M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion 2020 BMW M8 Competition Coupe First Test Review [Motortrend]

04-09-2020, 09:59 PM   #45
Ehloo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 x5 m

Don’t think I could of said it better than Wolfman. The m8 despite its price tag is not the jack of trades. I wouldn’t want it to be. It’s a large very refined GT that has endless power, pretty damn good handling and very comfortable. Love every aspect of the car ( except back seats) and really fits my bill. The older I get the more refinement I seek. If I wanted a heavily focused track car I would have another car for that. The buyer profile for the m8 prob could afford other cars that are more dedicated for specific purposes

So people need to get off the concept that the most expensive Bmw needs to achieve everything at the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
It is interesting to see that Mercedes, once the black sheep for anything steering has come and surpassed BMW in that area. Not all models to be sure but some (all AMG) that are several steps above.

That said, I don't think there is value about people complaining/whining about the M8 steering without having ever driven one. Qualified opinions matter...

The GTI is a surprisingly capable all around car but I wouldn't want that steering in the M8. Not comparable or even relevant IMO.
The M8 is a heavy, high powered GT and I want the steering to match the demeanor of the overall car.
If anything I would like the car to loose 500lbs before I worry about the steering
Appreciate 1
limeypride4418.50
      04-09-2020, 10:15 PM   #46
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehloo View Post
Don't think I could of said it better than Wolfman. The m8 despite its price tag is not the jack of trades. I wouldn't want it to be. It's a large very refined GT that has endless power, pretty damn good handling and very comfortable. Love every aspect of the car ( except back seats) and really fits my bill. The older I get the more refinement I seek. If I wanted a heavily focused track car I would have another car for that. The buyer profile for the m8 prob could afford other cars that are more dedicated for specific purposes

So people need to get off the concept that the most expensive Bmw needs to achieve everything at the highest level.
+1

Add the GC into the mix and you'll love the backseats, too.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 12:37 AM   #47
DallasLife345M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Uber

What's the braking issues he mentions? Brake by wire? That's concerning to me. Can someone please elaborate on this?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 07:54 AM   #48
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehloo View Post
Don't think I could of said it better than Wolfman. The m8 despite its price tag is not the jack of trades. I wouldn't want it to be. It's a large very refined GT that has endless power, pretty damn good handling and very comfortable. Love every aspect of the car ( except back seats) and really fits my bill. The older I get the more refinement I seek. If I wanted a heavily focused track car I would have another car for that. The buyer profile for the m8 prob could afford other cars that are more dedicated for specific purposes

+1

Add the GC into the mix and you'll love the backseats, too.
I test drive the gram coupe and I agree, if you use four doors, it makes a great back seat.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 08:02 AM   #49
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasLife345M View Post
What's the braking issues he mentions? Brake by wire? That's concerning to me. Can someone please elaborate on this?
Quote:
Yes all the Bmw 8 series use a brake by wire. Similar to drive by wire. There is nothing connecting your pedals to the brakes.
In an older car, the foot pedal is actually connected to a metal rod that applies the brakes in most cars.
In the 8s, Bmw uses an electric cables to the box to apply brakes. It's similar to a video game. Think when you're playing Forza 4 and you hit the B button. The computer thinks and tries to figure out how much brake you need and electronically applies it.

See this video:
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 09:07 AM   #50
DallasLife345M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Uber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Yes all the Bmw 8 series use a brake by wire. Similar to drive by wire. There is nothing connecting your pedals to the brakes.
In an older car, the foot pedal is actually connected to a metal rod that applies the brakes in most cars.
In the 8s, Bmw uses an electric cables to the box to apply brakes. It's similar to a video game. Think when you're playing Forza 4 and you hit the B button. The computer thinks and tries to figure out how much brake you need and electronically applies it.

See this video:
Thanks for explaining. For those who have an M8, what's your experience with this?
Appreciate 1