M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion The road (back) to BMW and my personal Halo Car a 2020 BMW M8

04-28-2020, 10:31 PM   #23
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 Porsche 911 GTS Cab

Great write up and glad you are enjoying the M8.

I have a 992 C2S had a 19 M5 and have driven multiple M8 comp and non comp

992 vs M8 there is no comparison imo. Significantly different cars that feel nothing alike and after different markets.

992 vs M8 they're not competitors. Not dismissing your comparison bc it was a comparison for you. I just can't imagine the vast majority of people cross shop a 4300lb M8 GT car vs a sports car that also is comfortable

BTW my 992 C2S msrp 135k bought 120k significantly less than M8 and for what I want a much much better vehicle

M8 sounds like the perfect vehicle for you and don't get me wrong I love the M8 just wasn't what I was looking for. Enjoy
      04-29-2020, 04:55 AM   #24
msm2000uk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M850i

A really good and insightful post.

Like you, one of my main concerns for the car was the rear seats being useable (enough at least to fit a car seat for my little one).

Enjoy!

M
Appreciate 1
ccondo159.50
      04-29-2020, 01:31 PM   #25
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSM View Post

992 vs M8 there is no comparison imo. Significantly different cars that feel nothing alike and after different markets.

992 vs M8 they're not competitors. Not dismissing your comparison bc it was a comparison for you. I just can't imagine the vast majority of people cross shop a 4300lb M8 GT car vs a sports car that also is comfortable

BTW my 992 C2S msrp 135k bought 120k significantly less than M8 and for what I want a much much better vehicle

M8 sounds like the perfect vehicle for you and don't get me wrong I love the M8 just wasn't what I was looking for. Enjoy
Interesting as I actually am cross shopping them. For one Im a Porsche Fan Boy thru and thru with 8 different models or iterations (5 Turbo S's, 1 C4S, 1 GT3, 1 GTS) with chassis spanning from 996 to 991.2 and still have a 991.2 GTS. But Im also a huge Fan of M's (9 of them) and F90 with the S63tu engine. So the M8 is kind of like a weird change to me with shorter wheelbase, different looks, tech and driveability vs the F90 while having the same block. I have driven the M8 CE and enjoyed it. But I didnt have enough time to really get a true understanding of its driveability but enough to consider it currently.

But having had so many Porsche's I just can not deny the chassis dynamics, steering, and just brilliant driveability. Speed is not every thing and while the Turbo S's (all modded) were silly fast, I still find that the likes of my 450 OEM GTS hp is still so amazing. The way the 911 puts the power to the ground is incredible that I dont need all the hp. I have spent some time in the 992 (C4S) and was allowed to really open it up. What a fantastic car from steering to dampening and the new tech inside. I dont need 4 seats anymore so thus my choices are where they are.

It looks like you got a nice deal on your 992- Im at 8% off right now on a 150k build but the M8 CE deal is beyond crazy with the discounts off MSRP, Loyalty, and Flagship monies.

I love choices. Tell me did the M8 feel that much faster than the 992? Id love to hear your impressions.

And congrats to the OP for his choice!!! Strong write up.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 1
ccondo159.50
      04-29-2020, 07:17 PM   #26
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Quote:

Interesting as I actually am cross shopping them. For one Im a Porsche Fan Boy thru and thru with 8 different models or iterations (5 Turbo S's, 1 C4S, 1 GT3, 1 GTS) with chassis spanning from 996 to 991.2 and still have a 991.2 GTS. But Im also a huge Fan of M's (9 of them) and F90 with the S63tu engine. So the M8 is kind of like a weird change to me with shorter wheelbase, different looks, tech and driveability vs the F90 while having the same block. I have driven the M8 CE and enjoyed it. But I didnt have enough time to really get a true understanding of its driveability but enough to consider it currently.

But having had so many Porsche's I just can not deny the chassis dynamics, steering, and just brilliant driveability. Speed is not every thing and while the Turbo S's (all modded) were silly fast, I still find that the likes of my 450 OEM GTS hp is still so amazing. The way the 911 puts the power to the ground is incredible that I dont need all the hp. I have spent some time in the 992 (C4S) and was allowed to really open it up. What a fantastic car from steering to dampening and the new tech inside. I dont need 4 seats anymore so thus my choices are where they are.

It looks like you got a nice deal on your 992- Im at 8% off right now on a 150k build but the M8 CE deal is beyond crazy with the discounts off MSRP, Loyalty, and Flagship monies.

I love choices. Tell me did the M8 feel that much faster than the 992? Id love to hear your impressions.

I have owned 9 Porsche's myself 996 carrera, 996 C4S, 996 TT twice, 996 TTS, 996 TT Cab, 997 TT twice , 997 TT Cab and now 992 C2S

Owned many more M cars than Porsche's

I opted for the C2S over C4S bc 7300 and only diff is awd in 992. In past C4S had the wider body and diff components

I drove both the C4S and C2S and with the engine in the rear never lost traction in C2S and it's slightly lighter. Went for C2S I live in a warm climate

I am/was first in line for 992 Turbo (non S) but after driving the 992 S I honestly couldn't see the point. My 997 TT was tuned and this 992 feels faster. My 996TT were also tuned and way faster than those. Racechip has a piggy for Carrera S/4S if needed, I haven't felt need for more speed yet

It's surprisingly fast imo. Gets up and goes and feels glued to the road. Steering is superb and M8 steering and road feel not like 911 and actually more like a large sedan - Panamera or E63 felt like that to me

The M8 Comp is a nice car but back seat still worthless and driving dynamics felt a Big ZERO like the Porsche

Porsche to me is significantly more fun to drive, tossable, glued down, very comfortable and I love the tech

The M8 Comp feels faster 60-120/130 but not off the line

I wasn't cross shopping them but having owned so many M cars was allowed extended test drive.

I smile every time I drive the Porsche it's just that fun. M8 felt like a massive pig fast straight not glued down, ok steering , if that's your thing great. I was looking for a sports car that's comfortable not a GT that can go fast

No matter how good the deal is on M8 that will no doubt depreciate much greater than the 911 as well

My deal was an anomaly and yours at 8% off is great but likely due to covid. Before covid I wasn't seeing big discounts on 911's
      04-29-2020, 08:22 PM   #27
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I have owned 9 Porsche's myself 996 carrera, 996 C4S, 996 TT twice, 996 TTS, 996 TT Cab, 997 TT twice , 997 TT Cab and now 992 C2S

I opted for the C2S over C4S bc 7300 and only diff is awd in 992. In past C4S had the wider body and diff components

I drove both the C4S and C2S and with the engine in the rear never lost traction in C2S and it's slightly lighter. Went for C2S I live in a warm climate

I am/was first in line for 992 Turbo (non S) but after driving the 992 S I honestly couldn't see the point. My 997 TT was tuned and this 992 feels faster. My 996TT were also tuned and way faster than those. Racechip has a piggy for Carrera S/4S if needed, I haven't felt need for more speed yet

It's surprisingly fast imo. Gets up and goes and feels glued to the road. Steering is superb and M8 steering and road feel not like 911 and actually more like a large sedan - Panamera or E63 felt like that to me

The M8 Comp is a nice car but back seat still worthless and driving dynamics felt a Big ZERO like the Porsche

Porsche to me is significantly more fun to drive, tossable, glued down, very comfortable and I love the tech

I wasn't cross shopping them but having owned so many M cars was allowed extended test drive.

I smile every time I drive the Porsche it's just that fun. M8 felt like a massive pig fast straight not glued down, ok steering , if that's your thing great. I was looking for a sports car that's comfortable not a GT that can go fast

No matter how good the deal is on M8 that will no doubt depreciate much greater than the 911 as well

My deal was an anomaly and yours at 8% off is great but likely due to covid. Before covid I wasn't seeing big discounts on 911's
Thanks for this.... seems we are on similar pages.

I do appreciate the evolution of the Porsche chassis and how the 991.1 and then 991.2 improved over the 997 (had all 3) and now with my reasonable test drive, I can see the 992 has improved over that. 8% was always my deal since Im a regular customer having bought all my cars there but one and have PCNA ties, I have actually not pushed for more during COVID believe it or not because frankly I am not sure I need to get a car right now with other priorities like my familiy and company employees. Its about optics but never the less, Im cross shopping internally and we shall see.

Enjoy the 992.
Appreciate 1
LSM1118.00
      04-30-2020, 06:00 PM   #28
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I do appreciate the evolution of the Porsche chassis and how the 991.1 and then 991.2 improved over the 997 (had all 3) and now with my reasonable test drive, I can see the 992 has improved over that. 8% was always my deal since Im a regular customer having bought all my cars there but one and have PCNA ties, I have actually not pushed for more during COVID believe it or not because frankly I am not sure I need to get a car right now with other priorities like my familiy and company employees. Its about optics but never the less, Im cross shopping internally and we shall see.

Enjoy the 992.
Thank you! Do let us know what you decide!
      04-30-2020, 07:55 PM   #29
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:

Enjoy the 992.
Here here, in addition December should be an amazing time for cars especially if God forbid there's a second wave of covid19 or worse a bad mutation of it.

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 1
LSM1118.00
      04-30-2020, 10:03 PM   #30
ccondo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4 - Ferrari Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
Nice write-up, thanks for sharing. I too have a car obsession. To be brief, I have had four 911s (964, 993, 996, 997 and 991). OK, that's five. And a Boxster. The Boxster is a better driving car (compared to the 991.1, and if equipped with the proper 6 cylinder engine and manual transmission).

I had the pleasure of driving an M8 this past weekend. Awesome car. If I were to buy it today, comparing it to the 911 and Corvette (which I've also owned numerous examples of) there is no question that I'd go with the Bimmer. Of course, the C7 Corvette is half the price, so if money were an object I'd pick the plastic wonder, but since I've BTDT and got tired of it smelling like a model airplane, I'd pick the grown-up car.

I'm curious why you decided against the ceramic brakes, especially since you plan to track it. I'd expect the opposite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
I'm curious why you decided against the ceramic brakes, especially since you plan to track it. I'd expect the opposite.
Even though it is a lease, I sometimes buy them at the end of the lease. My main concern was the cost to replace them.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 10:05 PM   #31
ccondo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracythorne View Post
Congrats on your new ride, and thanks for the write-up. you mentioned that you did a lease on your M4 that you found through auto-trader. i'm assuming it was a new car lease - is that correct? I've always wondered if you could do a lease on a slightly used BMW and if it would be worth it. just curious.
Quote:
Congrats on your new ride, and thanks for the write-up. you mentioned that you did a lease on your M4 that you found through auto-trader. i'm assuming it was a new car lease - is that correct? I've always wondered if you could do a lease on a slightly used BMW and if it would be worth it. just curious.
I have heard that one some cars you can lease used. I believe porsche has info about this on their site but there are limitations. Like I believe the porsche can only be up to 5 model years old.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 10:09 PM   #32
ccondo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
at the risk of taking this thread off on a tangent - (but since so many of you seem to have experience with "competitions") - for those with experience driving competition M5, M6, and M8's - is there an appreciable difference in ride quality between the "competition" and the base M? in the past i flirted with the idea of an M6 competition but was dissuaded by my experience with an AMG Mercedes that had such a harsh ride - i had to give it up.

I happily settled in on an 850gc - and it has a fantastic ride - but just curious for the future.

Thanks!
Quote:
Quote:
at the risk of taking this thread off on a tangent - (but since so many of you seem to have experience with "competitions") - for those with experience driving competition M5, M6, and M8's - is there an appreciable difference in ride quality between the "competition" and the base M? in the past i flirted with the idea of an M6 competition but was dissuaded by my experience with an AMG Mercedes that had such a harsh ride - i had to give it up.

I happily settled in on an 850gc - and it has a fantastic ride - but just curious for the future.

Thanks!
My e92 competition of I had it in sport plus and hit a harsh bump it would feel as if I broke something.

In the M4 sort plus was unusable.

I say save the money and buy a used set of coilovers if you want max performance.

If you want an M car with max comfort in a ride, go non-competition. If you want middle of the road go competition without upgrading. (In my opinion).
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 10:20 PM   #33
ccondo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks!
Quote:

The 992 is a very special car. Just when you thought there wasn't much juice left to squeeze you get squirted in the eye. It illegally is amazing how much they improve each generation of 911.

The comparison came down to me between the two because while I like the Panamera and have owned a Cayanne GTS, if I was dropping that kind of money on a Porsche it would have to be a 911.

Hands down the 911 is the better sports car and track car.

Where I live the only premium car dealers are Porsche, Audi, Jaguar, Mercedes, and BMW. Otherwise I may have looked at other cars.

The M8 was a better fit for me when taking in all factors.
Appreciate 2
LSM1118.00
      04-30-2020, 10:31 PM   #34
ccondo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks!
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

The 992 c4s had better steering feel, was more nimble, and more of a drivers car. You are simply more connected. The M8 has all these things to but the dial on them is turned up to 8 or 9 not a 10 like the 992.

The M8 is a beast of a car the acceleration is like being shot out of a canon. The grip is amazing. It really drives like a smaller lighter car. The turn in is surprisingly fast and the weight seems to disappear. For a car as big and heavy as it is driving backroad switchbacks is surprisingly rewarding and fun. It to me is the perfect GT car. Especially for someone who wants cutting edge technology in their car.
Appreciate 2
LSM1118.00
      04-30-2020, 10:46 PM   #35
ccondo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks!
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I raced my old tuned M4 vs the M8 from a roll and a dig. The AWD kills it. Off the line it is Tesla like. I nailed it from a stop on a damp road and there was no will spin. The weight actually helps with the traction.

On the depreciation the residual % was the close enough to call them the same in both cars. The lease offer was much better (at least for me) from BMW compared to Porsche.

It isn't a massive pig to drive. It just isn't a 911. The power and grip this thigh has on a corner exit is insane.

I posted a video in my article showing it racing a 992. (In a straight line) Not dogging the 992 but the M8 will do the Nuremberg in less than 7:30. The 992 s does it in 7:25. On a track that large that is pretty close to a tie.

My M4 has enough space in it to allow me to bring 4 track wheels and tires, tools and luggage. We will see if I can bring my track wheels and tires in my M8.
Appreciate 2
Vic5518965.50
LSM1118.00
      04-30-2020, 11:25 PM   #36
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

to me comparing M8/850's to 911's is like apples and pineapples

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 1
LSM1118.00
      05-01-2020, 08:55 AM   #37
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccondo View Post
I raced my old tuned M4 vs the M8 from a roll and a dig. The AWD kills it. Off the line it is Tesla like. I nailed it from a stop on a damp road and there was no will spin. The weight actually helps with the traction.

On the depreciation the residual % was the close enough to call them the same in both cars. The lease offer was much better (at least for me) from BMW compared to Porsche.

It isn't a massive pig to drive. It just isn't a 911. The power and grip this thigh has on a corner exit is insane.

I posted a video in my article showing it racing a 992. (In a straight line) Not dogging the 992 but the M8 will do the Nuremberg in less than 7:30. The 992 s does it in 7:25. On a track that large that is pretty close to a tie.

My M4 has enough space in it to allow me to bring 4 track wheels and tires, tools and luggage. We will see if I can bring my track wheels and tires in my M8.
Hey I totally understand why you chose what you did. And this is why Im still cross shopping the cars. Clearly the M8 leases better with a .00118 money factor vs a .00200 at 36 months and the residuals are close but 36/7500 for the C2S its 60 months. Thats still 4 points higher than a 56% 7500 mile M8 lease (yes the 8 series can go with FS to 7500). But the real key is in the discounts; an average Joe can get 15% off on an M8 or even closer to 18% right plus loyalty. These are material adjustments if you lease this car.

And I love that you pointed out that on a BIG track the "lowly" 444 hp 992 runs sub 7:30. I am still waiting for an official M8 time though. Imagine what the 992 does on a smaller one!

Its great to have a wide diversity of choices and wants. Enjoy that badass M8!!
Appreciate 2
ccondo159.50
LSM1118.00
      05-01-2020, 09:34 PM   #38
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
to me comparing M8/850's to 911's is like apples and pineapples
Exactly
      05-01-2020, 09:38 PM   #39
ccondo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Hey I totally understand why you chose what you did. And this is why Im still cross shopping the cars. Clearly the M8 leases better with a .00118 money factor vs a .00200 at 36 months and the residuals are close but 36/7500 for the C2S its 60 months. Thats still 4 points higher than a 56% 7500 mile M8 lease (yes the 8 series can go with FS to 7500). But the real key is in the discounts; an average Joe can get 15% off on an M8 or even closer to 18% right plus loyalty. These are material adjustments if you lease this car.

And I love that you pointed out that on a BIG track the "lowly" 444 hp 992 runs sub 7:30. I am still waiting for an official M8 time though. Imagine what the 992 does on a smaller one!

Quote:

Not trying to turn this into a pissing match. They are both great cars.

This is a comparison between a 992 C2S and a M8 comp. M8 wasn't available 992 C4S had less results.

https://fastestlaps.com/comparisons/gddt48hdu4hf
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 09:45 PM   #40
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

This is a comparison between a 992 C2S and a M8 comp. M8 wasn't available 992 C4S had less results.

The M8 comp sure doesn't feel anything like the 992. M8 is a beast no doubt but handling, steering feel, not so much. It's portly and feels it. GT car that is fast.

Nurburgring which is a long track
M5 comp 1:36 - M8 even slower
992 s 1:25

M8 comp time is worse than the M5 Comp time

Other tracks are long tracks you show are also long tracks. The M8 Comp just doesn't transition like a Porsche.

The 992 is far more nimble ive driven both and you can't convince me the M8 comp comes close to the buttoned down feel, steering and handling of a 992

Big tracks without many turns I could see how the M8 would keep up as there aren't tight turns and long straightaways. More turns and no way will the M8 keep up.Real world they feel nothing alike. MT ran it at laguna seca and ran fastest lap time except against the McClaren Senna in the best drivers car shootout. Carrera S won. Ate up M850i(not same as M8 but destroyed it) and beat amg gt s sedan which consistently turns better lap times than both the M5/M8 on all tracks

Again not fanning the flame I truly love the M8 just doesn't fit with my purposes

And let's remember we are talking about on paper anyway 173hp Advantage for the M8 . And off the line they feel the same. 1/4 mile 992s 11.2 and M8 what 11-11.1 also?

Off the line M8 and 992 feel same. Highway M8 feels faster for sure, but the Porsche is no slouch and actually prefer it bc feels visceral and more fun

I had a 2019 M5 and hated it. Wasn't fun. I know I'm in the minority but liked the M4 comp I had better than the M5. I just like sportier cars better

I stand by my original assertion these cars are best for different tastes and whatever is more important to someone is what they choose.

But the M8 is NOT a 992 is not a M8.

Deprecation wise the M8 comp is a lot more expensive but with larger discounts. In a year from today 2020 m8 comp no matter the big discounts will be worth less and you will lose more dollar and %wise than a 2020 C2S or C4S

My state is bad for leasing so depreciation is even more important to me as I flip my cars and financially not the best move leasing in my state, so I buy here, leased when I lived in CA which is better for leasing in that state (no tax credit)

The M8 Comp is big, it's fast, and it's a badass car, just not fun, IMO, felt same with M5 I owned just no soul. Not fun

Porsche is notorious for giving low residuals even tho the 992 has a higher residual then M8. There's a reason porsche is the most profitable car company ... lease returns car worth more than residual, charge for every single option LOL

Long response so I will end like this. I have been and am a huge fan of M cars, had every modern gen of M5 and M6 multiple times for each gen dating to my first E39 M5 had 2 Z8's and had one M4 comp.

Tech, I actually prefer the tech in the 992. M8 160k car has tech thats identical to every other Bmw.

Enjoy your beast in good health.
      05-02-2020, 06:31 AM   #41
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

I am surprised you went for the M8 compared with the 911 porsche.
Looking from your story I would bet you will take the 911 straight away.

But its great to see that the OP's M8 will hit the track and most importantly it seems that the OP really love his car, and that is all that matters!
CONGRATS!
      05-02-2020, 07:19 AM   #42
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-K View Post
I am surprised you went for the M8 compared with the 911 porsche.
Looking from your story I would bet you will take the 911 straight away.

But its great to see that the OP's M8 will hit the track and most importantly it seems that the OP really love his car, and that is all that matters!
CONGRATS!
Agree, OP does really loves his M8 and isn't that why we buy these cars anyway!
      05-02-2020, 10:20 AM   #43
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

Awesome you can definitely see that power gap assists in those higher speed measures. The short course times are strong for the M8 too thanks for the details.

Having the F90 I know this up top as well. Heck yesterday the roads were wide open and I found myself way over triple digits over and over via a 18 mile stretch. (Mexican Toll Roads-no Corona)
Appreciate 1
ccondo159.50