M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Interior rattle m850i gran coupe

12-17-2023, 12:12 PM   #1
blueeyesshined13
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 320xi

Interior rattle m850i gran coupe

Hello! So I have posted this in several other places on the internet with no luck and wanted to give it a shot here lol. I have had my m850i gran coupe now for a few months and this rattle that I hear over bumps is driving me insane. I can turn the music up and not hear it but when I have passengers and no music is on, it is the noise over bumps or uneven road is very prevalent and embarrassing for a car of this price range. I had the dealer look at it twice now and they want to take apart the whole dashboard to see if they can find the source but it makes me nervous to have them dismantle things and then put it back together only to have more rattles or creaks. I will post two links here if the noise. It is def a lot louder in person. I would say I hear this noise 85-90 percent of the bumps I go over. I feel like I’ve spent hours poking around the car trying to figure out the source myself 🫠.
https://youtube.com/shorts/wkj0vstVJ...TVFBVNYIc6Twhe
https://youtube.com/shorts/4O56B9bz9...z4VZPz4jzbofGB
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 12:59 PM   #2
sullic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 911 Turbo, 2024 BMW M8 GC

I've had small noises in cars that I learned to live with but I'd have them take apart the car. Once you hear the noise, it's going to nag at you forever.

2 years ago, I had my entire dash pulled to swap out 3G for 5G support in my 911 (Most manufacturers used 3G and that was discontinued in the US, hence the forced upgrade or loss of support). Like you I was worried, but it was covered by Porsche and I trusted the dealership. I'm glad I did as many who waited lost out as Porsche stopped covering the cost. I'm happy to say that I had no issues and no rattles pop up.

If they muck it up, you can keep making them repair it again. I'd chose that over a rattle that bugged me.

2024 BMW M8 Gran Coupe Competition Black Sapphire Metallic
2018 Porsche 911.2 Turbo Guards Red
Appreciate 1
Seaford1147.50
      12-17-2023, 09:02 PM   #3
__AD__
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M850ix GC

There are a few rattles in my 850 that I’ve dealt with, mainly:

1) door panel rubbing at edge near latch. Put small felt tape between door card and metal

2) rear view mirror trim near headliner. Pull it away and push it back in.

3) button modules around I drive controller. Horse hair brush with 70% isopropyl alcohol to unstick any debris.

4) rattle inside driver door. Remove black plugs at bottom corner of door while open and shift lock linkage away from metal or add some felt/foam. Re insert plugs.

5) silver horizontal trim piece in front of cup holder and cup holder retention pieces. Horse hair brush with 70% isopropyl alcohol to clean crevices.

Most of mine seem to be from a spill that occurred before I owned the car in the I drive area (it’s a cpo). While you’re driving, try holding the center console down with your hand in various places to see if it stops the noise.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2023, 01:46 AM   #4
mjr24
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp GC, X7, AMG GT53

Quote:
Originally Posted by __AD__ View Post

1) door panel rubbing at edge near latch. Put small felt tape between door card and metal

3) button modules around I drive controller. Horse hair brush with 70% isopropyl alcohol to unstick any debris.

4) rattle inside driver door. Remove black plugs at bottom corner of door while open and shift lock linkage away from metal or add some felt/foam. Re insert plugs.

5) silver horizontal trim piece in front of cup holder and cup holder retention pieces. Horse hair brush with 70% isopropyl alcohol to clean crevices.

Most of mine seem to be from a spill that occurred before I owned the car in the I drive area (it’s a cpo). While you’re driving, try holding the center console down with your hand in various places to see if it stops the noise.
I think I also have number 4......where are these plugs at? Do you just pry them open or ? Are they at the corner towards the engine or towards the rear of the car?
2022 M8 Comp GC, 2021 AMG GT53, 2022 X5M Competition, 2021 X7 40i, 2019 M5, 2018 M550I, 2017 Audi Q7, 2014 M6 GC, 2013 Mercedes CLS550, 2011 750LI, 2008 M6 Cabrio, 2008 Porsche Cayenne S, 2004 Mercedes SL55 AMG, 2003 Mercedes SL500, 2000 Mercedes CL500, 1993 Lexus SC400, 1989 525i, 1985 318i
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2023, 06:08 AM   #5
__AD__
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr24 View Post
I think I also have number 4......where are these plugs at? Do you just pry them open or ? Are they at the corner towards the engine or towards the rear of the car?
At the bottom rear of the door. See circled part on the attached pic (not an 8 but same plugs).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2023, 02:45 PM   #6
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M850GC Tanzanite Blue Metallic

WOW!!! This is really loud.

Did the dealer check chocks/suspension?

No issues on my side, the ride is very quiet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyesshined13 View Post
Hello! So I have posted this in several other places on the internet with no luck and wanted to give it a shot here lol. I have had my m850i gran coupe now for a few months and this rattle that I hear over bumps is driving me insane. I can turn the music up and not hear it but when I have passengers and no music is on, it is the noise over bumps or uneven road is very prevalent and embarrassing for a car of this price range. I had the dealer look at it twice now and they want to take apart the whole dashboard to see if they can find the source but it makes me nervous to have them dismantle things and then put it back together only to have more rattles or creaks. I will post two links here if the noise. It is def a lot louder in person. I would say I hear this noise 85-90 percent of the bumps I go over. I feel like I’ve spent hours poking around the car trying to figure out the source myself 🫠.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2023, 03:44 PM   #7
Mgrae456
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW m850

Quote:

Thanks for your help I'm curious where #1 is. I have a rattle from that area
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2023, 04:48 PM   #8
__AD__
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgrae456 View Post
Thanks for your help I'm curious where #1 is. I have a rattle from that area
See attached with circled purple area. Put felt in between where the door panel meets the door. You can tell if it makes noise by pushing on that edge of the door panel in various directions.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 03:15 AM   #9
mjr24
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp GC, X7, AMG GT53

Quote:
At the bottom rear of the door. See circled part on the attached pic (not an 8 but same plugs).
Solid, thanks! There is just 1 plug, right?
2022 M8 Comp GC, 2021 AMG GT53, 2022 X5M Competition, 2021 X7 40i, 2019 M5, 2018 M550I, 2017 Audi Q7, 2014 M6 GC, 2013 Mercedes CLS550, 2011 750LI, 2008 M6 Cabrio, 2008 Porsche Cayenne S, 2004 Mercedes SL55 AMG, 2003 Mercedes SL500, 2000 Mercedes CL500, 1993 Lexus SC400, 1989 525i, 1985 318i
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 04:25 AM   #10
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
I would let the dealer sort it.

I have no idea if bmw dealers have this as standard - I had a similar issue on my 328GT and they used an extremely sensitive multi microphone piece of kit to help pinpoint the noise….i was convinced it was the right rear suspension…it was the sunroof!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 12:08 AM   #11
tomli
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: M850i Gran Coupe

Quote:

For #4, I can hear some rattling while driving and also when I knock on the door panel. Can you explain a bit more about the lock linkage not touching the metal? When I remove the plug, I only see some cables and a yellow buckle. Thx
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2024, 11:57 AM   #12
blueeyesshined13
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 320xi

So after two different dealerships and many visits to both trying to find out what the rattle was, I can finally say that the last trip yesterday was the final one! They actually found the rattle. It is like driving a new car. I’ve had this car for about 6 months now and have had this annoying rattle since day one and have spent countless hours trying to troubleshoot and research where it could be coming from. Both dealers initially thought it was the bowers speaker cover but after putting felt tape around there, sound was still present. The next area was the windshield cowl. I tested this myself too and it did seem to make a rattle sound when I touched around the area but after they put felt tape where the cowl meets the strut brace, I could still hear the rattle. I felt defeated and was almost going to give up. The next thing that both dealers wanted to do was to take apart the dashboard in order to search for the rattle and this was my last resort as I did not want them taking apart my car and potentially cause more damage. Two days ago my sunroof stopped working and I brought it in and had mentioned the rattle was still present and drove with my advisor and he could hear it and they did some tests and thought it was the speaker cover again but they had a test drive with the Forman and he found that it was actually shipping spacers that was causing the rattle!! I couldn’t believe bmw would sell me a car with shipping spacers still on it! The car was not new too so god knows how long those were on there. So that was my story lol. The car drives like a dream now! Silent and a lot more comfortable in comfort mode now. I no longer have to cringe going over bumps or uneven roads or be embarrassed when having other passengers ask me what that rattle noise is 😂
Appreciate 2
Tenac4538.50
M8Bimmer1272.50
      02-24-2024, 06:22 PM   #13
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:
So after two different dealerships and many visits to both trying to find out what the rattle was, I can finally say that the last trip yesterday was the final one! They actually found the rattle. It is like driving a new car. I’ve had this car for about 6 months now and have had this annoying rattle since day one and have spent countless hours trying to troubleshoot and research where it could be coming from. Both dealers initially thought it was the bowers speaker cover but after putting felt tape around there, sound was still present. The next area was the windshield cowl. I tested this myself too and it did seem to make a rattle sound when I touched around the area but after they put felt tape where the cowl meets the strut brace, I could still hear the rattle. I felt defeated and was almost going to give up. The next thing that both dealers wanted to do was to take apart the dashboard in order to search for the rattle and this was my last resort as I did not want them taking apart my car and potentially cause more damage. Two days ago my sunroof stopped working and I brought it in and had mentioned the rattle was still present and drove with my advisor and he could hear it and they did some tests and thought it was the speaker cover again but they had a test drive with the Forman and he found that it was actually shipping spacers that was causing the rattle!! I couldn’t believe bmw would sell me a car with shipping spacers still on it! The car was not new too so god knows how long those were on there. So that was my story lol. The car drives like a dream now! Silent and a lot more comfortable in comfort mode now. I no longer have to cringe going over bumps or uneven roads or be embarrassed when having other passengers ask me what that rattle noise is ��
That's insane, how many miles did you drive it with those still in place?

BTW, the area that caused many rattles in the 8's is the plastic grille right behind the mmi screen, I placed a small piece of perfectly cut black cardboard in between it and the dash and rattle is gone.

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 1
M8Bimmer1272.50
      02-25-2024, 04:52 AM   #14
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
So after two different dealerships and many visits to both trying to find out what the rattle was, I can finally say that the last trip yesterday was the final one! They actually found the rattle. It is like driving a new car. I’ve had this car for about 6 months now and have had this annoying rattle since day one and have spent countless hours trying to troubleshoot and research where it could be coming from. Both dealers initially thought it was the bowers speaker cover but after putting felt tape around there, sound was still present. The next area was the windshield cowl. I tested this myself too and it did seem to make a rattle sound when I touched around the area but after they put felt tape where the cowl meets the strut brace, I could still hear the rattle. I felt defeated and was almost going to give up. The next thing that both dealers wanted to do was to take apart the dashboard in order to search for the rattle and this was my last resort as I did not want them taking apart my car and potentially cause more damage. Two days ago my sunroof stopped working and I brought it in and had mentioned the rattle was still present and drove with my advisor and he could hear it and they did some tests and thought it was the speaker cover again but they had a test drive with the Forman and he found that it was actually shipping spacers that was causing the rattle!! I couldn’t believe bmw would sell me a car with shipping spacers still on it! The car was not new too so god knows how long those were on there. So that was my story lol. The car drives like a dream now! Silent and a lot more comfortable in comfort mode now. I no longer have to cringe going over bumps or uneven roads or be embarrassed when having other passengers ask me what that rattle noise is 😂
Er…see post 6 above!!

Glad it’s sorted.
Appreciate 0