M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Drive mode for long rides

07-12-2022, 08:51 AM   #1
Asthenis
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw G16, Maserati Ghibli SQ4

Drive mode for long rides

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hello Guys,

I know owning a V8 isn't the sign of big mpg concerns:-)
That said, I am wondering which driving mode is the best for long rides, Sport Plus is definitely more fun but cruising on S4-6 isn't a smart thing
I have been trying Eco-Pro and Adaptative, the two modes show similar results on a pretty descent consumption. It will still kick hard on RPM - Torque as soon as I need , very efficient on both dynamic or gentle rides…
Do you have any opinion on this ? Still wonder why eco pro doesn't charge the battery and why comfort would be better than adaptative on daily- or long runs.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2022, 09:20 AM   #2
Van_bimmer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 m850 GC

I keep mine in standard (comfort) nearly 98% of the time, mixed driving. I find the car already setup pretty sporty as it is… when I feel I want a heavier steering feel, I pop her into sport+.
1999 Mercedes SL500
1980 Mercedes 450SL
Appreciate 2
M8Bimmer1246.50
      07-12-2022, 10:18 AM   #3
Justao
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 F91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van_bimmer View Post
I keep mine in standard (comfort) nearly 98% of the time, mixed driving. I find the car already setup pretty sporty as it is… when I feel I want a heavier steering feel, I pop her into sport+.
Same here, I usually only drive in comfort but on 2nd transmission settings… it's a bit more aggressive and responsive as the 1st setting is a bit lame
Appreciate 2
M8Bimmer1246.50
      07-12-2022, 10:39 AM   #4
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Well, I don't have eco-pro on my car... I might throw the engine into "comfort" on occasion, but it's more about the transmission setting... there if I'm going more than like 50 miles I might go to comfort+D1.

In my SUV I use eco-pro for highway cruising only. I also disabled some of the things like eco-climate control because that's pretty annoying in a big car in the summer. I find with my driving style eco-pro is much less efficient and more intrusive around town, but I tend to be about 10-15% more efficient on on the highway.
      07-12-2022, 10:39 AM   #5
BigMofoFrog
Private First Class
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: BMW M850i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justao View Post
Quote:
Same here, I usually only drive in comfort but on 2nd transmission settings… it's a bit more aggressive and responsive as the 1st setting is a bit lame
I personally tend to find comfort to be too light, numb and loose for longer trips, or any trips for that matter. With that in mind I set up "Sport Individual" with the steering in dynamic for a better feel (engine in "Sport plus "and suspension in "comfort"). When I'm driving in the curvy mountain roads I'll simply put it in "Sport" (one click of the button) and it climbs effortlessly and with the transmission in sport I rarely touch the brakes on my way down. This is with my M850i, but those with the M8 can make it even easier with the M1 a as bud M2 buttons.
      07-12-2022, 11:43 AM   #6
Justao
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMofoFrog View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I personally tend to find comfort to be too light, numb and loose for longer trips, or any trips for that matter. With that in mind I set up "Sport Individual" with the steering in dynamic for a better feel (engine in "Sport plus "and suspension in "comfort"). When I'm driving in the curvy mountain roads I'll simply put it in "Sport" (one click of the button) and it climbs effortlessly and with the transmission in sport I rarely touch the brakes on my way down. This is with my M850i, but those with the M8 can make it even easier with the M1 a as bud M2 buttons.
I believe it's all about the transmission setting which m850i does not have. Comfort + D2 is pretty fun and quite responsive. My M8 is catless and in sport plus is super loud and sometimes I don't want all those pops and bangs
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2022, 12:43 PM   #7
BigMofoFrog
Private First Class
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I believe it's all about the transmission setting which m850i does not have. Comfort + D2 is pretty fun and quite responsive. My M8 is catless and in sport plus is super loud and sometimes I don't want all those pops and bangs
Hmmm… I probably didn't articulate my thoughts as effectively as I had wanted.
On the M850i, there are only three transmission settings.

- Comfort
- Sport
- Sport Plus

Each changes the shift points, and comfort being the quietest, sport with moderate pops, and sport plus which while fun quickly becomes annoying😂 unless of course you are really having fun!

But if this is about M8s exclusively I'll defer to the owners of such even more glorious marvels of engineering.
      07-12-2022, 12:57 PM   #8
Justao
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

- Comfort
- Sport
- Sport Plus

Each changes the shift points, and comfort being the quietest, sport with moderate pops, and sport plus which while fun quickly becomes annoying😂 unless of course you are really having fun!

But if this is about M8s exclusively I'll defer to the owners of such even more glorious marvels of engineering.
Yh, I was referring to the transmission settings on the gear knob
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-12-2022, 02:43 PM   #9
BigMofoFrog
Private First Class
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

- Comfort
- Sport
- Sport Plus

Yh, I was referring to the transmission settings on the gear knob
Wow!! That make makes it so much easier!! Thanks for clarifying!
      07-12-2022, 08:28 PM   #10
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
My recipe as well. 100% driving in Sport Individual with steering on Sport (dynamic must be a new thing and not on my 2020 or just don't remember it as an option), chassis (or suspension as can't remember what it's called) in Comfort, transmission in Sport and engine in Sport Plus.

Have used adaptive on long highway cruises and could definitely "feel" the car going into Sport during winding curvy mountain segments and Comfort on the boring mostly straightish segments (with full auto drive assist in play).

On my back road desert drive put it into Sport completely (best mix) but when driving around town, etc. and want the extra performance (ala other thread on a "safe place" I used to toggle the Spoert button to Sport Plus. Nope not any more as realized with my Sport Individual setting to throw everything into Sport Plus all I need to do is to toggle the gear shift to the left. When done back to the right. Poor man's M1 button. 🤣
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2022, 08:32 PM   #11
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asthenis View Post
Do you have any opinion on this ? Still wonder why eco pro doesn't charge the battery and why comfort would be better than adaptative on daily- or long runs.
Not sure about eco-pro but adaptive at least in my experience is based on NAV and the car knowing when in the route twist and turns are in play vs not. Perhaps active all the time but have never tried the mode outside of long freeway cruises, .e.g., Phoenix to San Diego.
Appreciate 2
      07-12-2022, 08:34 PM   #12
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

- Comfort
- Sport
- Sport Plus

See above for my M850i "smiles per gallon" settings in Sport Individual and a poor man's M1 button.
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2022, 11:11 AM   #13
Asthenis
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw G16, Maserati Ghibli SQ4

Thanks for the Tips Guys 👌
I definitely have too many drive modes …
And Yes I have put lila as interior lighting 😂
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 11:49 AM   #14
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
The m850i does have adjustable settings but only in sport individual mode. But you can set everything to comfort and transmission to sport or sport plus. It's almost the same as the m8 settings.
Also, you can drive in comfort and move the shifter to the left to get the sport shifts for passing power.

I typically drive in comfort after the crash. Before the crash I drove in sport individual or sport plus.
However, now I find comfort works well especially with "autopilot" on. And if I need to manually control or pass, I shift the shifter over to pop into higher rpm ranges.

Long distance, you probably want use the m850i individual settings or the m8 direct settings to your taste.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 11:53 AM   #15
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asthenis View Post
Hello Guys,

I know owning a V8 isn't the sign of big mpg concerns:-)
That said, I am wondering which driving mode is the best for long rides, Sport Plus is definitely more fun but cruising on S4-6 isn't a smart thing
I have been trying Eco-Pro and Adaptative, the two modes show similar results on a pretty descent consumption. It will still kick hard on RPM - Torque as soon as I need , very efficient on both dynamic or gentle rides…

Cheers
Eco should charge the battery when braking. However, you need serious braking to activate (hard quick brakes). Gentle highway cruising and slow braking won't be enough to charge the battery. However the alternator should adequately charge the battery on long trips.
On daily short trips, using sport plus will activate all the turbos and such. The "cooldown" from peak rpm will charge the batteries.
However, driving in comfort or eco slowly to church and back usually won't be enough power or long enough distance/time to charge for quick 5 minute trips. Idle will charge slightly but not much.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 11:57 AM   #16
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
My recipe as well. 100% driving in Sport Individual with steering on Sport (dynamic must be a new thing and not on my 2020 or just don't remember it as an option), chassis (or suspension as can't remember what it's called) in Comfort, transmission in Sport and engine in Sport Plus.

Have used adaptive on long highway cruises and could definitely "feel" the car going into Sport during winding curvy mountain segments and Comfort on the boring mostly straightish segments (with full auto drive assist in play).

On my back road desert drive put it into Sport completely (best mix) but when driving around town, etc. and want the extra performance (ala other thread on a "safe place" I used to toggle the Spoert button to Sport Plus. Nope not any more as realized with my Sport Individual setting to throw everything into Sport Plus all I need to do is to toggle the gear shift to the left. When done back to the right. Poor man's M1 button. 🤣
Additionally, toggling the gear shifter will only bump you into a higher rpm band. Sport and sport plus will activate higher PSI levels of boost and more turbo power quicker spooling with pre twin scroll. Comfort or eco won't achieve the same HP & TRQ as Sport even with the toggled shifter.
And of course the transmission shifting timing is different too.
Appreciate 3
Ben_K189.50
      07-13-2022, 12:06 PM   #17
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
Additionally, toggling the gear shifter will only bump you into a higher rpm band. Sport and sport plus will activate higher PSI levels of boost and more turbo power quicker spooling with pre twin scroll. Comfort or eco won't achieve the same HP & TRQ as Sport even with the toggled shifter.
And of course the transmission shifting timing is different too.
Exactly as with Individual and my settings the toggle switches transmission to Sport Plus and guessing the chassis/suspension as well. Basically, it is the same "setting" for launch control.
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2022, 06:19 PM   #18
M8Bimmer
Not a good Canadian sheep!
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 Competition

I installed the Peddle commander and the Race Chip Black. Now between those two units endless settings and the M buttons as well as the Shift point button....it's nut on choices.
I can dial that beast into any config I want. It's actually kinda over kill with it all.
There must be 50 ways at least to have it. But it does give you an abundant amount of ways to drive it.
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2022, 08:29 PM   #19
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M8Bimmer View Post
I installed the Peddle commander and the Race Chip Black. Now between those two units endless settings and the M buttons as well as the Shift point button....it's nut on choices.
I can dial that beast into any config I want. It's actually kinda over kill with it all.
There must be 50 ways at least to have it. But it does give you an abundant amount of ways to drive it.
1000%. It's the same setup I have.
Appreciate 0