drove the following before I got my M8 comp:

-Mercedes S560 coupe, S63 coupe
-Audi: S7, RS7 (now previous gen)
-BMW: 550i, M5, M5comp, 850i, M8, M8 comp (coupes only)
-Porsche: 911 (992 generation, 4s model)

M8 comp is plenty comfortable and is my 24/7 car. Driven it in snow storms, 100 mile hauls, to and from work in city traffic.

Love the car, when it works. If you're getting a good deal on the M8, I'd say go for it. If they're only offering you 4-6% off, I'd recommend an S63 over the M8. S63 is slower than an M8 but still plenty fast overall and does a better job for as a gran touring car in my opinion.
Appreciate 3
i8you5.00
jjasonSU194.00
      08-20-2020, 06:18 PM   #6
i8you
Abu Dhabi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Yes.

Mine's lowered yet further still—no complaints from the family unless we hit a caldera of a pothole... then it sucks.

As for not fast enough: I find very few things are these days but I go through enough cars to know that the performance and personality increases noticeably & mature over time. As does the exhaust note.

Don't really have a benchmark tbh. All the cars we own are luxury cars, it just wasn't as fast as I expected. I'm pretty sure I'll be content with the M8 comp as it's the fastest in the BMW lineup. If it starts getting old to me I'll probably get a tune or just upgrade further
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 06:20 PM   #7
i8you
Abu Dhabi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c^2 View Post

M8 comp is plenty comfortable and is my 24/7 car. Driven it in snow storms, 100 mile hauls, to and from work in city traffic.

Love the car, when it works. If you're getting a good deal on the M8, I'd say go for it. If they're only offering you 4-6% off, I'd recommend an S63 over the M8. S63 is slower than an M8 but still plenty fast overall and does a better job for as a gran touring car in my opinion.

We already have another Benz so I'm not sure if I'd want to get a 3rd one. I wanted to get the M8 comp as a stepping stone before I get into supercars. The dealer is offering us a 6% discount. Luckily I'm in a position where cost doesn't matter although I don't like throwing money away. How much more of a discount do dealers offer? I was also looking at the Audi R8, AM Vantage, Corvette C8 and a few others but I think the M8 comp meets my sweet spot for what I'd like right now. Was just worried about the comfortable-ness but you guys reassured it's a nice ride
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 08:24 PM   #8
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes.

Don't really have a benchmark tbh. All the cars we own are luxury cars, it just wasn't as fast as I expected. I'm pretty sure I'll be content with the M8 comp as it's the fastest in the BMW lineup. If it starts getting old to me I'll probably get a tune or just upgrade further
It isn't the fastest. A 2020 M5 Comp will outrun a GC... just. I can't speak for the coupe.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 08:38 PM   #9
i8you
Abu Dhabi
Rep

Quote:
It isn't the fastest. A 2020 M5 Comp will outrun a GC... just. I can't speak for the coupe.
The M8 comp I'm looking at is a coupe. From what I read/saw online, the M8 is faster & launches better. If that's not actually the case, I don't mind as I still prefer the looks/presence of the M8
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 08:52 PM   #10
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
The M8 comp I'm looking at is a coupe. From what I read/saw online, the M8 is faster & launches better. If that's not actually the case, I don't mind as I still prefer the looks/presence of the M8
Likewise on the looks—I couldn't be happier with it (as others here on the forum will no doubt attest because of my insistence to post endless photos of my Frozen Dark Silver beauty).

My 2020 M5C cracked 60mph in 2.57s and the 1/4 mile in 10.33s—just a piggyback.

With exactly the same mods, my M8C Gran Coupe is slightly—and I mean slightly—slower than my M5... less than a 1/10th of a second in it, though, so nothing to worry about.

As to the launch: true, an M8 will out launch a 2019 M5 which is apparently related to the new, stronger, faster transmission.
Appreciate 1
i8you5.00
      08-20-2020, 09:31 PM   #11
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Considering most luxury cars are from a zero to 60 point of view in the 5 second class with some exceptions into the 4 second zone the M850i is considerably faster. I had initially set the speed warning on my 2020 M850i to 84 MPH as 85 MPH is the trigger for criminal speeding on even our rural highways with a PSL of 75 MPH. Off of the highways criminal speeding comes into play at 20 MPH over the PSL.

Needless to say the 84 MPH alert became a ridiculous annoyance so I upped it to 95 MPH. Even then it is triggered in almost a blink of the eye when stepping on the gas in the M850i. In fact last Wednesday when I was driving home from an appointment on one of our intercity freeways (PSL is 65) I stepped on the gas to pass a bunch of slow moving cars. My brain registered the the speed limit warning "gong" from iDrive at 95 MPH but by the time I looked at my speed in the HUD it was 110 MPH.

Throw a M8C or M8C GC into the same scenario and it just adds insult to injury. In other words if a M8C in either variant is not fast enough you'll need to look elsewhere, e.g., a Turbo S but in doing so you'll lose the GT aspect of the 8-series.
Appreciate 1
i8you5.00
      08-20-2020, 09:40 PM   #12
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
We're planning on getting a Maybach soon & already have another Benz so I'm not sure if I'd want to get a 3rd one. I wanted to get the M8 comp as a stepping stone before I get into supercars. The dealer is offering us a 6% discount. Luckily I'm in a position where cost doesn't matter although I don't like throwing money away. How much more of a discount do dealers offer? I was also looking at the Audi R8, AM Vantage, Corvette C8 and a few others but I think the M8 comp meets my sweet spot for what I'd like right now. Was just worried about the comfortable-ness but you guys reassured it's a nice ride
Quote:
If the M8C your considering is a coupe then I'd say a 6% discount is too low based on the last few months of deals. The M8C GC is a rare bird so the discounts have been closer to the 6% mark. That said the reality that there are no orders for 2021 M8/M8Cs may definitely change the discounting aspects for the 2020s on the ground. In other words the supply quotient in the law of supply and demand just tilted 180 degrees. Only time will tell if the demand matches or lack of demand keeps the 13% or greater discounts in play.
Appreciate 1
i8you5.00
      08-20-2020, 10:11 PM   #13
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
We're planning on getting a Maybach soon & already have another Benz so I'm not sure if I'd want to get a 3rd one. I wanted to get the M8 comp as a stepping stone before I get into supercars. The dealer is offering us a 6% discount. Luckily I'm in a position where cost doesn't matter although I don't like throwing money away. How much more of a discount do dealers offer? I was also looking at the Audi R8, AM Vantage, Corvette C8 and a few others but I think the M8 comp meets my sweet spot for what I'd like right now. Was just worried about the comfortable-ness but you guys reassured it's a nice ride
6 Percent! Run fast, that is wayyy too low, these dealers can't sell the damn cars, there's so much overflow that it killed the MY21's. I think (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) people on the forums were saying you can get around 15-20% off M8's if they were launch edition specs, either way 6% is a joke, definitely negotiate with the dealer.
i8you5.00
      08-21-2020, 12:28 AM   #14
i8you
Abu Dhabi
Rep

I just read about there being no allocations for 2021 M8's in the US. I remember reading on the forums that it's possible to get a 15-20% discount but when I asked the sales guy @ the dealership, he basically called me crazy & started being rude to me. He also told me I'd never find that type of discount anywhere. I also mentioned how these cars are sitting on the lot currently & he said "did you hear that from the same guy who said you could get a 15-20% discount?" I guess I'll shop around a bit more. The thing is there's a lack of selection for the m8 comp coupe with specs I'd like.

I was just looking around online & this one caught my eye

https://www.princetonbmw.com/new/BMW...64be1d67cd.htm

Love the Aventurine Red Metallic & it also has the Bower's & Wilkins Audio System which I wanted that most of the available cars don't have. Also like that this has the gold carbon ceramic brakes. Probably gonna make a few calls tomorrow. How much of a discount do you guys think I should shoot for on this car? Thank you guys for chiming in & letting me know I wasn't getting a good deal originally with the 6% off. I also heard rumors that the 8 series might be discontinued altogether in 2022 which is a bummer
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 08:12 AM   #15
fl650
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M8 & 2016 BMW X1

I would strongly advise against buying this car. Unless you're looking for something in white, black, or variable shades of gray, many of the remaining vehicles are equipped with "Driver Assistance Package 2" for $500 which doesn't include the 3D View Surround cameras. These are invaluable for pulling into tight parking spaces and avoiding ground obstacles. I would suggest looking for a car equipped with Driver Assistance Package (ZDA) at $1100. Many have discovered this only after purchasing their cars and there are multiple threads describing buyer remorse and attempts to retrofit vehicles to capture some of the missing features.
Appreciate 1
i8you5.00
      08-21-2020, 08:39 AM   #16
i8you
Abu Dhabi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl650 View Post
I would strongly advise against buying this car. Unless you're looking for something in white, black, or variable shades of gray, many of the remaining vehicles are equipped with "Driver Assistance Package 2" for $500 which doesn't include the 3D View Surround cameras. These are invaluable for pulling into tight parking spaces and avoiding ground obstacles. You want to be looking for a car equipped with Driver Assistance Package (ZDA) for $1100. Many have discovered this only after purchasing their cars and there are multiple threads describing buyer remorse and attempts to retrofit vehicles to capture some of the missing features.
Wow, I wasn't aware of that, I was thinking it came standard with the driver's assistance package. Appreciate the heads up regarding that, I was definitely going to put that to use & it would've been a bummer without. I guess if I go through with buying I'm going to have to settle for a non fully loaded car with the lack of options available. There's one part of me telling me to look at other cars & another telling me to get it anyways despite the possible discontinuation & etc because this car really seems to hit the sweet spot for me. Before I made this thread, I was basically 100% sure on buying the M8 comp but now I'm not too sure. Kinda wish I bought it without posting 😂 There are a few near me with decent specs & the $1100 driver's assistance package so I might call up those dealers & see what kinda deal I could get
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 10:09 AM   #17
fl650
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I can't recall reading of any M8 owners who regret purchasing their car. Many of the posted criticisms are petty, and most of the detractors have probably never even driven an M8. From what I can tell, a lot of M8 coupes have been sold since BMW announced that there wouldn't be a 2021 model year. As a result, it's becoming increasingly difficult to find one that isn't white, black, or gray and equipped with the $1100 Drivers Assistance Package and Bowers & Wilkins audio (another must have). When searching for my car, I found www.cargurus.com to be particularly helpful. This forum has also been invaluable, especially posts from members like bloozemanAZ and limeypride. In some ways I'm actually hoping that the coupe and convertible are discontinued moving forward. The GC isn't going anywhere, and the vehicles share of most of the same parts.
Appreciate 3
limeypride4418.50
i8you5.00
jjasonSU194.00
      08-21-2020, 02:58 PM   #18
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by c^2 View Post

3rd one. I wanted to get the M8 comp as a stepping stone before I get into supercars. Was just worried about the comfortable-ness but you guys reassured it's a nice ride[/QUOTE]

Depending on what you're looking for the m8 does fall into that middle sweet spot. I'd avoid the c8 and others if you want pure comfort as a daily. The Audi R8 is unique, and the Vantage is comfortable.
My m850i was super comfortable for its class. And as a "stepping stone", it did the trick as well.

If you're serious about "stepping up"; message me and I'll send you info on my contact. But I was able to trade my m850i for a true F8 spider with a good discount and the dealership paid me full price on my BMW. Now I'm sure they still made a huge profit, but they paid me 100% of what I paid for my BMW to the penny. I drove it for 14 months and 2200 miles for "free" minus gas.

It's a good deal for me, as I'm in a similar boat to you where price doesn't matter but we don't want to throw away money.
Appreciate 1
i8you5.00
      08-21-2020, 04:10 PM   #19
i8you
Abu Dhabi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl650 View Post
I can't recall reading of any M8 owners who regret purchasing their car. Many of the posted criticisms are petty, and most of the detractors have probably never even driven an M8. From what I can tell, a lot of M8 coupes have been sold since BMW announced that there wouldn't be a 2021 model year. As a result, it's becoming increasingly difficult to find one that isn't white, black, or gray and equipped with the $1100 Drivers Assistance Package and Bowers & Wilkins audio (another must have). When searching for my car, I found www.cargurus.com to be particularly helpful. This forum has also been invaluable, especially posts from members like bloozemanAZ and limeypride. In some ways I'm actually hoping that the coupe and convertible are discontinued moving forward. The GC isn't going anywhere, and the vehicles share of most of the same parts.
Yeah I really don't understand all the hate towards the car although I guess I can see that it is slightly overpriced. I've been using cargurus & have a list of 3-4 comp coupes I like. Going to give those dealers a call and see what I can do. Hopefully the 8 series doesn't get discontinued 2022
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 04:12 PM   #20
i8you
Abu Dhabi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
]
Depending on what you're looking for the m8 does fall into that middle sweet spot. I'd avoid the c8 and others if you want pure comfort as a daily. The Audi R8 is unique, and the Vantage is comfortable.
My m850i was super comfortable for its class. And as a "stepping stone", it did the trick as well.

If you're serious about "stepping up"; message me and I'll send you info on my contact. But I was able to trade my m850i for a true F8 spider with a good discount and the dealership paid me full price on my BMW. Now I'm sure they still made a huge profit, but they paid me 100% of what I paid for my BMW to the penny. I drove it for 14 months and 2200 miles for "free" minus gas.

It's a good deal for me, as I'm in a similar boat to you where price doesn't matter but we don't want to throw away money.
The R8 interior puts me off, it's kinda ugly imo. Wish they updated it with the new facelift. The c8 wouldn't be too great of a DD so my final choices were between the Vantage & M8 comp. I leaned more towards the M8. I am serious about upgrading in the future (probably a year if I get bored of this car or just want more) but the thing is I drive ~30-40k miles a year all over the tri-state area
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2020, 04:34 PM   #21
fl650
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Resjudicata, unless something has changed, my understanding is that new Ferraris aren't discounted, and MSRP is a "good" price (assuming a dealer will even sell you a car out of their allocation). That seems to still be the case with Florida dealers. Is your experience different?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 04:34 PM   #22
noushy
///M Fan
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp, X5M Comp, iX M60

I have 13k on mine and its a DD for me and I love it. No issues and mine is a comp coupe all options.

Noushy
2023 Audi RS6 Avant Daytona Gray/Black
2024 BMW X5M Comp Brooklyn Gray/Taruma Brown, Titanium Exhaust on order
Appreciate 2
i8you5.00