M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Concern about Carbon Ceramic brakes on an M8 competition

10-24-2022, 05:08 PM   #23
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatM8 View Post
Agree 100% But, lets look at some facts:
Carbon ceramic brakes are indeed better that steel brakes, but they don’t decrease stopping distance, as people commonly think. Instead, they reduce brake fade, which gives them a huge advantage at the race track — if you’re spending a lot of time on the track, your carbon ceramic brakes will basically never fade, even with many laps of hard driving. With steel brakes, you’ll feel brake fade fairly quickly.

So driving to the grocery store, or work, or a road trip - won't amount to much performance difference. (which most of us fall in to this category).

Here's what I see as the biggest problem with CCB. Around 100,000 miles, someone is going to need to change the rotors to the tune of $10,000 to $15,000. So my earlier point was a re-sale concern, now you have a 5,6,7 year old car that needs a $10-15K maintenance at best.

The thing is, while the carbon ceramic brakes may have made sense for the original owner, who spent $140,000 or more for the car when it was new, a 10-year-old AMG Mercedes is worth maybe $30,000 to $35,000 — and nobody in that realm is going to want to spend another $15,000 just to change the brakes. I seriously believe that this will dramatically impact the value of any AMG Mercedes (or BMW, or Porsche, or whatever) with carbon ceramic brakes once it’s more than seven or eight years old — much like how manual cars tend to become more valuable in the used market in part because they’re easier to fix if something breaks in the transmission.

Again, I'm not discounting CCB. I said "If they were on my car when I purchased it, I would have gladly paid for the option for the "cool factor" alone".
I think at 100k miles just the potential repair costs for an AMG or M car may scare many people away. Resale value is crap on these anyways at that time and CCB's won't likely make a difference.

Even if the rotors need replacement on that 6 - 7 year old car (or likely older), you can just swap for steels anyway. Just get new pads and you are good. At least on an AMG but assume this is the same BMW...
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2022, 09:54 PM   #24
TheGreatM8
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
I think at 100k miles just the potential repair costs for an AMG or M car may scare many people away. Resale value is crap on these anyways at that time and CCB's won't likely make a difference.

Even if the rotors need replacement on that 6 - 7 year old car (or likely older), you can just swap for steels anyway. Just get new pads and you are good. At least on an AMG but assume this is the same BMW...
I think you're right regarding swapping them. Only cant go the other way as easily.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2023, 02:29 PM   #25
Forethat
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpop302 View Post
Silly question. I’m assuming these are the regular steel brakes not ceramic?
Small remark despite the age of your question:
The 8-series comes with a variety of brakes. Given that there is at least one member on here who has demonstrated a complete lack of knowledge in this area, let me give you the various brake disk options.

Rear axle:
345mm
370mm (Aerodynamics Package, M-Sport, and with M-Sport brakes)
398mm (M Performance & Sport Package M)

Front axle:
348mm
374mm (Aerodynamics Package and M-Sport brakes)
395mm (M-Sport & M Performance)

If you buy an 8-series with the standard brake system you will get the 348mm discs in the front and 345mm in the back. Even if you buy an 8-series with the M-sport package, it could have the 374mm discs in the front and not the 395mm.

Just by looking at the photo you have posted, I can tell that's not the 395mm discs.

One more thing thing, if you ever hear someone claim "the brakes on the 840 are weak and they fade", ask him to clarify what he means. "How long is a piece of string..."
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2023, 08:30 PM   #26
danielgmanm6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW ///M6 F13

Garage List
2013 Bmw M6  [0.00]
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footman614 View Post
I am looking at a pre-owned 2020 M8 convertible competition that has
carbon ceramic brakes. I am wondering if the maintenance and longevity of these brakes is an option that is an asset or something that will break the bank to maintain and possibly replace. My understanding is that carbon ceramic brakes show an increase in longevity as opposed to the standard brakes. The car I am looking at has around 15,000 miles. Another concern is that one of the options is the M Drivers package so there was a possibility the car was track driven, thus further putting accelerated wear on the brakes. Before purchase, I would have a pre purchase inspection done to check out the car. Any advise on this purschase and the Ceramic carbon brakes would new appreciated!

Let me chime in if I may. Some information below is incorrect. CCB replacements are around 4k per rotor not counting pads. CCB's will only last to 100k of daily driven and not tracked. If the car was tracked, you will significantly lose longevity. The M drivers package means the car has no MPH limiter, it doesn't mean the car was tracked. I think it comes down to hiw long you plan on owning it. A few years, buy it. Keeping it forever? Idk 16k worth it?? I had a m6 with CCB's, they were really good but doesn't justify the replacement cost imo
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 01:55 AM   #27
Bulent Ali
Second Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: M8 competition coupe

Usually when the car come with carbon ceramic brakes , the top speed limiter is removed too . Also you qualify for a BMW track day to learn about the car. However , your car us not used but a bmw OWN M car ..like for like is there .
So the car you see with 15k miles was unlikely used at bmw's training ground . Don't worry. Get a qualified professional to check that the carbon ceramic brakes are not damaged buy stones or anything. Expensive to replace 2k each corner . That's the down side of thease brakes .
Appreciate 0