M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Any Tall Drivers Here?

07-28-2019, 09:58 PM   #1
AlexTheGiant21
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Any Tall Drivers Here?

Hello guys,

I was wondering if any of you were vertically unchallenged and had an 8 series? I'm 6'5" and debating between an X5 and 8 series. X5 obviously for the ease of not throwing myself into a car and whatnot, but man is that 8 series sexy! Any complaints? Hows the viability and comfort?

I used to have an e92 and my only complaint was the seats hugged me a little too well i.e. not too nice to my love handles I did test drive a 5er and if I remember correctly, wasn't the 8 based on the 5er? I found its seats comfortable and wide enough, would it be safe to say the 8's are about the same? Unfortunately, I am not able to sit in one or test drive it at the moment and would like to hear your opinions!

Thanks!
Appreciate 2
Ozzie8641.00
F85MTuNED1620.50
      07-29-2019, 03:47 AM   #2
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
Buy the 8!! It’s epic mate. I am vertically challenged and think it will be cosy for you. But what a drive!

BTW it will be impossible for you to clean the inside of the rear window of the m850i coupe - please see my other posts - and suggestions from others on potential solutions!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 09:31 AM   #3
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

I'm not as tall as you but I am very wide at 6'2". I currently drive X5 50i and a week ago took the 850 for a spin both convert and coupe. I had ZERO issues with comfort. As soon as I sat down the seats felt just like my X5 ones, and if I didn't know any better I'd say they are 100% same seat..... I think being a bit taller gives a better view of the surroundings of the car as well. Best thing to do is take one for a drive!!!
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 1
Ozzie8641.00
      07-30-2019, 10:46 PM   #4
AlexTheGiant21
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Unfortunately, I cannot test drive one out here as South Korea hasn't seen the release yet.

Also, does anyone know why the GC is a bit cheaper than the coupe?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 12:26 AM   #5
edwarjejeega
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M850i, '18 X6M, '16 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTheGiant21 View Post
Unfortunately, I cannot test drive one out here as South Korea hasn't seen the release yet.

Also, does anyone know why the GC is a bit cheaper than the coupe?
That's something I found odd too! Hmm.. but like I said in a different thread, the coupe of the 8 looks better than the GC. That wasn't the case for the M6 and M6 GC. At least to me the M6 GC looked way better. Wonder if the M8 GC will be a few thousand cheaper than the M8 coupe too.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 12:09 PM   #6
Wing Co
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i & 911 GTS

I am only 5' 7" and very agile. If I was taller (5' 11" and above) I think I'd prefer my old X6. My mate who is 6' does not like getting into my 8, but he is a bit over weight - much younger than me though!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 10:54 PM   #7
CarPhanatic
Rep
Drives: M850i 2019 coupe

6 foot 4 inches here

I have absolutely no problem with the headroom in this car.

As a side...(The extra width over prior car (c63 coupe) is monumentally better, and in this I feel the passenger/driver individual room is the best of any car I have been in, each driver and passenger really feel a definite "space" in the vehicle).

One thing that you have to be very aware of, the windshield ends early and seems to cut off at the roof rather early (more anteriorly and inferiorly), so there is only a certain amount of adjustment you can make on the vertical aspect before you may be staring at the top of the windshield/roof border.

I believe looking at height alone will not be an adequate measure to determine your suitability for this car. Body type will also be important.

My height comes mostly from my legs, 34inch inseam at minimum, so the ability to simply adjust the fore/aft for positioning is no problem, extremely accommodating in this car (rear passengers, NO, of course not...lol)

Personal concern for tall drivers in this car would be for one with a long torso. There is only so much someone may adjust and lower the seating position to accommodate a longer torso.

My current body type would accommodate a maybe 1-2 inches max height, (alcantara headliner) but if it was torso length that was involved it would be really tight as the seat may only move so far down, and the windshield/roof intersection seems to be much "lower" in position than many cars.

I'd suspect you would be okay if you are average body type.

Hope this may help.

Great car overall and I hope it works out for you!

Good luck.

H
Appreciate 1
Ozzie8641.00
      08-05-2019, 09:58 PM   #8
M5Newbee
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

I'm 6'8"270 and have been driving a "dealer loaner" M850i (convertible) while my M5 gets tires and a driver seat repair. I've driven it for about a week. Both are 2019. Headroom is certainly less in the M850. It is really a bit low- and not easy to get in and out of. I have to lean the seat back quite a bit for me to be able to drive it. My M5 fits me much better. Power and performance don't compare. 850 comes closest on ride comfort.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 11:55 PM   #9
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

big guy

Quote:
Hello guys,

I was wondering if any of you were vertically unchallenged and had an 8 series? I'm 6'5" and debating between an X5 and 8 series. X5 obviously for the ease of not throwing myself into a car and whatnot, but man is that 8 series sexy! Any complaints? Hows the viability and comfort?

I used to have an e92 and my only complaint was the seats hugged me a little too well i.e. not too nice to my love handles I did test drive a 5er and if I remember correctly, wasn't the 8 based on the 5er? I found its seats comfortable and wide enough, would it be safe to say the 8's are about the same? Unfortunately, I am not able to sit in one or test drive it at the moment and would like to hear your opinions!

Thanks!
Hey, I'm 6'1" and over 355 lbs and I fit in my m850i. now I've basically got the driver's seat leaned so far back, no one can sit behind me. However, it's a sports car and in my case, a convertible.

The x5 is a regular SUV, not a low riding Ferrari or Porsche. it's like asking if you want to fly in a 747 or a business gulfstream jet. they are very different.
My father in law has an x5, it's great but it's an SUV.

Do you want a station wagon or a race track nascar car?? What are you looking for? If it's pure comfort, then get an x5 or x7. They now have x5 M sport competition versions of the x7 and x5.
if you want a Ferrari for half the price, get the m850i. If you want to be able to turn the wheel clockwise two full rotations at 70 mph with 0 body roll - get the 8 series.

if you want to pull 4g turns at 60 mph and flip over, get a big SUV. if you want to haul cargo from Lowes.

Quote:
Hello guys,

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 07:33 PM   #10
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hello guys,

Thanks!
AlexTheGiant21 what's the status? Need anymore help on your 8?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 09:22 PM   #11
AlexTheGiant21
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post
AlexTheGiant21 what's the status? Need anymore help on your 8?
I ended up going with the X5 M50i. I REALLY wanted the 8 but it was too much to gamble without being able to actually test drive it. I couldn't risk purchasing a dd and then ending up hating it because I had low visibility or because I found the seats to uncomfortable or what have you. I really was thiiiiiis close on saying fuck it, but when we're talking 100k, that is one expensive fuck it
Appreciate 2
Ozzie8641.00
      08-15-2019, 06:24 PM   #12
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Buying a new car is an emotional process! X5 or 8 - they cost a lot of money. Congrats on your new order. Please drive the 8 when you can, you will love it mate.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 06:35 PM   #13
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
I ended up going with the X5 M50i. I REALLY wanted the 8 but it was too much to gamble without being able to actually test drive it. I couldn't risk purchasing a dd and then ending up hating it because I had low visibility or because I found the seats to uncomfortable or what have you. I really was thiiiiiis close on saying fuck it, but when we're talking 100k, that is one expensive fuck it
Welcome to the X5 team!!! You really can't go wrong with either in my opinion, and you won't be disappointed in the X5!!!! I'm looking my self to just have both..
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 08:07 AM   #14
zaz2405
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 840d

I'm 5ft 11 in and feel perfectly comfortable with my 8. No issues at all. I've sat in the back a few times just to see what it's like and it's not the place to be for anyone over 5 ft really....
Appreciate 2
      12-21-2019, 06:47 PM   #15
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Although an older thread just in case any other tall drivers stumble across it I'll add that at 6'6" I fit better in my M850i (should translate to all M8 variants as well) than any other car I've owned. The headroom is better as well as the leg room! Keep in mind that is for the coupe and not the GC which may alter the front legroom to enable the backseat which in the coupes is non-existent.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 08:01 PM   #16
Bogey4me
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F85, G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Although an older thread just in case any other tall drivers stumble across it I'll add that at 6'6" I fit better in my M850i (should translate to all M8 variants as well) than any other car I've owned. The headroom is better as well as the leg room! Keep in mind that is for the coupe and not the GC which may alter the front legroom to enable the backseat which in the coupes is non-existent.
I'm 6'8" and have more leg room in GC vs Coupe. I wanted the Coupe, but didn't fit. I fit great in GC. In addition there is 2 more inches of headroom in front seat since the front windshield is more vertical to allow for enough headroom in back row. Also with the Carbon Fiber rood you get another 1" or so since there is no panoramic roof.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 08:06 PM   #17
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogey4me View Post
I'm 6'8" and have more leg room in GC vs Coupe. I wanted the Coupe, but didn't fit. I fit great in GC. In addition there is 2 more inches of headroom in front seat since the front windshield is more vertical to allow for enough headroom in back row. Also with the Carbon Fiber rood you get another 1" or so since there is no panoramic roof.
Interesting as that defies logic, i.e. more legroom in the back equals less in the front. Agree with the Carbon Fiber roof as have that in my M850i and I'm golden from the headroom perspective. All around good to know for all of us tall drivers that all 8 series variants welcome us into the fold.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 08:25 PM   #18
Bogey4me
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Interesting as that defies logic, i.e. more legroom in the back equals less in the front. Agree with the Carbon Fiber roof as have that in my M850i and I'm golden from the headroom perspective. All around good to know for all of us tall drivers that all 8 series variants welcome us into the fold.
I read a review that said the 9" that GC is more than the Coupe all went to the back row, they aren't the same length as Coupe. It has more legroom behind my seat than my 530e. I think that extra room also allows the front seat to go back a bit further? Not sure, just know I wasn't comfortable in Coupe, but GC feels a lot roomier. I am 6'8" though so not many people would really notice these differences, just happy that the GC fits the bill.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 09:31 PM   #19
Bogey4me
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I read a review that said the 9" that GC is more than the Coupe all went to the back row, they aren't the same length as Coupe. It has more legroom behind my seat than my 530e. I think that extra room also allows the front seat to go back a bit further? Not sure, just know I wasn't comfortable in Coupe, but GC feels a lot roomier. I am 6'8" though so not many people would really notice these differences, just happy that the GC fits the bill.
Update the here. I was finally able to sit in an M8 GC and it has no more headroom than a M850i with a sunroof! It's like they use the same headliner whether sunroof or not. My hair touches the alcantara headliner and any bump that bounces me up 1/2" will mean my dead hits the roof. There is more legroom in the GC as I mentioned, but was counting on reports the Carbon Fiber roof provides more headroom. It's exactly the same as I jumped between the two in showroom today. Looks like no M8 for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 12:49 PM   #20
Al Pină
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Update the here. I was finally able to sit in an M8 GC and it has no more headroom than a M850i with a sunroof! It's like they use the same headliner whether sunroof or not. My hair touches the alcantara headliner and any bump that bounces me up 1/2" will mean my dead hits the roof. There is more legroom in the GC as I mentioned, but was counting on reports the Carbon Fiber roof provides more headroom. It's exactly the same as I jumped between the two in showroom today. Looks like no M8 for me.
This may sound like a stupid question, but did you try lowering the seat to its lowest position? I just got out of a 8GC with the sunroof and I had plenty of headroom (I'm 6'7").
      01-15-2020, 03:07 PM   #21
Bogey4me
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINA_DREAMS View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This may sound like a stupid question, but did you try lowering the seat to its lowest position? I just got out of a 8GC with the sunroof and I had plenty of headroom (I'm 6'7").
Yes I did. Every car. All the way down and all the way back. 😀. I tried for 15 minutes to see if I could eek out another 1/2". I'm wondering if having the sunroof actually provides more headroom. My issue is mainly with the ridge that runs among the side to the top. Maybe I'll try the regular GC again. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 03:30 PM   #22
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

My wife is having the opposite problem (she's all of 5' 2") where she needs a cushion to see properly. Surprised the seat does not adjust higher than it does.

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 1
Al Pină1838.50