M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion M8C - Driver Restraint System Malfunction

03-20-2020, 09:33 PM   #1
c^2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Comp Coupe

M8C - Driver Restraint System Malfunction

Hey everyone,

Anyone who has an M8 driving suddenly get a series of error messages? (below, pictures attached)

"Driver restraint system malfunction"

"Seatback monitoring malfunction"

Second time this is happening. Seems to be triggered after activating heated seats a few times.

First time, BMW service took it in for a week, ran a bunch of diagnostics with some of the engineers and ended up just replacing a fuse + a "module"

If anyone else has been getting this, can you let me know what the shop did to fix it? I did a search and saw people taping things apart - I'm not doing that... at 180K of a car, this should not be happening nor should I have to do that.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 11:41 PM   #2
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by c^2 View Post
Hey everyone,

Anyone who has an M8 driving suddenly get a series of error messages? (below, pictures attached)

"Driver restraint system malfunction"

"Seatback monitoring malfunction"

Second time this is happening. Seems to be triggered after activating heated seats a few times.

First time, BMW service took it in for a week, ran a bunch of diagnostics with some of the engineers and ended up just replacing a fuse + a "module"

If anyone else has been getting this, can you let me know what the shop did to fix it? I did a search and saw people taping things apart - I'm not doing that... at 180K of a car, this should not be happening nor should I have to do that.
You must not have been driving quickly enough--go much faster, it'll be fine.

// I'm kidding for the humor-delinquent amongst you.

If it were me, I'd take it back in—that's not a system you want failing when needed.

PS: 180K of what currency?
PPS: you appear to be a new member and yet your garage indicates you drive a 2011 328xi... that thinks it's an M8? Just teasing
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 07:42 PM   #3
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

I had the same error after the software recall update. it's the last update from January/February. I think 2019.November something.

I took it back, the reupdated the software and reset all the seats. I know because they told me they uninstalled the car seats, and I had to reinstall the car seats.

took maybe 45 minutes of coding at dealership.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 06:16 PM   #4
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
I had the same error after the software recall update. it's the last update from January/February. I think 2019.November something.

I took it back, the reupdated the software and reset all the seats. I know because they told me they uninstalled the car seats, and I had to reinstall the car seats.

took maybe 45 minutes of coding at dealership.
That should be a 11/2019.XX release. Mine being specifically 11/2019.55 which was loaded on my M850i to solve my issues with ConnectedDrive. Of course the issues ultimately turned out to be BMW's stupidity with special characters, clear-text password usage between the "cloud" & the car and poor QA testing for the upgrade on the cloud that broke it (as an "@" will not work but others will). More so to the point it broke iDrive 7 but not the iDrive 6 in my wife's X5.

In regards to your 11/2019.xx update causing similar issues with the Driver restraint system it's just another example of BMW's absolute lack of software competency. Think of it this way iDrive is the software and the car is the hardware. From this point of view BMW is a closed system similar to Apple iOS and their iPhone hardware. BMW has the ability fully QA iDrive updates across their existing hardware platforms and even more so with iDrive 7 given the limited number of models that have it today.
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2020, 09:48 PM   #5
c^2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Comp Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
That should be a 11/2019.XX release. Mine being specifically 11/2019.55 which was loaded on my M850i to solve my issues with ConnectedDrive. Of course the issues ultimately turned out to be BMW's stupidity with special characters, clear-text password usage between the "cloud" & the car and poor QA testing for the upgrade on the cloud that broke it (as an "@" will not work but others will). More so to the point it broke iDrive 7 but not the iDrive 6 in my wife's X5.

In regards to your 11/2019.xx update causing similar issues with the Driver restraint system it's just another example of BMW's absolute lack of software competency. Think of it this way iDrive is the software and the car is the hardware. From this point of view BMW is a closed system similar to Apple iOS and their iPhone hardware. BMW has the ability fully QA iDrive updates across their existing hardware platforms and even more so with iDrive 7 given the limited number of models that have it today.

I don't know how they couldn't have figured this out after having my car for over a week. Even after that, they ordered the wrong hardware and knowingly installed it. Back to the shop it goes tomorrow.

As much as I like the M8... unacceptable for a car that the community already knows is overpriced. I'm ready to lemon-law it, get my money back, and get an S63.
Appreciate 0