M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Upsizing wheels on M8GC

01-11-2021, 11:24 AM   #1
BOHJO
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8C Gran Coupe

Upsizing wheels on M8GC

I am toying with the idea of going to a 21 or 22" wheel for my summer setup. My concern is that the profile on the tires will then be 25 or 30 (instead of 35, which it is now). Is this too thin? Does anybody have experience driving on a 25 or 30 profile tire? I'm worried about the ride as well as the possible damage to rim/tire due to our sh**ty roads here in the Toronto area. I'm also considering lowering the suspension, as some on this forum have done, which will give me a more aggressive look, without going to a larger wheel. And will then add in some spacers. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 11:33 AM   #2
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOHJO View Post
I am toying with the idea of going to a 21 or 22" wheel for my summer setup. My concern is that the profile on the tires will then be 25 or 30 (instead of 35, which it is now). Is this too thin? Does anybody have experience driving on a 25 or 30 profile tire? I'm worried about the ride as well as the possible damage to rim/tire due to our sh**ty roads here in the Toronto area. I'm also considering lowering the suspension, as some on this forum have done, which may give me the look I am after without going to a larger wheel. Thoughts?
I have not done a "plus size" work up on my GC but I have done many a 30 series and even 25 series tires on previous rides. My roads are really quite good though so I think going with 21 inch wheels and 30 series tires will be your best bet. 22 inch wheels will require 25 series to keep the diameter within or close to spec and I dont like rubber bands all too much. I did roll 25 series tires on my Ferrari 458 but the diameter was 335 so the sidewall was reasonable.

Ive lowered my car on stock wheels (KW HAS) with favorable results. I wanted to go just a bit lower but the springs are maxed out due to how the F93 chassis sits (super low):

2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 2
xmanpro3055.00
sullic72.00
      01-11-2021, 11:59 AM   #3
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
I am toying with the idea of going to a 21 or 22" wheel for my summer setup. My concern is that the profile on the tires will then be 25 or 30 (instead of 35, which it is now). Is this too thin? Does anybody have experience driving on a 25 or 30 profile tire? I'm worried about the ride as well as the possible damage to rim/tire due to our sh**ty roads here in the Toronto area. I'm also considering lowering the suspension, as some on this forum have done, which will give me a more aggressive look, without going to a larger wheel. And will then add in some spacers. Thoughts?
I ran 30s on one on my F90s and the ride was atrocious—the car was lowered, though, on H&R springs which certainly contributed substantively to the jarring ride on poor surfaces.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 06:50 PM   #4
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
I looked at upsizeing my tires the poor man way and a 21" is do able without problems. but after that it is a problem.

I'm considering taking the 30/35 into 40/35 and thus adding almost an inch of rubber to the 20" rims to look like 21"
it fits and can be done. but I'm still on stock.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 08:36 PM   #5
Jenner
///M
Rep
Drives: M8C/Taycan Turbo/Roadster 2.0

Garage List
Quote:
Does anybody have experience driving on a 25 or 30 profile tire? I'm worried about the ride as well as the possible damage to rim/tire due to our sh**ty roads here in the Toronto area. I'm also considering lowering the suspension
I'm running 21"s on my M8 Convertible. I did the wheels/tires first then lowered on H&R after. So I can speak to both.

First off anything more than 21" and 30 profile is insane. 22" and 25 just DON'T do it. I don't care how good it might look its a heavy car and you are going to ruin the ride and probably end up with bend rims and flat tires with the smallest potholes.

The ride quality changes MUCH more with smaller sidewall than with the lowering springs. Stock springs and stock tires the car was TOO soft for me and I ran in sport plus suspension all the time. Adding the lowering springs didn't change the ride quality for the worse, but it did make it so that the 3 suspension modes actually feel different now.

If your roads are shit up there then I wouldn't do it. It's a heavy car and the stiffness of the 30 size tire profile (even when based on the width of wide tires) really takes out what I call a "suspension element" which is the flex in the sidewall of the tire.

That said the huge fat stock sidewall makes the M8 look much less aggressive and much more old man (to me). The 21" with the 30 looks like a sports car. If you want a true GT car that you can glide along the highway in for hours upon hours keep the stock size sidewalls. If you want a firmer, slightly harsher ride, more aggressive look with less "floating" feeling then go to the 21s. I prefer my cars to be stiffer so for me it works but again the jump from 35 to 30 was much harsher than the jump from stock springs to H&R springs.

Also note you cannot easily put higher than 30 sidewalls on the 21s because the AWD system will get out of sync. One guy here did it and broke his front axle twice. The tire sizes you want are 285/30/21 and 295/30/21 which is an exact match for stock.

You could play around with slightly wider front and rears to increase the sidewall a little bit but then you have to be careful with offsets and/or limit the amount you can lower or use spacers etc. I went with a very aggressive offset and super wide wheels to get deep concave on both front and rear wheels plus I knew I wanted to lower. But keep in mind you need to stay within 3% of the stock total wheel/tire diameters for each front and rear AND you need to keep the % difference between the front and rear tire within 2% (factory tire is 1% larger rear diameter than front) to keep the AWD bias happy.

This is probably more info than you are asking for at this time, but feel free to PM me with any specific questions before you order anything.

I'll have pictures coming soon. My M8 is in the shop still getting wrapped in Satin Frozen Vanilla. It was delayed due to a huge snow storm that hit right before the holidays and they resumed working on it today.

Since I don't have pics of my convertible on 21"s heres a M8 Coupe on different wheels than mine in 21" with the same offsets and widths and lowered to give you an idea of how good lowered & 21 looks on this car:
https://ferradawheels.com/pf/smoking-m8/

IMHO it really changes the character/attitude of the car to be much more aggressive looking and sporty than the default which is more luxury cruiser/tourer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
I looked at upsizing my tires the poor man way and a 21" is doable without problems. but after that it is a problem.

I'm considering taking the 30/35 into 40/35 and thus adding almost an inch of rubber to the 20" rims to look like 21"
Increasing the size of sidewalls will never make a wheel look like a bigger one. It has the opposite effect and makes the wheel look smaller! I am not sure if you typed that out backwards or I am misunderstanding you intent. The M8 would look really weird with bigger sidewalls than stock.
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2021, 08:49 PM   #6
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenner View Post
Quote:
Does anybody have experience driving on a 25 or 30 profile tire? I'm worried about the ride as well as the possible damage to rim/tire due to our sh**ty roads here in the Toronto area. I'm also considering lowering the suspension
I'm running 21"s on my M8 Convertible. I did the wheels/tires first then lowered on H&R after. So I can speak to both.

First off anything more than 21" and 30 profile is insane. 22" and 25 just DON'T do it. I don't care how good it might look its a heavy car and you are going to ruin the ride and probably end up with bend rims and flat tires with the smallest potholes.

The ride quality changes MUCH more with smaller sidewall than with the lowering springs. Stock springs and stock tires the car was TOO soft for me and I ran in sport plus suspension all the time. Adding the lowering springs didn't change the ride quality for the worse, but it did make it so that the 3 suspension modes actually feel different now.

If your roads are shit up there then I wouldn't do it. It's a heavy car and the stiffness of the 30 size tire profile (even when based on the width of wide tires) really takes out what I call a "suspension element" which is the flex in the sidewall of the tire.

That said the huge fat stock sidewall makes the M8 look much less aggressive and much more old man (to me). The 21" with the 30 looks like a sports car. If you want a true GT car that you can glide along the highway in for hours upon hours keep the stock size sidewalls. If you want a firmer, slightly harsher ride, more aggressive look with less "floating" feeling then go to the 21s. I prefer my cars to be stiffer so for me it works but again the jump from 35 to 30 was much harsher than the jump from stock springs to H&R springs.

Also note you cannot easily put higher than 30 sidewalls on the 21s because the AWD system will get out of sync. One guy here did it and broke his front axle twice. The tire sizes you want are 285/30/21 and 295/30/21 which is an exact match for stock.

You could play around with slightly wider front and rears to increase the sidewall a little bit but then you have to be careful with offsets and/or limit the amount you can lower or use spacers etc. I went with a very aggressive offset and super wide wheels to get deep concave on both front and rear wheels plus I knew I wanted to lower. But keep in mind you need to stay within 3% of the stock total wheel/tire diameters for each front and rear AND you need to keep the % difference between the front and rear tire within 2% (factory tire is 1% larger rear diameter than front) to keep the AWD bias happy.

This is probably more info than you are asking for at this time, but feel free to PM me with any specific questions before you order anything.

I'll have pictures coming soon. My M8 is in the shop still getting wrapped in Satin Frozen Vanilla. It was delayed due to a huge snow storm that hit right before the holidays and they resumed working on it today.

Since I don't have pics of my convertible on 21"s heres a M8 Coupe on different wheels than mine in 21" with the same offsets and widths and lowered to give you an idea of how good lowered & 21 looks on this car:
https://ferradawheels.com/pf/smoking-m8/

IMHO it really changes the character/attitude of the car to be much more aggressive looking and sporty than the default which is more luxury cruiser/tourer.

Quote:
I looked at upsizing my tires the poor man way and a 21" is doable without problems. but after that it is a problem.

Increasing the size of sidewalls will never make a wheel look like a bigger one. It has the opposite effect and makes the wheel look smaller! I am not sure if you typed that out backwards or I am misunderstanding you intent. The M8 would look really weird with bigger sidewalls than stock.
Yeah I didn't type it clearly but you got my drift. I was trying to make it a floaty softer ride. Non run flat swap for run flats too.
The exact opposite of yours and the OP post, but similar in upsize in that the overall diameter of 21" with small sidewalls is similar size to 20" with larger softer sidewalls.

I was looking to turn the GT car into a soft sedan. You're looking to turn the GT into a Race car.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 02:20 PM   #7
Ehloo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 x5 m

i am running aftermarket 21’s and lowered on KW HAS.
still on a 30 side wall front and back and not much difference in ride quality and no regrets on the decision.

i did contemplate doing a 21/22 settup as i thought that would look amazing. the rear could use a larger wheel. but that would of meant rubber bands on the rear and all kinds of issues

21’s is the go to size on the f92 and f90.

Quote:
Yeah I didn't type it clearly but you got my drift. I was trying to make it a floaty softer ride. Non run flat swap for run flats too.
The exact opposite of yours and the OP post, but similar in upsize in that the overall diameter of 21" with small sidewalls is similar size to 20" with larger softer sidewalls.

I was looking to turn the GT car into a soft sedan. You're looking to turn the GT into a Race car.
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2021, 03:18 PM   #8
Quinn A
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

What is the smallest wheel size that will cover the non CCB brakes? I cant seem to find a definite answer and id like to go as small as possible for my winter set.
2022 Cayenne Turbo coupe Catless/ Tune
2022 Huracan STO
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2021, 03:23 PM   #9
Jenner
///M
Rep
Drives: M8C/Taycan Turbo/Roadster 2.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn A View Post
What is the smallest wheel size that will cover the non CCB brakes? I cant seem to find a definite answer and id like to go as small as possible for my winter set.
Probably a good idea to start a new thread about your needs rather than hijack someone else's. This one is about upsizing...
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2024, 07:25 AM   #10
Alpenglow
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M8C GC

What did you end up going with Bohjo?

I too live in Toronto with our atrocious roads and am facing the same decision on 21s vs 22s.

I love the aggressive look of larger rims and thinner sidewalls but am concerned about how much worse the ride quality would be on 22s over 21s based on the comments in this thread.
Appreciate 0