M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion M8 Coupe Competition or M8 Gran Coupe Competition

04-29-2020, 11:49 AM   #1
seyon852
Rep
Drives: BMW G82 M4 Incoming

M8 Coupe Competition or M8 Gran Coupe Competition

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi There

I am looking for some advice and opinions for those who have driven both the M8 Gran Coupe Competition or the M8 Coupe Competition and wanted to know if there are any noticeable differences in driving and handling? And which one would you go for?

I don't necessarily need the extra seats, but would help at times, but can do with the smaller seats in the coupe if needs be, but just wanted to see if there were any noticeable differences?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 03:20 PM   #2
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Platform is the same and there's a slight weight increase on the GC, if you don't need the extra doors and seats get the coupe as it has nicer lines imho.

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 04:26 PM   #3
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
Platform is the same and there's a slight weight increase on the GC, if you don't need the extra doors and seats get the coupe as it has nicer lines imho.
Nicer lines!?! Buuuuuuullshit. I may be a tad biased but just "NO". // clearly, I am entirely biased but with some semblance of good reason I think

They don't share the same platform, though, right? The GC is an M5 underneath. The Coupe isn't.

At the OP, I can only compare it to my M5s (2 F90s in there) and it feels more rigid and composed at speed. Beyond that, and preserving the topic, I can add no more value having spent nowhere near enough time in a Coupe to comment.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
cfm56d7b5876.00
      04-29-2020, 05:43 PM   #4
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Yeah the platform is the CLAR which is modular and pushes out alot of chassis numbers for BMWAG.

The two cars probably drive differently with huge variances in wheelbase tallies. The Coupe has that shorter wb for handling while the GC is longer, stable and more comfortable.

Its a subjective shot on looks. Limeys car is bad ass but he did drop it and has that BITCHIN frozen paint. I really want to see a done up lowered coupe. I know Wolf dropped his but I think he wants more out of it.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black

Last edited by Vic55; 04-29-2020 at 05:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 08:57 PM   #5
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Nicer lines!?! Buuuuuuullshit. I may be a tad biased but just "NO". // clearly, I am entirely biased but with some semblance of good reason I think

They don't share the same platform, though, right? The GC is an M5 underneath. The Coupe isn't.

At the OP, I can only compare it to my M5s (2 F90s in there) and it feels more rigid and composed at speed. Beyond that, and preserving the topic, I can add no more value having spent nowhere near enough time in a Coupe to comment.
4 door sports cars are a bit of an oxymoron
From the front and rear the GC and coupes/cabs all look mostly similar but from the sides, 3/4 views etc the 2 door coupes have much nicer/cleaner lines than the GC's imho, sorry. And yes platforms are the same.

Last edited by RJC-1; 04-29-2020 at 09:31 PM..
Appreciate 2
HotRodM4682.50
      04-29-2020, 09:07 PM   #6
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Yeah the platform is the CLAR which is modular and pushes out alot of chassis numbers for BMWAG.

The two cars probably drive differently with huge variances in wheelbase tallies. The Coupe has that shorter wb for handling while the GC is longer, stable and more comfortable.

Its a subjective shot on looks. Limeys car is bad ass but he did drop it and has that BITCHIN frozen paint. I really want to see a done up lowered coupe. I know Wolf dropped his but I think he wants more out of it.
Don't know if this is lowered but the pic speaks for itself (just compare the side shots), even without the frozen paint.
Attached Images

Last edited by RJC-1; 04-29-2020 at 09:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 09:33 PM   #7
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
Quote:
Don't know if this is lowered but the pic speaks for itself (just compare the side shots), even without the frozen paint.
There is definitely 1”+ of height difference between the 2 cars plus the spacers make a big difference in the stance with the GC.
Tires are upsized too if I remember.
Limey’s drop looks spot on and love the frozen paint as well 👍
All 8 series cars are sitting just too tall stock IMO.

Doesn’t the GC have Carbon Core like the coupe? Thought the M5 doesn’t...
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 09:40 PM   #8
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
There is definitely 1”+ of height difference between the 2 cars plus the spacers make a big difference in the stance with the GC.
Limey’s drop looks spot on and love the frozen paint as well ��

I believe they do (so does the 7 series), and yes the 8's are up a bit too high, but more importantly the rears need spacers especially on the M850's. You've got to admit, that white M8 coupe is stunning.

Last edited by RJC-1; 04-29-2020 at 09:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 10:22 PM   #9
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
4 door sports cars are a bit of an oxymoron
From the front and rear the GC and coupes/cabs all look mostly similar but from the sides, 3/4 views etc the 2 door coupes have much nicer/cleaner lines than the GC's imho, sorry. And yes platforms are the same.
No need to apologize--it's subjective. I've always loved them--2 M6C GCs attest to that. Looking at the pic you posted, I'd still lean 4-door... beauty, beholder, etc.

Yup, my bad on the platforms.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 10:23 PM   #10
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It is lowered; spacers and larger tires, too.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 10:24 PM   #11
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
Limey’s drop looks spot on and love the frozen paint as well ��

All correct. And thanks!

Yes, carbon core is stamped right where it should be. The M5s don't have it--perhaps that's where the feeling of additional rigidity comes from.

PS: just added Eventuri intake--whoosh whoosh! LOVE IT.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 10:46 PM   #12
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It is lowered; spacers and larger tires, too.
Thanks, I was referring to the M8C coupe in the pic as it looks stock but I couldn't tell.

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 10:52 PM   #13
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, I was referring to the M8C coupe in the pic as it looks stock but I couldn't tell.
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh, then no idea; not my car.

PS: doesn't look stock to me--nowhere near enough visible arch gap but, nonetheless, needs another 1" or so.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 09:01 AM   #14
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh, then no idea; not my car.

PS: doesn't look stock to me--nowhere near enough visible arch gap but, nonetheless, needs another 1" or so.
And it looks a bit "shopped" in the Photo... When I look at pictures of the M8 CE on a dealer website (fairest basic pic to compare pic to pic) it doesnt look like that white one posted above at all. It may be the angle too as the pic is below the center of the car; and yes white does look good
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 09:05 AM   #15
seyon852
Rep

limeypride love what you done with your M8 GC, it looks sick! the white M8C coupe does look good too, i'm torn between the 2 in terms of looks, but have heard that there aren't that many differences in drive between the M8GC and the coupe. The M8 GC is meant to be more stable and comfortable, but the wheelbase is only 20cm longer than the Coupe and the weight difference is minimal, so it might just be a matter of preference too I guess. I am leaning towards the GC only because I had just come from an M850i coupe. But am really torn! haha first world problems I guess.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 09:21 AM   #16
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seyon852 View Post
limeypride love what you done with your M8 GC, it looks sick! the white M8C coupe does look good too, i'm torn between the 2 in terms of looks, but have heard that there aren't that many differences in drive between the M8GC and the coupe. The M8 GC is meant to be more stable and comfortable, but the wheelbase is only 20cm longer than the Coupe and the weight difference is minimal, so it might just be a matter of preference too I guess. I am leaning towards the GC only because I had just come from an M850i coupe. But am really torn! haha first world problems I guess.
8 inches on a wheelbase variance is huge... It makes a big difference in handling based on my experience with Ferrari, Porsche, AMG, M, Audi RS/R. There are compromises one must give up of course like I mentioned much earlier in this thread. I personally will opt towards the handling side vs the comfort gain due to the wheelbase variances. I dont need the rear seats or the GC would take the cake.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 09:21 AM   #17
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
I've driven the GC and Coupe. I'll say the grancoupe is far more comfortable, but it looks like you borrowed your grandpa's car.
the coupe is more sporty, and looks like you borrowed your dad's car.

The convertible is where it's at for me. you can see the sky and get a nice ride. all the benefits of a lower CG and best handling.

but maybe that's why the CV is $10k more than the Coupe which is $10k more than the GC.

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 10:07 AM   #18
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
Quote:
I've driven the GC and Coupe. I'll say the grancoupe is far more comfortable, but it looks like you borrowed your grandpa's car.
the coupe is more sporty, and looks like you borrowed your dad's car.

The convertible is where it's at for me. you can see the sky and get a nice ride. all the benefits of a lower CG and best handling.

but maybe that's why the CV is $10k more than the Coupe which is $10k more than the GC.

Awwww, so nice of you to say.

The base price of the Coupe in Comp trim is $3K more than the GC in the same trim... which still perplexes me but hey ho.
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2020, 10:17 AM   #19
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Take a look here:

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=25919600

New springs, spacers, new tires, tints, tune, intake. New paddle shifters on the inside. The thread above has all the details.
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2020, 10:46 AM   #20
seyon852
Rep

Yeah I thought there would be some compromises with the GC in terms of handling but not sure on usual roads and twistys if it is that noticeable? unless you are tracking the car? ive had an F90 and that handles well even on bends etc. and surely the GC should handle even better than that? but yeah I guess there are pros and cons of both the coupe and the gran coupe
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 10:59 AM   #21
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I thought there would be some compromises with the GC in terms of handling but not sure on usual roads and twistys if it is that noticeable? unless you are tracking the car? ive had an F90 and that handles well even on bends etc. and surely the GC should handle even better than that? but yeah I guess there are pros and cons of both the coupe and the gran coupe
Wheelbase will make a big difference even off track like sharp bends and big turns and general daily curves around the city. The GC should be close to the F90 even though its a bit longer in overall length and wheel base. I would drive both F9X's and incorporate more than just straight line drives (Im sure you might have).
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 11:17 AM   #22
seyon852
Rep

yeah I guess that is true, thanks for the advice, will look in to it, but has made me think twice now. I have driven the M8 Coupe, just over here we don't have any M8 Gran Coupes to drive, well can't test drive at all right now anyway, so will have to give it a serious think.
Appreciate 1