M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion iDrive Upgrade To 07/2020

01-13-2021, 08:27 PM   #155
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
I had an odd experience on a drive today in which the valves apparently did not open whatsoever in my Sport Individual setting (engine on Sport Plus). I actually had the B&W turned off as I was doing some testing for a different thread (the OP has an issue with low-level noise coming from the speakers) so the lack of burbles/gurgles was very apparent. It was like I had the car in Comfort mode. For a brief moment in time while I was doing my grocery shopping I thought that somehow the 07/2020.60 upgrade had a latent aspect on the exhaust. However, on the drive home I shifted to Sport Plus and drove the car hard which opened the valves. I then shifted back to my Sport Individual setting and the expected gurgles/burbles where back on demand (downshifts when letting off the gas, etc.). Also, as normal after parking in the garage I did a 4K RPM throttle which elicited cracks and pops.

This hopefully is a one time event but regardless it might also explain why post neutering everyone's mileage may vary. In other words if the exhaust valves do not open for whatever reason you might as well be in Comfort mode. Granted the early 2019 M850is burbled/gurgled even in Comfort mode but that never existed on my 2020 M850i whatsoever.
Wow, I am so glad I safeguarded my ECU from this insanity thanks to this forum. I still don't understand why this is even happening? I don't buy the its ok for M8's and not for M850's to snap crackle and pop, and again, if it's a noise regulation issue both the M8 and M850s would be neutered. Can we name a spokesperson from here with an affected vehicle to contact BMW USA and try to get some definitive answers? Bloozes are you up for the task?

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible

Last edited by RJC-1; 01-13-2021 at 08:38 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2021, 09:43 AM   #156
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
I had an odd experience on a drive today in which the valves apparently did not open whatsoever in my Sport Individual setting (engine on Sport Plus). I actually had the B&W turned off as I was doing some testing for a different thread (the OP has an issue with low-level noise coming from the speakers) so the lack of burbles/gurgles was very apparent. It was like I had the car in Comfort mode. For a brief moment in time while I was doing my grocery shopping I thought that somehow the 07/2020.60 upgrade had a latent aspect on the exhaust. However, on the drive home I shifted to Sport Plus and drove the car hard which opened the valves. I then shifted back to my Sport Individual setting and the expected gurgles/burbles where back on demand (downshifts when letting off the gas, etc.). Also, as normal after parking in the garage I did a 4K RPM throttle which elicited cracks and pops.

This hopefully is a one time event but regardless it might also explain why post neutering everyone's mileage may vary. In other words if the exhaust valves do not open for whatever reason you might as well be in Comfort mode. Granted the early 2019 M850is burbled/gurgled even in Comfort mode but that never existed on my 2020 M850i whatsoever.
Yep, that sounds familiar since I coded the fake noises off.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 11:09 PM   #157
likegadgets
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M850i

Quote:
Originally Posted by likegadgets View Post
I did not have the brake on. Did that with the car on park and engine off. Nothing happened immediately. Rebooted - no progress. I will let the car stand tonight with the brake on and see if it takes. I checked, and there are no notifications. Thanks all for the tips
Update: after a short drive, I parked turned engine off and set brake. Message changed to something like I I had to wait until ending cooled down, about 30 minutes, and then update would start when I open car again. A couple of hours later I tried, but message is back as before. Still stuck there. Probably requires a visit to dealer which is difficult given COVID at this time. I can live without the update for now
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 08:36 PM   #158
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
Wow, I am so glad I safeguarded my ECU from this insanity thanks to this forum. I still don't understand why this is even happening? I don't buy the its ok for M8's and not for M850's to snap crackle and pop, and again, if it's a noise regulation issue both the M8 and M850s would be neutered. Can we name a spokesperson from here with an affected vehicle to contact BMW USA and try to get some definitive answers? Bloozes are you up for the task?
I'm up for the task but BMWNA are likely already considering me a "Karen" after my absolute onslaught regarding ZDX vs ZDA. At the end of the day they did cry mea culpa and eradicated ZDX from the configurator.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 08:40 PM   #159
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'm up for the task but BMWNA are likely already considering me a "Karen" after my absolute onslaught regarding ZDX vs ZDA. At the end of the day they did cry mea culpa and eradicated ZDX from the configurator.
Lol.
I also forgot they programmed your ecu to start the cylinder deactivation countdown if you don't behave!

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 08:44 PM   #160
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
Apologies if what I stated wasn't clear but I was not referring to the fabricated engine noise but rather the real world exhaust. The irony being the same situation happened today. I'm not sure if the change in weather (we're in the 50s now in the morning) plays a factor but I once again had to switch to Sport Plus to open the exhaust valves and then switched back to Sport Individual (engine on Sport Plus). Once back in Sport Individual the burbles/gurgles plus cracks/pops with engine revs were all back in play.
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2021, 09:49 PM   #161
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Quote:
Apologies if what I stated wasn't clear but I was not referring to the fabricated engine noise but rather the real world exhaust. The irony being the same situation happened today. I'm not sure if the change in weather (we're in the 50s now in the morning) plays a factor but I once again had to switch to Sport Plus to open the exhaust valves and then switched back to Sport Individual (engine on Sport Plus). Once back in Sport Individual the burbles/gurgles plus cracks/pops with engine revs were all back in play.
gotcha. well I noticed 2 big differences from 2018 software to the 07. 2020 new one.
First, when parked it won't let me rev above 4000 rpm
Second, in launch mode it won't let me adjust rpm to launch.

2 more downgrades.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 10:01 PM   #162
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
gotcha. well I noticed 2 big differences from 2018 software to the 07. 2020 new one.
First, when parked it won't let me rev above 4000 rpm
Second, in launch mode it won't let me adjust rpm to launch.

2 more downgrades.
The hits keep coming - sigh

Appreciate 1
      01-15-2021, 10:16 PM   #163
likegadgets
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M850i

Quote:
Originally Posted by likegadgets View Post
Update: after a short drive, I parked turned engine off and set brake. Message changed to something like I I had to wait until ending cooled down, about 30 minutes, and then update would start when I open car again. A couple of hours later I tried, but message is back as before. Still stuck there. Probably requires a visit to dealer which is difficult given COVID at this time. I can live without the update for now
Success at last - this afternoon it asked to update. It did.
It took about 4 days....
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2021, 11:00 PM   #164
BeeMdblU
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86, F25, G16

Quote:
At lower temperatures Burbles and pops take some time to activate, Also I'm pretty sure the settings in Idrive controls the exhaust flaps not sure if it controls fake sound as well since I have mine coded off.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 01:24 PM   #165
rb555
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850I convertible

I just upgraded to 07/2020.80 the other day, no issues at all everything went fine. I think I still have all the snap, crackles and pop's. I'm going for a cruise today and double check.
      01-17-2021, 04:35 PM   #166
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb555 View Post
I just upgraded to 07/2020.80 the other day, no issues at all everything went fine. I think I still have all the snap, crackles and pop's. I'm going for a cruise today and double check.
M8 or M850?

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 04:56 PM   #167
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
M8 or M850?
Based on his sig looks like a 2019 M850i convertible. 07/2020 will definitely leave the majority of the original burbles/gurgles and cracks/pops in Sport Plus with the primary reduction in Sport.

My car landed with 07/2019.55 and was upgraded by the dealer to 11/2019.55 within a month of owning it. I basically drove in Sport 100% of the time but via Sport Individual with everything on Sport minus the suspension on Comfort. When I was commuting to the office prior to the COVID-19 lockdown it had plenty of burbles/gurgles. The difference hit with the OTA upgrade to 11/2019.70 (a 2020 update) last June as it drastically reduced Sport. My "work around" was to set the Engine on Sport Plus within Sport Individual and things were pretty much back to normal. There was no change that I could tell between 11/2019.70 and my 07/2020.60.

Last edited by bloozemanAZ; 01-17-2021 at 06:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 06:59 PM   #168
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
M8 or M850?
Based on his sig looks like a 2019 M850i convertible. 07/2020 will definitely leave the majority of the original burbles/gurgles and cracks/pops in Sport Plus with the primary reduction in Sport.

My car landed with 07/2019.55 and was upgraded by the dealer to 11/2019.55 within a month of owning it. I basically drove in Sport 100% of the time but via Sport Individual with everything on Sport minus the suspension on Comfort. When I was commuting to the office prior to the COVID-19 lockdown it had plenty of burbles/gurgles. The difference hit with the OTA upgrade to 11/2019.70 (a 2020 update) last June as it drastically reduced Sport. My "work around" was to set the Engine on Sport Plus within Sport Individual and things were pretty much back to normal. There was no change that I could tell between 11/2019.70 and my 07/2020.60.
Thanks I'm mobile so I couldn't tell

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 08:14 PM   #169
rb555
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

It is a 2019 M850i. Went for a cruise this afternoon and it pretty much has the same pop's. And I also have engine set to "sport plus" in the Sport Individual setting.

Naturally it sounds better in the summer with the top down.
      01-17-2021, 08:27 PM   #170
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It is a 2019 M850i. Went for a cruise this afternoon and it pretty much has the same pop's. And I also have engine set to "sport plus" in the Sport Individual setting.

Any change in sport or comfort?

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 08:34 PM   #171
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

That is the "fix" to the neutering as Sport got hit but Sport Plus did not. The difference being is that in full Sport Plus the transmission is too over aggressive for daily driving. However, with Sport Individual set at steering and transmission on Sport and the engine on Sport Plus one ends up with the best of the two worlds with the burbles/gurgles and cracks/pops still in play.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 09:02 PM   #172
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Granted I never spent any time on my commutes with the initial iDrive releases in Comfort I'd say it has to have been impacted given Sport clearly has been. From an outside in view if BMW is addressing the exhaust regulations in various states (capped at 70 dBA) then they will target Comfort and Sport vs Sport Plus as 90% of the population will live in the former options vs the latter.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 05:31 AM   #173
rb555
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Really didn't notice any change in comfort mode. And I typically, don't use Sport mode. I only use "Eco" just to see the gauge highlights change to blue.

I'm still very happy with this machine.