M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Remote/Cold Start on M8 Setting off Alarms

01-14-2021, 06:51 AM   #1
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Remote/Cold Start on M8 Setting off Alarms

Has anyone else had this issue? I've had the car for 2 weeks now, have used remote start maybe 10 times, and on 3 occasions so far, it has set off the alarm on my X7 sitting about 4 feet away. It doesn't actually happen until the car lowers the idle after a minute or so, so I'm guessing it's just the lower frequency that's starting to rattle the glass a little too much in the X7.

On the previous two occasions I figured it was me fumbling the keys in my pocket or something, but today I used the app to start the car and the keys were a good 50+ feet away from the car and further from me, so not the case here. I had an M3 prior to the M8, and didn't have an issue, but the 8 is obviously going to be a throatier/lower note. Of course, the M3 didn't have remote start, just a cold manual start in a similar situation there, so I suppose the other possibility might be a radio signal interfering after the car starts up (thought that seems less likely).

I find it more amusing than annoying, but was just wondering if I'm alone.

Last edited by unfoundnemo; 01-14-2021 at 10:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 09:41 AM   #2
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfoundnemo View Post
Has anyone else had this issue? I've had the car for 2 weeks now, have used remote start maybe 10 times, and on 3 occasions so far, it has set off the alarm on my X7 sitting about 4 feet away. It doesn't actually happen until the car lowers the idle after a minute or so, so I'm guessing it's just the lower frequency that's starting to rattle the glass a little too much in the X7.

On the previous two occasions I figured it was me fumbling the keys in my pocket or something, but today I used the app to start the car and the keys were a good 50+ feet away from the car and further from me, so not the case here. I had an M3 prior to the M8, and didn't have an issue, but the 8 is obviously going to be a throatier/lower note. Of course, the M3 didn't have remote start, just a cold manual start in a similar situation there, so I suppose the other possibility might be a radio signal interfering after the car starts up (thought that seems less likely).

I find it more amusing than annoying, but was just wondering if I'm alone.
We are in the market for an x5 or x7; but we don't have one yet. We do have 6 other cars parked in the garage next to my m850i on cold start and I remote start it almost every week. It hasn't set off the alarms on any other vehicles yet for us.
Appreciate 0