M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion what new thing did you learn about the car today?

03-03-2020, 08:38 PM   #1
Brain_attack
Riding the stars
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

what new thing did you learn about the car today?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I got the car over the weekend. M8C sonic speed blue with Merino Midrand Beige.

It's blast. I had M4C convertible 2017 and I can feel the difference in good way between them.

Anyway I found today 3 new things about the car that I didn't know before:

1. when you swing you foot under the trunk it will open. But if you swing it again it will close by it self without toughing it.
2. If you touch the driver door handle it will lock the car. If you touch it again it will fold the side mirrors.
3. If you press the voice activation button and say to the car any channel in the radio it will change channel to it. Like I would only say CNN and it will answer back after changing the media to CNN channel and it say" you are now listening to CNN".

Lets pile list of new things we learn about the car.

Last edited by Brain_attack; 03-03-2020 at 08:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 08:49 PM   #2
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain_attack View Post
I got the car over the weekend. M8C sonic speed blue with Merino Midrand Beige.

It's blast. I had M4C convertible 2017 and I can feel the difference in good way between them.

Anyway I found today 3 new things about the car that I didn't know before:

1. when you swing you foot under the trunk it will open. But if you swing it again it will close by it self without toughing it.
2. If you tough the driver door handle it will lock the care. If you touch it again it will fold the side mirrors.
3. If you press the voice activation button and say to the car any channel in the radio it will change channel to it. Like I would say CNN and it will answer back after changing the media to CNN channel and say you are now listening to CNN.

I learned that I'm fickle and have absolutely no patience and even with a 2020 M5C in my garage, I will remain grumpy until my M8C GC turns up.

Try this one: exit the car with all the windows and sunroof open (oh, wait--the latter is impossible... why BMW!?!). Touch the embossed lock stripes on the door handle and hold there and the windows will roll themselves up. You can do the same from the key fob but I believe I had to code that back on to my M5--I'll do the same for the M8.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 08:54 PM   #3
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Oooh, another one--rather than navigate the menus to program your M1 and M2 buttons, simply set the car up as you like using the buttons on the center console then hold either M1 or M2 until it bleeps and it's now programmed... et voila (works on a 2020 F90; your mileage may vary).

Last edited by limeypride; 03-03-2020 at 09:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 11:34 PM   #4
Brain_attack
Riding the stars
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Oooh, another one--rather than navigate the menus to program your M1 and M2 buttons, simply set the car up as you like using the buttons on the center console then hold either M1 or M2 until it bleeps and it's now programmed... et voila (works on a 2020 F90; your mileage may vary).
Thanks for tip
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 09:38 PM   #5
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain_attack View Post
3. If you press the voice activation button and say to the car any channel in the radio it will change channel to it. Like I would only say CNN and it will answer back after changing the media to CNN channel and it say" you are now listening to CNN".

I started a thread on my new found love for the BMW Assistant in regards to this. It goes way beyond just tuning to a station. In fact if you set up a personal keyword or just keep the "okay BMW" you do not even have to press the voice activation button whatsoever. Using the default keyword (or custom) you can voice it to play tracks from the hard drive (or in my case a SSD in the console), skip tracks, etc. All an incredible benefit when your driving 85 MPH+ and keeping your hands on the wheel (where they should be ).

It also takes a bit of finagling but you can define your work address for the navigation to recognize and purely by voice "navigate me to work" will light up a route. The value add being the BMW navigation systems traffic routing (road closures, congestion, accidents, etc.) is nearly on par with Waze. So regardless that I know how to get to my office I use it to get me around the commute gridlock with a simple voice command.

Side note being that I have the navigation system set to not provide voice prompting as with the digital cockpit, HUD, and my split screen iDrive home screen (media on the left and map on the right) it is useless. Bottom line is I do not want the navigation voice prompts intruding on the amazing B&W audio system during my commute to work.
Appreciate 1