M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Why EVs Are Infinitely Better Than Fuel-Powered Cars

08-16-2023, 11:07 AM   #67
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcman View Post
Now, stop trying to derail EV threads
By all means stop pointing out the FACTS.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 11:11 AM   #68
fcman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
By all means stop pointing out the FACTS.
What you posted has nothing to do with EVs. One can like EVs and have no concerns about energy, climate change, animal rights, etc.

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 11:13 AM   #69
fcman
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Cause / Effect. The wind turbine sonar mapping and construction more than likely affected the brains of the Whales causing ship strikes and groundings.

“NOAA said it has been studying what it calls “unusual mortality events” involving 174 humpback whales along the East Coast since January 2016. Agency spokesperson Lauren Gaches said that period pre-dates offshore wind preparation activities in the region.” Gaches is NOAA Fisheries press chief.

The “unusual mortality” data is astounding. Basically the humpback death rate roughly tripled starting in 2016 and continued high thereafter. You can see it here:

There are lots of ways this sonar blasting might cause whales to die. Simply fleeing the incredible noise could cause ship strikes or fish gear entanglements, the two leading causes of whale deaths. Of the whales could be deafened, increasing their chances of being struck by a ship later on. Direct bleeding injury, like getting their ears damaged, is another known risk, possibly leading to death from infection. So there can be a big time difference between blasting and death.

Note also that these deaths need not be in the immediate vicinity of the sonar blasting, so spatial correlation is unlikely. Humpbacks in particular are prodigious travelers. One group was tracked traveling 3,000 miles in just 28 days, over 100 miles a day on average. Another group routinely migrates 5,000 miles. Both are winter-summer migrations which can happen twice a year.
https://www.cfact.org/2023/01/23/evi...ots-of-whales/
Quote:
CFACT is a member organization of the Cooler Heads Coalition, which rejects climate science, is known to promote falsehoods about climate change and has been characterized as a leader in efforts to stop the government from addressing climate change.[15][16] CFACT chapters have protested in defense of oil exploration[17][failed verification] and in opposition to the Kyoto Protocol.[18][19] CFACT supports drilling for oil in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge as well as hydraulic fracturing (fracking) in natural gas and oil-rich regions of the country.[20][21]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commit...ctive_Tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 11:16 AM   #70
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
Quote:
One can like EVs and have no concerns about energy, climate change, animal rights, etc.
What do EV's run on? Besides Government redistribution of tax pay money? Electricity

Why are EV's pushed? To save the planet.

So we will kill the whales to save the planet?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 11:19 AM   #71
fcman
Captain
Rep

Quote:
What do EV's run on? Besides Government redistribution of tax pay money? Electricity

Why are EV's pushed? To save the planet.

So we will kill the whales to save the planet?
Nonsense, maybe I dont believe in manmade climate change and dont think EVs will save the planet. And maybe if I did, maybe I think killing whales is a fair price to pay.

Maybe I just like how they drive or the convenience for my usecase

Get back on topic, but I feel like you don't actually know how to argue against EVs as vehicles, thats why you try to derail.
Appreciate 1
SoCal_NSX2399.50
      08-16-2023, 11:21 AM   #72
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
Quote:
From the posted article:
https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/natio...atlantic-coast
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 11:27 AM   #73
fcman
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Now scroll down to the FAQs Offshore Wind and Whales

Quote:
We work with our partners to analyze and understand the causes of death when we are able, following the science and data. At this point, there is no scientific evidence that noise resulting from offshore wind site characterization surveys could potentially cause mortality of whales. There are no known links between recent large whale mortalities and ongoing offshore wind surveys.
thanks for defeating your own argument I guess.

Now stop going off topic. Remember I don’t care about whales
Appreciate 1
RM72892.50
      08-16-2023, 12:02 PM   #74
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

I'm only in this thread for the whales. I drive a Tesla to save them.
Appreciate 2
      08-16-2023, 12:06 PM   #75
fcman
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
I'm only in this thread for the whales. I drive a Tesla to save them.
We can balance each other out, deal? I try to hit at least 1 whale per week.
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2023, 12:21 PM   #76
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
We can balance each other out, deal? I try to hit at least 1 whale per week.
I love whales. But I can never eat a whole one.
Appreciate 2
fcman670.00
      08-21-2023, 08:13 PM   #77
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
this will rile some of you up ...don't kill the messanger :flamesuit

https://www.topspeed.com/why-electri...-powered-cars/

as someone who is lucky enough to have multiple vehicles currently and many fun cars throughout my years, I will say my Model 3 Performance has been the best daily driver I have ever owned and has ruined my perecption of what a car is supposed to do when you hit the gas pedal...the instant acceleration never gets old and I don't miss putting $75 in gas every week either.
unless you live where i live (yes 1st world country) and there are no civilization (and chargers) for hundreds of miles and the power goes out at random (and the power company doesn't know why - allegedly)

what more if you live in a developing nation. someone's kid's Filipino minecraft tutor living in Phillipines' capital has power outages at least thrice a day.

but yes I'd like one of those please! when i can spare cash to afford one! it's (the Model 3 Performance - had to resist typing M3P) on my bucket list ... at the moment i can't fit my 3 teens, their hockey gear and their 2 dogs in one
Appreciate 0