M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion My 840i thoughts

Closed Thread

09-18-2023, 11:01 AM   #1
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

My 840i thoughts

Disclaimer: Before I get everyone upset at me. I enjoy true driving cars engagement and power and love my M8. For those of you who own the 840i I'm not going after you or your choice I simply cannot understand the placement or want of this vehicle overall. IMO

So I've been lucky enough to have a 840i Coupe over the weekend. It's loaded 2023 all the nice bells and whistles. I was able to take it up to my canyon drive and around for a few long stints and city driving. I put a few hundred on it and filled it up about twice.

Here is where my thoughts start to come in, I'll just list them for ease of read.

1. Why did they make this car? I think they were simply trying to produce the cheapest 8 series possible with zero expectations.

2. Handles like a boat, really has more body role than the X3 M40i and is slower.

3. That new larger touch screen looks like someone just turned the resolution to 150%. That is even after I looked to adjust font size etc.

4. The B58 engine is amazing and is tuned for good power delivery in this car, but it makes it feel fake. I guess all cars must have that small engine version.

5. Listen I know some might say well I bought it for XXXX reasons.... They simply do not exist, I think about having a M240i for half the cost would have been killer compared to this boat. Or the new M2. I can't even justify this car due to cost because there are so many other options out there. Heck a used M850i if the style was the only thing you wanted.

6. Steering feels like its not connected to the car at all. It is loose and has not resistance at all, add that to the large amount of body roll and its a school bus.

7. Braking is very weak for the heft of this ride as well. They heat soak very quickly. I know they didn't build this for a track car but I'm talking a slightly spirited drive out in the rural areas.

There are a few other things I'm not a huge fan of but not worth really going over it. And listen I know it this won't be a positive post, but I just have to be honest. I think about the overall cost of what you get here: 93k start and in the M440i you get the same equipment start at 63k and in such a better overall vehicle. Forget all the sports car stuff its just an overall better equipped ride in the M440i over the 840i.

Things I liked;

1. Fuel mileage was good for what you have for sure.

2. The overall looks of it are spot on with the blacked out package.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 3
m3_08604.00
      09-18-2023, 12:34 PM   #2
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
Disclaimer: Before I get everyone upset at me. I enjoy true driving cars engagement and power and love my M8. For those of you who own the 840i I'm not going after you or your choice I simply cannot understand the placement or want of this vehicle overall. IMO

So I've been lucky enough to have a 840i Coupe over the weekend. It's loaded 2023 all the nice bells and whistles. I was able to take it up to my canyon drive and around for a few long stints and city driving. I put a few hundred on it and filled it up about twice.

Here is where my thoughts start to come in, I'll just list them for ease of read.

1. Why did they make this car? I think they were simply trying to produce the cheapest 8 series possible with zero expectations.

2. Handles like a boat, really has more body role than the X3 M40i and is slower.

3. That new larger touch screen looks like someone just turned the resolution to 150%. That is even after I looked to adjust font size etc.

4. The B58 engine is amazing and is tuned for good power delivery in this car, but it makes it feel fake. I guess all cars must have that small engine version.

5. Listen I know some might say well I bought it for XXXX reasons.... They simply do not exist, I think about having a M240i for half the cost would have been killer compared to this boat. Or the new M2. I can't even justify this car due to cost because there are so many other options out there. Heck a used M850i if the style was the only thing you wanted.

6. Steering feels like its not connected to the car at all. It is loose and has not resistance at all, add that to the large amount of body roll and its a school bus.

7. Braking is very weak for the heft of this ride as well. They heat soak very quickly. I know they didn't build this for a track car but I'm talking a slightly spirited drive out in the rural areas.

There are a few other things I'm not a huge fan of but not worth really going over it. And listen I know it this won't be a positive post, but I just have to be honest. I think about the overall cost of what you get here: 93k start and in the M440i you get the same equipment start at 63k and in such a better overall vehicle. Forget all the sports car stuff its just an overall better equipped ride in the M440i over the 840i.

Things I liked;

1. Fuel mileage was good for what you have for sure.

2. The overall looks of it are spot on with the blacked out package.
I wish I had consulted you before buying an 840.

Appreciate 3
Tenac4539.50
snowbimmer5212.00
      09-18-2023, 12:46 PM   #3
maechthildt
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 Competition

Quote:
Why did they make this car?
Maybe something about CO2 fleet emissions?

@Seaford Why did you buy the 840?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 01:39 PM   #4
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maechthildt View Post

I thought that but the volume can't impact the bottom line that much more than simply not making it.
2015 M235 Manual
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 02:24 PM   #5
m3_08
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 conv, IX M60, model Y

same reason AMG introduced SL43 after SL63 and SL55: attract more buyers for 99% same look. I think it's good to have those choices.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 02:30 PM   #6
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3_08 View Post
same reason AMG introduced SL43 after SL63 and SL55: attract more buyers for 99% same look. I think it's good to have those choices.
Yeah I don't disagree with that... I just look at it a bit different. Looks are strong in the decision for sure but for what you get compared to a lightly used M850 or say a M4 lol... Like I said just my opinion.
2015 M235 Manual
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2023, 02:36 PM   #7
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G16 840i

I don’t agree with anything you’ve said - having owned 2 840i’s, in my opinion they’re the perfect balance of power, looks, and economy. For a daily it’s a fantastic option. Comparing it directly with an M8 is a bit silly (as would comparing any M car with a standard trim), but I can see why you’d draw some of those conclusions comparing an 840i to an M8.

For the UK roads the 840i is the only option I would really consider, given our relentless war on speed, shit roads, and more roadworks and traffic than ever before. I’d have had an 840d, but because of our governments brilliant ability to gaslight the general public to think all diesels are bad, we can’t buy those any more.

I’d also wager it would sail past an X3 M40 in a straight line race, albeit the X3 may have it off the line given it’s xDrive.

Each to their own of course, and if someone offered me the keys to an M8 I’d snap their hand off but cars like that simply aren’t viable for some people’s needs.

**Edit - I do agree about the LCI touchscreen though, it does feel a bit of an afterthought and just to jump on the big screen bandwagon!
Appreciate 4
Tenac4539.50
Seaford1147.50
      09-18-2023, 03:07 PM   #8
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer5to3 View Post
I don’t agree with anything you’ve said - having owned 2 840i’s, in my opinion they’re the perfect balance of power, looks, and economy. For a daily it’s a fantastic option. Comparing it directly with an M8 is a bit silly (as would comparing any M car with a standard trim), but I can see why you’d draw some of those conclusions comparing an 840i to an M8.

For the UK roads the 840i is the only option I would really consider, given our relentless war on speed, shit roads, and more roadworks and traffic than ever before. I’d have had an 840d, but because of our governments brilliant ability to gaslight the general public to think all diesels are bad, we can’t buy those any more.

I’d also wager it would sail past an X3 M40 in a straight line race, albeit the X3 may have it off the line given it’s xDrive.

Each to their own of course, and if someone offered me the keys to an M8 I’d snap their hand off but cars like that simply aren’t viable for some people’s needs.

**Edit - I do agree about the LCI touchscreen though, it does feel a bit of an afterthought and just to jump on the big screen bandwagon!
yeah, I wouldn't suspect many who own the 840i to agree at all honestly. I also agree it isn't a direct comparison to the M8 by any means. Just makes me wonder why its there as an option. lol As far as your sail past X3 M40i I assure you it does not, raced my wife in hers and she didn't leave me in the dust but it gapped me.

I knew someone would agree with me on the screen!!!!
2015 M235 Manual
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 04:33 PM   #9
Avallon
Private
Rep
Drives: Volvo S90

Well... in the UK, 840i is quite a lot cheaper than the M850i / M8. It is lighter and rear wheel drive (thus arguably more fun).

The real kicker is that it is currently cheaper than an M440i, which looks a lot more common (and arguably isn't as pretty).

On an equivalent spec basis, the M440i would be about 25% more expensive.

Even the M240i costs more.

At $850* a month with no deposit I'd challenge anyone to find a car that's better value.

*$850 includes UK Road Tax, if you exclude the road tax, the price I'll be paying is just over $800 a month.

Last edited by Avallon; 09-18-2023 at 04:39 PM..
Appreciate 1
Accentu8703.50
      09-18-2023, 05:29 PM   #10
Accentu8
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY24 Porsche Taycan

Garage List
I don’t agree with anything you said except maybe that it’s not as fast as the X3 M40i since I have no idea, but I’m curious how many miles the 840 had on it. Mine was not all that impressive power wise until I got over 1500 miles.

I could’ve had an M8 or an 850, but after testing all 3, actually preferred the 840 for a lot of reasons. For me the 840 handles better than either of the big engine 8s and I’ve done all kinds of driving in it. Also I commute in it so I prefer the better gas mileage and reliability of the B58.

Also I love the new screen. I think it looks far more integrated into the dash due to the extreme angles on the top corners of the old one and the new one is visually a much better overall shape.

My steering is spot on as are my brakes, heated up or not. And we’ve owned some sports cars and some muscle cars with high end brakes so it’s not that I don’t know handling or braking.

I honestly wonder if something was severely wrong with the 840 you drove because your experience sounds nothing like my almost 10 months with my 840.

As for the 240 or 440…the 240 looks like a Chevy and I can’t stand the buck teeth on the 4 series. Whereas, my 840 is quintessentially BMW and is gorgeous from all angles.

But, as someone said, to each his/her own…

MY24 Audi SQ5 Prestige | Mythos black metallic | Magma red Nappa

Retired: MY23 BMW 840i Coupe | MY21 Audi SQ5 | MY19 Audi A6
Appreciate 2
Tenac4539.50
Davesrb184.00
      09-18-2023, 06:31 PM   #11
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say My Name View Post
I don’t agree with anything you said except maybe that it’s not as fast as the X3 M40i since I have no idea, but I’m curious how many miles the 840 had on it. Mine was not all that impressive power wise until I got over 1500 miles.

I could’ve had an M8 or an 850, but after testing all 3, actually preferred the 840 for a lot of reasons. For me the 840 handles better than either of the big engine 8s and I’ve done all kinds of driving in it. Also I commute in it so I prefer the better gas mileage and reliability of the B58.

Also I love the new screen. I think it looks far more integrated into the dash due to the extreme angles on the top corners of the old one and the new one is visually a much better overall shape.

My steering is spot on as are my brakes, heated up or not. And we’ve owned some sports cars and some muscle cars with high end brakes so it’s not that I don’t know handling or braking.

I honestly wonder if something was severely wrong with the 840 you drove because your experience sounds nothing like my almost 10 months with my 840.

As for the 240 or 440…the 240 looks like a Chevy and I can’t stand the buck teeth on the 4 series. Whereas, my 840 is quintessentially BMW and is gorgeous from all angles.

But, as someone said, to each his/her own…
Exactly my thoughts here to each their own for sure. I agree with you on the looks the 8 series in general will go down in the books as one of the best looking. We and many other will have different expectations from previous ownership and very subjective looks category. Like I said no doubt any 840i owners would come close to agreeing with me on much of this, just different level of a very subjective matter. I used to think the same thing when I bought my first base model 718 until I drove the 718 GT4 and then the GTS etc....
2015 M235 Manual
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 06:34 PM   #12
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah I don't disagree with that... I just look at it a bit different. Looks are strong in the decision for sure but for what you get compared to a lightly used M850 or say a M4 lol... Like I said just my opinion.
Definitely not on the C02 fleet emmisions as the 8-series sales volume is lack luster to say the least. IMO it's definitely about the price point and delivering that with great looks for those that want to buy new vs the better deal performance wise on a used M850i or M4.

In my work parking garage there are now 3 840i's (2 verts and one coupe). I'm the lone holdout (and had it years before the others) with a fire breathing V8 who cares less about gas mileage vs smiles per gallon along with one of the most overpriced M850i's for 2020. Didn't lose sleep over the $127K MSRP and now just figuring out the next move in 2025 (have lost my mind already with the Porsche configurator ).

Should note that the CEO picked up a Taycan Turbo early this year. However, that's just stupid $ buying a perceived status statement as love the woman who is a fantastic leader but not a car person. It's in a frozen gray and I told her she better get the car fully PPF'd in Expel stealth and she looked at me like a deer in the headlights. Tried to explain it but she just didn't get what a matte finish brings to the game so now I just chuckle when I see the rock chips on the front-end, hood and A-pillars.
Appreciate 1
Tenac4539.50
      09-18-2023, 06:35 PM   #13
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avallon View Post
Well... in the UK, 840i is quite a lot cheaper than the M850i / M8. It is lighter and rear wheel drive (thus arguably more fun).

The real kicker is that it is currently cheaper than an M440i, which looks a lot more common (and arguably isn't as pretty).

On an equivalent spec basis, the M440i would be about 25% more expensive.

Even the M240i costs more.

At $850* a month with no deposit I'd challenge anyone to find a car that's better value.

*$850 includes UK Road Tax, if you exclude the road tax, the price I'll be paying is just over $800 a month.
Yeah to me that is crazy I mean the M440i here is about 30k less, so for you to have that flipped is just mind blowing. lol I mean that changes the thoughts I had on price for sure!!!
2015 M235 Manual
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2023, 06:59 PM   #14
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah to me that is crazy I mean the M440i here is about 30k less, so for you to have that flipped is just mind blowing. lol I mean that changes the thoughts I had on price for sure!!!
Craziest thing I've seen market wise is Ozzie8's 2019 M850i which was ~$300K USD in Australia.
Appreciate 1
Tenac4539.50
      09-19-2023, 05:17 AM   #15
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maechthildt View Post

Because in the real world for someone who isn’t overly bothered by what other people think it is way more than enough for a daily driver and way better than pretty much anything else seen on the road over here.

Comparing any 8 series to a 2 or 4 series is laughable…I have have both as loaners and owned two 3 Series….…chalk and cheese
Appreciate 5
Accentu8703.50
Tenac4539.50
Davesrb184.00
m3_08604.00
      09-19-2023, 06:14 AM   #16
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G16 840i

Seaford I agree with you, but it’s interesting when you compare to say a 4 series - I’ve had a 420d loaner for the past week and a half, and I have to say I’m mightily impressed with it. Yes it’s not particularly fast, but it’s probably more than enough for most people (I averaged 63mpg on my usual Newcastle to Leeds and back yesterday). Big differences are tyre noise / general cabin noise is more pronounced, the BMW HiFi sound system is shockingly bad, but it’s still a lovely car to be in. I still can’t wait to get my 8 back though
Appreciate 2
Accentu8703.50
Tenac4539.50
      09-19-2023, 06:18 AM   #17
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer5to3 View Post
Seaford I agree with you, but it’s interesting when you compare to say a 4 series - I’ve had a 420d loaner for the past week and a half, and I have to say I’m mightily impressed with it. Yes it’s not particularly fast, but it’s probably more than enough for most people (I averaged 63mpg on my usual Newcastle to Leeds and back yesterday). Big differences are tyre noise / general cabin noise is more pronounced, the BMW HiFi sound system is shockingly bad, but it’s still a lovely car to be in. I still can’t wait to get my 8 back though
I have nothing against the 3/4 Series - as I say have have owned two 3 Series - it’s just that the materials/general quality - especially in a full Merino cabin - are different class. As is the ride quality/noise level.

I do, however, have a big problem with the 2 Series…I have had two as loaners and both were, in my opinion, dreadful……and one was on the forecourt for pushing £50k!! The latter was rather quick though, in a mcDonalds car park on a Saturday night sort of way!
Appreciate 2
Accentu8703.50
Davesrb184.00
      09-20-2023, 05:25 PM   #18
bigscore
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW G30 540i M Sport

I agree!

To keep the 8 series "special" it should only be available as an M8 or M850. IMO an 6 cylinder 840 is a waste. It's too heavy.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2023, 07:18 AM   #19
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigscore View Post
I agree!

To keep the 8 series "special" it should only be available as an M8 or M850. IMO an 6 cylinder 840 is a waste. It's too heavy.
Too heavy as in lighter than a V8?

Last edited by Seaford; 09-21-2023 at 12:45 PM..
Appreciate 1
Accentu8703.50
      09-21-2023, 11:13 AM   #20
tsbrown
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
I thought that but the volume can't impact the bottom line that much more than simply not making it.
I’ve been considering an 840i GC over the past month or so. Out of curiosity I counted how many of the 8er were M8, M850i or 840i variants from inventory at about 15 dealers and something like 60% are 840i. And yet what I see on the street is most often M850i.
Appreciate 2
Tenac4539.50
      09-21-2023, 12:47 PM   #21
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsbrown View Post
I’ve been considering an 840i GC over the past month or so. Out of curiosity I counted how many of the 8er were M8, M850i or 840i variants from inventory at about 15 dealers and something like 60% are 840i. And yet what I see on the street is most often M850i.
It’s the opposite here in the uk - I have only seen one v8 on the road….and not more than half a dozen 840s come to that!
Appreciate 1
Tenac4539.50
      09-21-2023, 01:44 PM   #22
tsbrown
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaford View Post
It’s the opposite here in the uk - I have only seen one v8 on the road….and not more than half a dozen 840s come to that!
Given the price of petrol I’m not surprised. Oh and if it makes any of the 840i crowd feel any better, the Jeff Koons 8GC at BMW Welt is an 840i, not M850i like the 10(?) originals that were sold at 350k each. Will have to post the picture of it when I get a chance. Real paint, not a wrap.
Appreciate 2
Tenac4539.50
Accentu8703.50
Closed Thread