M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion BMW 840D vs M340i

05-23-2020, 10:42 AM   #23
J400uk
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 840i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by andics View Post
I didn't think I'd fine anyone else who did the same jump I just did...

I also had a z4 m40i (and loved it for a whole 8 months)...but I now need more space to travel in Europe and I just swapped it with a 840D convertible!

The engine swap (revs and sound..) hurts a little bit...but the 8 series is on another league!

My mpgs were very different though....on 2500 miles I did a 19mpg on the Z4 (mostly driving in London though..). I still have to drive the 840d for a bit to check that out
Wow I didn't think I'd find anyone else either who'd made the same move! Only difference with me is my 840d is a Coupe as the Convertible was a touch out of budget for me. You're right about the extra space it is definitely a welcome improvement.

I haven't been using it very much recently given the Lockdown but am still extremely happy with it as a car, makes me smile whenever I drive it. It is definitely an upgrade and I'll be keeping it for a while. Hopefully I'll be able to take mine to Europe in the future too
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 11:31 AM   #24
Wing Co
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i & 911 GTS

I have had my 840D since Jan 2019. It has averaged 41 UK mpg on the BMW trip. It is too fast, straight line and handling, for normal roads in NL and DEU. You have to be very careful or you'll end up with big fines. In the UK it was useless as the roads are too congested. Its best feature was the autonomous driving on the M25 where it drove it around one of the slowest roads in the world! In comfort I did find it coped with the rough roads very well though. In DEU, on the autobahn, it is flawless. I have the upgraded brakes and braking hard from 150mph is very stable, my X6 M50d was not.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 05:30 AM   #25
bmwmboss
Rep
Drives: Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops395 View Post
I've recently taken delivery of an 840d coupe and its pretty special, inside and out. I think if you sat in them both you'd prefer the 8 although the M340 would be quicker unless you had the 8 remapped. The boys at DMS automotive offer 400+ bhp & 740 NM torque, with AWD its rapid but will return over 500 miles out of a tank.

I haven't driven the M340 but if you needed back seats and you're worried about what a car is going to be worth after 5 years then you'd have to nod the M340. If you want the best all rounder have a remapped 8, you wouldn't be disappointed but then i doubt you would with a M340i.

Just my two pence worth.
Did you get this remap done by DMS? Any ideas on price?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 08:09 AM   #26
andics
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by J400uk View Post
Wow I didn't think I'd find anyone else either who'd made the same move! Only difference with me is my 840d is a Coupe as the Convertible was a touch out of budget for me. You're right about the extra space it is definitely a welcome improvement.

I haven't been using it very much recently given the Lockdown but am still extremely happy with it as a car, makes me smile whenever I drive it. It is definitely an upgrade and I'll be keeping it for a while. Hopefully I'll be able to take mine to Europe in the future too
I went for a pre-reg fully spec'd for less than £58k...depreciation on the 8 series is borderline ridicolous in UK! When you add that to a 2.9% finance deal I almost went cash flow positive compared to my z4 (r.i.p) despite selling it for just £34k!

I now got to Italy and I love the car...but I managed to hit a pothole and now I am already replacing 1 tyre after a couple of weeks!
Appreciate 0