M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion 4,200 Mile New M850 Shakedown Cruise Through SW USA

06-04-2022, 02:39 PM   #67
///MML
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Great job and I always appreciate your trip reports.

My best was a 3000mi trip in the e92 M3…need to get another planned and take some of your routes 👍
      06-05-2022, 10:00 AM   #68
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850 GC - Carbon Black

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JF01 View Post
Wow! Thank you so much for sharing those beautiful pictures! So many of them. I'm in love with the views, hope to see that all on my own one day.
Glad you enjoyed them. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
Beautiful pics! How did you keep the car so clean the whole trip?
Well, my Donington M5 with Ceramic Pro never looked dirty. I would wash it every 4 days on a trip. My Brands Hatch M5 would need it every 3 days because it was darker. The M850 never had a chance for a ceramic coating before I left, plus it's dark blue. So it probably had 7 or 8 washes in 2 weeks. Usually just found a gas station with a brushless wash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by white2abbit View Post
Epic trip! Love seeing road trip threads. Amazing photos too.
You should know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harperium View Post
i love these posts! a kindred spirit! I've got over 19K miles on my X3MC in a year from road trips. These days I use a windshield-mounted GoPro and record the driving experience on the most scenic parts - lets me re-live the drive.

You might want to look into picking up a drone. Lots of fun to get aerials as you park on the side of the road.
I just walked past some drones at Best Buy the other day. That would be cool. The wife is getting tired of me just taking pictures. Can't imagine the grief coming from the time it would take to set up and fly a drone!
Appreciate 1
JF0161.50
      06-05-2022, 10:09 AM   #69
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malfunkshun'd View Post
Hard to beat a road trip like that.
Beautiful pictures. Rule of the 2/3 - 1/3 never disappoints!!
Appreciate it. It's funny, though. Half the time its so bright I can't even see what's in my viewfinder. Just point, shoot, tilt a bit, shoot, tilt, pan, shoot. Hope for the best and then just start cropping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARTS@STBMW View Post
This is awesome, thanks for sharing!
You're welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrundke View Post
Thank you for sharing the trip. My wife has converted this midwestern boy into a Californiaphile, and you've given me some great ideas for stops on our next trip out there. Really appreciate it.
Don't forget Utah....and, it's on the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamasM3e93 View Post
Lunch at Ventana, nice! We skipped it on our leg through Big Sur last week-so of course now I'm jealous and must redo the section.
We didn't have lunch at Ventana. We were at Nepenthe, just a little further down the road. And, it doesn't ever hurt to go back to the 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MML View Post
Great job and I always appreciate your trip reports.

My best was a 3000mi trip in the e92 M3…need to get another planned and take some of your routes ��
Thank you. Where did your 3,000 miles take you?

Last edited by snowbimmer; 06-06-2022 at 07:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 02:26 AM   #70
[/:\] GP9000
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F31 330i

Garage List
What an epic trip - especially when starting it right from the showroom.
Carbon Black never gets out of style and looks fantastic on larger cars suiting the M850 sooo well

Did you face any troubles going without plates? (Just the registration paper)
How about flooring it one the open road? I always have the impression cops are all over the place in US (writing from Germany).

I up vote your trip to 🇨🇦 since we also had a fantastic roadtrip starting from Calgary via Banff - Whistler -Tofino - Victoria to Vancouver.
Appreciate 1
snowbimmer5029.50
      06-06-2022, 04:54 AM   #71
F80DK
Second Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp. Maledives Blue

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
I wanna live your life

Writing from Denmark. Used to live in San Francisco back in 1990 and took many wonderful road trips: Furnace Creek Inn for sure in Death Valley. My hair was long: jumping into their pool in July, getting up in the other end, walking down again to take another dip - and my hair was just dry. 49 defrees Celsius at 9 PM, when arriving! Take my hat off for the many settlers that took this maybe not-so-scenic to them route…

Thank you for giving me inspiration to go back!
Appreciate 1
snowbimmer5029.50
      06-07-2022, 09:19 AM   #72
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by [/:\] GP9000 View Post
What an epic trip - especially when starting it right from the showroom.
Carbon Black never gets out of style and looks fantastic on larger cars suiting the M850 sooo well

Did you face any troubles going without plates? (Just the registration paper)
How about flooring it one the open road? I always have the impression cops are all over the place in US (writing from Germany).

I up vote your trip to 🇨🇦 since we also had a fantastic roadtrip starting from Calgary via Banff - Whistler -Tofino - Victoria to Vancouver.
Yep, Carbon Black is a great color. Looking forward to getting a ceramic coating on it.

No trouble without plates. Never really saw any gendarmes - anywhere.

Which speaks to your next question: flooring it with cops around. There are plenty of desolate places in California, Utah, Nevada and Arizona to really get on it. I did it a fair amount in my 3 M5 trips. For some reason I didn't behave like a hooligan on this trip. I had more freeway miles than usual this time, so going 85 mph can scratch part of that itch. It also seems that there are actually fewer cops out. A lot of police budgets have been cut back in the US.

And yes, Canadian road trips are a blast.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 09:23 AM   #73
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F80DK View Post
I wanna live your life

Writing from Denmark. Used to live in San Francisco back in 1990 and took many wonderful road trips: Furnace Creek Inn for sure in Death Valley. My hair was long: jumping into their pool in July, getting up in the other end, walking down again to take another dip - and my hair was just dry. 49 degrees Celsius at 9 PM, when arriving! Take my hat off for the many settlers that took this maybe not-so-scenic to them route…

Thank you for giving me inspiration to go back!
A quick calc shows 49C to be 120F. Yikes. We had the perfect day there. Late April is cool and the crowds are small.

Glad I could inspire you. Now, if I could just get to Denmark..........
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 12:41 AM   #74
Mr.blue
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i Xdrive, 2021 X5M co

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbimmer View Post
[SIZE="3"][COLOR="Navy"]Day 15: Eureka to Portland, OR - 422 Miles[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Attachment 2894269

Heading home the fastest possible route, but we're not done yet. First off, gotta get mugged at the gas station for the largest gas bill of my life. Thanks, Joe. Guess this seems cheap now, less than a month later.
Attachment 2894270

Not many chances for pictures. A rest area is nestled in among the redwoods.
Attachment 2894271

Attachment 2894272

Hwy 101 is very scenic along the coast. Several Elk herds are passed, the forests are lush and green. A few miles before Crecent City you come upon Trees of Mystery. It's a great family owned (since 1946) labor of love roadside attraction full of giant Redwoods and unusual tree formations. A must stop.
Attachment 2894273

Attachment 2894274

Attachment 2894275

At Crescent City we turn inland on Hwy 199 - the Redwood Highway. Another marvelous 50 mile stretch of road with elk, forests and rivers. Traffic is heavy, so the foot isn't. Rats.

We reach I-5 at Grants Pass, OR and now its just 260 miles home of freeway driving. The good news is that the first 150 miles are quite varied and scenic before
you reach Eugene. You'll have to take my word for it - alas, no pictures.

Home about 6 PM after picking up the dog in Salem. Then got most of the bugs off the car - it's going in for summer tires tomorrow at 9AM. Gots to be clean.
Attachment 2894276

10 AM the next day - SUMMERS ON!!! Now I can see what this car can really do with a decent, low profile, road tire. I just know it will handle a lot better. [COLOR="Red"]Edit: It does.[/COLOR]
Attachment 2894277

Reflections

Another great BMW road trip in the books. The next trip might come in at only 10 pictures, however, 'cuz the wifey, patient as she is, is catching on to me. We'll see.

Two potential late summer trips are either back to Colorado or up to Banff, Jasper in the Canadian Rockies and then all the way over to Prince Rupert on the Pacific to take the ferry back down to Vancouver Island, then over to Whistler. Both would be a blast.

While I was very sad to let my M5C go (it's sorely missed when you want to get rowdy on curvey 2 lane roads) I have to admit that I am really enjoying the M850. Sure, it's not a complete brute, but it can totally get the job done. If I had to describe it in only one word, I would choose Smooth. Now that I have the summers back on, even if they are the Pirelli runflats, I'm having a blast tooling around town. Just quiet and fun. Now, about those Alpina B8s.................

My only negative is that I was getting ready to store the winters and noticed that each tire had the inside inch of rubber worn way down. Identical treadwear on all four. Sure sounds like a camber problem. Brand new car and BMW won't pay for it because it has to be brought in by the first 2,000 miles. Really? I was kinda busy that week. And, the next.

Thanks for following along and we'll see ya out there.
Man! That was some trip, first of all, I don't think my wife and I could have been in the car together for that long without arguing about something small, lol! But seriously, the photos are awesome and some are breathtaking. The car looks pretty sexy too, nice color combo.
      06-29-2022, 03:10 PM   #75
joao.toscano
Captain
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M140i

Garage List
First of all thanks for sharing another gorgeous trip! Spectacular scenery and now with the M850i pictures have another colour let's say! I've took some pictures and saved them locally as I will have periodically some as background of my laptops. My wife also liked your tours as i briefly shared her.

HGT'2022 |
M&M-PerformanceCC
Appreciate 2
M8Bimmer1265.00
snowbimmer5029.50
      07-01-2022, 12:35 PM   #76
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by joao.toscano View Post
First of all thanks for sharing another gorgeous trip! Spectacular scenery and now with the M850i pictures have another colour let's say! I've took some pictures and saved them locally as I will have periodically some as background of my laptops. My wife also liked your tours as i briefly shared her.
Thanks so much, glad you enjoyed them.

Which pictures did you like? Scenery pics, car pics or car pics with scenery?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 12:40 PM   #77
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.blue View Post
Man! That was some trip, first of all, I don't think my wife and I could have been in the car together for that long without arguing about something small, lol! But seriously, the photos are awesome and some are breathtaking. The car looks pretty sexy too, nice color combo.
We only got in one argument. It was approaching mid-afternoon. We were trying to get to the restaurant in Big Sur. She was hungry. I kept stopping for pictures. She lost it. Cost me a $19 glass of chardonney at lunch. All good.
Appreciate 0