M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Buying a used M850i on 20K miles, anything to look out for

02-21-2024, 08:40 AM   #1
J14RK D
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M850i

Buying a used M850i on 20K miles, anything to look out for

Hi All, I have today paid my deposit for a lovely looking M850i and after leaving BMW to go to a Jaguar i am keen to get back in one. I was wondering if there is anything i should look out for when viewing it this weekend?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 11:41 AM   #2
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Pics or it didn't happen...

Is it CPO? If not did you get a PPI?
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 12:49 PM   #3
Dr Thrillride
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8cs

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by J14RK D View Post
Hi All, I have today paid my deposit for a lovely looking M850i and after leaving BMW to go to a Jaguar i am keen to get back in one. I was wondering if there is anything i should look out for when viewing it this weekend?
Ditto to Tenac, but we get it if you don’t want anyone scooping you. Show us after you buy it. What year is it?

We don’t see a lot of problems with the 8 series. Others will talk about issues with the 5 series because it has pretty much the same engine, but there’s been no common problem across M850 owners.

There have been some issues with odd tire wear on the 850s. If the tires are brand new you may want to ask them.

Check out the hi temp water reservoir top right of engine. Some report it leaking but you wouldn’t be able to tell unless you take a light and peer underneath through the cracks. No-one on this forum has reported it here on their 850. Search my posts for RK Autowerkes reservoir.

There have been niggly things while people figure out iDrive but those issues don’t count.

Squeaky brakes can be fixed by changing out the pads. See Ben below.

Otherwise, if you hate the rectangular exhaust ports, there’s a custom mod to convert to 2x2 round ports, but a bit fiddly.

If the car has cerium coloured fascia in the rear, some people are re-painting.

Check out Ben r33_RGSport for a RaceChip GTS Black to make it rock and roll and other blingy stuff to make the beast your own.

Good luck and if you buy, please come back. Very good community of people here.

Last edited by Dr Thrillride; 02-21-2024 at 05:49 PM..
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00