M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Wheel locks

10-23-2022, 12:11 PM   #1
TheGreatM8
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Wheel locks

Question's are for all or anybody with good info:

- My SA told me I should at least use the BMW OEM wheel lock lug bolt on my new wheels. Beings that I got 20 titanium bolts at $100 each which are a TORX head that anyone can buy. (I guess I should be just a concerned for my bolts themselves hahaha...)

1. Is it worth it? (meaning fooling with them - not costs) seems like anyone could get the BMW wheel key as well.

2. Or, is it to slow down the would be thief? Making him have a variety of choices to loosen the lugs?

3. Is there a preferred brand? All I see online is mundane common choices, where if you were in the thievery business wouldn't you just order several locking bolt set ups and then have the keys? - I would.

I don't live in a bad area where I was concerned but I guess it cant hurt? Car is garaged most times at home and never left anywhere for more time than a dinner would take with my wife.

Also, I don't mind spending the $$ for something if it works.

Thanks!

Tenac
Vic55
r33_RGSport

Last edited by TheGreatM8; 10-23-2022 at 12:59 PM..
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport13051.50
      10-23-2022, 01:45 PM   #2
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Any lock in the world is just a deterrent and can be beaten. You can ebay/amazon the wheel lock socket or your local auto parts stores can get them. Meaning when they case your vehicle they already know... I typically add aftermarket parts to my insurance policy anyway so if they gone they gone. But really its just up to you, there isn't a right or wrong way to go about it. I like how my titanium colored match bolts look so I won't be putting on anything other.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 1
TheGreatM82174.50
      10-23-2022, 04:55 PM   #3
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
Any lock in the world is just a deterrent and can be beaten. You can ebay/amazon the wheel lock socket or your local auto parts stores can get them. Meaning when they case your vehicle they already know... I typically add aftermarket parts to my insurance policy anyway so if they gone they gone. But really its just up to you, there isn't a right or wrong way to go about it. I like how my titanium colored match bolts look so I won't be putting on anything other.
Agreed it's a deterrent aka #2 in your list but could save you if the prospective thief doesn't want to deal with the hassle. It's kind of an analogy to the steering wheel club from back in the day. Sure the thief could spend the time to saw the steering wheel and remove but odds are would just move onto the next car with less hassles.

That said what is the likelihood of having the rims stolen vs the entire car? A professional car thief isn't going after the wheels but rather the car itself. Sure there are locales in major metropolitan areas in which one can find their car on blocks as just the rims were stolen. Guessing you don't live in one just like I don't.

Park the car in one of those sketchy areas and I still wouldn't expect to find the car on blocks as the thieves target rims with easy resale/pawn value. In other words they're not professional car thieves but just kids, etc. that go after an easy mark for a quick buck in their pocket.
Appreciate 3
claykin1591.50
TheGreatM82174.50
Tenac4575.50
      10-23-2022, 06:31 PM   #4
TheGreatM8
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Agreed it's a deterrent aka #2 in your list but could save you if the prospective thief doesn't want to deal with the hassle. It's kind of an analogy to the steering wheel club from back in the day. Sure the thief could spend the time to saw the steering wheel and remove but odds are would just move onto the next car with less hassles.

That said what is the likelihood of having the rims stolen vs the entire car? A professional car thief isn't going after the wheels but rather the car itself. Sure there are locales in major metropolitan areas in which one can find their car on blocks as just the rims were stolen. Guessing you don't live in one just like I don't.

Park the car in one of those sketchy areas and I still wouldn't expect to find the car on blocks as the thieves target rims with easy resale/pawn value. In other words they're not professional car thieves but just kids, etc. that go after an easy mark for a quick buck in their pocket.
Thank you both for confirming what I pretty much already knew. The locking lug didn't make a whole lot of sense to me, but then I heard "why aren't you using the OEM ones" and the "wheels started spinning" Pun intended! lol
-Plus, what would I do with 4 titanium bolts that were swapped for some ugly steel ones!
Appreciate 2
Tenac4575.50
      10-23-2022, 06:53 PM   #5
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

How often are people getting their wheels stolen? I assume people driving 8's aren't routinely parking them in more sketchy places where such a thing might happen.
Appreciate 3
TheGreatM82174.50
Tenac4575.50
      10-23-2022, 07:16 PM   #6
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

I agree with the above comments from Tenac and bloozemanAZ

Changing a single bolt to any wheel lock style will only slow down a thief. And if the thief comes prepared, it won't slow them down by much.

IMO, a good way to hedge in your favor is to change 2 or 3 bolts to different types of locks. For instance, use the standard BMW lock for one bolt. use the BMW McGard style lock for another bolt. And use the ECS Tuning lock for a third bolt. This will likely throw off thieves, as they likely won't have the appropriate tools to remove all 3. Even if they do have the tools, the time and noise to remove 3 bolts from 4 wheels may cause them to find another target.

Here's the link to the ECS Tuning wheel lock.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...901ecs28b3~ec/
Tenac4575.50
      10-23-2022, 07:21 PM   #7
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
How often are people getting their wheels stolen? I assume people driving 8's aren't routinely parking them in more sketchy places where such a thing might happen.
In my wide circle of friends in the Phoenix area with owners of everything from A to Z (Audi, Aston Martin, Bentley, BMW, Ferrari, Jaguar, Lambo, Mercedes, Porsche, etc.) nobody has ever had their rims stolen. One friend with a Bentley had the entire car stolen but his LoJack saved the day before the car could be crated and sent overseas (target for exotics vs trying to black market sale here in the US).
Appreciate 1
TheGreatM82174.50
      10-23-2022, 07:27 PM   #8
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
I agree with the above comments from Tenac and bloozemanAZ

Changing a single bolt to any wheel lock style will only slow down a thief. And if the thief comes prepared, it won't slow them down by much.

IMO, a good way to hedge in your favor is to change 2 or 3 bolts to different types of locks. For instance, use the standard BMW lock for one bolt. use the BMW McGard style lock for another bolt. And use the ECS Tuning lock for a third bolt. This will likely throw off thieves, as they likely won't have the appropriate tools to remove all 3. Even if they do have the tools, the time and noise to remove 3 bolts from 4 wheels may cause them to find another target.

Here's the link to the ECS Tuning wheel lock.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-parts/conical-seat-locking-wheel-bolt-kit/003901ecs28b3~ec/
Makes sense as ultimately just a deterrent against a quick bang for the buck rim thief vs a professional car thief whom will take the car 100% intact no questions asked.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2022, 07:28 PM   #9
TheGreatM8
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Excellent point Sir!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2022, 07:29 PM   #10
snareman
United_States
Rep

Quote:
In my wide circle of friends in the Phoenix area with owners of everything from A to Z (Audi, Aston Martin, Bentley, BMW, Ferrari, Jaguar, Lambo, Mercedes, Porsche, etc.) nobody has ever had their rims stolen. One friend with a Bentley had the entire car stolen but his LoJack saved the day before the car could be crated and sent overseas (target for exotics vs trying to black market sale here in the US).
I mean, I am considering a set of winter wheels/tires. I'd love OEM wheels, but don't really want to spend $5k on them. Perhaps I could come find one of your cars and, um, borrow the wheels from wherever you have it parked.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2022, 07:35 PM   #11
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I mean, I am considering a set of winter wheels/tires. I'd love OEM wheels, but don't really want to spend $5k on them. Perhaps I could come find one of your cars and, um, borrow the wheels from wherever you have it parked.
LOL as I'm the low man on the totem pole in my network of friends as I put my discretionary income elsewhere. As per the winterized thread, we don't have to do that whatsoever here in AZ and can keep full summer wheels/tires on 365 days of the year. Feel your pain though as if I did agree to relocate to Chicago a few years back (told my employer no go) I'd be in a similar circumstance.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2022, 07:48 PM   #12
TheGreatM8
Captain
Rep

Quote:
LOL as I'm the low man on the totem pole in my network of friends as I put my discretionary income elsewhere. As per the winterized thread, we don't have to do that whatsoever here in AZ and can keep full summer wheels/tires on 365 days of the year. Feel your pain though as if I did agree to relocate to Chicago a few years back (told my employer no go) I'd be in a similar circumstance.
Agreed. Summer tire situation here too, but snareman I was from Ohio originally North east so I do know the pain about to be upon you. Although it could be a mild winter?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2022, 07:52 PM   #13
snareman
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatM8 View Post
Agreed. Summer tire situation here too, but snareman I was from Ohio originally North east so I do know the pain about to be upon you. Although it could be a mild winter?
It could be but you just never know. I leave for work and if there is even the slightest chance it might snow that day I don't take my car because I'm always freaked out at the idea of coming out of work 10 hours later with snow on the ground and trying to drive home on my summer tires. I figure it's a $3,000 adventure for medium priced aftermarket wheels and tires. Or OEM for closer to $6500. Perhaps I could get one of those things that are, "OEM style".
Appreciate 2
TheGreatM82174.50
      10-23-2022, 08:55 PM   #14
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It could be but you just never know. I leave for work and if there is even the slightest chance it might snow that day I don't take my car because I'm always freaked out at the idea of coming out of work 10 hours later with snow on the ground and trying to drive home on my summer tires. I figure it's a $3,000 adventure for medium priced aftermarket wheels and tires. Or OEM for closer to $6500. Perhaps I could get one of those things that are, "OEM style".
Hedge the bet with the $3K option as at the end of the day it's your piece of mind vs any attempt for after market sale. You'll lose $ either way and might as well keep that to a minimum, feel safe being winterized and once the winter months are over go back to the summer OEM rims/tires.

From at least all of my Chicago winter months experience (granted all rental cars) nobody cares about style but rather functionality. Keep the style for the summer months and go practicality for the winterizing. My experience only so your MMV on the advice.
Appreciate 2
TheGreatM82174.50
snareman9177.00
      10-23-2022, 09:27 PM   #15
snareman
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hedge the bet with the $3K option as at the end of the day it's your piece of mind vs any attempt for after market sale. You'll lose $ either way and might as well keep that to a minimum, feel safe being winterized and once the winter months are over go back to the summer OEM rims/tires.

From at least all of my Chicago winter months experience (granted all rental cars) nobody cares about style but rather functionality. Keep the style for the summer months and go practicality for the winterizing. My experience only so your MMV on the advice.
Yea, the other option is that the car just sits in the garage all winter as my cars have always done so I'm contemplating trying to drive it this winter. Agreed on the losing money part. Pay more money for OEM, but be more likely to sell them and for more afterwards vs paying less for aftermarket, but also having a much smaller market for them in 3-4y when I look to sell the car. I have to imagine that shipping wheels to someone isn't very cheap and I'd want to save the boxes

Sorry for the thread jack OP.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2022, 10:02 PM   #16
TheGreatM8
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yea, the other option is that the car just sits in the garage all winter as my cars have always done so I'm contemplating trying to drive it this winter. Agreed on the losing money part. Pay more money for OEM, but be more likely to sell them and for more afterwards vs paying less for aftermarket, but also having a much smaller market for them in 3-4y when I look to sell the car. I have to imagine that shipping wheels to someone isn't very cheap and I'd want to save the boxes

Sorry for the thread jack OP.
All good!

Shipping wheels and or tires is no fun. At least from where I live! Last sent I sold on here cost $1200 FedEx Freight plus I had a few Hundred in packing them. But look where I live too, so there's that. I would think you would hav e much better success selling from your location.
Although. My basically brand new OEM (500 Miles) sold for only $2400 and that was with the tires so be prepared to cut them loose if you want to sell later.
Appreciate 1
snareman9177.00
      10-24-2022, 09:17 AM   #17
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Sorry I just saw the tag and Im on my cell so my apologies to all other great members' replies here.

My thoughts on wheel locks are a NO.

1. Any real world wheel thief can put your car on blocks and break them. It may slow the game down but its not remotely going to make thief think "hell this mother fker has locks, Im out"

2. Its a fucking pain in the ass if and when you get a flat your self and need to find the adapter. I know its usually in the trunk but the horror stores of people losing locks... (not me LOL) are there.

3. I cant remember the last time in my last 30 to 40 cars that I had wheels locks. I think 1, and I say 1 M car had it on the msrp but other than that no wheel locks for me in a long long long long time.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 2
TheGreatM82174.50
Tenac4575.50
      10-24-2022, 09:46 AM   #18
TheGreatM8
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Sorry I just saw the tag and Im on my cell so my apologies to all other great members' replies here.

My thoughts on wheel locks are a NO.

1. Any real world wheel thief can put your car on blocks and break them. It may slow the game down but its not remotely going to make thief think "hell this mother fker has locks, Im out"

2. Its a fucking pain in the ass if and when you get a flat your self and need to find the adapter. I know its usually in the trunk but the horror stores of people losing locks... (not me LOL) are there.

3. I cant remember the last time in my last 30 to 40 cars that I had wheels locks. I think 1, and I say 1 M car had it on the msrp but other than that no wheel locks for me in a long long long long time.
Thanks for the reply. Make total sense what you say.
Appreciate 1
Vic5519627.00
      10-24-2022, 11:30 AM   #19
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

TheGreatM8 My apology, the forum didn't even tag me on your tag.
Here are my answers to your questions.

- What you have is already pretty safe. Not as safe as the McGard (which BMW uses) Locking lug bolts, but pretty safe.
- You live in Big Island, HI. Yes, it is pretty big place, but small enough where your wheels won't go far. In order for them to steal and sell to mainland, they will not be making money after all the shipping cost.
- Lastly, fitment wise, I don't think there are many M8 or M5 in HI state itself where it would be a good market for stolen wheels. Unless if there are some precious material in the wheels that we don't know about and they can just melt it and gain tons of money.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 2
TheGreatM82174.50
Tenac4575.50
      10-24-2022, 12:36 PM   #20
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
TheGreatM8 My apology, the forum didn't even tag me on your tag.
Here are my answers to your questions.

- What you have is already pretty safe. Not as safe as the McGard (which BMW uses) Locking lug bolts, but pretty safe.
- You live in Big Island, HI. Yes, it is pretty big place, but small enough where your wheels won't go far. In order for them to steal and sell to mainland, they will not be making money after all the shipping cost.
- Lastly, fitment wise, I don't think there are many M8 or M5 in HI state itself where it would be a good market for stolen wheels. Unless if there are some precious material in the wheels that we don't know about and they can just melt it and gain tons of money.
Ummm you dont watch NCIS Hawaii do you? There are tons of wheel thieves there that then murder Navy personnel by rolling said wheels into their bodies.
Appreciate 2
r33_RGSport13051.50
TheGreatM82174.50
      10-24-2022, 12:45 PM   #21
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Ummm you dont watch NCIS Hawaii do you? There are tons of wheel thieves there that then murder Navy personnel by rolling said wheels into their bodies.
I don't have much time to watch TV since someone kept on bugging me for the sideskirt.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 2
Vic5519627.00
TheGreatM82174.50
      10-24-2022, 12:47 PM   #22
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
I don't have much time to watch TV since someone kept on bugging me for the sideskirt.
you better polish it bitch
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport13051.50