M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion M850ix Software Update - A Tragedy in Multiple Acts

06-12-2020, 08:14 PM   #111
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by delcara View Post
Leaving it overnight has sorted it. Signs in ok now, Spotify working, happy it's sorted but pissed at how much effort it took and the total lack of understanding by BMW staff that the car actually has updatable software in it.

Spotify music quality is worse than Deezer though. So might go back to that, rendering the whole saga completely pointless.
Good news on at least it all stabilizing. Sounds like you are a "streamer" which may be hit or miss from a sound quality perspective. I don't use Spotify or Deezer but rather Amazon Music Plus HD. To my disappointment although the 8-series supports USB-C connectivity for audio pass through from the device (10x better than BlueTooth) at least in my case it appears to be locally stored audio on said device vs. streaming. You may want to give it a shot with Spotify to see if your mileage varies given the ConnectedDrive app.

The better bet but still not sure if possible is Spotify allows for downloading the music. Not sure that will work with the ConnectdDrive app but if so that would be a win as it would place it on the internal 40GB hard drive and the best quality possible. Another possibility would be to download to your phone, figure out the hacking necessary to move that to a SSD portable drive, plug that into the USBC port in the console and see if the Spotify ConnectedDrive app can utilize it.

I'm guessing all of the above is a whim and a prayer so your best bet is to go old school and load up a USBC SSD drive with MP3s, and play it that way. Step it up and go full HiRez FLAC files and you will be flat out amazed at the sound if you have a B&W audio system but even with H&K it will be leaps and bounds above the streaming experience.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 10:23 AM   #112
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

Inspired by recent posts regarding the (sometimes theoretical) Remote Software Upgrade capability, I just poked around the online ConnectedDrive page and was astonished to see that my M850 (11/19 build date) suddenly has been identified as being able to handle Drive Recorder.

Well...let's see. So I semi-excitedly jumped through some hoops on the Store page and signed up for a one-month cost-free trial subscription. That generated the email that I will attach here, with instructions on how to download that newly authorized capability.

You know how this ends: No joy.

I cannot access it no matter what I do inside the car. The Remote Software Upgrade keeps telling me that there is nothing newer than my faulty 03.2020.30 and there are no other signals of anything I can do to download the Drive Recorder app that is awaiting me somewhere in cyberspace.

This very well may be linked to the problems generated by that faulty software package in my car - more specifically, my continuing inability to see or get the full apps package I had before my software was "improved" at the dealership in March.

So. Frustrating.

Here are the instructions I received via email:

--

Thank you for subscribing to the following BMW ConnectedDrive services:

BMW Drive Recorder

You will soon be able to use the subscribed services in your BMW with the Vehicle Identification Number XXXX.

We recommend carrying out an Update Service in order to update the connection.

This can be performed as follows:

Depending on the year and type of your vehicle, go to BMW Assist, ConnectedDrive or Apps by using your iDrive control unit.

Under BMW Assist or ConnectedDrive:
- Open Settings (button around your iDrive control unit).
- Click on Update BMW Services.

Under Apps:
- Click on All Apps.
- Open Settings (button around your iDrive control unit).
- Click on Update apps and services.
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 11:39 AM   #113
delcara
Rep
Drives: 535d>M3>640i>M5>M4 > m850i

First - streaming. Yes. I agree 100%. Deezer (which I now can’t find in the car, I may have to log out of Spotify) downloaded the songs first. Spotify doesn’t do that. Very very tempted to go back to Deezer as sound quality much better and I can drive over the hills with no signal without it cutting the audio.

Second - Drive Recorder. Did exactly the same. My apps only had two things in it (BMW assist and bmw assistant I think) before I did a factory reset on the car. After a few hours the apps dropped in. Got like 15 of them now. Caring car, a bunch of others. Did the drive recorder subscription online, by the time I went down to the car the app had appeared and works well.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 12:30 PM   #114
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
First - streaming. Yes. I agree 100%. Deezer (which I now can’t find in the car, I may have to log out of Spotify) downloaded the songs first. Spotify doesn’t do that. Very very tempted to go back to Deezer as sound quality much better and I can drive over the hills with no signal without it cutting the audio.

Second - Drive Recorder. Did exactly the same. My apps only had two things in it (BMW assist and bmw assistant I think) before I did a factory reset on the car. After a few hours the apps dropped in. Got like 15 of them now. Caring car, a bunch of others. Did the drive recorder subscription online, by the time I went down to the car the app had appeared and works well.
I’ve been following your experience. Exactly how does one perform a factory reset - is that a dealer-only process? I’m beginning to summon the courage to take it back to the dealer and then deal with the re-settings and re-coding.

Also, what software edition did you end up with?

Last edited by redhot47fla; 06-14-2020 at 12:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 12:52 PM   #115
Pictor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX xDrive50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Good news on at least it all stabilizing. Sounds like you are a "streamer" which may be hit or miss from a sound quality perspective. I don't use Spotify or Deezer but rather Amazon Music Plus HD. To my disappointment although the 8-series supports USB-C connectivity for audio pass through from the device (10x better than BlueTooth) at least in my case it appears to be locally stored audio on said device vs. streaming. You may want to give it a shot with Spotify to see if your mileage varies given the ConnectedDrive app.

The better bet but still not sure if possible is Spotify allows for downloading the music. Not sure that will work with the ConnectdDrive app but if so that would be a win as it would place it on the internal 40GB hard drive and the best quality possible. Another possibility would be to download to your phone, figure out the hacking necessary to move that to a SSD portable drive, plug that into the USBC port in the console and see if the Spotify ConnectedDrive app can utilize it.

I'm guessing all of the above is a whim and a prayer so your best bet is to go old school and load up a USBC SSD drive with MP3s, and play it that way. Step it up and go full HiRez FLAC files and you will be flat out amazed at the sound if you have a B&W audio system but even with H&K it will be leaps and bounds above the streaming experience.
There is a definite difference in audio quality between streaming via USB and doing it over Wifi. I don't care for CarPlay but audio streaming over the prerequisite Wifi connection was very good.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 02:29 PM   #116
delcara
Rep

Factory reset is under one of the iDrive menus. Car / settings / general I think. It’ll wipe everything from the car. But I had to do this before it updated the apps. I have not seen the car do an over the air update. And the ConnectedDrive website told me no update was applicable either. However I went from 11/2018.xx to 03/2020.40 which has added a load of new things which I like. Like a nicer font, different iDrive options, the drive recorder app, the pointless caring car app and so on.

One BMW person told me on the phone my car was “on the cusp of being able to be updated” to get the new feature (eg due to the build date of the car), while another person said “it’s all the same hardware underneath anyway so we can just update it like all the other 8 series out there”.
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2020, 03:03 PM   #117
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Factory reset is under one of the iDrive menus. Car / settings / general I think. It’ll wipe everything from the car. But I had to do this before it updated the apps. I have not seen the car do an over the air update. And the ConnectedDrive website told me no update was applicable either. However I went from 11/2018.xx to 03/2020.40 which has added a load of new things which I like. Like a nicer font, different iDrive options, the drive recorder app, the pointless caring car app and so on.

One BMW person told me on the phone my car was “on the cusp of being able to be updated” to get the new feature (eg due to the build date of the car), while another person said “it’s all the same hardware underneath anyway so we can just update it like all the other 8 series out there”.
OK, so just to be certain: You did this yourself and there was no dealer participation in the process that finally solved the problem. It also sounds like, based on a previous post, you left the dealer with 03.2020.40 and the factory reset left you with the same 03.2020.40 but it was far more functional. Is that correct?

Also, how long did it take you to do the factory reset?

Many thanks in advance. I'm moving in your direction on this.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 04:19 PM   #118
delcara
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot47fla View Post
OK, so just to be certain: You did this yourself and there was no dealer participation in the process that finally solved the problem. It also sounds like, based on a previous post, you left the dealer with 03.2020.40 and the factory reset left you with the same 03.2020.40 but it was far more functional. Is that correct?

Also, how long did it take you to do the factory reset?

Many thanks in advance. I'm moving in your direction on this.
Correct. The software was at 03/2020.40 when I left the dealer but I had very few apps. No Spotify, couldn’t log into my bmw driver profile etc. Was in a bad state. The factory reset and then me leaving it for a few hours solved everything.

Factory reset takes about a minute to perform.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 05:15 PM   #119
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Correct. The software was at 03/2020.40 when I left the dealer but I had very few apps. No Spotify, couldn’t log into my bmw driver profile etc. Was in a bad state. The factory reset and then me leaving it for a few hours solved everything.

Factory reset takes about a minute to perform.
Ok, thanks. I see the option as “reset vehicle data.” I suspect it may only work with .40. I”m still stuck with .30, but I may give it a try. Thoughts and prayers, please.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 11:08 AM   #120
msm2000uk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M850i

So an update on my car, which went in this morning for a general software update.

Over the air updates weren't working, so that was my initial query with the car.

BMW UK have asked to be wire-connected to the car tomorrow morning, and their software team want to have a look as to why the car isn't connecting properly.

BMW Tech Support said the car wasn't receiving updates because "they are released based on the batch code of the vehicle so as not to put pressure on the satellites facilitating this remote update". However, the dealer pushed back and said that no over the air updates had ever been received, and since the car was one of the first to be made, their reason was BS.

The dealer has thankfully advised that the May 2020 update is available for my vehicle though, so that's a relief (even if it'll have to go back in July/August when the Android Auto update is released).

So, Thursday lunchtime will be the next call from the dealer, and hopefully BMW UK are able to provide some clarity (especially since they were the original owners of the car until November last year!).

M
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 12:29 PM   #121
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by msm2000uk View Post
So an update on my car, which went in this morning for a general software update.

Over the air updates weren't working, so that was my initial query with the car.

BMW UK have asked to be wire-connected to the car tomorrow morning, and their software team want to have a look as to why the car isn't connecting properly.

BMW Tech Support said the car wasn't receiving updates because "they are released based on the batch code of the vehicle so as not to put pressure on the satellites facilitating this remote update". However, the dealer pushed back and said that no over the air updates had ever been received, and since the car was one of the first to be made, their reason was BS.

The dealer has thankfully advised that the May 2020 update is available for my vehicle though, so that's a relief (even if it'll have to go back in July/August when the Android Auto update is released).

So, Thursday lunchtime will be the next call from the dealer, and hopefully BMW UK are able to provide some clarity (especially since they were the original owners of the car until November last year!).

M
So comforting LOL
Glad to hear it's all getting sorted for you

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 02:43 PM   #122
msm2000uk
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
So comforting LOL
Glad to hear it's all getting sorted for you
So good news. My car is working perfectly, and no faults!

However, that's only because they didn't touch the software on the car

BMW Tech Support agreed that there was an update for the car - 05.2020.

The BMW dealership agreed there was an update for the car - 05.2020.

The car did not agree that there was an update for it, and so refused to have the software installed!

BMW Tech Support said they would have to physically see the car, but that won't happen any time soon since they are in Germany.

The BMW dealership suggested I talk to Connected Drive, so I have now sent them photos of the remote update screens, as even they agree there should be an update!

I'm tempted to do a factory reset, as that seemed to work for someone else here, but I obviously would rather not screw up the car!

Bayerische
Motoren
Werke
Unanimously
Krap

M
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2020, 03:59 PM   #123
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:

The car did not agree that there was an update for it, and so refused to have the software installed!

BMW Tech Support said they would have to physically see the car, but that won't happen any time soon since they are in Germany.

The BMW dealership suggested I talk to Connected Drive, so I have now sent them photos of the remote update screens, as even they agree there should be an update!

I'm tempted to do a factory reset, as that seemed to work for someone else here, but I obviously would rather not screw up the car!

Bayerische
Motoren
Werke
Unanimously
Krap

M
LOL

I agree, if it's working ok don't mess with it.

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 04:45 PM   #124
delcara
Rep

Yeah, so I'm a bit peeved that I didn't get 05.2020. My car insists that there's no update. For now, I don't care because I'm not aware that I'm missing anything. Reading about the new M5 LCI and Cloud Maps etc., I'll want that come August / September so will likely hold off.

RE: Music. Logged out of Spotify, logged into Deezer, signed up for their 'premium' high quality service thing @ £15 per month. Works in the car waaaaaay better than Spotify - the app for the car is vastly superior as is the sound quality. Had to spend £4.50 on an online service to migrate my playlists though, but I'm actually really happy with everything now.

I can't see the remote update working on my car ever, there's either a fault with BMW's back-end systems or it's simply not supported. Or they don't want to do it because they know it'll break everything and they'll be inundated with complaints.

Quote:

Bayerische
Motoren
Werke
Unanimously
Krap

M
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 07:40 PM   #125
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Well one thing is for sure we now have confirmation on the 05/2020 release. I had read it somewhere so posted it a few pages back as likely the latest. However, when I scoured this thread and some other threads on the forum I could no longer find the OP whom said they had received the 05/2020 install. Given I had not lost my mind we also know there is someone here on the forum with it live in the 8-series.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 03:35 AM   #126
andics
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i

If it can help anyone....this is my software journey (and similar to a few other guys I do work in technology as well..)

- I had a Z4 M40i with idrive7, all good with apps etc until my connected drive remote app stopped working...but I had spotify etc.

- Swapped it with a 840d convertible pre-reg in UK and it came with a 2018.11 software build - no spotify, the menus looked slightly different than the Z4 etc...so I arranged the software to be updated by the dealeriship..

- Finally got the March 2020 build (.58) this week...and surprise surprise no more apps, nothing, no spotify,...my settings and stored music was still there...but no joy. I also got the driving recorder option through the web store and paid the £15 fee for 1 month...nothing showed up in the car

- Today I finally did the factory reset from the car settings...et voila'...now all the apps started installing...spotify is there...car recording is there and perfectly working!

I am finally happy with the car....only thing I can't figure out is why I don't have the gesture controls....(the car has got all options fitted)....when I wave my hand in front of the center console somethign happens on the display (i.e. notifications arrows show up) but volume and track controls don't work...

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 04:33 AM   #127
delcara
Rep

No gesture control in the convertible because the sensor is in the roof, which we don't have.

The touchscreen somehow knows when your hand is near it though as it switches to keyboard mode when you go near it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andics View Post
If it can help anyone....this is my software journey (and similar to a few other guys I do work in technology as well..)

- I had a Z4 M40i with idrive7, all good with apps etc until my connected drive remote app stopped working...but I had spotify etc.

- Swapped it with a 840d convertible pre-reg in UK and it came with a 2018.11 software build - no spotify, the menus looked slightly different than the Z4 etc...so I arranged the software to be updated by the dealeriship..

- Finally got the March 2020 build (.58) this week...and surprise surprise no more apps, nothing, no spotify,...my settings and stored music was still there...but no joy. I also got the driving recorder option through the web store and paid the £15 fee for 1 month...nothing showed up in the car

- Today I finally did the factory reset from the car settings...et voila'...now all the apps started installing...spotify is there...car recording is there and perfectly working!

I am finally happy with the car....only thing I can't figure out is why I don't have the gesture controls....(the car has got all options fitted)....when I wave my hand in front of the center console somethign happens on the display (i.e. notifications arrows show up) but volume and track controls don't work...

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 04:51 AM   #128
andics
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i

Quote:
No gesture control in the convertible because the sensor is in the roof, which we don't have.

The touchscreen somehow knows when your hand is near it though as it switches to keyboard mode when you go near it.
Thanks for saving me another few sleepless nights...!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 10:46 AM   #129
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep

So, summarizing:

1. The software updates done by the authorized dealerships - in more than one country - contain serious bugs - and these are the same bugs that have infected each version of the software since at least March.

2. The embedded update apps function still doesn't work in any of the affected cars.

3. But the "reset vehicle data" function, also embedded in these cars, apparently does work and resolves the issues caused by the dealership updates. But it almost certainly will blow out my coding (again) and probably many of my regular settings.

Wonderful. Just freaking wonderful.
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2020, 01:47 PM   #130
msm2000uk
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Three questions on the "Reset Vehicle Date" option?

1. How long does it take?

2. Does the car need my phone/wifi to do it?

3. Once it is done, does one have to do the Remote Software Update (if it works), or will the call just automatically download the latest software?

Thanks all,

M
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 01:59 PM   #131
delcara
Rep

1. The procedure itself takes like 20 seconds and you can carry on driving etc. No problem - however I think that then, in the background, it downloads a load of stuff slowly like the apps - so all in all a few hours. Did mine after I parked up at the end of the day and by morning it had everything.

2. No. There’s a SIM card in the car and I guess they use that. Beware if you’re in a garage it may not work too well due to signal strength.

3. No clue but I’d guess they all have this feature even though it doesn’t seem to work!

Quote:
Three questions on the "Reset Vehicle Date" option?

1. How long does it take?

2. Does the car need my phone/wifi to do it?

3. Once it is done, does one have to do the Remote Software Update (if it works), or will the call just automatically download the latest software?

Thanks all,

M
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 02:52 PM   #132
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
1. The procedure itself takes like 20 seconds and you can carry on driving etc. No problem - however I think that then, in the background, it downloads a load of stuff slowly like the apps - so all in all a few hours. Did mine after I parked up at the end of the day and by morning it had everything.

2. No. There’s a SIM card in the car and I guess they use that. Beware if you’re in a garage it may not work too well due to signal strength.

3. No clue but I’d guess they all have this feature even though it doesn’t seem to work!
Pardon me if you've already answered this but:

1. Did you lose and have to restore seat, radio, media and other settings?

2. Did you have any coding done before the update and was it lost through the update?
Appreciate 0