M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Anyone found a high quality sun shield for an M8 ?

05-30-2020, 09:56 PM   #1
tg_vegas
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW B8 Alpina

Anyone found a high quality sun shield for an M8 ?

We're up into the 100-110 degree range in Vegas these days and the interior of my M8 is an oven. I have not been able to find a windshield sun shade that fits the M8. I have found a couple of made-in-china versions that claim to fit but upon reciept, were a terrible fit and awful quality.

Anyone find a nice quality, great fit, shade for our M8s ???

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 11:17 PM   #2
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tg_vegas View Post
We're up into the 100-110 degree range in Vegas these days and the interior of my M8 is an oven. I have not been able to find a windshield sun shade that fits the M8. I have found a couple of made-in-china versions that claim to fit but upon reciept, were a terrible fit and awful quality.

Anyone find a nice quality, great fit, shade for our M8s ???

Thanks,
Wow, yet another Vegas/Phoenix parallel. In fact as I posted in the AC issues thread I made a run to Home Depot today in which it reminded me it is time to "pay the piper" for a sun visor for the M850i.

The back story is when I was negotiating the deal for my wife's X5 between three dealers the one I ended up going with was the lowest price but due to the competition they threw in a $500 credit for accessories. One of the best purchases through that was a BMW sunscreen for the X5. Given my M850i was a one and done special order with the same dealer they didn't throw in any accessory credit but did give me carte blanche Black Friday discount of 30% off for anything I wanted when I took delivery in December. I ended up picking up some key fob cases and coffee mugs but to my disappointment the sun visor for the M850i was out of stock.

Just placed my order for it, i.e., "pay the piper" but all in its not bad at $85 including tax. The key being at least with my wife's X5 sun visor it is an OEM'd branded Covercraft sun visor designed specifically for it but with just the BMW logo. I just checked and the BMW accessories store does not have a sun visor for the M8s. However, your likely best bets are check Covercraft or go with the one for the M850i Coupe. Based on other postings we know the M8 vs M850i rear window is slightly different but apparently no differences for the front windshield. Thus, I'm guessing a M850i sun visor will work in a M8 and if sourced from either BMW or Covercraft will be 10x better than a China sourced solution.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 03:42 PM   #3
tg_vegas
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks !
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 09:38 PM   #4
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Have been meaning to follow-up as not sure if you placed an order yet or not. The box on my sun visor states G14/G15 so you should be good to go. For anyone out there with a Grand Coupe not sure if BMW just hasn't updated the parts or if there are indeed differences between a G16's front windshield vs the Coupe/Convertible 2 doors.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 08:03 AM   #5
Sideshow48
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M

I went ahead and ordered the M850i sunshade from WeatherTech for my M8. Still waiting for it to arrive though.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 03:17 PM   #6
tg_vegas
Enlisted Member
Rep

Covercraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Wow, yet another Vegas/Phoenix parallel. In fact as I posted in the AC issues thread I made a run to Home Depot today in which it reminded me it is time to "pay the piper" for a sun visor for the M850i.

The back story is when I was negotiating the deal for my wife's X5 between three dealers the one I ended up going with was the lowest price but due to the competition they threw in a $500 credit for accessories. One of the best purchases through that was a BMW sunscreen for the X5. Given my M850i was a one and done special order with the same dealer they didn't throw in any accessory credit but did give me carte blanche Black Friday discount of 30% off for anything I wanted when I took delivery in December. I ended up picking up some key fob cases and coffee mugs but to my disappointment the sun visor for the M850i was out of stock.

Just placed my order for it, i.e., "pay the piper" but all in its not bad at $85 including tax. The key being at least with my wife's X5 sun visor it is an OEM'd branded Covercraft sun visor designed specifically for it but with just the BMW logo. I just checked and the BMW accessories store does not have a sun visor for the M8s. However, your likely best bets are check Covercraft or go with the one for the M850i Coupe. Based on other postings we know the M8 vs M850i rear window is slightly different but apparently no differences for the front windshield. Thus, I'm guessing a M850i sun visor will work in a M8 and if sourced from either BMW or Covercraft will be 10x better than a China sourced solution.

Per your recommendation I ordered one from Covercraft. It came yesterday and fits my M8Comp perfectly. THANKS!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 06:18 PM   #7
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
I finally had a need to use the sun visor today and when taking it out of it''s protective bag that comes along with it I was pleasantly surprised to find the backing on it to be a heavy felt like material that matches the Alcantara headliner of the M850i. I had to remove my V1 from the BlendMount mirror mount in order to get it into place but once completed it fits like a glove.
Appreciate 0