M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Tim Schrick - M8 Gran Coupe vs GT63S vs RS7 on track

12-30-2020, 04:18 PM   #23
POBA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreudeamFahren18 View Post
It only selects German. On the Iphone anyways. There is no other option.
I was able to watch it on my laptop with CC in English by going under settings and select the language...
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 04:46 PM   #24
Sphygmomanometer
Private
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
I wonder if the usual "Incredible! They have made the <insert any 2+ ton car here> handle like a 500kg Caterham!" is just a polite journo-phrase because I don't even need to be in the car to see that it's not the case. The RS7's tyres are begging to be put out of their misery.

Btw. this is a general observation, not a dig at Tim. He's a hell of a driver and I have loved watching him drive since old D-Motor times (with Sabine Schmitz, how amazing was that?).

Now - '21 Golf Variant 1.5 eTSI | '18 911 GT3 Touring | '19 M2 Competition
Then - '21 Civic Type R | '16 Touran 1.4 TSI | '07 M5 Touring | '06 130i | '97 528i

Last edited by Sphygmomanometer; 12-30-2020 at 04:58 PM..
Appreciate 2
CanAutM321115.00
hoyas490131.50
      12-30-2020, 04:50 PM   #25
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
Have to watch it again but the impression on my first top around was that the Audi came in last.
I merely translated the summary part from 21:50 on.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 05:22 PM   #26
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Audi indeed too much understeer, mainly because the engine weight upfront.

Merc much better behaviour of the front-axle. On weight transfers, you have to really provoke oversteer, the transmission "snaps" into the gears which is not required but adding to the ambient. Compared to the BMW, the Merc feels heavier, less natural, also the steering feel
is less intuitive (!?) and the springs/dampers hit their limits on the ondulations of the circuit.

He was positively impressed with the M8. Best and most natural steering feel (!?), it provides the feedback that you need. Better than both Audi and Merc. The AWD is very good, and you can balance the car like you want, it has the best dynamic behaviour of these three, by a stretch. The RWD is not an interesting mode to attack a circuit since it's difficult to control. It overshoots and you'll find yourself cotinuously correcting the traject: too hectical! You can use it better when it's wet or in the snow where you don't need to build high speed to drift it, which will probably allow for a better controllable behaviour.

BMW wins for its best dynamic behaviour and most natural feel. I don't believe he ranked Audi versus Merc, but I have the impression that the Merc comes in second.

Last edited by KoenG; 12-30-2020 at 05:44 PM..
Appreciate 1
Remonster824.00
      12-30-2020, 07:57 PM   #27
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

This is the most compelling non-commercial commercial for M8. BMW's ad agency of choice ... take notes.

Great video.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 08:48 PM   #28
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Interesting that he said all those things yet none of the reviews we've read and watched had a similar experience. Not saying he's right/wrong but clearly shows you that you need to test drive yourself and form your own opinions instead of listening to others and then complain about everything on a forum saying BMW is lost and confused.

If you're going to be negative, be negative because you did your due diligence instead of parroting others.
Appreciate 4
CanAutM321115.00
paliknight2191.50
Powerslide1096.50
      12-31-2020, 02:51 AM   #29
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
Interesting that he said all those things yet none of the reviews we've read and watched had a similar experience. Not saying he's right/wrong but clearly shows you that you need to test drive yourself and form your own opinions instead of listening to others and then complain about everything on a forum saying BMW is lost and confused.

If you're going to be negative, be negative because you did your due diligence instead of parroting others.
I have the impression that he tested the ease and control for drifting the car from one turn into the next. Not a conventional test, not very relevant for daily driving nor fast lap driving either. Not something I would do when I'am allowed to test drive one of these cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 05:32 AM   #30
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
Quote:

I have the impression that he tested the ease and control for drifting the car from one turn into the next. Not a conventional test, not very relevant for daily driving nor fast lap driving either. Not something I would do when I'am allowed to test drive one of these cars.
Maybe. But even when someone like Chris Harris, for example, "tests" cars in a similar way, what was described and explained in this video was never said.
Appreciate 1
KoenG1428.50
      12-31-2020, 11:05 AM   #31
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Maybe. But even when someone like Chris Harris, for example, "tests" cars in a similar way, what was described and explained in this video was never said.
Yes, it's like you state: seen even "professionals" seem to have very deviant judgement, the ultimate guide is your own sentiment and conviction. There is no wrong or right. Also, when you can buy one of these three, you'll probably not end up with a bad handling snail.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 12:43 PM   #32
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:

Absolutely. Point of view is everything.

Randy Pobst may critique some exotic behavior at the limit at 140mph, Chris Harris may dissect the nuances of oversteer in 20 different corners, and someone from Consumer Reports will make a fuss over button placement or seat heating temperature. The majority of us sit in an in-between world.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 1
KoenG1428.50
      01-02-2021, 06:30 PM   #33
BLACK KILLER
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW'16 M6GC

Garage List
Eh ... no one understood the meaning "between the lines" that in fact all three cars are shitty.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 11:30 PM   #34
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

These are such hot cars.

The Merc looks the most bad ass, especially in the matte blue and matte black options they offer.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25083.00
      01-03-2021, 10:27 PM   #35
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK KILLER View Post
Eh ... no one understood the meaning "between the lines" that in fact all three cars are shitty.
Some of us did. But it was incredibly silly to test these cars on a racetrack in the first place, they simply don’t belong there (marketing departments from Audi, Mercedes and BMW notwithstanding). What point was he trying to prove?

These are big bruiser cruisers, autobahn stormers with an extra dose of aggression built in, according to each company’s recipe.

On track, if you are fast you’d absolutely toast the tires in a couple of sessions, and the brakes in a few days (yes even the ceramics). But owners can fantasize about the track prowess of these cars, when they spend so much money on them. No harm done drinking a little coolaid.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 07:20 PM   #36
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK KILLER View Post
I had the impression he was genuinly impressed with these three cars: only a few years back 600hp in such a car would mean certain death. Tim is very well aware he's driving 2 ton porkers on a track and is adjusting his judgement accordingly. For 2 ton, 600+ hp dinosaurs, they behave very well. Did you hear another conclusion then?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 07:30 PM   #37
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Some of us did. But it was incredibly silly to test these cars on a racetrack in the first place, they simply don’t belong there (marketing departments from Audi, Mercedes and BMW notwithstanding). What point was he trying to prove?

These are big bruiser cruisers, autobahn stormers with an extra dose of aggression built in, according to each company’s recipe.

On track, if you are fast you’d absolutely toast the tires in a couple of sessions, and the brakes in a few days (yes even the ceramics). But owners can fantasize about the track prowess of these cars, when they spend so much money on them. No harm done drinking a little coolaid.

Hmmm... don't entirely agree: for these cars the vehicle dynamics is certainly key. When not, buy the 760iL, 600S or A8L W12. There is no denying that the three musketeers here are designed as being dynamic sport saloons "nec plus ultra". Does this mean you have to drift all of the time? No! It's much more about how the car behaves, feels and controls on (and over) the edge. So the test remains relevant. Whether it needed this much burning rubber is another question since to my recollection, no fast lap ever needed this much tire smoke.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 02:13 AM   #38
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
Quote:
I had the impression he was genuinly impressed with these three cars: only a few years back 600hp in such a car would mean certain death. Tim is very well aware he's driving 2 ton porkers on a track and is adjusting his judgement accordingly. For 2 ton, 600+ hp dinosaurs, they behave very well. Did you hear another conclusion then?
Same here. I didn’t hear any “between the lines” dismissive notions from him.
These cars are clearly no track cars but they are capable nonetheless.
Appreciate 1
KoenG1428.50
      01-05-2021, 02:48 AM   #39
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupé & M240i Coupé

One who owns these three cars, or any of them, does not necessarily track them. Such cars should not be looked at with the perspective that they are amongst or must be the best for driving on a track. However when tested to the limit, as it occurs on a track, they do very well all physical characteristics considered and that is what pleases the car enthusiast. That is you know that with one of these vehicles you have one of the best, if not the best, allround driving option as they do well both on and off the track while they make for great everyday drivers.
Appreciate 1
KoenG1428.50
      01-05-2021, 08:12 AM   #40
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hmmm... don't entirely agree: for these cars the vehicle dynamics is certainly key. When not, buy the 760iL, 600S or A8L W12. There is no denying that the three musketeers here are designed as being dynamic sport saloons "nec plus ultra". Does this mean you have to drift all of the time? No! It's much more about how the car behaves, feels and controls on (and over) the edge. So the test remains relevant. Whether it needed this much burning rubber is another question since to my recollection, no fast lap ever needed this much tire smoke.
Nah. Not even 1% of the owners drive these cars to their limit to see how they would behave. They are all so fast, it is virtually impossible to find their limits on the street.

These cars are sold based on looks, features/gadgets, sound and straight line acceleration (in no particular order).

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 1
KoenG1428.50