M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion 8 Series and Coding

04-15-2020, 08:44 PM   #1
tracythorne
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 850 GC

8 Series and Coding

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I recently brought home an 850 GC and was hoping to do some coding (disable start/stop amongst a few other things). I looked at the apps for Carly and Bimmercode and based on the slickness of the interphase for Carly, I ordered that.

The app and the webpage indicated about twenty things that could be coded on an 8 series.

Well - the device shows up, I plug it in, it scans the car right away and declares that I can code a whopping two items - neither of which I want to code.

Customer support from Carly stated that because I had a new car, it likely had a recent update to the operating system, and it will take Carly some time to get the new coding worked out for the other 18 or so functions. In the meantime, he suggested I not upgrade the system on my car.

As you can imagine, this was pretty frustrating and disappointing.

My question is this, if I buy one of the adaptors for Bimmercode, am I going to be dealing with the same problem? Does Bimmercode get crippled every time the OS get's updated? If so, how long does it usually take?

Thanks (and sorry if this is wrong place to post, but wasn't sure how unique this is the 8 series).
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2020, 09:02 PM   #2
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
Bought an adapter from Europe which arrived 10 days ago. Purchased BIMMERCODE via the app and completed all of the coding I wanted to do (including Auto Start/Stop) in about 10 minutes. So happy to recommend BIMMERCODE.
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2020, 10:21 PM   #3
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracythorne View Post
I recently brought home an 850 GC and was hoping to do some coding (disable start/stop amongst a few other things). I looked at the apps for Carly and Bimmercode and based on the slickness of the interphase for Carly, I ordered that.

The app and the webpage indicated about twenty things that could be coded on an 8 series.

Well - the device shows up, I plug it in, it scans the car right away and declares that I can code a whopping two items - neither of which I want to code.

Customer support from Carly stated that because I had a new car, it likely had a recent update to the operating system, and it will take Carly some time to get the new coding worked out for the other 18 or so functions. In the meantime, he suggested I not upgrade the system on my car.

As you can imagine, this was pretty frustrating and disappointing.

My question is this, if I buy one of the adaptors for Bimmercode, am I going to be dealing with the same problem? Does Bimmercode get crippled every time the OS get's updated? If so, how long does it usually take?

Thanks (and sorry if this is wrong place to post, but wasn't sure how unique this is the 8 series).
I had the same problem a year ago with mine. Bimmercode is 100% better than Carly or anything else. but yes, every update to the OS will take 6-12 months for bimmercode to "catch up" to code stuff.
I still have and use bimmercode because it's fast and easy. however, you need a real coder to get stuff done. there is a couple out there; but I recently used and I recommended Ben. you will need a laptop and a cable I bought on amazon.

send a private message to r33_RGSport
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12801.50
      04-15-2020, 10:36 PM   #4
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
I had the same problem a year ago with mine. Bimmercode is 100% better than Carly or anything else. but yes, every update to the OS will take 6-12 months for bimmercode to "catch up" to code stuff.
I still have and use bimmercode because it's fast and easy. however, you need a real coder to get stuff done. there is a couple out there; but I recently used and I recommended Ben. you will need a laptop and a cable I bought on amazon.

Yet another reason not to due the 03/2020 iDrive update.
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2020, 11:00 PM   #5
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Quote:

Yet another reason not to due the 03/2020 iDrive update.
yep, I had bimmercode a bunch of stuff. took mine in for the backup camera safety recall. they took 9.6 hours to update everything and undid all my coding.
bimmercode let me recode about half of it, but Ben did a great job coding most of the rest about a month or two ago for me.

I recommend him so much, r33_RGSport should give me a discount credit!!
Appreciate 2
      04-15-2020, 11:19 PM   #6
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
yep, I had bimmercode a bunch of stuff. took mine in for the backup camera safety recall. they took 9.6 hours to update everything and undid all my coding.
bimmercode let me recode about half of it, but Ben did a great job coding most of the rest about a month or two ago for me.

Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 12:48 AM   #7
Da808dad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp

Garage List
I just purchased a cable from r33_RGSport and an Ethernet to lightning adapter off of Amazon. Received the adapter already but for whatever reason when the cable shipped out of Cali and supposed to come to Hawaii, USPS sent it in the wrong direction and it's in New York. Gotta make sure I disinfect and sanitize the package before I open it. :

All the WiFi adapters bimmercode listed to use were unavailable because they were coming from Europe and COVID-19 concerns for shipping. But glad I was able to help out a seller here on the forums instead anyway.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12801.50
      04-16-2020, 08:30 AM   #8
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

Quote:

Same here. Ben r33_RGSport is outstanding and a pleasure to worth with. You can't go wrong with him.
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 2
      04-16-2020, 08:43 AM   #9
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da808dad View Post
I just purchased a cable from r33_RGSport and an Ethernet to lightning adapter off of Amazon. Received the adapter already but for whatever reason when the cable shipped out of Cali and supposed to come to Hawaii, USPS sent it in the wrong direction and it's in New York. Gotta make sure I disinfect and sanitize the package before I open it. :

All the WiFi adapters bimmercode listed to use were unavailable because they were coming from Europe and COVID-19 concerns for shipping. But glad I was able to help out a seller here on the forums instead anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot47fla View Post
Quote:

Same here. Ben r33_RGSport is outstanding and a pleasure to worth with. You can't go wrong with him.
Appreciate the kind words.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 4
      04-17-2020, 05:28 PM   #10
gustovier
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 840ix

Is there a list of things that can be coded with our 8s?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 06:22 PM   #11
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustovier View Post
ben has a list. but yes, everything from anti dazzle headlights, click open trunk, door window interrupts, etc.

P.S. the door/windows thing was amazing for the convertible. Before I would open my door and it would stop opening or lowering the top. Now it actually finishes, it's such an amazing feature.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12801.50
      04-18-2020, 05:55 AM   #12
BMWCARGUYM5X5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5, 2019 850i C

Garage List
2018 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot47fla View Post
Quote:

I agree Ben is phenomenal!!
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12801.50
      04-18-2020, 06:48 AM   #13
WCH
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M8C convertible

Garage List
Another vote for Ben's awesomeness.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12801.50
      04-18-2020, 01:32 PM   #14
Da808dad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustovier View Post
https://bimmercode.app/cars/g15/

That's on the Bimmercode website. Not sure if there's more once you actually purchase the app. I just received my adapter/cable from r33_RGSport last night so will be trying it out later today.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12801.50
      04-26-2020, 04:43 PM   #15
Dr.T
Rep
Drives: M850i

So what’s needed? The bimmercode app and cable from Ben? Or are 2 cables needed? Any other source for these cables? How much are the cables? What about adapters bimmercode sells?

Can you turn off the Front amber parking lights and close the windows with the key fob? Or close the trunk with the door mounted switch? I don’t see these on the bimmercode website list.

Last edited by Dr.T; 04-26-2020 at 05:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 06:48 PM   #16
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.T View Post
So what's needed? The bimmercode app and cable from Ben? Or are 2 cables needed? Any other source for these cables? How much are the cables? What about adapters bimmercode sells?

Can you turn off the Front amber parking lights and close the windows with the key fob? Or close the trunk with the door mounted switch? I don't see these on the bimmercode website list.
for those options you need r33_RGSport
Appreciate 2
      04-26-2020, 08:15 PM   #17
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Can you turn off the Front amber parking lights and close the windows with the key fob? Or close the trunk with the door mounted switch? I don’t see these on the bimmercode website list.
Interesting as never thought about the windows aspect with the key fob but that was part of the functionality on the last couple of Lexus' I owned. I just verified that with the key fob I can open and close the windows on my M850i without any coding whatsoever. Also, I can open/close the trunk with the door mounted switch with no coding whatsoever as I've done that several times already. Granted I have a 2020 M850i but can't see that being a factor against the 2019s as this is base functionality.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 08:47 PM   #18
Da808dad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So what's needed? The bimmercode app and cable from Ben? Or are 2 cables needed? Any other source for these cables? How much are the cables? What about adapters bimmercode sells?

Can you turn off the Front amber parking lights and close the windows with the key fob? Or close the trunk with the door mounted switch? I don't see these on the bimmercode website list.
If you order the cable from Ben then you are going to need an adapter depending on what type of phone you have. I have an iPhone so needed to by an Ethernet to lightning adapter which I got off of Amazon.

Majority of the WiFi adapters listed on bimmercode couldn't ship at this time from Europe because of COVID-19 or were more expensive than the cable from Ben.

As for the coding itself, you can code the trunk to both open and close with remote. Also has the option to both open and close the trunk with the button on the door. Not sure if that option is needed though as someone mentioned they could do that before the coding. I never tried to close it with the button before I coded it so not sure.

I read somewhere you could code out the front amber parking lights from coming on, but I didn't see that on the bimmercode app when I was looking through it.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12801.50
      04-26-2020, 09:05 PM   #19
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
As for the coding itself, you can code the trunk to both open and close with remote. Also has the option to both open and close the trunk with the button on the door. Not sure if that option is needed though as someone mentioned they could do that before the coding. I never tried to close it with the button before I coded it so not sure.
At least from a 2020 M850i perspective you would need coding for the key fob to open and close the trunk as on mine it will only open the trunk. The button on the door though with a single press down opens the trunk. Pull and hold the lever and it closes the trunk (including the large vehicle backing up sound that is also triggered with the foot kick under the bumper to close).
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 09:20 PM   #20
Da808dad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
At least from a 2020 M850i perspective you would need coding for the key fob to open and close the trunk as on mine it will only open the trunk. The button on the door though with a single press down opens the trunk. Pull and hold the lever and it closes the trunk (including the large vehicle backing up sound that is also triggered with the foot kick under the bumper to close).
I went to look at it again and it looks like the coding for the trunk switch on the door is to change whether it opens/closes by a push or pull of the door button. Also can set it to open/close with a long or short push/pull of the button.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 04:01 PM   #21
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I went to look at it again and it looks like the coding for the trunk switch on the door is to change whether it opens/closes by a push or pull of the door button. Also can set it to open/close with a long or short push/pull of the button.
yeah mine wouldn't work without Ben's coding on my 2019. also the anti dazzle, which is amazing in rural Virginia areas.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12801.50
      04-27-2020, 10:39 PM   #22
Dr.T
Rep
Drives: M850i

Quote:
Interesting as never thought about the windows aspect with the key fob but that was part of the functionality on the last couple of Lexus' I owned. I just verified that with the key fob I can open and close the windows on my M850i without any coding whatsoever. Also, I can open/close the trunk with the door mounted switch with no coding whatsoever as I've done that several times already. Granted I have a 2020 M850i but can't see that being a factor against the 2019s as this is base functionality.
Bloozeman, I stand corrected...my 2019 will open/close the windows/door locks with the key fob, but only open the trunk as you described. Same for the door mounted trunk switch... Thanks
Appreciate 1