M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board What are your nervous tics or habits you'd like to break?

04-13-2020, 01:24 PM   #1
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

What are your nervous tics or habits you'd like to break?

Another thread made me think of this.

What are your isms? What is something that you say or do that you'd like to break yourself from?

I have a tendency to say Um and So more than I would like to. Not an over usage, but I find myself saying them when it isn't needed.

Also as a nervous habit, I find myself whistling Deftones, Tool and System of a Down songs.

What are your nervous tics, habits or other things that you'd like to break yourself from?
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      04-13-2020, 01:36 PM   #2
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 330i xDrive

Garage List
I need to quit my nicotine addiction. Started with cigs, moved over to juul, and just kinda stayed there. Need to get rid of it somehow
Appreciate 3
King Rudi13152.00
xander_g965.50
      04-13-2020, 01:37 PM   #3
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Biting/picking at my fingernails. Hate it, can't help it. Would probably pay money to stop it.
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
Conissah1574.50
      04-13-2020, 01:40 PM   #4
Fast.F10
Extruding Elements
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M5 Comp

Garage List
2016 BMW M5 F10  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Pickle View Post
I need to quit my nicotine addiction. Started with cigs, moved over to juul, and just kinda stayed there. Need to get rid of it somehow
Get rid of Juul and get a proper vape device. One in which you can either use a tank or build your coils. Also going this route, you can buy any NIC levels from 0 to 18MG. Thus allowing you to slowly taper down.
2006 BMW M5
Appreciate 2
      04-13-2020, 01:41 PM   #5
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Biting/picking at my fingernails. Hate it, can't help it. Would probably pay money to stop it.
I pick at hangnails. Find myself scratching my thumb with my index finger a lot. I’ve been doing it for so long I don’t even realize that I sometimes make it bleed. Doesn’t even hurt!

I also pace while I’m on the phone. I quite simply cannot stay put if I’m on the phone. I’ll walk circles in the office or laps around in the garage. No idea why.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 01:45 PM   #6
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Responding to personal conflict by using Corporate Speak.

I find that it makes people absolutely insane but it allows me to remain detached and not engage in conflict which makes them even more insane.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 3
King Rudi13152.00
Murf99314114.00
      04-13-2020, 02:07 PM   #7
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
Quote:
I pick at hangnails. Find myself scratching my thumb with my index finger a lot. I've been doing it for so long I don't even realize that I sometimes make it bleed. Doesn't even hurt!

I also pace while I'm on the phone. I quite simply cannot stay put if I'm on the phone. I'll walk circles in the office or laps around in the garage. No idea why.
I pace while talking on the phone as well. Doesn't have to be an intense call/subject matter. Just automatically start pacing for the duration of the call, then most likely sit right back down once the call is over if I happened to be sitting when the phone went off.

Not sure how or when it started, but it's funny when my CDR calls me out on it from time to time.

Doesn't seem to really bother anyone though, so I guess no major pressure to end it.
quick6750.50
Nuckle2186.00
      04-13-2020, 02:14 PM   #8
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
What helped me stop smoking back in 2014 was these few steps. If you truly wish to put an end to nicotine use, maybe you can try any of these and I hope you find success.

1. Do the math to see how much money you spend on smoking (or vaping) for a year.

2. Ordinary 5gum worked for me to kill the oral fixation, and the taste of the gum would override the thought of the taste of a Newport, lol.

3. Change the routine/habits that lead to lighting up. This might be the most difficult step, but if you have a habit of smoking/vaping after a meal, try eating in a different location or eating different dishes. if you smoke before walking into the workplace, try parking closer or further to switch up the mental ques a bit.

If you really want to stop, then just get started on stopping and eventually you'll ween yourself off it over time.
      04-13-2020, 02:16 PM   #9
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

I tend to look down or away when talking to people as I get very shy and nervous - especially if it's just small talk
Appreciate 2
      04-13-2020, 02:17 PM   #10
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I hadn't really thought about it, but I suffer from a similar issue. I cut the tip of my index finger off years ago with a pair of scissors in an unfortunate office zip tie incident. After the tip of my finger "healed" it is now completely numb. I find myself constantly rubbing it with my thumb. It just feels weird. One the ex's used to get upset with me when I would touch her with it. The odd thing is that I can put pressure on it and a person can see how flat the tip was when it was sliced off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
I pick at hangnails. Find myself scratching my thumb with my index finger a lot. I’ve been doing it for so long I don’t even realize that I sometimes make it bleed. Doesn’t even hurt!

I also pace while I’m on the phone. I quite simply cannot stay put if I’m on the phone. I’ll walk circles in the office or laps around in the garage. No idea why.
I trend to pace a lot while on business calls as well. I'm a smoker, so when I get calls that I know may take a while, I'll excuse myself from the office and have a smoke whilst I pace.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 02:20 PM   #11
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Chewing my nails, chewing ice, procrastinating, and spending money. In no particular order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
I tend to look down or away when talking to people as I get very shy and nervous - especially if it's just small talk
I really don't like looking directly at people, it's just weird. I'd rather be talking and walking, otherwise Ill just look close to you or out the window and respond. Idk why... I'm not shy, it just feels weird to stare at someone while talking.
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
MPOWER52664750.00
      04-13-2020, 02:21 PM   #12
aozer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
just quit, that is all there really is to it.

i used to smoke cigs, then moved to a juul. one day i decided that shit was stupid and threw my juul in the trash. its really not that hard if you commit to it.
Appreciate 2
      04-13-2020, 02:26 PM   #13
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
My Dad smoked his entire life, started at probably 12 or 13, and he is now almost 60. He always smoked in "private" though, never in the house or around us when we were young. A couple years ago he committed to quitting, got a vape, and he was an entirely different person. Slowly weined himself off the nic, and was only really vaping for the sensation. He has now cut that out all together. We were all so proud of him for doing it. He lost weight, mood was back, he was exercising and could breathe properly, it was fantastic. Let it be some motivation for you!
Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00
      04-13-2020, 02:26 PM   #14
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
Responding to personal conflict by using Corporate Speak.

I find that it makes people absolutely insane but it allows me to remain detached and not engage in conflict which makes them even more insane.
I tend to do this as well. I do it because I realize it gets under peoples skin. Current plant manager yelled at me one day. I calmly, in a monotone voice replied with, "Is there a reason that you are yelling at me? I would certainly hope, that as professionals, we might be able to discuss, and resolve, issues that we encounter by not becoming emotionally charged regarding the situation." He then yelled, "I'm not yelling!" My response, "I'm glad that we were able to have this talk. Maybe after you go to your office and calm down for a while, maybe we can revisit this situation and resolve it collectively as professionals." He didn't speak to me for a few weeks after this exchange.
Appreciate 4
MKSixer34171.50
Murf99314114.00
      04-13-2020, 02:26 PM   #15
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Procrastinating. I find it very difficult to get motivated these days. I need a bit of stress to get going, and then I'll crank the work out, but otherwise...bleh.

And when I do crank the work out I feel good, feel better about myself. Yet....cannot get myself engaged without some stress it seems.
Appreciate 5
Conissah1574.50
King Rudi13152.00
Murf99314114.00
      04-13-2020, 02:28 PM   #16
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
Chewing my nails, chewing ice, procrastinating, and spending money. In no particular order.

I really don't like looking directly at people, it's just weird. I'd rather be talking and walking, otherwise Ill just look close to you or out the window and respond. Idk why... I'm not shy, it just feels weird to stare at someone while talking.
I'm this way with eye contact. I don't mind to look directly at someone while talking, but if they are too close, it does seem weird. I learned while taking a sales training course, many moons ago, to look at their nose rather than look them in eyes. Makes it a little more comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 02:29 PM   #17
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Procrastinating. I find it very difficult to get motivated these days. I need a bit of stress to get going, and then I'll crank the work out, but otherwise...bleh.

And when I do crank the work out I feel good, feel better about myself. Yet....cannot get myself engaged without some stress it seems.
I do the exact same thing. The amount of time I waste during the procrastination phase is ridiculous. Hours I tell you.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 02:41 PM   #18
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
I'm this way with eye contact. I don't mind to look directly at someone while talking, but if they are too close, it does seem weird. I learned while taking a sales training course, many moons ago, to look at their nose rather than look them in eyes. Makes it a little more comfortable.
I'm the opposite. I want to see someone's eyes when talking with them.

Maybe that's my bad habit I need to kick. I'm not trying to be intimidating as some people have accused me of, I'm truly trying to "gauge" that person.

Maybe I'm just not trustful of people to a fault, and that's how I feel others out.

And I know I should smile more often....my wife tells me that all the time.
      04-13-2020, 02:43 PM   #19
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Oh......and one thing I know I need to work on is my tone. I can say something completely innocent, but I've been told I came across as being harsh.

I do it without realizing it.
rebekahb3128.50
      04-13-2020, 03:09 PM   #20
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 330i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast.F10 View Post
Get rid of Juul and get a proper vape device. One in which you can either use a tank or build your coils. Also going this route, you can buy any NIC levels from 0 to 18MG. Thus allowing you to slowly taper down.
Idk man I don't want to be the cloud chaser, don't want to own a subie
But I tried that before quitting cigs and moving to Juul, didn't like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post
What helped me stop smoking back in 2014 was these few steps. If you truly wish to put an end to nicotine use, maybe you can try any of these and I hope you find success.

1. Do the math to see how much money you spend on smoking (or vaping) for a year.

2. Ordinary 5gum worked for me to kill the oral fixation, and the taste of the gum would override the thought of the taste of a Newport, lol.

3. Change the routine/habits that lead to lighting up. This might be the most difficult step, but if you have a habit of smoking/vaping after a meal, try eating in a different location or eating different dishes. if you smoke before walking into the workplace, try parking closer or further to switch up the mental ques a bit.

If you really want to stop, then just get started on stopping and eventually you'll ween yourself off it over time.
Yeah the cost aspect is killing me more than the health aspect probably. The issue is, it's EVERYWHERE. There are times I've hit my juul indoors under circumstances one should not smoke. May or may not include getting into trouble with the Disciplinary Board or even on a list that prevents people from traveling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aozer View Post
just quit, that is all there really is to it.

i used to smoke cigs, then moved to a juul. one day i decided that shit was stupid and threw my juul in the trash. its really not that hard if you commit to it.
Honestly this might work. Now that I'm home all day, if I throw away everything to remove distractions it could work. How were the first few days of no nicotine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
My Dad smoked his entire life, started at probably 12 or 13, and he is now almost 60. He always smoked in "private" though, never in the house or around us when we were young. A couple years ago he committed to quitting, got a vape, and he was an entirely different person. Slowly weined himself off the nic, and was only really vaping for the sensation. He has now cut that out all together. We were all so proud of him for doing it. He lost weight, mood was back, he was exercising and could breathe properly, it was fantastic. Let it be some motivation for you!
Similar with my dad, he quit smoking at 35 turning 52 this year. Though he quit after having an angiogram at 35; my family's medical history isn't great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post

Oh my god same. It's horrible to try to get work done at home; I've realized the best way to go at it was to compartmentalize my apartment. My laptop is set on the kitchen counter and my desktop is in my room. I just need to stop making the trip back and forth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Oh......and one thing I know I need to work on is my tone. I can say something completely innocent, but I've been told I came across as being harsh.

I do it without realizing it.
I have been told I come off as "intimidating". The same person also said I come off as fairly confident and that she sees my confidence from the way I enunciate words. I have no clue what any of that means, but I've been told I come off as intimidating as well. Definitely all ears if you figure out what/why we come off as harsh/intimidating.
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
Rmtt8206.00
      04-13-2020, 03:13 PM   #21
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

I have been told I come off as "intimidating". The same person also said I come off as fairly confident and that she sees my confidence from the way I enunciate words. I have no clue what any of that means, but I've been told I come off as intimidating as well. Definitely all ears if you figure out what/why we come off as harsh/intimidating.
We are only intimidating to those who are insecure. A confident person is rarely intimidated. At least this is what I tell myself. I'm told the same. Usually by women.
Appreciate 3
      04-13-2020, 03:17 PM   #22
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Turkish Pickle

Maybe we come off as assertive. I will admit, I'm a confident person...but I'm not cocky.

I treat everyone as equal as that is how I was raised. I'm no better than anyone else, but the same applies the other way.

Maybe just a personality trait although I'm not saying it's good or bad.