M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos E92/G37 Options

10-12-2007, 12:36 PM   #111
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeveryday View Post
Ehh I beg to differ being that 2003 was the first time Inifniti has come out with anything along that line, as far a sports coupe. Inifiniti before that point was pure luxury, thats it (no sports line like the M series). BMW has been playing that same image "im a BMW, buy me for that reason" up until this point. Now they have competition so THEY stepped their game up. People started thinkning, why am I buying a BMW for 40k when I can have a car that performs similar (if not better) and looks nice for 36K.

And come on man. Im not too sure of what the e46 series consist of, but please do not tell me you are talking about the 330i or 325i. I do believe a G35 can and has handled them. If im wrong of what an e46 is please excuse my ignorance, im pretty new to the BMW scene, but has been watching from the outside.

What are you disagreeing with? I mentioned that Infiniti produced nothing nearly equivalent to a 3-series until '04 (...which includes end of the year 2003). Infiniti was not pure luxury before that point, nor are they pure luxury now. The poor performing, Nissan Sentra based, G20 was Infiniti's attempt at a sport sedan prior to the G35 coupe/sedan. Furthermore, Infiniti still doesn't have an ///M equivalent. And the BMW image has always been based on being a very balanced driving machine, which it is. Infiniti still has yet to match the recipe.

And from personal experience, a 330ci/330i is still a better driving/performing vehicle than a G35.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2007, 12:41 PM   #112
RodB
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i Convertible and Coupe

Quote:
Ehh I beg to differ being that 2003 was the first time Inifniti has come out with anything along that line, as far a sports coupe. Inifiniti before that point was pure luxury, thats it (no sports line like the M series). BMW has been playing that same image "im a BMW, buy me for that reason" up until this point. Now they have competition so THEY stepped their game up. People started thinkning, why am I buying a BMW for 40k when I can have a car that performs similar (if not better) and looks nice for 36K.

And come on man. Im not too sure of what the e46 series consist of, but please do not tell me you are talking about the 330i or 325i. I do believe a G35 can and has handled them. If im wrong of what an e46 is please excuse my ignorance, im pretty new to the BMW scene, but has been watching from the outside.

And just out of curiosity (forgive me if you posted your reasons earlier), but why are you hanging out on a BMW forum if you're so happy with your G??
      10-12-2007, 01:57 PM   #113
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Urus, 958.2 TTS, 997 S

"G37 Coupe Sport 6MT
$35,550*!!!!
-Includes all G37 Coupe Journey standard equipment (delayed availability of auto-on/off headlights)
-6-speed manual transmission with short throw shifter
-19-inch 10-spoke aluminum-allow wheels
-4-piston front brake calipers with 14-inch rotors
-Sport-tuned suspension
-Viscous limited-slip differential"

with all that as standard equipment, the g37 already is much more of a value than the 335i HANDS DOWN.
      10-12-2007, 02:56 PM   #114
RodB
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by a burrito View Post
"G37 Coupe Sport 6MT
$35,550*!!!!
-Includes all G37 Coupe Journey standard equipment (delayed availability of auto-on/off headlights)
-Sport-tuned suspension

with all that as standard equipment, the g37 already is much more of a value than the 335i HANDS DOWN.
Isn't that special??!! So, we can assume you'll be trading your 330i for the G37 and going over to forums for and about G37 to talk about all things fabulous with Infiniti's right???? Doesn't seem there's much reason to hang around a BMW forum if you believe the G is so fantastic!
      10-12-2007, 02:57 PM   #115
Boben5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 328 coupe

yeah and you also get with the G37 tire roar out the ying yang, engine noise in the cabin, and bad build quality. Dont get your leg caught in the door it will break it right off.
      10-12-2007, 05:09 PM   #116
jeveryday
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodB View Post
And just out of curiosity (forgive me if you posted your reasons earlier), but why are you hanging out on a BMW forum if you're so happy with your G??
Dont worry you are forgivin. Feel free to page back since you are curious. I already explained why. Plus my lease is up next year. 335 seems like the only real comp for the G37, IMO.

Last edited by jeveryday; 10-12-2007 at 05:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2007, 05:26 PM   #117
jeveryday
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
What are you disagreeing with? I mentioned that Infiniti produced nothing nearly equivalent to a 3-series until '04 (...which includes end of the year 2003). Infiniti was not pure luxury before that point, nor are they pure luxury now. The poor performing, Nissan Sentra based, G20 was Infiniti's attempt at a sport sedan prior to the G35 coupe/sedan. Furthermore, Infiniti still doesn't have an ///M equivalent. And the BMW image has always been based on being a very balanced driving machine, which it is. Infiniti still has yet to match the recipe.

And from personal experience, a 330ci/330i is still a better driving/performing vehicle than a G35.
First of the G20 was NOT a sports sedan. It was simply a entry level luxury sedan (version of the Nissan Senta). Secondly, how can you even compare the two when there was almost a 10k price difference.

Next you talk about an equivalent to the M class. Infiniti has never put out a pure sports car as the M is. It is simply a subdivision of Nissan. However, if the Skyline comes to Inifniti (as it was once rumored), theres your answer to the ENTIRE M class .

I have nothing against the 335, its a excellent car as I stated before. But you cannot ignore the slacking that was going on prior to the 335. That car and that car alone is the answer people have been waiting for. Correct me if im wrong but when is the last time you have heard this much hype of a BMW 3 series, prior to this. THAT IS MY POINT and yes I do feel the only reason it was produced was to finally keep up with the competition ie. G35, EVO and STI.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2007, 07:15 PM   #118
Bimmer007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars

Quote:
Isn't that special??!! So, we can assume you'll be trading your 330i for the G37 and going over to forums for and about G37 to talk about all things fabulous with Infiniti's right???? Doesn't seem there's much reason to hang around a BMW forum if you believe the G is so fantastic!
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbo5 View Post
yeah and you also get with the G37 tire roar out the ying yang, engine noise in the cabin, and bad build quality. Dont get your leg caught in the door it will break it right off.
^
+1

There is no way i would ever go from a BMW to nissan, total step down

as you can see the pics i posted in page 5 the interior is very cheap.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2007, 09:46 PM   #119
RodB
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer007 View Post
^
+1

There is no way i would ever go from a BMW to nissan, total step down

as you can see the pics i posted in page 5 the interior is very cheap.
I had a G35 once. The interior was the worst plasticky thing I've ever owned. Once the sexy lines of the car (I did think it was cool looking and that was probably the only reason I bought it to begin with) wore off, I absolutely utterly hated the blasted thing. The flaws were so abundant, I got rid of it after just 6 months and went right back to Mercedes and German engineering. Sorry, but Nissan/Infinity just isn't on the same level as BMW. Maybe someday they will be, but for now, BMW has it all over Infiniti. Just my opinion of course.........
      10-12-2007, 11:29 PM   #120
Phil325
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 SGM E90

Garage List
2006 325i  [10.00]
i like both but i guess i would lean more towards the E92.
      10-13-2007, 12:22 AM   #121
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Exactly. You don't see many 335 owners lurking on a G3x forum talking ****. There'd be no point.

It reminds me of this conservative that was on CNBC yesterday. He doesn't like Al Gore, so when the Nobel Peace Prize was brought up, he knocked the Nobel committee and the award. That's exactly what a person does when he cannot compete on a level playing field. On a level playing field, the G3x loses to the 335 in every way, shape, and form, from a performance standpoint. So G owners never stop talking about their electronics and lower price. There's nothing wrong with a G3x. It's a great car. Just stop trying to say it's better than this, that, and the other. Because simply stated, it's not. Thing guzzles fuel, has not a lot of torque, and vibrates like a sob. But it's a V6, so it's not possible to get secondary balance anyway.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2007, 11:34 AM   #122
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
First of the G20 was NOT a sports sedan. It was simply a entry level luxury sedan (version of the Nissan Senta). Secondly, how can you even compare the two when there was almost a 10k price difference.

Next you talk about an equivalent to the M class. Infiniti has never put out a pure sports car as the M is. It is simply a subdivision of Nissan. However, if the Skyline comes to Inifniti (as it was once rumored), theres your answer to the ENTIRE M class .

I have nothing against the 335, its a excellent car as I stated before. But you cannot ignore the slacking that was going on prior to the 335. That car and that car alone is the answer people have been waiting for. Correct me if im wrong but when is the last time you have heard this much hype of a BMW 3 series, prior to this. THAT IS MY POINT and yes I do feel the only reason it was produced was to finally keep up with the competition ie. G35, EVO and STI.

Ummm....the 3-series is an entry level luxury sedan/coupe as well, so I don't understand your argument. AND back when the G20 was in production, there were comparos that did include the 3-series at that time. That was my point! I wasn't comparing the G20 to the current 3-coupe/sedan. Cost is irrelevant in this discussion. People compare cars with vast price differences all the time (...335 vs G37.....M3 vs C63 anyone????).

And sorry, the Skyline isn't necessarily an "///M Class" vehicle.

Lastly, why do you continue to claim a lackadaisical attitude on BMW's part when concerning an aging platform???? The G35 came into the mix at the near end of the E46 model run; the ZHP package and facelift for the 3-series was enough to counter the Infiniti effort (...not that the standard version wasn't enough). Speaking of hype, there is always hype on the BMW forums. The introduction of the 335 isn't the first time, nor will it be the last time, that enthusiasts get hyped about a BMW product. Have you never spent time on a BMW forum prior to the 335????? Obviously not!

P.S. The EVO and STI are not direct competition to the 3-series. The demographic that generally purchases BMW's, Merc's, Audi's, etc. do not cross shop w/ the EVO or STI.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2007, 12:02 PM   #123
purplewidow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Quote:

ummm actually nooo bmw looks at there own cars and what the public wants...every 3 series since the m3 unveils has taken the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times from the previous m3....look at how the e46 330 stands against the e36 m3 and look at how the e46 m3 has about the same times as the new 335...they could give a shit about what nissan/infiniti does b/c they are the best in the industry with the 3's.....a 328 will cost less to own than a g35 a 335 will cost less to own as well....why? b/c more people want em there value holds up a lot more b/c of quantity/demand/quality....i drove a g35 about a week ago it was a friends....man i don't even know how you can compare the 2 he had about 7700 miles on it and it was a rattle box...my 335 has 7800 and not one squeak rattle nada and i drive her pretty damn hard... the G35 felt all loose and the steering was rank... it wasn't even a consideration when buying my car... bro g35 has some similar numbers but that's it!!!!! the quality is far less the quality of the steering, engine respnse, suspension, were all junk in comparison...it felt just like my buddies 350z...BMW didn't step anything up cause of infiniti...they sell way way way way less cars than bmw world wide for a reason!!!!! BMW's aren't for the name and never have been they have been for the ride and handling and the DRIVE...not some crap sd card slot that no one will use...hell no ipod in the g's wtf are they thinking not even in the new g37....talk about a crap company!!!!!!!! they have to deal with nissan there parent company bmw has to deal with bmw...they don't make some crap nissans and the whale tail on the new g37 looks hideous...looks more like a toyota now..... and whenever i am up against a g35 it isn't even close i blow them away....so what gives are you just protecting your ride? remember the 3 series follows the previous m3 stats not what is going on in the auto world...b/c the m3 sets trends and standards...NOT AUDI OR MERC at least not in this category...they all copy things from the m3...oh and by the way the evo and sti are rally cars the bmw isn't...and i still pull on my buds sti with my 335 over 80-90mph it isn't even close.......the others copy bmw bud and do it poorly esp infiniti...whose cars when they get older rattle like there nissan counterparts with fury
________
starcraft replays
________
Sales@arizer.com

Last edited by purplewidow; 09-11-2011 at 05:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2007, 12:12 PM   #124
Mace
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
Exactly. You don't see many 335 owners lurking on a G3x forum talking ****. There'd be no point.

It reminds me of this conservative that was on CNBC yesterday. He doesn't like Al Gore, so when the Nobel Peace Prize was brought up, he knocked the Nobel committee and the award. That's exactly what a person does when he cannot compete on a level playing field. On a level playing field, the G3x loses to the 335 in every way, shape, and form, from a performance standpoint. So G owners never stop talking about their electronics and lower price. There's nothing wrong with a G3x. It's a great car. Just stop trying to say it's better than this, that, and the other. Because simply stated, it's not. Thing guzzles fuel, has not a lot of torque, and vibrates like a sob. But it's a V6, so it's not possible to get secondary balance anyway.
Your comment about Al Gore makes no sense but I do agree that the G owners do tend to emphasize "features" over "performance" at times. Are you saying Al emphasizes hysteria over facts? Must be what you meant.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2007, 01:09 PM   #125
sambonator
Samtaro!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 N55 Alpinweiß

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplewidow View Post
ummm actually nooo bmw looks at there own cars and what the public wants...every 3 series since the m3 unveils has taken the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times from the previous m3....look at how the e46 330 stands against the e36 m3 and look at how the e46 m3 has about the same times as the new 335...they could give a shit about what nissan/infiniti does b/c they are the best in the industry with the 3's.....a 328 will cost less to own than a g35 a 335 will cost less to own as well....why? b/c more people want em there value holds up a lot more b/c of quantity/demand/quality....i drove a g35 about a week ago it was a friends....man i don't even know how you can compare the 2 he had about 7700 miles on it and it was a rattle box...my 335 has 7800 and not one squeak rattle nada and i drive her pretty damn hard... the G35 felt all loose and the steering was rank... it wasn't even a consideration when buying my car... bro g35 has some similar numbers but that's it!!!!! the quality is far less the quality of the steering, engine respnse, suspension, were all junk in comparison...it felt just like my buddies 350z...BMW didn't step anything up cause of infiniti...they sell way way way way less cars than bmw world wide for a reason!!!!! BMW's aren't for the name and never have been they have been for the ride and handling and the DRIVE...not some crap sd card slot that no one will use...hell no ipod in the g's wtf are they thinking not even in the new g37....talk about a crap company!!!!!!!! they have to deal with nissan there parent company bmw has to deal with bmw...they don't make some crap nissans and the whale tail on the new g37 looks hideous...looks more like a toyota now..... and whenever i am up against a g35 it isn't even close i blow them away....so what gives are you just protecting your ride? remember the 3 series follows the previous m3 stats not what is going on in the auto world...b/c the m3 sets trends and standards...NOT AUDI OR MERC at least not in this category...they all copy things from the m3...oh and by the way the evo and sti are rally cars the bmw isn't...and i still pull on my buds sti with my 335 over 80-90mph it isn't even close.......the others copy bmw bud and do it poorly esp infiniti...whose cars when they get older rattle like there nissan counterparts with fury

I haven't read any car reviews that said Inifiniti dynamics are "junk." In fact Car & Driver chose the M45 over the 550i.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...m45-sport.html
      10-13-2007, 01:16 PM   #126
wesley_willis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

i don't understand why people go to car magazines to base their comparisons, especially sponsor hungry ones such as C&D.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2007, 02:00 PM   #127
sambonator
Samtaro!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 N55 Alpinweiß

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesley_willis View Post
i don't understand why people go to car magazines to base their comparisons, especially sponsor hungry ones such as C&D.
So what would be your source for unbiased information? PurpleWindow?
      10-13-2007, 02:06 PM   #128
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesley_willis View Post
They don't need sponsors/advertisements, they make their revenue on subscription fees. j/k I got an offer in the mail, three 12 mo. subscriptions for $17 (get one for yourself, give 2 as gifts). One would think that unless they're printed in China and somehow drop-shipped to a port, that wouldn't even cover the printing and distrubution costs.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2007, 09:11 PM   #129
blanca333
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

335 IS SOOOO MUCH BETTER LOOKING.

the g37 looks like a giant piece of poo with pointy lights
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2007, 08:40 AM   #130
elalona
Private First Class
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: E39-03' E92 335 since 11DEC06

G37

Horsepower 330 hp @ 7,000 rpm
Torque 270 lb-ft @ 5,200 rpm

what about 0-60?
      10-14-2007, 08:48 AM   #131
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by a burrito View Post
"G37 Coupe Sport 6MT
$35,550*!!!!
-Sport-tuned suspension

I just don't get where the disconnect is. Infiniti owners are like real estate agents who keep trying to say how great a house is, even though it's not in a location that you want. To make the sale, they want you to compromise on your location, which is, um, pretty important if not the most important factor.

Nobody can deny the G is a great car, and it's great value. But according to R&T, there isn't a single category where the G37 beats the 335 on paper. Now add the real world driving to it and the G37 vibrates and uses a lot of fuel, and has less usable torque. Does that make it less than a great car? No. But it falls short of a 335 coupe.

Nissan should do us all a favor and put direct injection in that motor. If anything, it will vastly improve the fuel economy. It may also bump the power/torque up a bit, maybe not, because the motor revs so high to produce its current numbers. But its a V6, so some of that vibration cannot be removed, even with counter balance shafts, which will sap even more power and fuel economy.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2007, 08:58 AM   #132
Bimmer007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanca333 View Post
335 IS SOOOO MUCH BETTER LOOKING.

the g37 looks like a giant piece of poo with pointy lights
^