M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Digital Key

04-19-2020, 03:48 PM   #1
Ehloo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 x5 m

Digital Key

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Was looking for my tire tread gauge in my glove box and stumbled across the digital key card.

Wasn’t aware it was even an option. Anybody using it and feed back.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 06:29 PM   #2
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehloo View Post
Was looking for my tire tread gauge in my glove box and stumbled across the digital key card.

Wasn’t aware it was even an option. Anybody using it and feed back.
Unlike the Smartphone Digital Key (late model Samsung only) that requires a bunch of steps to activate the NFC key card is easy. Just place it on the charging tray with iDrive active and it will prompt if you want to activate the key card. I too discovered mine in the glove box after someone else posted there's was in there vs handed over by the dealer along with the physical keys.

I activated mine as primarily a back up key as for the most part it's pretty inconvenient. To unlock the car you need to physically place it on the door handle vs with the real key you can keep it in your pocket and just grab the handle. To start the car with the NFC key card you just place it on the charging tray and off you go.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 07:55 PM   #3
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehloo View Post

Wasn't aware it was even an option. Anybody using it and feed back.
I've kept it in my wallet and used it a few times, but it's not worth it. after 1 year, they charge for it too. it's not free but it's still extra $$$.

However, with the display key, if I don't charge it for a while, I sometimes worry it won't start; so it might be nice to have a backup.
but I think I'd rather switch to the regular key instead of pay for a credit card key with display key.

although the display key does charge in the middle wireless charge tray.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 09:18 PM   #4
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
I've kept it in my wallet and used it a few times, but it's not worth it. after 1 year, they charge for it too. it's not free but it's still extra $$$.

However, with the display key, if I don't charge it for a while, I sometimes worry it won't start; so it might be nice to have a backup.
but I think I'd rather switch to the regular key instead of pay for a credit card key with display key.

Interesting as although the 2020 M850i's they still are provided for the M8's (likely a small differential in exclusivity although if willing to pay the price they'll still work on a M850i). However, if memory serves from a couple of posts the M8's come with a Display Key as well as at least one if not two regular keys. Did your 2019 M850i only come with a pair of Display Keys and the NFC card?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 10:09 PM   #5
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Quote:

Interesting as although the 2020 M850i's they still are provided for the M8's (likely a small differential in exclusivity although if willing to pay the price they'll still work on a M850i). However, if memory serves from a couple of posts the M8's come with a Display Key as well as at least one if not two regular keys. Did your 2019 M850i only come with a pair of Display Keys and the NFC card?
I was told the 2019 had display keys and the 2020 only had regular keys.

My 2019 M850i came with display key and digital key card.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 10:31 PM   #6
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Yes, the 2020s come with two regular keys along with the NFC key card. Seems like BMW short changed the 2019s as that should have been two Display Keys or a Display Key and a regular key. Whom cares about the NFC key card as in reality it is just a backup at best.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 10:36 PM   #7
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Quote:

Yes, the 2020s come with two regular keys along with the NFC key card. Seems like BMW short changed the 2019s as that should have been two Display Keys or a Display Key and a regular key. Whom cares about the NFC key card as in reality it is just a backup at best.
Yeah I asked for a second display key, but didn't get it. They gave me 2 metal keys, 1 Bmw key fob, 1 display key, and 1 black key card.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 05:08 AM   #8
NOMRW8NG
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Quote:

You can turn off the display key in order to extend the time between recharging. Push and hold the power button (on the left side, next to the mini-USB charging port for 5-10 seconds and you'll see an option to power off. The key still seems to discharge even when off, but it takes longer, so I'm not convinced it's really powering off. Maybe this is just turning off the display while leaving the key active.

When the key is off, press and hold the power button to turn it back on. If the key is discharged, you'll see a picture of a red battery that's telling you to charge the key.

Last edited by NOMRW8NG; 04-22-2020 at 05:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 11:16 AM   #9
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOMRW8NG View Post
Quote:

You can turn off the display key in order to extend the time between recharging. Push and hold the power button (on the left side, next to the mini-USB charging port for 5-10 seconds and you'll see an option to power off. The key still seems to discharge even when off, but it takes longer, so I'm not convinced it's really powering off. Maybe this is just turning off the display while leaving the key active.

When the key is off, press and hold the power button to turn it back on. If the key is discharged, you'll see a picture of a red battery that's telling you to charge the key.
That's cool thanks. I didn't know it turned off.
Appreciate 0