M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Dealer drilled the front bumper for plates :(

04-10-2020, 12:59 PM   #1
jseif
Rep
Drives: 535i

Dealer drilled the front bumper for plates :(

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
So my GC arrived at the dealer 2 days ago. I emailed my sales person the same day asking them to make sure the front bumper isn't drilled for a front license plate. While they are required in California, nice cars generally don't have it.

Looks like they drilled it as part of delivery inspection.

On my previous car purchases, I've either been asked before delivery or purchase (including from this dealership). I'm quite surprised that they would do this, especially on this car, without checking.

At this point I'm leaning to get them to fix it before I get the car. Am I being unreasonable? What do you all think?
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2020, 02:17 PM   #2
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseif View Post
So my GC arrived at the dealer 2 days ago. I emailed my sales person the same day asking them to make sure the front bumper isn't drilled for a front license plate. While they are required in California, nice cars generally don't have it.

Looks like they drilled it as part of delivery inspection.

On my previous car purchases, I've either been asked before delivery or purchase (including from this dealership). I'm quite surprised that they would do this, especially on this car, without checking.

At this point I'm leaning to get them to fix it before I get the car. Am I being unreasonable? What do you all think?
I guess it depends how it looks. Color of the car, location of the holes, etc. If it sticks out like a sore thumb, refuse delivery until they fix it. If not, put the screws in and live with it (or actually wear the front plate I guess).

Do you have a pic?

Last edited by limeypride; 04-10-2020 at 02:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 02:24 PM   #3
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

My guy asked before he drilled. It's probably something you can ask them to patch and fix. Although it might delay your delivery a week.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 03:09 PM   #4
jseif
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
I guess it depends how it looks. Color of the car, location of the holes, etc. If it sticks out like a sore thumb, refuse delivery until they fix it. If not, put the screws in and live with it (or actually wear the front plate I guess).

Do you have a pic?
I don't have a pic. The car is sonic blue.
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2020, 03:29 PM   #5
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseif View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post

Do you have a pic?
I don't have a pic. The car is sonic blue.
I'd probably get them to fix it assuming you definitely don't want the front plate.
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2020, 04:06 PM   #6
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Maybe the dealer tried to improve the engine cooling? Ask him to install Eventuri scoops behind those holes.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 04:18 PM   #7
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

It bothers you. It will bother you every time you glance at it. You have leverage now that you won't have again. They screwed up. Make them fix it.
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 04:19 PM   #8
WCH
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M8C convertible

Garage List
If you aren't going to run a front plate, I'd get the dealer to fix. If you are going to run a front plate or don't care, then I would just go with it.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 04:23 PM   #9
jseif
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Maybe the dealer tried to improve the engine cooling? Ask him to install Eventuri scoops behind those holes.

Thanks all for the replies. I should have mentioned I was planning on not having front plates. I'll ask them to fix it. redhot47fla is spot on, knowing me it would bother me every time I looked at it.
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2020, 04:31 PM   #10
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

A big question is how will they fix it? Will they putty the holes and spray the entire bumper? I would definitely not opt for that as their respray will suck compared to the OEM job. If they can get more creative and only repair the unique location (holes) then maybe that would be ok.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 04:39 PM   #11
Da808dad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
A big question is how will they fix it? Will they putty the holes and spray the entire bumper? I would definitely not opt for that as their respray will suck compared to the OEM job. If they can get more creative and only repair the unique location (holes) then maybe that would be ok.
I would think it depends on the body shop the dealer uses. Any good body shop would be able to fill the holes and blend the paint job for just the areas with the holes, no need to spray the whole bumper just for patching those 4 small holes. The good part is that since the car is brand new it should be easy for the body shop to match the paint exactly and not have to worry about paint fade due to age, sun, etc.

However, this is assuming that your dealer uses a good and reputable body shop to do their work.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 04:42 PM   #12
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

You can buy paint matched bumper plugs, but... man... this story would really piss me off. I would probably ask for a new bumper.
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2020, 05:23 PM   #13
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
You can buy paint matched bumper plugs, but... man... this story would really piss me off. I would probably ask for a new bumper.
Yes.... this place has been around forever:

https://www.bumperplugs.com/
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2020, 05:58 PM   #14
Da808dad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Quote:
Yes.... this place has been around forever:

https://www.bumperplugs.com/
Had these on my e46 M3 back in the day. They work but still does not look the best.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 06:58 PM   #15
hilsman
Private
Rep
Drives: F90 Competition

Looks way better than empty holes or mismatched paint. Just sayin....
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 07:12 PM   #16
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsman View Post
Looks way better than empty holes or mismatched paint. Just sayin....
agree ---- its a bandaid on a bullethole
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7834.00
      04-10-2020, 07:44 PM   #17
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Perhaps slightly off topic but this is one thing I do not get about CA, i.e., a front license plate is required yet a good percentage of cars do not have them. When I sold my outgoing Lexus to my son in San Diego this was a topic of concern. We first passed on (free of charge) my wife's outgoing Ford Explorer when I bought her X5 to him but it had the mounting for a plate on the front bumper built-in. For the Lexus they provided that depending on the state of delivery. Since I bought it here in AZ it did not come with that but told him I would get an aftermarket product, e.g., a Platypus mount.

To that point here's the Platypus for a M850i that likely can likely be used for a Grande Coupe as well with zero drilling (https://www.cravenspeed.com/front-li...2020-bmw-M850i). Why a dealer would drill into the bumper is completely asinine in my opinion when for less than $100 you can be compliant to the law.

The compliance is the key as without a front license plate in CA any law enforcement officer can pull you over and incite you for the infraction. It's like a non-working taillight, i.e., it opens the door for law enforcement and everything discovered after the reason for the initial stop just adds insult to injury, e.g., you have a couple of cocktails at happy hour and then drive home. Initial justification for the stop turns into "I smell alcohol on your breath" and here comes the breathalyzer. In AZ that is 100% dangerous as at .08 being the baseline for a DUI even though the driver may not be truly impaired whatsoever the nightmare ensues of legal fees, court dates and if not expunged fines and increased insurance. The same goes for CA so I bought the Platypus mount for the Lexus for my son whom is 25 and although mostly responsible it wasn't worth the risk vs $100.
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2020, 08:20 PM   #18
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Perhaps slightly off topic but this is one thing I do not get about CA, i.e., a front license plate is required yet a good percentage of cars do not have them. When I sold my outgoing Lexus to my son in San Diego this was a topic of concern. We first passed on (free of charge) my wife's outgoing Ford Explorer when I bought her X5 to him but it had the mounting for a plate on the front bumper built-in. For the Lexus they provided that depending on the state of delivery. Since I bought it here in AZ it did not come with that but told him I would get an aftermarket product, e.g., a Platypus mount.

To that point here's the Platypus for a M850i that likely can likely be used for a Grande Coupe as well with zero drilling (https://www.cravenspeed.com/front-li...2020-bmw-M850i). Why a dealer would drill into the bumper is completely asinine in my opinion when for less than $100 you can be compliant to the law.

The compliance is the key as without a front license plate in CA any law enforcement officer can pull you over and incite you for the infraction. It's like a non-working taillight, i.e., it opens the door for law enforcement and everything discovered after the reason for the initial stop just adds insult to injury, e.g., you have a couple of cocktails at happy hour and then drive home. Initial justification for the stop turns into "I smell alcohol on your breath" and here comes the breathalyzer. In AZ that is 100% dangerous as at .08 being the baseline for a DUI even though the driver may not be truly impaired whatsoever the nightmare ensues of legal fees, court dates and if not expunged fines and increased insurance. The same goes for CA so I bought the Platypus mount for the Lexus for my son whom is 25 and although mostly responsible it wasn't worth the risk vs $100.
I agree 1000%, but as a DWI defense attorney, I'll add that 0.08 is the standard in almost every state and it only shifts the burden of proof. legally speaking instead of innocent until proven guilty; you are now guilty until proven innocent above 0.08.
also while I agree it's low and should really be higher, I'll admit a 0.08 is pretty drunk. First it's at the station, which is usually an hour after your last drink unless you're drinking in the car while driving. Second, most states like Virginia and AZ have added penalties above 0.15 and 0.20, etc.
thirdly, 0.08 on a DUI on a normal healthy 200 lbs adult male is about 4 drinks in under an hour. Roughly a full 6 pack in one hour is required because of the typical lag to the police station.

if you're ever worried, don't blow. but still know it takes almost a full liquor bottle in under a 8 hour period to get "over the limit".
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 08:51 PM   #19
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
I agree 1000%, but as a DWI defense attorney, I'll add that 0.08 is the standard in almost every state and it only shifts the burden of proof. legally speaking instead of innocent until proven guilty; you are now guilty until proven innocent above 0.08.
also while I agree it's low and should really be higher, I'll admit a 0.08 is pretty drunk. First it's at the station, which is usually an hour after your last drink unless you're drinking in the car while driving. Second, most states like Virginia and AZ have added penalties above 0.15 and 0.20, etc.
thirdly, 0.08 on a DUI on a normal healthy 200 lbs adult male is about 4 drinks in under an hour. Roughly a full 6 pack in one hour is required because of the typical lag to the police station.

if you're ever worried, don't blow. but still know it takes almost a full liquor bottle in under a 8 hour period to get "over the limit".
I figured you would chime in given your extensive experience as a defense attorney. I did not know that the majority of the states have adopted .08 as when AZ did so many years back according to the news it was one of the most stringent at the time. At least here in AZ if you refuse a breathalyzer given the implied consent law your license is immediately suspended for 12 months while they still try to build the case against you.

For the most part all rational adults do not drink and drive anymore but was just calling out the happy hour situation so appreciate the extra insight on how much to potentially consume and still be safe. I for one stop drinking at happy hours, dinner, etc. at a minimum of a hour or greater before heading home. If there is any question in my mind here comes the Uber.
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2020, 09:21 PM   #20
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post

I figured you would chime in given your extensive experience as a defense attorney. I did not know that the majority of the states have adopted .08 as when AZ did so many years back according to the news it was one of the most stringent at the time. At least here in AZ if you refuse a breathalyzer given the implied consent law your license is immediately suspended for 12 months while they still try to build the case against you.

For the most part all rational adults do not drink and drive anymore but was just calling out the happy hour situation so appreciate the extra insight on how much to potentially consume and still be safe. I for one stop drinking at happy hours, dinner, etc. at a minimum of a hour or greater before heading home. If there is any question in my mind here comes the Uber.
Hahaha, you're right! For safety, think 1 drink, 1 one hundred pounds, 1 hour. So for a 100 lb woman that's a full bottle of wine in 4 hours to still be clear 0.00 safe.
For a 200 lb guy, 2 beers at the bar and 1 shot in 2 hours is still 0.00 zeros.

We undergo specific CLE (continuing legal education) every year to stay current on DUI and DWI technology.

I'll add that most states like VA and AZ have caught up to "implied consent", meaning if you drive you agree to blow or lose your license for a year.

However, keep in mind it's a civil forfeiture of your license without fault or admit guilt. After a year, you can drive.
Compared to a criminal misdemeanor or felony DWI/DUI which in VA both stays on your record for life, requires SR22 insurance, and you guaranteed to lose your licenses for a year or more. In addition to having to install a blow and go in EVERY vehicles you own or operate. Also anywhere from 12 months to 20 years in jail, and a fine from $2,500 to $200,000 for a DWI/DUI.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 09:45 PM   #21
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Not to get off topic, but also there is a difference between the side of road and station. In any DUI, first the officer must have RAS for P.C.
to get Reasonable Articulable Suspicions, the officer has to see you do something repeatedly illegal or possible related to drunk driving. Like weaving around or multiple lane changes with no signals or speeding. (It has to be more than a busted tail light, but there's ways around it). Once they have enough RAS, it needs to rise to the level of Probable Cause.
This is an easy one, as the officer says "do you know why I pulled you over?" Or "have you been drinking tonight?" And any answer like "1 beer" is enough for P.C.
Now the cop says "let's step outside the car". This is all optional. You don't have to do any of it, but most people do. Also while I can go in details of each of the "tests" like HGZ, Walk and Turn, etc; it really doesn't matter. You always fail and the cop can say almost anything because a drunk person is a bad witness against a sober cop. It usually goes something like this: O: "I observed the defendant stumbling to open the door and get out of the car. The defendant was unsteady on their feet and swaying back and forth with blood shot eyes and slurred speech. "

This will almost always get you to the PBT [preliminary breath test] which again is optional because it's never accurate. I can go for hours, but the machines are kept in the back of a hot cop car and never calibrated correctly. They also are not scientific. You will be arrested almost no matter what blow here, but it's optional and you should never blow.

Now they haul you down to the station. They have to watch you for 20 minutes without burping or belches. Then you have the first REAL question and you have to make a choice.
If you don't blow you lose your license for a year or more.
If you do blow, this becomes evidence against you. You will blow 3 times. One base line / calibration. One first sample and then 2nd sample. They will take the LOWER of the 2 tests.
If you tinker with this test, you'll be charged like a refusals.

Keep in mind this is an hour long process and you're probably sober by now. But if you're still blowing a 0.48 [like a client of mine many years ago]; you are legally dead and should be black out drunk, not driving a car - like my client was attempting to drive.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 09:49 PM   #22
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

P.S. and yes. Uber is well worth it. Even Uber black and having your car tower is way cheaper than even an attorney fees. While it's different everywhere and different DWI cases, my fees Started at $5,000+ and went up quickly. A typical attorney fee is around $10k and if it's your 3rd it's a felony.
Appreciate 0