M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion No July update yet

01-06-2021, 04:11 PM   #1
jseif
Rep
Drives: 535i

No July update yet

I have an 840, built around March, but still running the November '19 software. I see posts here from folks who got upgrades, but wondering why I still don't have it. Is BMW ramping up slowly? I prefer not to take it to the dealer if I can avoid it.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 09:43 PM   #2
ctelimad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw m8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseif View Post
I have an 840, built around March, but still running the November '19 software. I see posts here from folks who got upgrades, but wondering why I still don't have it. Is BMW ramping up slowly? I prefer not to take it to the dealer if I can avoid it.
Same here i am at version 11/2019 still waiting for the July update to get android auto
My car is an m8 that I bought in March last year
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 08:48 AM   #3
JonArcher06033
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50E

Garage List
2020 840i GC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctelimad View Post
Quote:
Same here i am at version 11/2019 still waiting for the July update to get android auto
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

November 19 build here too. Got fed up and called dealer. They pushed it off the BMW connected - they pushed back saying if you didn't have it by now (4 weeks ago) you need to call dealer with them on line- they spoke to service director and they were able to do it in the shop in a day. They did try everything they could to push it to car but to no avail.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 07:01 AM   #4
ctelimad
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonArcher06033 View Post
November 19 build here too. Got fed up and called dealer. They pushed it off the BMW connected - they pushed back saying if you didn't have it by now (4 weeks ago) you need to call dealer with them on line- they spoke to service director and they were able to do it in the shop in a day. They did try everything they could to push it to car but to no avail.
Funny thing happened. Yesterday I called bmw connect and spent 30 min telling them how frustrated I am with no android auto , then they transfered me to a genius but said he cant do anything.Today I woke up and found that the upgrade is available now uploading it
Dono if it is a coincidence or not
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 02:11 PM   #5
jseif
Rep

Quote:
Funny thing happened. Yesterday I called bmw connect and spent 30 min telling them how frustrated I am with no android auto , then they transfered me to a genius but said he cant do anything.Today I woke up and found that the upgrade is available now uploading it
Dono if it is a coincidence or not
Ha, based on your message I called BMW Genius who assured me that there's nothing they can do. I went to the car right after and it said update available. Hard to see how we both could get this coincidence!

The phone downloaded the upgrade quickly, but it's been saying Uploading Software to the car for over an hour. I can't tell if it's hung or working.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 04:54 PM   #6
ctelimad
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ha, based on your message I called BMW Genius who assured me that there's nothing they can do. I went to the car right after and it said update available. Hard to see how we both could get this coincidence!

The phone downloaded the upgrade quickly, but it's been saying Uploading Software to the car for over an hour. I can't tell if it's hung or working.
Also looks like limeypride got the upgrade too .so it could be today was the day that they sent it to a bunch of people. If you want to upload fast , drive ur car and connect your phone to bmw wifi while driving and click on the app upload.
If the car is not turned on it will not upload fast enough. I did that and drove for 20 to 30 min and the upload is now complete
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 05:44 PM   #7
jseif
Rep

Thanks, I tried for a while with the car off and then tried turning it on and that finished in about 30 minutes. Finally I have Android Auto, although digital key still doesn't work with my S20.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 06:07 PM   #8
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Thanks, I tried for a while with the car off and then tried turning it on and that finished in about 30 minutes. Finally I have Android Auto, although digital key still doesn't work with my S20.
I never got the update and I was on 2018 software until I took it to the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 07:40 PM   #9
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
If you do not get the OTA update for 07/2020 or 11/2020 just take the car to your dealer and request an iDrive update stating you want Android Auto which is a birth right for all iDrive 7 systems. Normally dealers will not do updates on request as BMW will not cover them under warranty labor hours but the Android Auto plus new Navigation, Assistant, etc. features will cover it under warranty. My SA had zero issues getting my 07/2020.60 update installed under warranty labor hours using the Android Auto argument.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 10:05 PM   #10
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
If you do not get the OTA update for 07/2020 or 11/2020 just take the car to your dealer and request an iDrive update stating you want Android Auto which is a birth right for all iDrive 7 systems. Normally dealers will not do updates on request as BMW will not cover them under warranty labor hours but the Android Auto plus new Navigation, Assistant, etc. features will cover it under warranty. My SA had zero issues getting my 07/2020.60 update installed under warranty labor hours using the Android Auto argument.
So if the OTA updates are for I-drive...why are they affecting the exhaust?

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 11:43 AM   #11
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
So if the OTA updates are for I-drive...why are they affecting the exhaust?
iDrive is the operating system for the vehicle and in updates BMW can include code updates to the ECU as it runs on firmware and can be flashed as part of the process.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 12:03 PM   #12
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupé & M240i Coupé

Indeed an update done through the IDrive system (such as the OTA one pushed by BMW) does not mean only the Idrive / Headunit stuff get updated. Rather ANY ECUs of the car will/can be updated and that is exactly the reason why a flashtune is lost as the DME gets updated too in the process. Coding gets also lost in the process as the various ECUs (BDC, DKOMBI4, IHKA, KAFAS4 etc. etc..) get updated with the latest software and ultimately at the end of it car is on the latest IStep level. Coding needs to be redone and the ECU flashtune RE-injected by your trusted tuner. Thus it is not just a "multimedia-stuff" upgrade or enhancement (Android Auto, Apple Car Play features and so on), but rather a complete update of potentially ALL ECUs if applicable.
Appreciate 2
RJC-11283.50
      01-10-2021, 03:19 PM   #13
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
iDrive is the operating system for the vehicle and in updates BMW can include code updates to the ECU as it runs on firmware and can be flashed as part of the process.
Ugh
Thanks
Do I have it right that my i-drive (version 07/2019.55) does not have the option to turn off updates, as it's only on later versions?

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 11:25 PM   #14
chador
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 GC Competition 2020

My car is a 2020 M8 GC delivered in March 2020, and without any intervention starting downloading the update yesterday.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 12:27 AM   #15
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chador View Post
My car is a 2020 M8 GC delivered in March 2020, and without any intervention starting downloading the update yesterday.
This appears to be the new norm...

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 12:28 PM   #16
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

Thus far, though my car keeps reminding me, it's been three days and I've been able to ignore those reminders to install the automatically downloaded update that I don't want. Fingers crossed.
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 12:47 PM   #17
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot47fla View Post
Thus far, though my car keeps reminding me, it's been three days and I've been able to ignore those reminders to install the automatically downloaded update that I don't want. Fingers crossed.
Any way to delete it?

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 01:20 PM   #18
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

Quote:
Any way to delete it?
Not that I can see, but somewhere along the line, a message said that will "expire" at some point in March, which is pretty...weird.

At the same time, the car is due for routine maintenance in March, teeing up another threat to my well-functioning software.
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 01:30 PM   #19
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot47fla View Post
Not that I can see, but somewhere along the line, a message said that will "expire" at some point in March, which is pretty...weird.

At the same time, the car is due for routine maintenance in March, teeing up another threat to my well-functioning software.
I keep saying it, we really could use a bmw tech to chime in once and while on this forum.

Well, maybe when it expires it will self delete, or when in for maintenance you can have service delete it for you.

See the link below which explains the OTA process well, it appears in point 2 there's verbiage that says you can stop/decide to update via the connected app. here's the video explaining:

This is the link to the complete OTA guide: https://www.bmw.com/en/innovation/bm...re-update.html

Any newly available upgrade packages will be announced directly as a notification on your BMW control display or on your smartphone via the BMW app – just like when other new software is made available to your phone. You decide whether to download the installation files to your phone via a WiFi connection and then later transfer it to the car, or you can just leave it up to your car to take care of automatically downloading the new software while you are driving. Once downloaded, you will be asked for your consent for the vehicle to unpack and install the new software. Your vehicle will then finalize the upgrade.

Last edited by RJC-1; 01-11-2021 at 02:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 04:52 PM   #20
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupé & M240i Coupé

Quote:
Ugh
Thanks
Do I have it right that my i-drive (version 07/2019.55) does not have the option to turn off updates, as it's only on later versions?
Have you disabled it first in the DATA PRIVACY options by not checking it? If you carry out this step first, then you should see the option/s as in the following screenshots. Leaving it unchecked means you should not get any updates pushed over unless you pro-actively revoke it. When you see the option as in picture nr. 3 (showing "activate now") then you know the status is currently on DE-activated.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
RJC-11283.50
      01-11-2021, 06:45 PM   #21
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBMWWINS View Post
Have you disabled it first in the DATA PRIVACY options by not checking it? If you carry out this step first, then you should see the option/s as in the following screenshots. Leaving it unchecked means you should not get any updates pushed over unless you pro-actively revoke it. When you see the option as in picture nr. 3 (showing "activate now") then you know the status is currently on DE-activated.
You beat me to it as I planned to take some photos today of the same screens. This is the sure fire way of disabling OTA updates regardless of what the Connected Drive app has set in the way of allowing automatic downloads and only over WiFi or not.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 10:07 PM   #22
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBMWWINS View Post

Ok, first thanks to FBMWWINS and Bloozeman for the info. and thank you FBMWWINS for the pics.

I was able to access the individual settings and unchecked the remote s/w upgrades. It also then said "the remote software upgrade feature was not possible but would be available again soon" but with no option as yours states to "re-activate". (see 2nd and 6th pic)...wtf, does it come back by itself? Do I have to keep an eye on this bloody thing? As you can see I also don't have the "deactivated" message you do unless I deactivate all services (see 4th pic). Also in the 5th pic the reload icon is red in mine vs white in yours. The connected drive site shows the remote upgrade as subscribed...does this matter?

See the last pic for what my connect app on my iphone shows. I then logged out of the app on my iphone and on my pc as an extra step to prevent downloads...was this necessary?

I received a map update at one point/time which I did not request (1st pic).

I did notice there was a banner when I first got into the data/privacy section that said "data and privacy settings have been updated" which went away within 30 secs or so...any ideas what that was for?

When I re-entered the vehicle I now receive a message saying "connected drive access data is invalid" (3rd pic), but when I moved the selector to the left and pressed home it went away, but now keeps coming back whenever I re-enter, never had that before, any ideas what this is for, and why it's showing/keeps showing now? I did recently update my iphone to the 12 mini and had to re-enter my info in the connected app (did that tonight), is that perhaps why I'm getting this message? Did not get the message last week when I drove the car and had the new phone then as well.

Thanks

Here's the result after changing settings...I also touched on the 3 messages showing a map update etc (1st pic):
Attached Images

Last edited by RJC-1; 01-12-2021 at 01:21 AM..
Appreciate 0