M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Bowers & Wilkins Settings/Apple CarPlay Questions for M8 CP

05-17-2020, 09:04 AM   #1
markus2310
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4 CP Convertible

Bowers & Wilkins Settings/Apple CarPlay Questions for M8 CP

I recently got a M8 CP with the Bowers & Wilkins sound system. It sounds great and I was able to adjust the bass and treble to my liking, but the Genius couldn't show me a way to adjust the sound profile under Apple Carplay so that I have to access the settings under FM radio (or other sources).

Is there a way to adjust the settings directly when in Apple CarPlay and does anybody have general setting recommendations/links to a tutorial or manual?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 05:35 PM   #2
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus2310 View Post
I recently got a M8 CP with the Bowers & Wilkins sound system. It sounds great and I was able to adjust the bass and treble to my liking, but the Genius couldn't show me a way to adjust the sound profile under Apple Carplay so that I have to access the settings under FM radio (or other sources).

Is there a way to adjust the settings directly when in Apple CarPlay and does anybody have general setting recommendations/links to a tutorial or manual?

Thanks!
I followed bloozemanAZ guidance here--he's a bit of an audiophile.

As far as accessing IDrive's sound settings when in CarPlay, you can't that I've found. In fact, I no longer use CarPlay because I found the transition between it and the rest of tech to be too jarring; it's also inferior in so many ways. I do use it when there's no native app, though, say Audible (which used to have a native app but n longer does).
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 06:16 PM   #3
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post

As far as accessing IDrive's sound settings when in CarPlay, you can't that I've found. In fact, I no longer use CarPlay because I found the transition between it and the rest of tech to be too jarring; it's also inferior in so many ways. I do use it when there's no native app, though, say Audible (which used to have a native app but n longer does).
Sounds like limeypride has confirmed that there is no way to control the iDrive sound settings when in CarPlay mode and that makes sense, i.e., it is a universal software interface layer that auto manufactures will allow to take over input control. However, Apple would have to create dedicated CarPlay releases for specific auto manufacture's head unit native APIs (assuming they even have them) in order for the CarPlay UI to be able to control sound settings, etc.

I've never used CarPlay in my M850i as I am Android based. However, I did have it set up with a work cell phone in my wife's X5 last year and I too found that the transition between it and native iDrive was far from desirable. Unless BMW delays it due to COVID-19 Android Auto should be coming in July for all models with iDrive 7. I'll likely give it a go for shits and giggles but expect the same outcome as CarPlay being an overall no go for me on a daily basis. Perhaps a once in a while if there is a specific app to utilize, e.g., if it supports Amazon Music (doubtful) I'd leverage it on occasion to stream Ultra HD sources if it abides to the settings of the B&W.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 07:28 PM   #4
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post

Sounds like limeypride has confirmed that there is no way to control the iDrive sound settings when in CarPlay mode and that makes sense, i.e., it is a universal software interface layer that auto manufactures will allow to take over input control. However, Apple would have to create dedicated CarPlay releases for specific auto manufacture's head unit native APIs (assuming they even have them) in order for the CarPlay UI to be able to control sound settings, etc.

I've never used CarPlay in my M850i as I am Android based. However, I did have it set up with a work cell phone in my wife's X5 last year and I too found that the transition between it and native iDrive was far from desirable. Unless BMW delays it due to COVID-19 Android Auto should be coming in July for all models with iDrive 7. I'll likely give it a go for shits and giggles but expect the same outcome as CarPlay being an overall no go for me on a daily basis. Perhaps a once in a while if there is a specific app to utilize, e.g., if it supports Amazon Music (doubtful) I'd leverage it on occasion to stream Ultra HD sources if it abides to the settings of the B&W.

Can you give the OP your recommendations as to sound profile, bass/treble levels and graphic equalizer setup—I think that's what they were after.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 07:40 AM   #5
markus2310
Rep

Thank you for your responses limeypride and bloozemanAZ !

It's weird that I can't change those settings in CarPlay anymore, it was possible in my previous 2018 M4, but oh well, the Bowers & Wilkins sounds amazing.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 10:28 PM   #6
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus2310 View Post
Thank you for your responses limeypride and bloozemanAZ !

It's weird that I can't change those settings in CarPlay anymore, it was possible in my previous 2018 M4, but oh well, the Bowers & Wilkins sounds amazing.
Interesting you could do that in your M4 with iDrive 6 as that leads me to believe somehow CarPlay could configure the head unit for sound settings. It is still somewhat mind boggling given CarPlay is a universal standard and not OEM specific but whatever was taking place obviously with iDrive 7 it is dead in the water.

On a side note you might want to check out this older thread: https://f92.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...p%3BW+Settings discussing B&W settings. In digging it up I realized that I did not followup with specific incremental settings for the equalizer vs just the pics. Another task to do so now that I have some time on my hands with the COVID-19 lockdown.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 01:18 PM   #7
markus2310
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Interesting you could do that in your M4 with iDrive 6 as that leads me to believe somehow CarPlay could configure the head unit for sound settings. It is still somewhat mind boggling given CarPlay is a universal standard and not OEM specific but whatever was taking place obviously with iDrive 7 it is dead in the water.

On a side note you might want to check out this older thread: https://f92.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...p%3BW+Settings discussing B&W settings. In digging it up I realized that I did not followup with specific incremental settings for the equalizer vs just the pics. Another task to do so now that I have some time on my hands with the COVID-19 lockdown.
Thank you, I guess I will play around with it a bit more : )
Appreciate 0