M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Do you think the new M8 Coupe will crush the Mercedes AMG GT?

03-13-2018, 04:37 PM   #1
bmw4life1239
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

Cool Do you think the new M8 Coupe will crush the Mercedes AMG GT?

Looks pretty damn brilliant to me. BMW doesn't change the concept M cars too much when they hit production.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 04:56 PM   #2
Chris Rocks
Rep
Drives: Box with wheels

As much as I love BMW, not even close. The GT is bred to be a sports car first, the 8 series is a luxury GT first, "sporty" car distant second.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 10:21 PM   #3
TtiMe
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rocks View Post
As much as I love BMW, not even close. The GT is bred to be a sports car first, the 8 series is a luxury GT first, "sporty" car distant second.
Though I do agree, I think the M8 will not have sporty as a distant 2nd, but rather right behind luxury. I do believe the M8 will be faster in accelaration/1/4 mile testing but trail in track testing.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 11:49 AM   #4
AKRAPOVICOWNS
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

Maybe in a straight line, the coupe is squared off at the S63, not the AMG GT.

The M8 GC on the other hand, is aiming at the Panamera and AMG GT 4-door thing.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 03:44 PM   #5
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ...

Too early to say ...
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 08:57 AM   #6
c63er
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rocks View Post
Don't be fooled by the GT name. It is not based on the amg gt but rather the e class chassis. Not a bad thing but it's not a gts with 4 doors. I think of it as as e63s but we have to wait to drive it to see what it adds on top in terms of nimbleness and how the power is dealt with.

We also have 0 frame of reference on how the m8 drives. It may be a continental gt or like an f12 (minus the power and engine), a Lexus sc500 or like a larger 5/m5. We shall have to wait and see.
      03-17-2018, 09:20 AM   #7
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Are you meaning the standard AMG GT Coupe? or that 5dr GT?

The 8. Balances between Gran Turismo and Sports Car in Coupe form.
Practical? Nein.
That is where the Gran Coupe will be for.

After Sport Utility and Crossover Vehicles and Sport activity Coupe's the next growth segment are "practical sports coupes" That is why we are seeing more and more of these concepts for all segments.

There will be a first 2er Gran Coupe plus a second generation of the 4er Gran Coupe (G26) to coexist with the BMWi4. And maybe this time we can expect a "practical" M4 Gran Coupe.
      03-21-2018, 09:38 AM   #8
TtiMe
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Are you meaning the standard AMG GT Coupe? or that 5dr GT?

The 8. Balances between Gran Turismo and Sports Car in Coupe form.
Practical? Nein.
That is where the Gran Coupe will be for.

After Sport Utility and Crossover Vehicles and Sport activity Coupe's the next growth segment are "practical sports coupes" That is why we are seeing more and more of these concepts for all segments.

There will be a first 2er Gran Coupe plus a second generation of the 4er Gran Coupe (G26) to coexist with the BMWi4. And maybe this time we can expect a "practical" M4 Gran Coupe.
I think he and many are talking about the standard amg Gt vs M8. So do you think the M8 will be a lighter, “roided” version of a Nissan GT-R? Obviously nicer interior, exterior and TTV8.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 12:50 PM   #9
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Crush? No. Compete? Maybe.

The AMG-GT, AMG-GTS, and AMG-GTR are all sports cars pure and simple. They were originally planned by Mercedes to compete directly with the Porsche 911 and they actually do that very well, especially considering that the AMG-GT prices have fallen faster than the used 911 market, in terms of price point anyway. Although the AMG-GT models compete with the 911, they are actually much heavier than a 911. The AMG-GT models come in around 3,600lbs where as the 911's are around 3,200-3,300lbs these days. Although, if you have ever driven an AMG-GT with it's engine placed so far behind relative to the front axle, it is actually one of the best handling cars I have ever driven.

So how does that compare to the future M8 then? Well first of all, the M8 Coupe will still be above a 4,000lbs curb weight, because it is based off of the upcoming BMW 8-Series and will be a Gran Touring car first and a sports second as all ///M Cars are. Second, the M8 Coupe will feature the new ///M xDrive system, to sort of negate its weight disadvantage. Third, the M8 Coupe will have usable space for utility where as the AMG-GT and the Porsche 911 do not, because they sacrifice some of that utility for sports car purity.

Now will the M8 Coupe be quick? You better believe it. It will beat the Porsche 911 and the AMG-GT in the 0-60 and 1/4 mile. However, on the race track, the 911 and the AMG-GT will beat the M8 Coupe because those are sports cars.

In terms of the 4-door practical coupe segment goes, that's a different story and Scott26 alluded to some of that already. Audi has confirmed that they are making an RS5 Sportback and will be selling it in the USA, which will basically be a 4-door M4 Coupe.

Now that new AMT-GT 63S 4-Door car is another different story. That car was developed from the AMG-GT Sports car. Meaning the GT 63S was developed from a pure sports car chassis and so will be lighter and with less utility even though it will have 4 doors. Mercedes AMG has even announced that there will be no CLS63 for this brand new CLS generation. Instead there will only be a CLS43 and a CLS53 I think. The AMG-GT 63S will take over where the CLS53 leaves off and offer a true 4-door coupe like sports car.

The M8 Gran Coupe. This will basically be just another M6 Gran Coupe, but with ///M xDrive this time. BMW isn't really making the 8-Series, ///M8, or ///M Gran Coupe different enough in terms of actual size compared to the F12/F13/F06 6-Series to be considered something completely different. Nor are they making engine choices different enough to relate back to the original 8-Series by offering a V12. So we are just basically getting another GT Sports Car and GT 4-door Coupe again from BMW without them either trying to make the new 8-Series an actual sports car, or making it a more grand GT car (like the Mercedes S-Class Coupe). The biggest thing that will be different about the M8 and M8 Gran Coupe is that they will feature the new design direction for BMW in the future. As we have already seen with the concept car, the M8 Gran Coupe will look nothing like the F90 M5.

So yeah, in the end BMW still leaves us with no true sports car to compete with the 911 nor the AMG-GT, nor a basically new segment that AMG has pretty much invented that of the 4-door pure sports car (although one could argue that the Porsche Panamera kind of tried to do this already.)

In the end however, who cares. Competition is good for the consumers. If you want a sportier car that can handle on the track with 4-doors and big power then go buy the AMG-GT 63S, but if you want a quick car that can also handle on the track, but offer more luxury, comfort, and utility of a GT car, then the M8 Gran Coupe is for you.

I'm personally looking forward to the M8 Coupe, as I already own a 4-Door Sports Sedan. Although not a true sports car, I appreciate the practicality of a true GT car that the 6-Series and 8-Series has always been.

Last edited by RPiM5; 03-23-2018 at 11:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 01:01 PM   #10
TtiMe
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Crush? No. Compete? Maybe.

The AMG-GT, AMG-GTS, and AMG-GTR are all sports cars pure and simple. They were originally planned by Mercedes to compete directly with the Porsche 911 and they actually do that very well, especially considering that the AMG-GT prices have fallen faster than the used 911 market, in terms of price point anyway. Although the AMG-GT models compete with the 911, they are actually much heavier than a 911. The AMG-GT models come in around 3,600lbs where as the 911's are around 3,200-3,300lbs these days. Although, if you have ever driven an AMG-GT with it's engine placed so far behind relative to the front axle, it is actually one of the best handling cars I have ever driven.

So how does that compare to the future M8 then? Well first of all, the M8 Coupe will still be above a 4,000lbs curb weight, because it is based off of the upcoming BMW 8-Series and will be a Gran Touring car first and a sports second as all ///M Cars are. Second, the M8 Coupe will feature the new ///M xDrive system, to sort of negate its weight disadvantage. Third, the M8 Coupe will have usable space for utility where as the AMG-GT and the Porsche 911 do not, because they sacrifice some of that utility for sports car purity.

Now will the M8 Coupe be quick? You better believe it. It will beat the Porsche 911 and the AMG-GT in the 0-60 and 1/4 mile. However, on the race track, the 911 and the AMG-GT will beat the M8 Coupe because those are sports cars.

In terms of the 4-door practical coupe segment goes, that's a different story and Scott26 alluded to some of that already. Audi has confirmed that they are making an RS5 Sportback and will be selling it in the USA, which will basically be a 4-door M4 Coupe.

Now that new AMT-GT 63S 4-Door car is another different story. That car was developed from the AMG-GT Sports car. Meaning the GT 63S was developed from a pure sports car chassis and so will be lighter and with less utility even though it will have 4 doors. Mercedes AMG has even announced that there will be no CLS63 for this brand new CLS generation. Instead there will only be a CLS43 and a CLS53 I think. The AMG-GT 63S will take over where the CLS53 leaves off and offer a true 4-door coupe like sports car.

The M8 Gran Coupe. This will basically be just another M6 Gran Coupe, but with ///M xDrive this time. BMW isn't really making the 8-Series, ///M8, or ///M Gran Coupe different enough in terms of actual size compared to the F12/F13/F06 6-Series to be considered something completely different. Nor are they making engine choices different enough to relate back to the original 8-Series by offering a V12. So we are just basically getting another GT Sports Car and GT 4-door Coupe again from BMW without them either trying to make the new 8-Series an actual sports car, or making it a more grand GT car (like the Mercedes S-Class Coupe). The biggest thing that will be different about the M8 and M8 Gran Coupe is that they will feature the new design direction for BMW in the future. As we have already seen with the concept car, the M8 Gran Coupe will look nothing like the F90 M5.

So yeah, in the end BMW still leaves us with no true sports car to compete with the 911 nor the AMG-GT, nor a basically new segment that AMG has pretty much invented that of the 4-door pure sports car (although one could argue that the Porsche Panamera kind of tried to do this already, but if you examine the curb weight of the AMG-GT 63S you find it's much lighter than even the new Panamera)

In the end however, who cares. Competition is good for the consumers. If you want a sportier car that can handle on the track with 4-doors and big power then go buy the AMG-GT 63S, but if you want a quick car that can also handle on the track, but offer more luxury, comfort, and utility of a GT car, then the M8 Gran Coupe is for you.

I'm personally looking forward to the M8 Coupe, as I already own a 4-Door Sports Sedan. Although not a true sports car, I appreciate the practicality of a true GT car that the 6-Series and 8-Series has always been.
I agree with most of that, but will point out only the AMG GTR weighs sub 3700 (about 3650) the GTS weighs 3800 or so depending on options. According to someone on this site (I believe an “insider”) the M8 will weight sub 4K. Like you I prefer the practicality of the M8, I can use its acceleration far more then the sports cars track ability!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 03:14 PM   #11
thermalc
Private
Rep
Drives: m4

The AMG GT63 is actually based off the E class. The GT designation for that car is purely marketing.

It will compete directly with the M8 Gran coupe but I suspect the M8 will out perform it in every category considering it will be much lighter.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 12:49 AM   #12
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermalc View Post
The AMG GT63 is actually based off the E class. The GT designation for that car is purely marketing.

It will compete directly with the M8 Gran coupe but I suspect the M8 will out perform it in every category considering it will be much lighter.
Yeah, there is no CLS63 this generation because it would be identical to the GT 4 door. The GT 4 door will be +- 100lbs of the E63 sedan and has the front transmission and 4wd system from the E63.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 09:58 PM   #13
sugaki
Rep
Drives: E34 M5

The M8 coupe will be quicker than the AMG only with brute power, not weight or dynamics. Given its OKL platform I'm guessing it'll be around 4000 lbs, 0-60 in the lower 3s. It's not a dedicated sports car platform like the AMG, and at best is a sportier G30 M5 by my guess.

M8 Gran Coupe on the other hand may be better all-round than the GT 4dr--as others said it's really a new CLS (don't think it deserves the name AMG GT). At ~4500 lbs it's pretty heavy, the M8 will probably be hundreds of pounds less.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 11:46 PM   #14
TtiMe
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugaki View Post
The M8 coupe will be quicker than the AMG only with brute power, not weight or dynamics. Given its OKL platform I'm guessing it'll be around 4000 lbs, 0-60 in the lower 3s. It's not a dedicated sports car platform like the AMG, and at best is a sportier G30 M5 by my guess.

M8 Gran Coupe on the other hand may be better all-round than the GT 4dr--as others said it's really a new CLS (don't think it deserves the name AMG GT). At ~4500 lbs it's pretty heavy, the M8 will probably be hundreds of pounds less.
Seeing how the M5 has already been tested 0-60 in high 2’s, I’d expect this “halo” coupe, which will be lighter and have better balance, and possibly more power to be in the mid 2’s. I would agree it’s not expected to be like the amg as a dedicated sports car platform, however the M8 is being built alongside the M8 gte so I would expect some nice performance cross over there. Very similar to what corvette has done with their race team.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 11:41 PM   #15
sugaki
Rep
Drives: E34 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TtiMe View Post
Seeing how the M5 has already been tested 0-60 in high 2’s, I’d expect this “halo” coupe, which will be lighter and have better balance, and possibly more power to be in the mid 2’s. I would agree it’s not expected to be like the amg as a dedicated sports car platform, however the M8 is being built alongside the M8 gte so I would expect some nice performance cross over there. Very similar to what corvette has done with their race team.
Power wise we'd probably see numbers similar to the upcoming F90 M5 Competition Package (616hp the number thrown around?). For balance sedans typically have slightly better weight dist., at cost of a bit of weight, and I'm more intrigued by the M8 GC (since the current 6er GC is so great).
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 12:04 AM   #16
TtiMe
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugaki View Post
Power wise we'd probably see numbers similar to the upcoming F90 M5 Competition Package (616hp the number thrown around?). For balance sedans typically have slightly better weight dist., at cost of a bit of weight, and I'm more intrigued by the M8 GC (since the current 6er GC is so great).
I’ve seen the same number floated around 615-625. Sedans do tend to have more equal distribution however according to reports here, the M8 coupe at least will be a transaxle, so there should be a good chance of near equal balance. I’m more in to the coupe then the GC but damn that GC looks good!! I would love to see them do a bit more hardcore M8 CS or GTS edition.
Appreciate 0