M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion AC Issues ??

05-27-2020, 09:28 AM   #23
sfy2905
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg_vegas View Post
Well I'm back in the shop for my first AC diagnosis on my second M8 in 90 days. We'll see what they find.

Issues :
Cools okay at a stoplight
Cooling stops and becomes warm air with acceleration
Cooling returns with steady throttle or deceleration
Cooling goes away at higher rpms (above 3500)
Cooling returns if I shift to a higher gear to lower rpms
Cooling sometimes stops altogether. Pull over, turn off car, restart, cooling returns.

And to a previous reply, yes, I know where the on/off button is.
I have had my M850i GC for almost five weeks, with just ~500 miles so far and two or three times I have noticed warm air coming out for a short period of time when AC is on. I just shrugged it off at the time because cold air returned, but now I will be on the lookout for it and notice the conditions when/if it happens again. Thanks for the info, tg_vegas!
Appreciate 2
      05-27-2020, 11:15 AM   #24
noushy
///M Fan
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp, X5M Comp, iX M60

so far mine works but yesterday was 90 degrees and humid and it seemed it wasnt working right at night. I am a little worried. Yes the AC on off is under the menu which is stupid. in its quest to eliminate buttons they have made things confusing but I am worried the AC is not up to snuff. The one in the X3M is amazing and in fact often have to turn the temp up. the X5M is not so good similar to the M8 which has me worried. The hot months are coming and we will see. Good post.
2023 Audi RS6 Avant Daytona Gray/Black
2024 BMW X5M Comp Brooklyn Gray/Taruma Brown, Titanium Exhaust on order
Appreciate 2
      05-27-2020, 12:12 PM   #25
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by noushy View Post
so far mine works but yesterday was 90 degrees and humid and it seemed it wasnt working right at night. I am a little worried. Yes the AC on off is under the menu which is stupid. in its quest to eliminate buttons they have made things confusing but I am worried the AC is not up to snuff. The one in the X3M is amazing and in fact often have to turn the temp up. the X5M is not so good similar to the M8 which has me worried. The hot months are coming and we will see. Good post.
You make me glad I got the M850i instead of the m8. The "MAX AC" button works great!
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2020, 01:58 PM   #26
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Geez, now I'm starting to wonder if the few times I've noticed the AC wasn't blowing cold and had to change my settings back to auto and engage recirc was due to this issue. My 850 only has about 750 miles and was delivered on 12/26 so it doesn't get on the road much but I will be keeping a close eye on it as well next time she goes out which should be soon. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if this was SW related...

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2020, 01:58 PM   #27
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
Quote:
You make me glad I got the M850i instead of the m8. The "MAX AC" button works great!
Sure. Because the M8'ness caused that. Too much power being generated in the engine bay... hehehe.

I'm glad I got the M8 because it gets me more girls.

Heh, both seem equally likely.
Appreciate 4
LSM1118.00
Ozzie8641.00
      05-27-2020, 10:03 PM   #28
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Sure. Because the M8'ness caused that. Too much power being generated in the engine bay... hehehe.

I'm glad I got the M8 because it gets me more girls.

Heh, both seem equally likely.
Haha, trust me, the car is WAY cheaper than any girl.
Appreciate 3
limeypride4418.50
Ozzie8641.00
      05-28-2020, 09:52 PM   #29
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Took the M850 out for a spin this evening and no issues with the AC, kept the recirc on for the entire drive to help keep the plague out...glad I did as no one we saw in our community had a mask on nor practised any form of SD...

Appreciate 2
      05-29-2020, 10:40 PM   #30
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
It was supposed to hit 111 here in the Phoenix area today but was 107 when I made a short trip to the grocery store and back. AC worked fine but once again a short trip. Tomorrow is supposed to hit 107 so at the heat of the day I'm going to make a long drive to see how the AC works.
Appreciate 2
      05-30-2020, 06:52 PM   #31
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
It was supposed to hit 111 here in the Phoenix area today but was 107 when I made a short trip to the grocery store and back. AC worked fine but once again a short trip. Tomorrow is supposed to hit 107 so at the heat of the day I'm going to make a long drive to see how the AC works.
It did hit 108 here today and I was out in the car when it was 105. Unfortunately, I didn't get to do a long drive as planned as I was on a mission to Home Depot for a "Honey Do" to fix the misting system on our main patio and install one on the MBR patio for my wife as that is her domain as she spends hours on WhatsApp calls with her family in Bolivia.

Reading through the issues reported at least on my drive today with ambient 105 degree temperature I had no issues with the AC blowing hot air at high RPMs or heavy acceleration as in my commitment to limeypride I'm in Sport Plus only now and it holds gears at least to 4000 RPM before an up shift and even higher depending on the situation. In normal DILYSI fashion on the way to and back from Home Depot I was accelerating from a stop light to 60 MPH plus in a blink of an eye (most of the trip had 45 to 50 MPH PSL streets) and RPMs in the 4K to 5K range prior to up shifts.

Last note is won major points with the wife for the misting system now installed on "her" patio so a good day overall.
Appreciate 4
limeypride4418.50
Ozzie8641.00
      05-30-2020, 09:02 PM   #32
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It did hit 108 here today and I was out in the car when it was 105. Unfortunately, I didn't get to do a long drive as planned as I was on a mission to Home Depot for a "Honey Do" to fix the misting system on our main patio and install one on the MBR patio for my wife as that is her domain as she spends hours on WhatsApp calls with her family in Bolivia.

Reading through the issues reported at least on my drive today with ambient 105 degree temperature I had no issues with the AC blowing hot air at high RPMs or heavy acceleration as in my commitment to limeypride I'm in Sport Plus only now and it holds gears at least to 4000 RPM before an up shift and even higher depending on the situation. In normal DILYSI fashion on the way to and back from Home Depot I was accelerating from a stop light to 60 MPH plus in a blink of an eye (most of the trip had 45 to 50 MPH PSL streets) and RPMs in the 4K to 5K range prior to up shifts.

Last note is won major points with the wife for the misting system now installed on "her" patio so a good day overall.
Awesome. The M850i will launch 0 to 60 in less than 4 seconds; even with the top down! I think I'm up to 23 launches now, but I need a counter. Also maybe a GoPro to record it, since 2019 doesn't have those in car recorders.
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2020, 10:04 PM   #33
tg_vegas
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW B8 Alpina

Update

For those who are curious, my M8 is still in the shop for the AC problem, now passing five days since I dropped it off. I've checked in a few times but nothing definitive about where they stand on problem resolution. For those curious folks, I'll update this thread if anything notable develops. In the meantime, I have an X5 in my driveway, not quite the same driving experience!
Appreciate 3
      05-30-2020, 10:42 PM   #34
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
For those who are curious, my M8 is still in the shop for the AC problem, now passing five days since I dropped it off. I've checked in a few times but nothing definitive about where they stand on problem resolution. For those curious folks, I'll update this thread if anything notable develops. In the meantime, I have an X5 in my driveway, not quite the same driving experience!
Total bummer and knowing the Vegas climate being similar to ours here in Phoenix after 50+ trips in my professional life for conferences AC is not a luxury but an absolute requirement. I'll reach out to my CA to ask the SAs at the dealership to see if anyone is experience similar issues with M8s now that the heat is on here in AZ.
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2020, 10:14 PM   #35
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
For those with kids, I'd take an x5. I test drove one and it was better than anything I've ever driven in that size. My QX80 will probably be replaced with a G Wagon or GLS; however, if BMW services and support was better I'd probably get the x7 because it's arguably better. But once you account for horrible service and software, the MB looks better.

That said, nothing drives like a sports car. From Mustangs to Ferrari, you can't beat a proper car. However, for my money, I'd replace my M850i with a true 911.
Not that anyone cares, but again partly because of lack of BMW support after drive off. Also, I've given up on trying to please everyone all the time. My next sports car will be a true 2 seater for 1 and not a 2+2 or 4 door. My wife and kids can follow me in their SUV, if they can keep up.
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2020, 11:05 PM   #36
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
For those with kids, I'd take an x5. I test drove one and it was better than anything I've ever driven in that size. My QX80 will probably be replaced with a G Wagon or GLS; however, if BMW services and support was better I'd probably get the x7 because it's arguably better. But once you account for horrible service and software, the MB looks better.

That said, nothing drives like a sports car. From Mustangs to Ferrari, you can't beat a proper car. However, for my money, I'd replace my M850i with a true 911.
Not that anyone cares, but again partly because of lack of BMW support after drive off. Also, I've given up on trying to please everyone all the time. My next sports car will be a true 2 seater for 1 and not a 2+2 or 4 door. My wife and kids can follow me in their SUV, if they can keep up.
The new GLS is a beauty and I believe rides on the updated new S class platform...go for the 580 as it really needs those 23's and the V8 is a torque monster.

Last edited by RJC-1; 05-31-2020 at 11:19 PM..
Appreciate 2
      05-31-2020, 11:45 PM   #37
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
Quote:

The new GLS is a beauty and I believe rides on the updated new S class platform...go for the 580 as it really needs those 23's and the V8 is a torque monster.

We just test drove the GLE430 today and—holy shit—that interior is to die for.
Appreciate 2
      05-31-2020, 11:48 PM   #38
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Even though its new for the SUV's, the 21 S Class sedans will be getting something all new...
fyi replied to your email last week

Appreciate 1
      06-01-2020, 08:22 AM   #39
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks. We were definitely looking at that one and the AMG version of the same.
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2020, 08:23 AM   #40
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

They have some great interiors and leathers.
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2020, 02:16 PM   #41
Chris140.6
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M8 GC

Wondering if anyone has any updates on the AC issues identified on this thread. I leased an M8GC (Brands Hatch Grey / Taruma Brown) in April and have noticed some wonkiness with the AC. Notably, it does not keep a consistent temperature (I keep mine on Auto, recirculate and around 65-ish). I find it will blow cold air and then cycle to almost warmish air and then back to cold air. Also, the fan always seems to be running high, notwithstanding having the Auto settings at low. I brought the car in for service but nothing was identified. Also have a friend with an M8GC and he experiences the same issues. Curious if anyone has developed any leads on this.

Thanks,
CD
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2020, 02:28 PM   #42
tg_vegas
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW B8 Alpina

Got my M8 Comp back, new compressor and condenser. 38 degrees coming from vents now. So far, so good, but we'll see once I've had a chance to drive it more. My last M8 also needed a new compressor within 400 miles of brand new. This one is at about 600 miles.
Appreciate 3
      06-05-2020, 09:20 PM   #43
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Got my M8 Comp back, new compressor and condenser. 38 degrees coming from vents now. So far, so good, but we'll see once I've had a chance to drive it more. My last M8 also needed a new compressor within 400 miles of brand new. This one is at about 600 miles.
Glad you got her back, what happened to the last compressor etc did they stop working again?

Appreciate 1
      06-08-2020, 10:07 PM   #44
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
A quick bit of research indicates BMW OEMs their AC parts (which makes sense as there is no sense to try and build that yourself in today's world). I also have to assume that for the 8-series they are universal components or otherwise BMW needs a lesson in volume manufacturing. Assuming the lack of lesson needed I'm guessing there was a bad "batch" of compressors, etc. that went into a series of builds. Do you have the build dates for your original M8 vs the new one that still needed the swap out?
Appreciate 1