M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Convertible is the best m850i

04-09-2020, 01:34 PM   #1
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Convertible is the best m850i

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
yep: https://www.bmwblog.com/2020/04/08/m...a-convertible/
Appreciate 2
WCH347.00
      04-09-2020, 03:23 PM   #2
hilsman
Private
Rep
Drives: F90 Competition

I completely agree....particularly in M8 format!
Appreciate 5
WCH347.00
fbuzila365.50
      04-09-2020, 05:10 PM   #3
WCH
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M8C convertible

Garage List
I also agree. Being able to put down the top brings out the best in the car.
Appreciate 3
      04-09-2020, 07:06 PM   #4
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
I also agree. Being able to put down the top brings out the best in the car.
It sure does suit the car ... but mine would probably look downright stupid without a roof. Photoshop anyone?
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2020, 08:24 PM   #5
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
I'm in love with my carbon fiber roof but can understand the argument for the convertible. As the saying goes from my band days, "when in doubt turn it up"! With the top down on a convertible that most certainly lets the glorious sound of the twin turbo V8 and exhaust produce the absolute best musical landscape for the driver behind the wheel.
Appreciate 2
      04-09-2020, 10:26 PM   #6
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
I'm in love with my carbon fiber roof but can understand the argument for the convertible. As the saying goes from my band days, "when in doubt turn it up"! With the top down on a convertible that most certainly lets the glorious sound of the twin turbo V8 and exhaust produce the absolute best musical landscape for the driver behind the wheel.
I agree. I think part of is that most convertibles are horrible because they add weight and reduce structure.
But the 8 series is so large, stiff, and well built that it adds a lot to drop the top. Besides being able to see everything and hear the v8, I think it's strong and smooth enough that with the windows up, you barely notice your going from 0 to 60 in the blink of eye. The sounds of the engine are still louder than the wind at 80 mph!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 10:46 PM   #7
Ehloo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 x5 m

If it was hardtop it would be the best
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 06:00 PM   #8
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
I agree. I think part of is that most convertibles are horrible because they add weight and reduce structure.
But the 8 series is so large, stiff, and well built that it adds a lot to drop the top. Besides being able to see everything and hear the v8, I think it's strong and smooth enough that with the windows up, you barely notice your going from 0 to 60 in the blink of eye. The sounds of the engine are still louder than the wind at 80 mph!
Wow, i.e., the engine still overpowers the wind at 80 mph. Now I'm somewhat regretting my choice to a small degree. One thing is here in AZ fabric tops take a beating from the AZ sun but then again I have a friend that drives with his down on a Mini Cooper all summer long and just blasts the AC full bore.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 06:06 PM   #9
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehloo View Post
Agreed and one thing I liked about the M4 convertible but that seemed to be a 50/50 love hate relationship with half the reviewers beating it up for the extra weight and calling out that it should have been a fabric top. On the M850i or M8/M8C convertibles the added weight of a hardtop over fabric would be a smaller hit on performance vs the M4. Most everyone expects the next gen M4 to be a fabric top for the convertible and some spy photos appear to confirm that.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 06:09 PM   #10
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Quote:
Agreed and one thing I liked about the M4 convertible but that seemed to be a 50/50 love hate relationship with half the reviewers beating it up for the extra weight and calling out that it should have been a fabric top. On the M850i or M8/M8C convertibles the added weight of a hardtop over fabric would be a smaller hit on performance vs the M4. Most everyone expects the next gen M4 to be a fabric top for the convertible and some spy photos appear to confirm that.
Yeah, hard tops seem to be going out of favor for vehicles that aren't supercars/exotics or the Corvette and Miata. Even the SL is going back to soft-top and unlike the 90's and early 2000's company's aren't making any remove-able hard tops that can be used off-season.
      04-10-2020, 06:24 PM   #11
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Wow, i.e., the engine still overpowers the wind at 80 mph. Now I'm somewhat regretting my choice to a small degree. One thing is here in AZ fabric tops take a beating from the AZ sun but then again I have a friend that drives with his down on a Mini Cooper all summer long and just blasts the AC full bore.
yeah, I'm often in the summer at stop lights or traffic with top down, windows up, ac on max. the max AC button really helps with that. then when we get going to speed, off the AC and all windows down button. Those 2 buttons in the car in addition to being able to raise and lower the top at 30 mph in 15 seconds; really sold me on the convertible. the windows come up and down in a few seconds, and the AC max has different flow patterns and speed if the windows are up or down, with the top. it's like 4 settings in 1 button automatic.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 06:30 PM   #12
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, hard tops seem to be going out of favor for vehicles that aren't supercars/exotics or the Corvette and Miata. Even the SL is going back to soft-top and unlike the 90's and early 2000's company's aren't making any remove-able hard tops that can be used off-season.
yep. I was in the market for a Mercedes when I bought my m850i. it's all those points and more. People aren't buying convertibles, it's all SUVs. Also the weight of a hard top, and the speed. it's hard to get them up and down in under 15 seconds automatically at speeds of 30 mph.
Also trunk space. this is more important than you think. the "average" buyer of a high end convertible is typically a middle aged Golf club member. So the car needs to be able to hold 2 full sets of clubs and 2 passengers. and that's hard to do with a hard top.

Also, less country clubs (our membership is down 76% in the past 5 years), and less golfers, and less convertibles; it's becoming a downward spiral.

couple that with the fact that most their target buyers have 1-2 kids, means you need a solid 4 seater and that's a lot of metal to move around vs. a rag top.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      04-10-2020, 09:09 PM   #13
WCH
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So the car needs to be able to hold 2 full sets of clubs and 2 passengers. and that's hard to do with a hard top.
Yup. Got tired of trying to put my clubs in my 911 Turbo and was driving it less and less. A key test for me was whether my clubs would fit in the M8 convertible. As long as I take the driver out, they fit top up or down.
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2020, 09:51 PM   #14
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
So the car needs to be able to hold 2 full sets of clubs and 2 passengers. and that's hard to do with a hard top.
Yup. Got tired of trying to put my clubs in my 911 Turbo and was driving it less and less. A key test for me was whether my clubs would fit in the M8 convertible. As long as I take the driver out, they fit top up or down.
Haha, nice! Have you tried dropping the rear split seat and putting your clubs long ways??
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2020, 10:01 PM   #15
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Although I love golfing I frankly suck so my participation is generally in the way of a scramble event for charity. Good news is my bag easily fits in the trunk of the M850i so I can show up and embarrass myself when the time comes to do so.
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2020, 10:34 PM   #16
WCH
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Haha, nice! Have you tried dropping the rear split seat and putting your clubs long ways??
Yes. But happy that I can put them without dropping the seats.
Appreciate 1