M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion M8 Gran Coupe Individual Paint Order Promotion Limited offering - US Market

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-12-2020, 07:13 AM   #45
Lorde
Ya ya ya, I am Lorde, ya ya!
Lorde's Avatar
No_Country
211
Rep
2,753
Posts

Drives: E90 M3, 2015 SQ5
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Snig

iTrader: (10)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonOne View Post
Man, really want to order one with Sparkling Graphite.
Loved that color on my E90 M3! Nice graphite paint with purple undertones that popped in daylight.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 10:50 AM   #46
LakeSurfer
Private First Class
United_States
139
Rep
182
Posts

Drives: E93 M3, Nissan, Jeep, Mitsubis
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

That extra $5,000 would really hurt when you're already spending $150,000 plus?

I could understand the "deal" if it was filtered to the lower models but..... some of you are sold now to save $5k?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 11:04 AM   #47
Chronumn
BMW Client Advisor
Chronumn's Avatar
45
Rep
215
Posts

Drives: M2C
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: BMW of Ft Lauderdale

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
We just ordered ours in Chalk at my dealership

https://visualizer.bmw-individual.co...ne=imv&cache=0
__________________

Instagram: Chirard
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 03:44 PM   #48
falb
M6GC
United_States
8
Rep
17
Posts

Drives: RIP e60 M5, e39 M5, e39 540-6
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (0)

Would have been helpful before ordering. Interesting that they still dont have a frozen silver metallic like they had on the M6GC. Mine just entered production, 11 weeks after order entry.
__________________
2014 M6 GC Comp -M8GC on order
#25 Algarve Pro Oreca LMP2 in ELMS
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 06:31 PM   #49
chador
New Member
7
Rep
13
Posts

Drives: BMW M6 Grand Coupe 2017
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
I would be so pissed if I bought an M8 anytime before this... BMW really screwing over the first orders of the M8 huh lol- Well Im gonna go order a Rossa Corsa- maybe San Marino Blue
Well my Dravitt Gray M8 GC is sitting at the port in Germany right now, so I do feel like I missed out a bit. I did look at these colors before and I decided against ordering one of these colors not so much because of the extra cost per se, but I wasn't finding a color I liked so much that was substantially different enough from the existing color palette to justify that cost. Had I wanted a more exotic color such as reds, or greens, etc, then yes, I would be pissed about missing out. But I wanted either a dark grey or a blue - something more typical. There are some nice dark blues, but all the ones I liked were close enough to Marina Bay Blue, I figured it wasn't worth it. I also like some of these individual dark grays, but again, they aren't different enough from Brand Hatch gray to make me pay the premium.

Ultimately, I think certain colors come and go for certain car generations. My previous car was a Singapore Gray M6 coupe, and I thought that color really worked well with that body style and time. Its still my favorite color, but I didnt want to order it for this current car because I think that color was great, but its time has passed. I think Dravitt grey is a great color that is going to be associated with the M8, so I am happy with that choice.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 01:51 PM   #50
lonestar22
Ground Clearance?
lonestar22's Avatar
United_States
92
Rep
1,459
Posts

Drives: 535i
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: DFW

iTrader: (-1)

Sparkling Graphite would be my choice. I love that color.
__________________

E90 330i - E90 335i - E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 01:53 PM   #51
lonestar22
Ground Clearance?
lonestar22's Avatar
United_States
92
Rep
1,459
Posts

Drives: 535i
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: DFW

iTrader: (-1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
Interesting, if I were looking at a GC I'd take them up on this n/c offer. What exactly do they mean by double coat? Double base and double clear? I have noticed the paint is a bit thin and can easily chip.

^bump
Anyone know the answer?
It means double stage. A base and a clear, it only applies to older paint colors that had a single stage version and then had a base and clear version.
__________________

E90 330i - E90 335i - E92 335i
Appreciate 1
RJC-1123.00

      02-13-2020, 02:22 PM   #52
RJC-1
First Lieutenant
RJC-1's Avatar
123
Rep
315
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW M850
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: SE US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar22 View Post
It means double stage. A base and a clear, it only applies to older paint colors that had a single stage version and then had a base and clear version.
Thanks, I've noticed the paint on my 850 chips easily and is quite thin. If I had the option for double coats I'd have done it.
__________________
2019 M850i xDrive Coupe 06/19 Production
Mineral White/Black, HP Cooling/Tire/M-Technology Pkg/Extended Shadow/Etc., Anthracite Headliner, Carbon Roof, DAx2, Display Key, Various Accs.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 08:26 PM   #53
Who's on first
Brigadier General
Who's on first's Avatar
United_States
2273
Rep
3,729
Posts

Drives: A10-C
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: I%E2%80%99m Right Here.

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frosty2k View Post
As an M2C owner with no option to get any individual paint, paid or otherwise, I would also like to fart in the general direction of anyone who gets this freebie.

Gluckschmerz.
There is a way... it's been done, by only 1 person I think so far.

Cost was an additional $20,000.... something along those lines.


Just pony up the cash.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 08:05 PM   #54
bloozemanAZ
First Lieutenant
191
Rep
379
Posts

Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Arizona

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
Thanks, I've noticed the paint on my 850 chips easily and is quite thin. If I had the option for double coats I'd have done it.
PPF is your friend in this arena. Had the front end of the out going Lexus done with it in 2006 when I first got it and it kept the car pretty much pristine from rock chips. Pretty much as back then they only covered the hood about a quarter of the way and so had a few right past that. Also had a few right at the front of the roof line.

So for the M850i I had the entire front-end done (including headlights), mirrors, rockers, door edges, door handles and the carbon fiber roof. Took a closer look today and the PPF on the front-end appears to have saved the car from any damage due to my asinine parking faux pas on Thursday.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 10:56 AM   #55
SpenceRx
Lieutenant
SpenceRx's Avatar
Canada
213
Rep
421
Posts

Drives: BMW 330i EBII
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: YVR

iTrader: (0)

Great to see so many factory color options. I hope to see some unique GCs out there
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 01:52 PM   #56
cactusjack
Private
67
Rep
87
Posts

Drives: F82
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
It only applies to GC which have only started to arrive. I suppose if you configured an early build you would be unhappy.
yep- feel bad for those that wanted individual and couldnt get it- feel even worse for those that forked over 5k+ for their colors early on!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 08:47 PM   #57
bloozemanAZ
First Lieutenant
191
Rep
379
Posts

Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Arizona

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSurfer View Post
That extra $5,000 would really hurt when you're already spending $150,000 plus?

I could understand the "deal" if it was filtered to the lower models but..... some of you are sold now to save $5k?
Can't speak for everyone but one option on the table for my 2020 M850i included Verde Ermes as a custom Individual exterior for $5K. Besides the fact that I'd have to give up my #1 interior choice of Fiona Red/Black for either Cognac or Tartufo/Black the fact that it was just an additional $5K of total depreciation the second I took delivery made me walk away from it.

That was on a $127K car and if given the option for free I would have done it. So I understand the interest from anyone in the M8 GC market to take advantage of the offer. We all work hard for our money and the simple rule to gaining wealth is "live below your means" or at least not wasting a dollar that can be spent elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 07:35 AM   #58
LakeSurfer
Private First Class
United_States
139
Rep
182
Posts

Drives: E93 M3, Nissan, Jeep, Mitsubis
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSurfer View Post
That extra $5,000 would really hurt when you're already spending $150,000 plus?

I could understand the "deal" if it was filtered to the lower models but..... some of you are sold now to save $5k?
Can't speak for everyone but one option on the table for my 2020 M850i included Verde Ermes as a custom Individual exterior for $5K. Besides the fact that I'd have to give up my #1 interior choice of Fiona Red/Black for either Cognac or Tartufo/Black the fact that it was just an additional $5K of total depreciation the second I took delivery made me walk away from it.

That was on a $127K car and if given the option for free I would have done it. So I understand the interest from anyone in the M8 GC market to take advantage of the offer. We all work hard for our money and the simple rule to gaining wealth is "live below your means" or at least not wasting a dollar that can be spent elsewhere.
Ok, I get it if you're buying a $50k car that makes sense to me and yeah no matter the wealth or income people generally wouldn't throw money out like that, however, if you cared that much about such a small amount of money (in comparison to the price of the car) then why would you even consider buying a new car?

New cars depreciation rate for the first month alone can be up to 10% and buy the end of the 1st year you can add another 10-20% to that. For a luxury car it's probably on the higher side of things. So worst case you lost $40k in 1 year of ownership. I just can't see someone that frugal would buy/order a new car. I think it's out of spite or something else.

Another note, 99% of cars are terrible investments so why would you even look at it any different? If you buy a car, any car, you lost money.

It's a silly marketing gimmick. If you don't think that BMW is squeezing that individual paint out of you somehow than you're crazy. They'll make up for it by marking up the car in other areas. It's pretty easy to hide $5k in a 6 figure Coupe. Also to generalize, people are not that bright for the most part. If you sold a gallon of milk for $20 and told everyone that this is on sale from $50, people will still buy it.

At the end of the day for probably most if not all cases, if someone has the means to purchase an individual paint 850, regardless if it's $5k or not they're going to fulfill that purchase.

This is just a marketing gimmick to give more notice to a car that is sort in the shadows.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 11:36 AM   #59
Resjudicata
Second Lieutenant
United_States
71
Rep
206
Posts

Drives: M850i convertible
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Dulles Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSurfer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSurfer View Post
That extra $5,000 would really hurt when you're already spending $150,000 plus?

I could understand the "deal" if it was filtered to the lower models but..... some of you are sold now to save $5k?
Can't speak for everyone but one option on the table for my 2020 M850i included Verde Ermes as a custom Individual exterior for $5K. Besides the fact that I'd have to give up my #1 interior choice of Fiona Red/Black for either Cognac or Tartufo/Black the fact that it was just an additional $5K of total depreciation the second I took delivery made me walk away from it.

That was on a $127K car and if given the option for free I would have done it. So I understand the interest from anyone in the M8 GC market to take advantage of the offer. We all work hard for our money and the simple rule to gaining wealth is "live below your means" or at least not wasting a dollar that can be spent elsewhere.
Ok, I get it if you're buying a $50k car that makes sense to me and yeah no matter the wealth or income people generally wouldn't throw money out like that, however, if you cared that much about such a small amount of money (in comparison to the price of the car) then why would you even consider buying a new car?

New cars depreciation rate for the first month alone can be up to 10% and buy the end of the 1st year you can add another 10-20% to that. For a luxury car it's probably on the higher side of things. So worst case you lost $40k in 1 year of ownership. I just can't see someone that frugal would buy/order a new car. I think it's out of spite or something else.

Another note, 99% of cars are terrible investments so why would you even look at it any different? If you buy a car, any car, you lost money.

It's a silly marketing gimmick. If you don't think that BMW is squeezing that individual paint out of you somehow than you're crazy. They'll make up for it by marking up the car in other areas. It's pretty easy to hide $5k in a 6 figure Coupe. Also to generalize, people are not that bright for the most part. If you sold a gallon of milk for $20 and told everyone that this is on sale from $50, people will still buy it.

At the end of the day for probably most if not all cases, if someone has the means to purchase an individual paint 850, regardless if it's $5k or not they're going to fulfill that purchase.

This is just a marketing gimmick to give more notice to a car that is sort in the shadows.
the m8 gran coup is probably a hard seller and they are just trying to pump early numbers. so I partially agree you that it's marketing but it's not a gimmick. A gimmick implies a joke or toy like the prize in a happy meal. this is more like a discount or sale like Black Friday or President day sales with discounts.

I'd imagine most people who wants 4 doors have kids. those with kids are going to have less money to spend than those without kids. they are also less likely to go for higher engines vs lower, assuming all else the same. so something like the m40 or m850 gran coup might sell better than a true m8 4 door.
also those looking for power, might go full m8 competition. so my random guess is the m8 gran coup 4 door will have a very small market demand, especially if it's priced along with the Porshe Panamera.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 11:50 AM   #60
Resjudicata
Second Lieutenant
United_States
71
Rep
206
Posts

Drives: M850i convertible
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Dulles Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSurfer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSurfer View Post
That extra $5,000 would really hurt when you're already spending $150,000 plus?

I could understand the "deal" if it was filtered to the lower models but..... some of you are sold now to save $5k?
Can't speak for everyone but one option on the table for my 2020 M850i included Verde Ermes as a custom Individual exterior for $5K. Besides the fact that I'd have to give up my #1 interior choice of Fiona Red/Black for either Cognac or Tartufo/Black the fact that it was just an additional $5K of total depreciation the second I took delivery made me walk away from it.

That was on a $127K car and if given the option for free I would have done it. So I understand the interest from anyone in the M8 GC market to take advantage of the offer. We all work hard for our money and the simple rule to gaining wealth is "live below your means" or at least not wasting a dollar that can be spent elsewhere.
Ok, I get it if you're buying a $50k car that makes sense to me and yeah no matter the wealth or income people generally wouldn't throw money out like that, however, if you cared that much about such a small amount of money (in comparison to the price of the car) then why would you even consider buying a new car?

New cars depreciation rate for the first month alone can be up to 10% and buy the end of the 1st year you can add another 10-20% to that. For a luxury car it's probably on the higher side of things. So worst case you lost $40k in 1 year of ownership. I just can't see someone that frugal would buy/order a new car. I think it's out of spite or something else.

Another note, 99% of cars are terrible investments so why would you even look at it any different? If you buy a car, any car, you lost money.

It's a silly marketing gimmick. If you don't think that BMW is squeezing that individual paint out of you somehow than you're crazy. They'll make up for it by marking up the car in other areas. It's pretty easy to hide $5k in a 6 figure Coupe. Also to generalize, people are not that bright for the most part. If you sold a gallon of milk for $20 and told everyone that this is on sale from $50, people will still buy it.

At the end of the day for probably most if not all cases, if someone has the means to purchase an individual paint 850, regardless if it's $5k or not they're going to fulfill that purchase.

This is just a marketing gimmick to give more notice to a car that is sort in the shadows.
also in response to your 5k, not everyone that buys 6 figure cars throws money around. 5k is a lot, and I didn't want the carbon fiber or B&W stereo because that was 5k over my price. while I'm glad I got them, I was able to negotiate a better price.

For some of us entrepreneurs that built a business and worked hard to get that $140k, we don't want to throw it away. Spending money on unnecessary stuff is a quick way to lose money. options are a guarantee 0, unless you lease which is a different topic.

I bought a 2019 m850i convertible (msrp with fees 135k+) fully equipped for a bit over $110k delivered to me. without options it probably would have been $100k. if I added 5k paint, it would have been $115k. In all 3 cases, now that the 2020 models are out, I bet my car is probably $90k. unless you find the right private buyer, all of the cars are probably $90k.
I'd rather lose $10k, vs $20 or $25k and especially not $45k. The key to avoiding depreciation on a brand new car is to get 0 options and $0 addons; and also negotiate a price well under msrp at least 20%. it's not always possible but it's the goal.

still depreciation, but less. also sometimes if you wants something new, there is no alternative. like a 2019 m850i there was nothing equal for the price. in 3 years, you can buy an off lease one but you have to wait until 2022 or 2023.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 02:40 PM   #61
RJC-1
First Lieutenant
RJC-1's Avatar
123
Rep
315
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW M850
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: SE US

iTrader: (0)

Aside from being seen at the dealership, I've only noticed one other GC on the road since they came out, and we live in an area with many high end vehicles driving around. If GC sales end up being poor too, that will certainly be the end of all the 8's. I'd like to see their sales numbers thus far, anyone have them?
__________________
2019 M850i xDrive Coupe 06/19 Production
Mineral White/Black, HP Cooling/Tire/M-Technology Pkg/Extended Shadow/Etc., Anthracite Headliner, Carbon Roof, DAx2, Display Key, Various Accs.
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2020, 07:19 PM   #62
ItsGary
Colonel
ItsGary's Avatar
Canada
1303
Rep
2,185
Posts

Drives: 2009 E90 M3
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (0)

Who's gonna be the legend and order one in Jerez Black Metallic?
__________________
Instagram: @Namsaur
'09 ///M3 Sedan - Jerez Black/Fox Red Ext.
'09 335i Coupe - Alpine White/Black - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 08:43 PM   #63
bloozemanAZ
First Lieutenant
191
Rep
379
Posts

Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Arizona

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSurfer View Post
Ok, I get it if you're buying a $50k car that makes sense to me and yeah no matter the wealth or income people generally wouldn't throw money out like that, however, if you cared that much about such a small amount of money (in comparison to the price of the car) then why would you even consider buying a new car?

New cars depreciation rate for the first month alone can be up to 10% and buy the end of the 1st year you can add another 10-20% to that. For a luxury car it's probably on the higher side of things. So worst case you lost $40k in 1 year of ownership. I just can't see someone that frugal would buy/order a new car. I think it's out of spite or something else.

Another note, 99% of cars are terrible investments so why would you even look at it any different? If you buy a car, any car, you lost money.

It's a silly marketing gimmick. If you don't think that BMW is squeezing that individual paint out of you somehow than you're crazy. They'll make up for it by marking up the car in other areas. It's pretty easy to hide $5k in a 6 figure Coupe. Also to generalize, people are not that bright for the most part. If you sold a gallon of milk for $20 and told everyone that this is on sale from $50, people will still buy it.

At the end of the day for probably most if not all cases, if someone has the means to purchase an individual paint 850, regardless if it's $5k or not they're going to fulfill that purchase.

This is just a marketing gimmick to give more notice to a car that is sort in the shadows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
also in response to your 5k, not everyone that buys 6 figure cars throws money around. 5k is a lot, and I didn't want the carbon fiber or B&W stereo because that was 5k over my price. while I'm glad I got them, I was able to negotiate a better price.

For some of us entrepreneurs that built a business and worked hard to get that $140k, we don't want to throw it away. Spending money on unnecessary stuff is a quick way to lose money. options are a guarantee 0, unless you lease which is a different topic.

I bought a 2019 m850i convertible (msrp with fees 135k+) fully equipped for a bit over $110k delivered to me. without options it probably would have been $100k. if I added 5k paint, it would have been $115k. In all 3 cases, now that the 2020 models are out, I bet my car is probably $90k. unless you find the right private buyer, all of the cars are probably $90k.
I'd rather lose $10k, vs $20 or $25k and especially not $45k. The key to avoiding depreciation on a brand new car is to get 0 options and $0 addons; and also negotiate a price well under msrp at least 20%. it's not always possible but it's the goal.

still depreciation, but less. also sometimes if you wants something new, there is no alternative. like a 2019 m850i there was nothing equal for the price. in 3 years, you can buy an off lease one but you have to wait until 2022 or 2023.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
the m8 gran coup is probably a hard seller and they are just trying to pump early numbers. so I partially agree you that it's marketing but it's not a gimmick. A gimmick implies a joke or toy like the prize in a happy meal. this is more like a discount or sale like Black Friday or President day sales with discounts.

I'd imagine most people who wants 4 doors have kids. those with kids are going to have less money to spend than those without kids. they are also less likely to go for higher engines vs lower, assuming all else the same. so something like the m40 or m850 gran coup might sell better than a true m8 4 door.
also those looking for power, might go full m8 competition. so my random guess is the m8 gran coup 4 door will have a very small market demand, especially if it's priced along with the Porshe Panamera.
Agree with @Resjudicata on all points. In my case to your point regarding that you "... can't see someone that frugal would buy/order a new car. I think it's out of spite or something else." Count me in on the frugal description as that was a lesson taught to me by my parents. Frugality aside everyone has wants and needs. The difference being the former is often in no consideration a wise way to spend money.

That said I went eyes wide open into buying the M850i and even more so was adamant to order one to my exact specifications. After comparing the stock H&K vs B&W my absolute requirement was for the latter (I'm an ex musician and an audiophile). I was initially going to forgo the carbon roof just to ensure the B&W audio. However, I did want the carbon fiber roof so weighing its $3K vs the $5K Verde Ermes paint option it was a no brainer decision given the carbon fiber roof has a true function vs pure aesthetics. Truth be told I was not going to order the $650 glass controls but my wife fell in love with them during a couple of test drives so using my $1K gating criteria for wants it too became a no brainer decision as well.

Finally, to the point on frugality it along with a career that affords me to illogically spend money on a want when I so desire to do so is why I have the M850i in the first place. I could have easily ordered a M8C but given my needs are for a daily driver that can perform when I want to vs driving on the track it fit the bill perfectly. On the other hand if I wanted to hit the track a M8C would be in the garage no questions asked. Even in that case unless BMW was offering to waive the $5K on custom individual colors I still would have went with Almandin Brown as I love it and tried to talk my wife into it for her X5.

Last edited by bloozemanAZ; 02-18-2020 at 09:02 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2020, 09:30 PM   #64
LakeSurfer
Private First Class
United_States
139
Rep
182
Posts

Drives: E93 M3, Nissan, Jeep, Mitsubis
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSurfer View Post
Ok, I get it if you're buying a $50k car that makes sense to me and yeah no matter the wealth or income people generally wouldn't throw money out like that, however, if you cared that much about such a small amount of money (in comparison to the price of the car) then why would you even consider buying a new car?

New cars depreciation rate for the first month alone can be up to 10% and buy the end of the 1st year you can add another 10-20% to that. For a luxury car it's probably on the higher side of things. So worst case you lost $40k in 1 year of ownership. I just can't see someone that frugal would buy/order a new car. I think it's out of spite or something else.

Another note, 99% of cars are terrible investments so why would you even look at it any different? If you buy a car, any car, you lost money.

It's a silly marketing gimmick. If you don't think that BMW is squeezing that individual paint out of you somehow than you're crazy. They'll make up for it by marking up the car in other areas. It's pretty easy to hide $5k in a 6 figure Coupe. Also to generalize, people are not that bright for the most part. If you sold a gallon of milk for $20 and told everyone that this is on sale from $50, people will still buy it.

At the end of the day for probably most if not all cases, if someone has the means to purchase an individual paint 850, regardless if it's $5k or not they're going to fulfill that purchase.

This is just a marketing gimmick to give more notice to a car that is sort in the shadows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
also in response to your 5k, not everyone that buys 6 figure cars throws money around. 5k is a lot, and I didn't want the carbon fiber or B&W stereo because that was 5k over my price. while I'm glad I got them, I was able to negotiate a better price.

For some of us entrepreneurs that built a business and worked hard to get that $140k, we don't want to throw it away. Spending money on unnecessary stuff is a quick way to lose money. options are a guarantee 0, unless you lease which is a different topic.

I bought a 2019 m850i convertible (msrp with fees 135k+) fully equipped for a bit over $110k delivered to me. without options it probably would have been $100k. if I added 5k paint, it would have been $115k. In all 3 cases, now that the 2020 models are out, I bet my car is probably $90k. unless you find the right private buyer, all of the cars are probably $90k.
I'd rather lose $10k, vs $20 or $25k and especially not $45k. The key to avoiding depreciation on a brand new car is to get 0 options and $0 addons; and also negotiate a price well under msrp at least 20%. it's not always possible but it's the goal.

still depreciation, but less. also sometimes if you wants something new, there is no alternative. like a 2019 m850i there was nothing equal for the price. in 3 years, you can buy an off lease one but you have to wait until 2022 or 2023.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
the m8 gran coup is probably a hard seller and they are just trying to pump early numbers. so I partially agree you that it's marketing but it's not a gimmick. A gimmick implies a joke or toy like the prize in a happy meal. this is more like a discount or sale like Black Friday or President day sales with discounts.

I'd imagine most people who wants 4 doors have kids. those with kids are going to have less money to spend than those without kids. they are also less likely to go for higher engines vs lower, assuming all else the same. so something like the m40 or m850 gran coup might sell better than a true m8 4 door.
also those looking for power, might go full m8 competition. so my random guess is the m8 gran coup 4 door will have a very small market demand, especially if it's priced along with the Porshe Panamera.
Agree with @Resjudicata on all points. In my case to your point regarding that you "... can't see someone that frugal would buy/order a new car. I think it's out of spite or something else." Count me in on the frugal description as that was a lesson taught to me by my parents. Frugality aside everyone has wants and needs. The difference being the former is often in no consideration a wise way to spend money.

That said I went eyes wide open into buying the M850i and even more so was adamant to order one to my exact specifications. After comparing the stock H&K vs B&W my absolute requirement was for the latter (I'm an ex musician and an audiophile). I was initially going to forgo the carbon roof just to ensure the B&W audio. However, I did want the carbon fiber roof so weighing its $3K vs the $5K Verde Ermes paint option it was a no brainer decision given the carbon fiber roof has a true function vs pure aesthetics. Truth be told I was not going to order the $650 glass controls but my wife fell in love with that during a couple of test drives so using my $1K gating criteria for wants it too became a no brainer decision as well.

Finally, to the point on frugality it along with a career that affords me to illogically spend money on a want when I so desire to do so is why I have the M850i in the first place. I could have easily ordered a M8C but given my needs are for a daily driver that can perform when I want to vs driving on the track it fit the bill perfectly. On the other hand if I wanted to hit the track a M8C would be in the garage no questions asked. Even in that case unless BMW was offering to waive the $5K on custom individual colors I still would have went with Almandin Brown as I love it and tried to talk my wife into it for her X5.
Perhaps our definitions of frugal are vastly different.
I'm pretty relaxed with my earnings and after investments, bills and so on are taken care of it's a free for all with what's left. Mainly because we have worked our way up the ladder in our careers to do what we want when we want (within reason).

Again, a new car will depreciate instantly when the keys are handed over to you. You lost more than $5k in the 20 minutes it took you to spend the $150k. New cars can expect 20-30% depreciation in the first year, luxury cars are on the higher side. A frugal person would buy an off lease, low milage, 1 year old vehicle where the big chunk of depreciation has already taken place.
I'm certainly not saying that you should voluntarily give them 5 grand but it sounds ridiculous when someone says, I was gonna buy a $150,000 car but the paint cost $5k so I'm just gonna get a Camry instead because that $5k is a real big financial hit.
I really don't think there are to many "cheap" people out there driving brand new M8's or 850's.

We like deals not because of the numbers but because it's a "deal". It's a good feeling. I recently ordered a new table saw that was almost $2,000 but what sold me was the free shipping. Shipping would've been maybe $150. I can afford the $150 shipping but I wouldn't feel good about it, I wouldn't feel like I got a deal. It has nothing to do with frugality and everything to do with emotions and feelings.

Just my opinions though.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 11:21 PM   #65
bloozemanAZ
First Lieutenant
191
Rep
379
Posts

Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Arizona

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSurfer View Post
Perhaps our definitions of frugal are vastly different.
I'm pretty relaxed with my earnings and after investments, bills and so on are taken care of it's a free for all with what's left. Mainly because we have worked our way up the ladder in our careers to do what we want when we want (within reason).

Again, a new car will depreciate instantly when the keys are handed over to you. You lost more than $5k in the 20 minutes it took you to spend the $150k. New cars can expect 20-30% depreciation in the first year, luxury cars are on the higher side. A frugal person would buy an off lease, low milage, 1 year old vehicle where the big chunk of depreciation has already taken place.
I'm certainly not saying that you should voluntarily give them 5 grand but it sounds ridiculous when someone says, I was gonna buy a $150,000 car but the paint cost $5k so I'm just gonna get a Camry instead because that $5k is a real big financial hit.
I really don't think there are to many "cheap" people out there driving brand new M8's or 850's.

We like deals not because of the numbers but because it's a "deal". It's a good feeling. I recently ordered a new table saw that was almost $2,000 but what sold me was the free shipping. Shipping would've been maybe $150. I can afford the $150 shipping but I wouldn't feel good about it, I wouldn't feel like I got a deal. It has nothing to do with frugality and everything to do with emotions and feelings.

Just my opinions though.
Totally agree on the "free for all" aspect on discretionary spending once investments (always come first), bills, etc. are paid for. Also, I agree on buying a 1 to 2 year old car after the initial depreciation has taken its toll as have done that several times over the past couple of decades. In the case of the M850i I already knew that there was not a 2019 in existence that met my specs so waiting for an off lease CPO return was not an option nor was driving an aggressive deal for anything on the lot.

That said I am not equating the fact that I or anyone else in the 8-series market is going to forgo the Individual $5K option and fall back and punt with a Camry. That is completely asinine as all of us that chose against the $5K custom Individual exterior still have our 8-series in the garage and zero loss of sleep in the process.

If you absolutely want to know where that $5K of savings is going it is to add a GENUS GNS1.2 to my collection. My watch broker has been working the deal since last November and we are now settling on the price given there are only 8 in existence and it has been somewhat of a bidding war. If I am successful I'll take ownership in early March and to add perspective it will be the equivalent cost of two M8Cs and then some. I will loose no sleep over it if the deal comes to fruition as there is no depreciation involved but rather appreciation of the asset. That said I agree we all like "deals" but everyone's construct is different as to what that means and our definitions of frugal may indeed be vastly different.

Last edited by bloozemanAZ; 02-18-2020 at 11:44 PM..
Appreciate 1
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
#490, #f93, #individual, #m8, #m8gc, #specialorder

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:14 PM.




m8
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST