M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Apple Magsafe

01-02-2021, 08:45 PM   #1
Mgrae456
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW m850

Apple Magsafe

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I had an idea today and was curious what everyone thinks. I think we can all agree the wireless charger in our cars is less then ideal. It barely charges, it heats the phone like a toaster, a phone without a case slides around. For us iPhone users with a 12 what if we were able to somehow get a Magsafe charger in the wireless charging spot. Not with wires everywhere but threw some small hole in the back. It wouldn't be as fast as usb-c to lightning but pretty good and the magnet would keep the phone locked in place. The only issue I see is finding usb-c power behind the dash and disconnecting three wireless charger.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 12:49 AM   #2
Al Pinã
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgrae456 View Post
I had an idea today and was curious what everyone thinks. I think we can all agree the wireless charger in our cars is less then ideal. It barely charges, it heats the phone like a toaster, a phone without a case slides around. For us iPhone users with a 12 what if we were able to somehow get a Magsafe charger in the wireless charging spot. Not with wires everywhere but threw some small hole in the back. It wouldn't be as fast as usb-c to lightning but pretty good and the magnet would keep the phone locked in place. The only issue I see is finding usb-c power behind the dash and disconnecting three wireless charger.
I smoked a good amount of weed today, but probably not as much as you.
Ozzie8641.00
      01-03-2021, 04:07 AM   #3
Mgrae456
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW m850

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINA_DREAMS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgrae456 View Post
I smoked a good amount of weed today, but probably not as much as you.
I was high but still think it's a good idea
Appreciate 1
xmanpro3055.00
      01-03-2021, 09:02 AM   #4
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
My biggest issue is the phone slides around in the tray and moves away from the wireless charger (I don’t use a case which contributes to this). MagSafe would help, but I don’t see the value in tearing the whole car apart for that.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 10:46 AM   #5
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupé & M240i Coupé

My tuner in Germany told me his M8 had the very same problem with his tray getting as hot as a stove when charging an Iphone. BMW replaced it and he said the overheating issue when charging no longer occurs. I have no overheating issues with mine when charging via wireless charger but I have a Samsung Galaxy thus not the same scenario.
Appreciate 3
Ozzie8641.00
Louv300.50