M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Crackling noise through B&W speakers

01-12-2021, 05:47 AM   #1
waterhousej
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 840i

Crackling noise through B&W speakers

Hi

I recently purchased a new 840i with the B&W Hi-Fi option. I immediately noticed a low level crackling sound coming through the speakers even when the system is on mute. The sound isn’t very loud, and can’t really be heard when the engine is running and music playing, but it’s really annoying when the engine is switched off.

I took the car back to the dealer and they ran a diagnostics check but we’re unable to detect any fault. The salesman could hear the crackling and thought it was probably just a trait of the car but he didn’t have another 8 Series with the B&W Hi-Fi to see if the issue was common to all cars.

Has anyone else come across this issue?

Many thanks
Jimbo
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 07:15 AM   #2
Mgrae456
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW m850

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhousej View Post
Hi

I recently purchased a new 840i with the B&W Hi-Fi option. I immediately noticed a low level crackling sound coming through the speakers even when the system is on mute. The sound isn’t very loud, and can’t really be heard when the engine is running and music playing, but it’s really annoying when the engine is switched off.

I took the car back to the dealer and they ran a diagnostics check but we’re unable to detect any fault. The salesman could hear the crackling and thought it was probably just a trait of the car but he didn’t have another 8 Series with the B&W Hi-Fi to see if the issue was common to all cars.

Many thanks
Jimbo
I'll check in mine but if it's there I haven't noticed it in a year.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 09:11 AM   #3
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Hi

Many thanks
Jimbo
our audio guy is bloozemanAZ ,however, without stepping on his toes, I can tell you without a doubt it's the ASL fake noise generator. 100% because it's what happens to mine.

I used bimmercoded to remove it, but r33_RGSport can remove the coding too.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12803.00
      01-12-2021, 10:35 AM   #4
waterhousej
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for your feedback. So you hear the crackling even when the engine is turned off?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 12:27 PM   #5
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for your feedback. So you hear the crackling even when the engine is turned off?
I had that problem in my m850i convertible. it's the reason I bought bimmercoded on day 2 and quickly coded it off. it's been 3 years and I don't hear it. but I never turned it back On.

it's been off for 3 years minus 2 days; day 1 and one day when my software was updated at the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 08:07 PM   #6
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Hi

Many thanks
Jimbo
Something is definitely amiss as my 2020 M850i with B&W audio does not produce any sound whatsoever when the audio is muted with the engine running or when shut off. In fact the majority of the time I spent dialing the EQ settings was in the garage with the engine off. I was using FLAC sources on my SSD plugged into the USB-C port in the center console and during passages of silence in the music you could hear a pin drop vs what you are describing.
Appreciate 2
      01-12-2021, 11:07 PM   #7
Mgrae456
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW m850

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Quote:
Hi

I recently purchased a new 840i with the B&W Hi-Fi option. I immediately noticed a low level crackling sound coming through the speakers even when the system is on mute. The sound isn't very loud, and can't really be heard when the engine is running and music playing, but it's really annoying when the engine is switched off.

I took the car back to the dealer and they ran a diagnostics check but we're unable to detect any fault. The salesman could hear the crackling and thought it was probably just a trait of the car but he didn't have another 8 Series with the B&W Hi-Fi to see if the issue was common to all cars.

Many thanks
Jimbo
Something is definitely amiss as my 2020 M850i with B&W audio does not produce any sound whatsoever when the audio is muted with the engine running or when shut off. In fact the majority of the time I spent dialing the EQ settings was in the garage with the engine off. I was using FLAC sources on my SSD plugged into the USB-C port in the center console and during passages of silence in the music you could hear a pin drop vs what you are describing.
@bloozemanAZ I know this is off topic but can you please share your eq settings. I think you did once before but I can't find it. The other audio settings if you can also kind sir.
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2021, 01:16 PM   #8
Baron G15
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G15 8 Series, Audi Q8

Quote:
Hi

Many thanks
Jimbo
I’m assuming you got it from Cotswold BMW....Chris is the workshop manager there....he’s usually pretty good at chasing down problems....I have an 840d I bought from them.....I have the HK audio system (which is a lesser system than yours) and I have zero noise coming thru the system whether the car is on or off.

Make sure you’ve got a master tech working on your car (they normally do for the 8 series) however, they may be running a skeleton workshop due to lockdown.

I’d ask them to switch the engine sound generator off and then test the system....at the very least you’ll know if it is/isn’t causing the problem.

Enjoy the car....what color did you get?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 02:08 PM   #9
waterhousej
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for your feedback. I bought the car from Matthew at Cotswold BMW. It’s in Dravit Grey and fully loaded with pretty much every extra including the Carbon Pack, Comfort Pack, M Sport Pro Pack and Technology Pack.

I’m not sure if it was a Master Tech who looked at the car but it was only a quick check on Saturday morning. They plugged it into the diagnostics and couldn’t find a fault. The technician couldn’t hear the crackling but Matt also listened and could he could hear the noise I was highlighting.

We’ve agreed that I’m going to go back after lockdown ends to compare my B&W system with one in another 8 Series when one is in stock. I’m sure they will then agree that the sound isn’t a trait of the car and take a deeper look. There is a setting to control the engine sound in iDrive but I’ve not tried altering this yet. I think this is set to ‘Balanced’ so I’ll try this in the other settings. I’m not sure if there’s a setting to completely turn this off but will ask the dealer to try this if I don’t manage to sort this myself.

Regards
Jimbo
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 03:23 PM   #10
Baron G15
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for your feedback. I bought the car from Matthew at Cotswold BMW. It’s in Dravit Grey and fully loaded with pretty much every extra including the Carbon Pack, Comfort Pack, M Sport Pro Pack and Technology Pack.

I’m not sure if it was a Master Tech who looked at the car but it was only a quick check on Saturday morning. They plugged it into the diagnostics and couldn’t find a fault. The technician couldn’t hear the crackling but Matt also listened and could he could hear the noise I was highlighting.

We’ve agreed that I’m going to go back after lockdown ends to compare my B&W system with one in another 8 Series when one is in stock. I’m sure they will then agree that the sound isn’t a trait of the car and take a deeper look. There is a setting to control the engine sound in iDrive but I’ve not tried altering this yet. I think this is set to ‘Balanced’ so I’ll try this in the other settings. I’m not sure if there’s a setting to completely turn this off but will ask the dealer to try this if I don’t manage to sort this myself.

Regards
Jimbo
If you’re bored during lockdown and want to verify for yourself just buy BimmerCode (and a dongle)....switching off the active sound generator is one of the presets.....you can’t screw anything up, it’ll switch it on/off at the touch of a button.....there isn’t a preset in the idrive to deactivate active sound.

https://bimmercode.app/cars/g15/
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 07:34 PM   #11
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgrae456 View Post
@bloozemanAZ I know this is off topic but can you please share your eq settings. I think you did once before but I can't find it. The other audio settings if you can also kind sir.
Given everyone's ear is different in the way of what sounds good to them from a bass, middle and high-range aspect within the soundscape plus choice of source material in the mix I'd start with the OP's excellent primer on the configuration in this post: https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=26766185. Once you've dialed it in to your ear the only other thing I can add not in my postings on the thread is from my testing Concert is the overall best DSP aka "sound profile" setting. Studio can get the thumbs up on lower volumes but once you are at 30% plus (I live in the 50% range) Concert is the clear winner no questions asked.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 07:43 PM   #12
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Regards
Jimbo
It could indeed be the fabricated engine noise, i.e., Engine Sound within iDrive as at least Ozzie8 had an issue with it in his M850i albeit different than what you're experiencing. That said just to help out in the testing purposes I had the B&W off on an errand run today and there was no low level speaker noise whatsoever. If it isn't a new issue with the active sound generator different than Ozzie8's my suspicion is a fault in the booster (aka amp) or RAM unit which are both the primary contributors in the signal path to the speakers. Then again you may have a bad driver in one of the speakers causing the issue but you should be able to confirm that, i.e., is the sound coming from a single speaker vs several (this would point to the booster and RAM units).
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2021, 08:41 PM   #13
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Do both the M8/M850's have the FEN (fabricated engine noise)? I don't notice this in my 19 M850.
Does the audio need to be turned on to hear it.
What yrs/models can turn it off?

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 10:14 PM   #14
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
Do both the M8/M850's have the FEN (fabricated engine noise)? I don't notice this in my 19 M850.
yes both have the ASL, artificial sound; or FEL fake engine noises. it's on bmw after 2010. some had it and by 2018 almost all have it.

my 2019 and your 2019 definitely have it.

you can hear it in speakers. yes you need the music playing but even at low volumes you should be able to hear it.

get bimmercoded off, and then on next day and then off next day. and you'll hear the difference.
Appreciate 1
RJC-11281.00
      01-13-2021, 10:30 PM   #15
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
Quote:
yes both have the ASL, artificial sound; or FEL fake engine noises. it's on bmw after 2010. some had it and by 2018 almost all have it.

you can hear it in speakers. yes you need the music playing but even at low volumes you should be able to hear it.

get bimmercoded off, and then on next day and then off next day. and you'll hear the difference.
Thanks, now I will keep audio off, hate artificial anything!

Appreciate 1
      01-13-2021, 10:46 PM   #16
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

For $50 for an adapters and $50 for bimmercode; it will be the best Ben Franklin you ever spent. And you can turn everything on and off.
Appreciate 2
RJC-11281.00
FBMWWINS603.50
      01-13-2021, 11:19 PM   #17
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

For $50 for an adapters and $50 for bimmercode; it will be the best Ben Franklin you ever spent. And you can turn everything on and off.
Is it user friendly:intuitive? Can I screw anything up by doing something I shouldn't have?

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 01:13 AM   #18
Baron G15
Private
Rep

Quote:
Is it user friendly:intuitive? Can I screw anything up by doing something I shouldn't have?
Very easy to use, and well laid out....just stay out of expert mode and you can’t screw anything up...there’s plenty of YouTube videos out there that show you how it works (not required watching but, will give you a sense of just how easy it is)
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2021, 02:05 AM   #19
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

correct, what baron said above. stay away from expert mode, and it keeps backups of everything for you. so you can easily flip back at anytime for anything.

basic mode is easy as ordering pizza online and choosing your toppings.
Appreciate 1
RJC-11281.00
      01-14-2021, 02:37 AM   #20
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupé & M240i Coupé

Quote:
Bimmercode is a clear WINNER in all respects. Amazing and for me at the top when compared to similar user friendly DYI solutions.
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2021, 02:48 AM   #21
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupé & M240i Coupé

Quote:

Regards
Jimbo
Saturday morning is unfortunately not the best time to take it to BMW as dealers are not at full strength/capacity and the diagnosis made is usually quick and not as thorough as if you leave them the car on a given working day. On top, the tricky part here, and with such annoyances and potential problems in the form of ANY noises that come from anywhere inside the cabin, is that the diagnostics system will not necessarily throw a fault. This will require some careful analysis and investigation, perhaps as some said listening and comparing to a similar car at the same dealership and I doubt they get to the root cause only or simply by hooking up their diagnostics. Though the procedure demands that this be the first thing to be carried out.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Appreciate 2
RJC-11281.00
      01-14-2021, 02:38 PM   #22
Rogerha
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 840d Dravit Grey

Quote:

Regards
Jimbo
Hey Jimbo, I am about 40 minutes away from you, and have virtually an identical car except I have the ‘d’ not the ‘i’. I have the B&W, and can assure you it’s the best thing about the car, no crackling - and I am a HiFi buff. If (when we are free from lockdown) you want to meet up to compare, I’d be more that happy to. I hear good things about Cotswold BMW so I expect they will look after you.
Appreciate 0