M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion New tyre choices

07-27-2023, 09:55 PM   #23
M8Bimmer
Not a good Canadian sheep!
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
There are a few days of bad snow each winter, but overall usually not too bad. And when it snows I drive my X3, which admittedly also has the all seasons from BMW. There were so many sub 45 degree dry days last winter I wanted to drive the 8, but couldn't because of the summer tires. I just want to be able to drive the 8 in the colder weather instead of letting it sit in the garage from November to April.
I did not realize that your Winters were not as harsh. Yes I guess all seasons are the ticket for you
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2023, 10:54 PM   #24
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by M8Bimmer View Post
I did not realize that your Winters were not as harsh. Yes I guess all seasons are the ticket for you
Also, I'm in southern Ohio so that helps. If I was up in Cleveland I think it would be different. I drove my X3 in a crazy blizzard last year, really probably shouldn't have been on the road, but you can't not show up for your shift in the ER, where people go after they get into an accident on the road I shouldn't have been on.

It was tolerable as long as I didn't go very fast. I don't know what it would have been like with real snow tires.
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2023, 12:31 AM   #25
M8Bimmer
Not a good Canadian sheep!
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
Also, I'm in southern Ohio so that helps. If I was up in Cleveland I think it would be different. I drove my X3 in a crazy blizzard last year, really probably shouldn't have been on the road, but you can't not show up for your shift in the ER, where people go after they get into an accident on the road I shouldn't have been on.

It was tolerable as long as I didn't go very fast. I don't know what it would have been like with real snow tires.
I've had both AWD vehicles and straight rear wheel drive ones too. Plus a few 4x4 heavy trucks.
It's funny but back in the 70's when I started driving all we had was rear snow tires. Luggy chunky beasts. Change them onto the steel rims every spring and fall. Up here in Ontario if you don't have a good set of winter tires being either the new types or the old ones I described above....your in big trouble on some days. Here you will see "new Canadian's" in the winter who never even changed the rear tires for anything remotely winter rated......lol omg
Happens in Toronto every winter during a storm. Too funny watching that show. Hey they just don't know as it's new to them of course. One or 2 winters and they learn that lesson.
Even when I was young and we would blast around and be sideways a lot of the time, we still had those luggy snows a chompin away. You got good at it eventually and loved being sideways and spinning around. We got good at, cuz we did it daily when we could and where ever we could....lol The best fun was doing it in test drive cars from used car dealers.
I once did a trip to Calgary through The Dakota's from Ontario in the dead of winter. In my 260 Datsun. A few of the days and nights it was brutal cold. Cardboard in front of the radiator to get any extra heat we could. Anyway after a while travelling those wind sweep roads we started to get the speed up to 75MPH or a bit more to to get there faster. The roads was mostly dry and bare. But every once in maybe a mile or so it would be glare ice. I only had snows on the rear and kind of a tread-dy set of fronts. As the car would hit these patches you could feel it comes loose. Scary at first but then after getting the hang of it I didn't care too much. The car would just stay straight and reconnect as we hit the dry patch again. If you didn't do anything to the wheel you were ok....lol It was a bit scarier in the dark. Headlight were nothing compared to what we enjoy now.
The shit you do when your 20.
Appreciate 1
snareman9129.50
      07-28-2023, 02:42 PM   #26
JoelineM8
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 F92

Quote:
Originally Posted by maechthildt View Post
The Michelin Pilot Sport 4S* are made for BMWs - they are better in certain situations like cornering. But it is always a tradeoff as it seems.
Here is a video comparing them to the non *
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COA6...el=TyreReviews
Thank you for the post!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2023, 05:57 AM   #27
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G16 840i

Made a decision - going with the Hankook Ventus S1 Evo 3. Getting fitted on Wednesday. I’ll update once done on differences between the OEM Bridgestone Potenza S007.
Appreciate 2
Wavy1190.50
      08-08-2023, 10:21 AM   #28
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G16 840i

After a bit of a delay I’ve got my new tyres fitted this week - went with the Hankook Ventus S1 Evo 3. Feels so much better than the Bridgestone Potenza S007 - a marked difference in ride quality and seem a little quieter too. Time will tell on how well they wear, but overall grip seems to be better too. Got 15.6k miles of the Bridgestones on the rear - albeit still over 2mm left so had more life left before being illegal. I like to change my tyres before that anyway! Pics if anyone’s interested.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-08-2023, 10:57 AM   #29
autobahnscott
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850I Convertible

Has anyone found an all-season run flat option in the 20" size?
Appreciate 0