M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion M850ix Software Update - A Tragedy in Multiple Acts

06-24-2020, 08:05 AM   #155
delcara
Rep
Drives: 535d>M3>640i>M5>M4 > m850i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
my m850i predates the drive recorder, so I can't get it either.
I will bet you £100 that, if you get your software updated, you can get it

I think my car is a really early build and I have it (eventually). On the phone one person at connected drive (who I don’t believe) told me “your car is on the cusp of what can get iDrive 7 so you won’t be able to get Spotify”. Another person said “the hardware in all the cars is the same, it’s just software that needs updating”.

I now have the drive recorder. And Spotify. And the thing that pulses your interior lighting and warms your seats and plays relaxing music so you can get to sleep while on the motorway.
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2020, 09:41 AM   #156
msm2000uk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M850i

Quote:
Originally Posted by delcara View Post

I think my car is a really early build and I have it (eventually). On the phone one person at connected drive (who I don’t believe) told me “your car is on the cusp of what can get iDrive 7 so you won’t be able to get Spotify”. Another person said “the hardware in all the cars is the same, it’s just software that needs updating”.

I now have the drive recorder. And Spotify. And the thing that pulses your interior lighting and warms your seats and plays relaxing music so you can get to sleep while on the motorway.
My car goes into the dealer tomorrow morning, so I'll be able to update on this one as my build was 2018.

So, in around 24 hours time, we'll know the answer!

M
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 04:25 PM   #157
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Quote:
my m850i predates the drive recorder, so I can't get it either.

I'll bet you're probably right. I'm running 11.2018.34 software version and I'm not upgrading anytime soon!

using my vin, my production date is 5/16/19 and I bought it in June 2019. The camera recall forced me to update to 11.2019.34 in or around late December 2019.

Prod. Date 2019-05-16

I actually see something in my connected drive on my desktop login website. but nothing in my car or on my phone app. it says I can try it free for 1 month. i haven't clicked it yet. so i have 3 questions.

if i click it will it work?
2. is it worth the risk to update software?
3. how much does the drive recorder cost in US $ for how long?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 06:53 PM   #158
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

Quote:
if i click it will it work?
2. is it worth the risk to update software?
3. how much does the drive recorder cost in US $ for how long?
Suddenly seeing in ConnectedDrive online that Drive Recorder was available for my car was the impetus for me to take a deep breath and update my own software. As to your queries:

1. It will work (should work), but only after you separately download the app into your car's library of apps. If it's not there now, you almost certainly have to get the dealership to update your software with the latest version.

2. Updating the software at the dealership might add Drive Recorder and other new apps to your in-car library. It also might blow out most of your settings, delete most of the apps in your car, and override most of the coding, if you had any done.

But...if that happens and you follow my instructions above (June 20 at 12:09 p.m.) regarding "Reset Vehicle Data," all of your previous apps and several additional apps - including Drive Recorder - should appear in the car.

3. Best I can recall, you can buy it by the month, the year or, with a significant discount, for three years. After determining that it actually did work and in an unearned burst of confidence in BMW software, I sprung for the three-year sub at $99 plus tax.
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2020, 07:26 PM   #159
produhktiv
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 M850i First Edition

Garage List
2021 X5 M50i  [0.00]
2019 M850i  [0.00]
I can confirm the with the 03/2020.40 update (I had to pay the dealer one hour labor to install it) gave me Spotify immediately upon picking it up (which is huge for me.) It also GREATLY improved my sound quality of the B&W.

I did NOT have drive recorder at that point. I then did the forced update (Engine on, hold Vol. button for exactly 70 seconds, then go to apps and press option, then choose update) then Drive Recorder showed up. Paid the $99 for 3 years (since lease) and it showed up immediately in the car. Tested it today and it works great. Note that Connect App Store only takes Visa/MC, no Amex.

What I did lose in the process was not settings, but my car now shows up on the over head view as a 4 door (white) AND I have a gray line down the middle of my backup camera. Waiting for 07/2020 update to go back and have them fix those issues.

Reminder I have a 4/19 build First Edition coupe.
Appreciate 2
      06-24-2020, 08:21 PM   #160
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by produhktiv View Post
I can confirm the with the 03/2020.40 update (I had to pay the dealer one hour labor to install it) gave me Spotify immediately upon picking it up (which is huge for me.) It also GREATLY improved my sound quality of the B&W.

I did NOT have drive recorder at that point. I then did the forced update (Engine on, hold Vol. button for exactly 70 seconds, then go to apps and press option, then choose update) then Drive Recorder showed up. Paid the $99 for 3 years (since lease) and it showed up immediately in the car. Tested it today and it works great. Note that Connect App Store only takes Visa/MC, no Amex.

What I did lose in the process was not settings, but my car now shows up on the over head view as a 4 door (white) AND I have a gray line down the middle of my backup camera. Waiting for 07/2020 update to go back and have them fix those issues.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 09:34 PM   #161
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by produhktiv View Post

The push and hold the volume button for 70 seconds reboots the iDrive unit. I've did it a couple of times back in December when I was having Connected Drive connectivity issues but to no avail as that tied back to BMW F'ing up some special characters in the password scheme. FYI it will trigger all apps to be downloaded again so hence the Drive Recorder showing up. If memory serves correctly you can also do the iDrive reboot with the engine off.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 11:55 AM   #162
msm2000uk
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by msm2000uk View Post
My car goes into the dealer tomorrow morning, so I'll be able to update on this one as my build was 2018.

So, in around 24 hours time, we'll know the answer!

M
So I'm officially on the Cool Kids Table.

03.2020.58 update now running! Wahoo! Massive thanks to delcara for all his help on this.

Drive Recorder shows as available, so I'll pay for that a bit later and try it out.

All my coding is gone (Bimmercode OBD port thing arrives on Monday), and my tuning map is gone (being reinstalled on Tuesday). Neither are surprising, but I've also not good Spotify. I wonder if it only works for those running Apple CarPlay?

One other curiosity, was that Android Auto started running when the car switched on, so clearly it identifies there's an Android Auto signal, but BMW haven't opened it up yet.

M
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2020, 12:17 PM   #163
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So I'm officially on the Cool Kids Table.

03.2020.58 update now running! Wahoo! Massive thanks to delcara for all his help on this.

Drive Recorder shows as available, so I'll pay for that a bit later and try it out.

All my coding is gone (Bimmercode OBD port thing arrives on Monday), and my tuning map is gone (being reinstalled on Tuesday). Neither are surprising, but I've also not good Spotify. I wonder if it only works for those running Apple CarPlay?

One other curiosity, was that Android Auto started running when the car switched on, so clearly it identifies there's an Android Auto signal, but BMW haven't opened it up yet.

M
Now that your software is up to date, Spotify and a few other goodies might show up if you do the "Reset Vehicle Data" tap dance. I mapped it out a page or two above.

I'd give that a try before restoring your settings and coding.

Last edited by redhot47fla; 06-25-2020 at 12:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 12:23 PM   #164
delcara
Rep

Spotify / Deezer etc. don’t appear as apps - they’re under ConnectedMusic under the Media bit. If you’re signed in to Deezer, if you sign out (go to anywhere where you can play music and press option by the iDrive knob) then you can then sign in to Spotify.

To the other chap with the 2018 software - get it updated to March 2020 - haven’t had any problems at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot47fla View Post
Now that your software is up to date, Spotify and a few other goodies might show up if you follow my instructions above (June 20 at 12:09 p.m.) regarding "Reset Vehicle Data."

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 12:25 PM   #165
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Spotify / Deezer etc. don’t appear as apps - they’re under ConnectedMusic under the Media bit. If you’re signed in to Deezer, if you sign out (go to anywhere where you can play music and press option by the iDrive knob) then you can then sign in to Spotify.

To the other chap with the 2018 software - get it updated to March 2020 - haven’t had any problems at all.
Upon further review, you are correct.

At this point, never mind re that reset.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 12:34 PM   #166
msm2000uk
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Now that your software is up to date, Spotify and a few other goodies might show up if you do the "Reset Vehicle Data" tap dance. I mapped it out a page or two above.

Ah hadn't checked there - will have a look in the morning.

First thing I did when I got into the car was the Reset Vehicle Data, and Caring Car and Experiences now show too (someone will let me know when they work out the point of them!).

M
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 12:36 PM   #167
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
First thing I did when I got into the car was the Reset Vehicle Data, and Caring Car and Experiences now show too (someone will let me know when they work out the point of them!).

M
Good re Reset Vehicle Data, glad it produced a couple of new toys. And, yes, I have no idea what they achieve, other than to make my wife roll her eyes (again).

See Delcara's most recent reply regarding where to look for Spotify.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 04:27 PM   #168
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Ah hadn't checked there - will have a look in the morning.

M
theoretically they are designed to help on long trips. but without massaging seats, they are kinda pointless.

Mercedes was the first to offer and once Tesla copied it, BMW had no choice but to do the software too. it's silly though.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 04:51 PM   #169
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
theoretically they are designed to help on long trips. but without massaging seats, they are kinda pointless.

Mercedes was the first to offer and once Tesla copied it, BMW had no choice but to do the software too. it's silly though.
I'm not sure if into Caring Car, Full Driving Assistance or the Navigation system but on the drive to SD and back at roughly 3 hours I was prompted a suggested "break" which included 3 menu items, "snooze", coffee shop search or "don't remind me again". I'm going from memory here so "snooze" or coffee shop search may not be the exact choices but they were the functionality presented.
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2020, 05:13 PM   #170
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Quote:

I'm not sure if into Caring Car, Full Driving Assistance or the Navigation system but on the drive to SD and back at roughly 3 hours I was prompted a suggested "break" which included 3 menu items, "snooze", coffee shop search or "don't remind me again". I'm going from memory here so "snooze" or coffee shop search may not be the exact choices but they were the functionality presented.
I think there is a "driver intervention setting" somewhere in the settings that cam alter if or how often it prompts you to take "a break"; but I don't know.

I've never been in the car for over 3 hours, so it's good to know the options work!!
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2020, 03:06 AM   #171
msm2000uk
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Is it me, or has the rear camera image become strangely narrow on the 03.2020 update?
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2020, 10:03 AM   #172
delcara
Rep

Yes. It has. It's irritating.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 04:04 PM   #173
Azlar
Private
England
Rep
Drives: M8C

I had mine done today.

Is there something going on with the audible warning when reversing/parking etc. Mine just keep switching off. The beep for a few seconds then 'silence'. If on the screen I tick the box for reversing assistant, it highlights but when I start to reverse it just unticks the box and greys out the option.

I did the reset but still it seems to do the same. Also seems like the sensors are far 'weaker' now, before when the constant bleep was on there was still maybe a foot or 2 left, now there is only a couple of inches.

Another thing that has started to happen recently ( before the update too ) is the steering column no longer comes down to my preferred driving position and when I try to lower it manually it only goes a very small amount, thus I have to make 10+ small movements to get it to the bottom position whereas before I could just hold the lever down and it would be 1 smooth movement.

I do however now have the option to buy driver recorder.
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2020, 07:58 AM   #174
delcara
Rep

I’ve not had any of those problems. What version of the software are you on?

Those things sound all sorts of irritating. Have you done the “reset car settings” thing (or restore factory defaults, I forget what it’s called)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlar View Post
I had mine done today.

Is there something going on with the audible warning when reversing/parking etc. Mine just keep switching off. The beep for a few seconds then 'silence'. If on the screen I tick the box for reversing assistant, it highlights but when I start to reverse it just unticks the box and greys out the option.

I did the reset but still it seems to do the same. Also seems like the sensors are far 'weaker' now, before when the constant bleep was on there was still maybe a foot or 2 left, now there is only a couple of inches.

Another thing that has started to happen recently ( before the update too ) is the steering column no longer comes down to my preferred driving position and when I try to lower it manually it only goes a very small amount, thus I have to make 10+ small movements to get it to the bottom position whereas before I could just hold the lever down and it would be 1 smooth movement.

I do however now have the option to buy driver recorder.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 08:11 AM   #175
Azlar
Private
England
Rep
Drives: M8C

Quote:
I’ve not had any of those problems. What version of the software are you on?

Those things sound all sorts of irritating. Have you done the “reset car settings” thing (or restore factory defaults, I forget what it’s called)?
The version is 03/2020.58. I have done the vehicle reset from the menu options.

It is really annoying, I noticed as soon as I was reversing out of the space at the service centre, I should have parked back up and gone and spoken to someone. I thought it was perhaps a setting that had been changed but I can't find anything anywhere. I have the tone volume on max.

What is also strange is that the technician that worked on it must have noticed this was happening and didn't do anything about it.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 04:44 PM   #176
msm2000uk
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Some additional info about the July update, which is evidently a major one:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/t...oftware-update

M
Appreciate 0