M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Contemplating getting my car wrapped

01-31-2024, 07:15 PM   #1
dreamybeamer
Rep
Drives: 2020 840i Gran Coupe

Contemplating getting my car wrapped

As the title states, thinking of doing a matte black or grey wrap on my car. I know there have been tons of posts on here about wraps and some examples but to anyone who has wrapped their car, I’m curious to know how you picked a shop to do it?

More specifically, I’m super nervous about them taking the car apart(headlights, tail lights, and I’ve even seen some shops remove the front bumper) and want to make sure that it’s somebody that knows what they’re doing but have no idea how to even gauge this. If anyone has any tips on how to vet a wrap shop or any recommendations in Dallas that would be much appreciated!

In addition, does wrapping void the warranty given the fact that they are taking the car apart? I have a year of BMW’s warranty left and an additional year of CPO warranty
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 08:48 PM   #2
Dr Thrillride
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8cs

Garage List
There’s not many that wrap for colour change. A lot of protective wrap, but same thing in the end. Tenac wrapped his red F93 with a matte. I wrapped the entirity of my metallic black F92 in a clear for protection. I can’t recall many others that have done a colour change.

I must say, once you take bumpers off yourself, you’ll see how easy it is. I’ve removed both the front and rear bumpers from my car and it’s really no big deal. Just wouldn’t want a noob doing it.

I chose my shop by the kind of cars being wrapped after a few visits. Yes I trolled them if that’s the expression. I was encouraged to take a look at their paint prep work and the effort they put in. The shop I use have mainly exotics and higher end SUVs. They are expensive but compared to the morons the dealer used for the bumper and hood, well worth it. That junk came off the car almost immediately. Don’t take it to a shop that is right in the middle of new car lot city. I’m generalizing but makes sense to me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
snowbimmer5308.00
M8Bimmer1283.00
      02-01-2024, 09:56 AM   #3
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

I'll add to what has already been said. No warranty issues they would have to prove what was done ruined what broke.... You don't want to cheap out here and want to go with the best shop you can find. The team that did mine has a shop in Dallas SupremeWraps I'd stop by and talk it over with them. They will go over it with you and like many shops have 1000's of colors. It would be smart to wrap your inner door area since you have a white ride it will stick out. That is probably the hardest thing for them to do and will add some to the cost. Also keep in mind COLOR change wrap is not a form of protection its much much more thinner and does not hold properties like PPF does. Rocks go through easily. I'd recommend either PPF on top or below the color change full front.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 02:34 PM   #4
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G16 840i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
I'll add to what has already been said. No warranty issues they would have to prove what was done ruined what broke.... You don't want to cheap out here and want to go with the best shop you can find. The team that did mine has a shop in Dallas SupremeWraps I'd stop by and talk it over with them. They will go over it with you and like many shops have 1000's of colors. It would be smart to wrap your inner door area since you have a white ride it will stick out. That is probably the hardest thing for them to do and will add some to the cost. Also keep in mind COLOR change wrap is not a form of protection its much much more thinner and does not hold properties like PPF does. Rocks go through easily. I'd recommend either PPF on top or below the color change full front.
Agree with this, but neither is PPF - I’ve got a few stone chips that show even through the PPF, but clearly would have been much worse if it wasn’t for the film. No road rash at all though, which is the main thing it’ll protect against and maintain the quality of the finish.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 02:35 PM   #5
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer5to3 View Post
Agree with this, but neither is PPF - I’ve got a few stone chips that show even through the PPF, but clearly would have been much worse if it wasn’t for the film. No road rash at all though, which is the main thing it’ll protect against and maintain the quality of the finish.
Dang I've only had one that ripped the PPF but they replaced it for free under warranty. What brand PPF you rolling with?
2015 M235 Manual
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 02:40 PM   #6
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Dang I've only had one that ripped the PPF but they replaced it for free under warranty. What brand PPF you rolling with?
None of them have ripped the PPF, but the stone has been large enough / hit it at the right angle to make an indent to the paint (I’ll try and find a photo, as I was even more unlucky for it to deflect back off the PPF, hit my parking sensor, and had the pleasure of having to pay £230 for a new one!).

Xpel on the bumper, bonnet, and front wings.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 02:42 PM   #7
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Tenac
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 02:51 PM   #8
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep

Did that actually go through? Like to paint or did it just scuff the clear coat?
2015 M235 Manual
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 02:53 PM   #9
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Did that actually go through? Like to paint or did it just scuff the clear coat?
Yep - it’s dented into the bumper itself slightly, despite the PPF. Must have been one fast moving sharp rock! You have to be right up close to see it though, and would have likely been awful if it wasn’t for the PPF
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 03:24 PM   #10
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer5to3 View Post
Yep - it’s dented into the bumper itself slightly, despite the PPF. Must have been one fast moving sharp rock! You have to be right up close to see it though, and would have likely been awful if it wasn’t for the PPF
DANG!!! yeah I mean PPF can't stop everything but when I see a car without it and say a dark blue around here stones are bad....
2015 M235 Manual
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 11:13 AM   #11
Ducks91
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW M8 Competition

I have a white M8 and did a full stealth satin ppf. I wanted both the protection of PPF as well as a different color. No issues and as people have stated get it done from a good shop, lots of places cut corners or use cheaper material.
Appreciate 0