M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Just test drove an M8 Competition. Shouldn't have done that....

03-27-2024, 02:26 PM   #45
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i -> M2C -> 21 M5C

I've owned both in 5 series form. Power differenece is negligible in 95% of the scenarios. If you do a lot of 1/4 mile racing, then the M5C stock was slightly faster - but not much noticable until you get to triple digits. They have the same torque figures which is what gives you the sensation of "fast" until you really get on it at illegal speeds.

If you drive around with a dragy and log every run you will notice the difference in 100-200 and 60-130 numbers. But I assume that most of us are adults and don't get an 8 series to dragy it 24/7 where you would actually feel the difference

Between the M550i and the M5C, I honestly missed the fully loaded M550i more due to the rear wheel steering, much more comfortable ride in everday scenarios and and B&W. Not to mention it sounded much better than the stock M5C. Someone mentioned the AutoTopNL guy on here. He did a review between the M5C and M550i and confirmed the same. M5 was very raspy while the M550i sounded like a true v8 (more AMG like.)

Even though my car is much faster than a stock M8C, I barely ever utilize the full power. With these heavy pigs of cars I prefer having all the options over anything else. Power can be easily added and I assume most people don't track these cars because they are not really driver's cars like the M2C, M3C, etc. If speed is the biggest priority, one can just get an M3C, tune it and blow and M5/M8 out of the water for less than $2k.

Last edited by AmooManiak; 03-27-2024 at 02:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 02:41 PM   #46
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
Nice Orbita. I've had several of them over the years. I actually used to have a side business selling watch winders and used it to help fund my watch habit. Although now due to the benefits of smart watches I have fallen prey to a few of Garmin's nicer ones.
Irony as when we were visiting our son out in San Diego a few weekends back the jewelry store he works at carries TAG Heuer and to my surprise they've gotten into the smart watch game. Interesting as built on Android but supports iOS as well.

Since I'm an Android guy spent the time to connect one to my Google Pixel 7 Pro. Was pretty impressed with the outcome so will likely be picking one up. His discount is 20% off MSRP. Told him when he can swing 40% (know the heavy markup on TAGs and watches in general) I'm in. 👍
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 04:51 PM   #47
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Irony as when we were visiting our son out in San Diego a few weekends back the jewelry store he works at carries TAG Heuer and to my surprise they've gotten into the smart watch game. Interesting as built on Android but supports iOS as well.

Since I'm an Android guy spent the time to connect one to my Google Pixel 7 Pro. Was pretty impressed with the outcome so will likely be picking one up. His discount is 20% off MSRP. Told him when he can swing 40% (know the heavy markup on TAGs and watches in general) I'm in. ��
I get that these are mechanical watch companies, but you'd think a few more of them would get on board with smart watches. Breitling already has some digital-ish watches. They could just take the next step and throw a smart watch inside of one of their fancy cases. I wouldn't expect Rolex or some of the others to ever make one though. Looks like that Tag is even cheaper than the Garmin MARQs.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 09:32 PM   #48
Powerwhee
Private
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmooManiak View Post
I've owned both in 5 series form. Power differenece is negligible in 95% of the scenarios. If you do a lot of 1/4 mile racing, then the M5C stock was slightly faster - but not much noticable until you get to triple digits. They have the same torque figures which is what gives you the sensation of "fast" until you really get on it at illegal speeds.

If you drive around with a dragy and log every run you will notice the difference in 100-200 and 60-130 numbers. But I assume that most of us are adults and don't get an 8 series to dragy it 24/7 where you would actually feel the difference

Between the M550i and the M5C, I honestly missed the fully loaded M550i more due to the rear wheel steering, much more comfortable ride in everday scenarios and and B&W. Not to mention it sounded much better than the stock M5C. Someone mentioned the AutoTopNL guy on here. He did a review between the M5C and M550i and confirmed the same. M5 was very raspy while the M550i sounded like a true v8 (more AMG like.)

Even though my car is much faster than a stock M8C, I barely ever utilize the full power. With these heavy pigs of cars I prefer having all the options over anything else. Power can be easily added and I assume most people don't track these cars because they are not really driver's cars like the M2C, M3C, etc. If speed is the biggest priority, one can just get an M3C, tune it and blow and M5/M8 out of the water for less than $2k.
I agree with most of what you are saying, but idk where this perception / myth came from that an S58 with a tune will destroy an S63 lol. Dude in the M3 was going on 2 and the M8 was right there. Fair race M8 would have pulled in all likelihood.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HKsr1B...JtdyBtMw%3D%3D

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SkJmoM5snk0
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 10:18 AM   #49
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerwhee View Post
I agree with most of what you are saying, but idk where this perception / myth came from that an S58 with a tune will destroy an S63 lol. Dude in the M3 was going on 2 and the M8 was right there. Fair race M8 would have pulled in all likelihood.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HKsr1B...JtdyBtMw%3D%3D

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SkJmoM5snk0
Don't get me wrong, I'm rooitng for the v8!

My point was that speed can be had for much cheaper if that was the primary goal. It takes much less $ to get an M3 into the 9s than an M8 (including the car.)

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 07:36 AM   #50
TupperBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i Gran Coupe

^ I agree that the N63 sounds better than the S63, and interesting that you say it sounds more. AMG-like because I concur. I just drove an AMG (see my video below) and it sounds much more similar to my M850i than the M8:

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 08:11 AM   #51
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TupperBMW View Post
^ I agree that the N63 sounds better than the S63, and interesting that you say it sounds more. AMG-like because I concur. I just drove an AMG (see my video below) and it sounds much more similar to my M850i than the M8:
I am a member of the EP3 Motorsports facebook page. I think they posted a video of you recording your newsly isntalled Fi exhaust
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 11:35 AM   #52
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Is this someone from the forums? M850i vs M8 race starts at around 1:55.

Appreciate 0