M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Check Engine 16050A Code

12-23-2022, 08:01 PM   #1
TheGreatM8
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Check Engine 16050A Code

So recently I got a CEL 16050A.

*Crankcase Ventilation Leakage*

This came on shortly after I installed the Eventuri CF turbo inlet tubes.
I disconnected everything and re-connected it again to see if I had a possible bad connection with one of the hoses or where it connects to the actual turbos. All seemed correct with that. and cleared the code fault. Later the same day after about 30-40 minutes of driving the CEL came back on. Same code.

So continuing to trouble shoot. Checked the gas cap, oil fill cap and lines again. Cleared the code again and same thing 30-40 min came on again.

Took it to service today and they are fully aware of all my mods in fact I had BMW install the downpipes so nothing to hide here. They came up with same code and also did several tests:
-Checked sensor connections and condition
-Smoke leak check
-Found to be operating with no leaks
-All connections are good and tight
They did state that the "engine is heavily modified and possible cause is outside factory specs". Basically gave me a clean bill of health lol but that CEL is still gonna come back.

I get it... Yes It is modified and really just wanted to clarify that nothing major was happening. The car runs just fine, no signs of anything malfunctioning.

Anyone else experience this?

I drove 2000 + miles with all the mods until those tubes were installed. I find it hard to believe that they alone are the cause but who knows...

Changing the mods back to OEM ain't happening in my world. Wondering what my options are?

Last edited by TheGreatM8; 12-23-2022 at 09:23 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-24-2022, 11:15 AM   #2
M8Bimmer
Not a good Canadian sheep!
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatM8 View Post

I disconnected everything and re-connected it again to see if I had a possible bad connection with one of the hoses or where it connects to the actual turbos. All seemed correct with that. and cleared the code fault. Later the same day after about 30-40 minutes of driving the CEL came back on. Same code.

I get it... Yes It is modified and really just wanted to clarify that nothing major was happening. The car runs just fine, no signs of anything malfunctioning.

Changing the mods back to OEM ain't happening in my world. Wondering what my options are?
As a new owner(2 years now) I enjoy reading about all the mods you guys do. Amazing !
I was always the same way with lots of things I own. I always end up upgrading stuff or buying the "best" one.
But one of the reason I bought BMW's best car, the M8 Comp, was so I didn't need to upgrade anything really. I had the best one already then. Spec it how I wanted.
I have done some stuff but not much engine wise or suspension wise either. I did add the Race Chip black device.
I don't want to compromise the fine operation of the vehicle stock.That why I bought top of the line in the first place. It has it all....mostly. I prefer stock as it just works well from factory. If I needed more I would have bought an even higher end car. At my age I don't need the hassles of making shit work on the car. Plus I don't want to turn it into a boy racer toy tuner car.
Not against cosmetic changes for my car but just don't want to turn it into a "not" a BMW anymore car.
You guys are BRAVE !
Appreciate 2
      12-24-2022, 10:57 PM   #3
downeykp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 M8 coupe 2019 Colorado ZR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M8Bimmer View Post
As a new owner(2 years now) I enjoy reading about all the mods you guys do. Amazing !
I was always the same way with lots of things I own. I always end up upgrading stuff or buying the "best" one.
But one of the reason I bought BMW's best car, the M8 Comp, was so I didn't need to upgrade anything really. I had the best one already then. Spec it how I wanted.
I have done some stuff but not much engine wise or suspension wise either. I did add the Race Chip black device.
I don't want to compromise the fine operation of the vehicle stock.That why I bought top of the line in the first place. It has it all....mostly. I prefer stock as it just works well from factory. If I needed more I would have bought an even higher end car. At my age I don't need the hassles of making shit work on the car. Plus I don't want to turn it into a boy racer toy tuner car.
Not against cosmetic changes for my car but just don't want to turn it into a "not" a BMW anymore car.
You guys are BRAVE !
Totally agree with your post. The car the way it comes from the factory is plenty for me. It sounds awesome stock. The stereo sounds great to my ears, hell most of the time I do not even turn it on. I do not see the need to spend more money to make a great looking and driving car better. On the street it really does not matter.

On the other hand, if you are going to race it the mods make a lot of sense.

Just my two cents.
Appreciate 2
      12-26-2022, 10:46 AM   #4
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:

So continuing to trouble shoot. Checked the gas cap, oil fill cap and lines again. Cleared the code again and same thing 30-40 min came on again.

Took it to service today and they are fully aware of all my mods in fact I had BMW install the downpipes so nothing to hide here. They came up with same code and also did several tests:
-Smoke leak check
They did state that the "engine is heavily modified and possible cause is outside factory specs". Basically gave me a clean bill of health lol but that CEL is still gonna come back.

I drove 2000 + miles with all the mods until those tubes were installed. I find it hard to believe that they alone are the cause but who knows...

Well I don't think any of your mods could increase crank pressure to through the code... Most commonly on such a new ride is the filter or sensor.... But you said they checked it...... Maybe if it comes back pay to have them swapped anyway. Smoke test was a great way to make sure everything was good internally, your not burning oil correct? Oil level is good?
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 2
      12-26-2022, 10:55 AM   #5
TheGreatM8
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
Well I don't think any of your mods could increase crank pressure to through the code... Most commonly on such a new ride is the filter or sensor.... But you said they checked it...... Maybe if it comes back pay to have them swapped anyway. Smoke test was a great way to make sure everything was good internally, your not burning oil correct? Oil level is good?
Good idea on install new sensor even if I have to pay. And correct there is no oil consumption.
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2022, 10:54 AM   #6
TheGreatM8
Captain
Rep

Quote:

-Smoke leak check

Da_BatMann_
See comments above. Sounds like we have same problem but different codes.

Please let me know what you find out, and I'll do the same.
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2022, 01:47 PM   #7
Da_BatMann_
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M8C GC

See my most recent post on my thread
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2023, 06:29 PM   #8
TheGreatM8
Captain
Rep

Just wanted to follow up on this original thread regarding the fix to the CEL and Eventuri.

They, (Eventuri) sent 2 new gaskets for the breather lines, and admitted that there was a problem on the first run of the inlet tubes that got sent out. They sent new ones and easily installed in 10 minutes. So far the CEL has not come back on. If you're experiencing this, contact them thru their website email and they will send you new ones.
Kudos to the team at Eventuri.
Appreciate 2
Tenac4593.50
      01-12-2023, 07:08 PM   #9
Bryan815
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M8. 1970 MBZ 280SL

Garage List
I ENDED UP TAKING MY INLET TUBES OUT . EVENTURI NEVER REPLIED. The Venturi intake minus the inlet tubes works with CEL 2022 M8GC Bryan
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2023, 07:51 PM   #10
naiza3k
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 6spd | 2023 m8cgc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan815 View Post
I ENDED UP TAKING MY INLET TUBES OUT . EVENTURI NEVER REPLIED. The Venturi intake minus the inlet tubes works with CEL 2022 M8GC Bryan
With the turbo inlet tubes taken out, you don’t have a cel?

Previous: 2015 X5 Graphite, |All options| - 2014 435i Xdrive Msport, |Fully Loaded|6MT|FBO|JB4|Front,side,rear lips/spoilers|- 2015 320i Xdrive, |Wife's beater| - 2008 535i Xdrive
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2023, 08:39 AM   #11
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

I've had the updated ones and installed by r33_RGSport about 6 months back no issues with them now. I think it was an early product release issue that they resolved.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0