M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Offline almost a week!

08-14-2023, 06:09 PM   #1
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Offline almost a week!

My 8 series has been offline almost a week. Anything requiring the car to be 'connected' is not working. No spotify for example and the weather app does not show temperatures.

I did the soft reboot of ID7 by holding the volume for 60 seconds (2 reboots), but that didn't help.

Is anyone else experiencing an outage? I know it's not uncommon for BMW to have server issues, but being completely offline for a week is getting to be a bit much.

edit: I called BMW Connected services who can only seem to provide the assistance of 'hold the volume button for a minute'. The guy said there is no known network issues so he's opening a case number now which will take another few days for someone to look at.

Rob

Last edited by Rob_G77; 08-14-2023 at 06:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 07:19 PM   #2
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Never seen issues like that before. It won't be "server" related or you would expect to see many reports across the board. What may be an issue is the cars hardware that it uses for reaching out.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 02:46 PM   #3
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
Never seen issues like that before. It won't be "server" related or you would expect to see many reports across the board. What may be an issue is the cars hardware that it uses for reaching out.
That's true. It's just more headache from this car I guess and it doesn't stop.

I'm going to stop by the dealership today if my car is still 'offline'.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 04:06 PM   #4
Ducks91
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW M8 Competition

Haven't checked what items are in the fuse box but maybe check if there is one for data connection and make sure its not blown. I am assuming the connected services person would've looked this up but make sure your data services haven't expired, I just checked in my BMW App it looks like it comes with 3 years of service.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 05:20 PM   #5
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks91 View Post
Haven't checked what items are in the fuse box but maybe check if there is one for data connection and make sure its not blown. I am assuming the connected services person would've looked this up but make sure your data services haven't expired, I just checked in my BMW App it looks like it comes with 3 years of service.
I checked and my services are all valid until 2026. I visited the dealership today and they said a number of their clients are having issues. I'm not sure I trust the answer, but there isn't much else I can do at the moment. I'll give it a few more days. It could be something on the local phone network?

Rob
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 05:33 PM   #6
Ducks91
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G77 View Post
I checked and my services are all valid until 2026. I visited the dealership today and they said a number of their clients are having issues. I'm not sure I trust the answer, but there isn't much else I can do at the moment. I'll give it a few more days. It could be something on the local phone network?

Rob
Def sounds sketch especially considering the outage for you has been almost a week. I'd understand a few hours maybe a day but for service to be down for almost a week would mean peoples cell phones not working as well. Hopefully it gets resolved sooner than later.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 06:44 PM   #7
Ducks91
United_States
Rep

Not sure if you've had any luck but I did find something that may be of help. I logged into myBMW account from a web browser and it shows the status of remote connection as well as mobile network connection. Might be something to check out.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 07:21 PM   #8
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Had that happen once on my wife's old X5 with iD6. Reboot of iD6 didn't do it but nuking the car from the app, nuking the app, rebooting the cellphone, reinstalling the app and then reconnecting to the X5 solved it.

The only issue I had with iD7 on the M850i was some flaky bug after updating my password. The app still worked but the GPS location failed along with remote starting. Turned out some poor coding on BMW's part that although they supported an "*" in the password for a special character once I changed it to a "#" it all started working again. This was 2 years back and I change all passwords annually but have stuck with a "#" for the special character for BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 01:53 AM   #9
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Over in the X5 forum, there is a thread reporting there is a Canada wide outage for BMW Connected services.

Rob
Appreciate 2
JRHolt39.00