M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion M8 Competition performance build has started - lofty 1200+ WHP goal

11-05-2023, 06:26 AM   #89
bbradyc5
BMW Noob
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M8 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8TTEDR View Post
It's available actually, you can use this. It connects to the ethanol sensor then to Hi/lo Canbus. If you have the serial address for where you want it to go, it can be done. Just need to email Terry@burgertuning.com

https://burgertuning.com/products/bm...3c9380c9&_ss=r
Will definitely look into this. I would assume the F9x DME’s would have to be capable of supporting e85 data
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2023, 07:49 AM   #90
Genius
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: AW F90 M5C, e39 M5, E30 M3

What is the diameter of the primaries on the exhaust manifold? Was looking at the supersprint manifold to keep the crossbank configuration but they are 37mm ID which may be too small.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2023, 03:58 PM   #91
bbradyc5
BMW Noob
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius View Post
What is the diameter of the primaries on the exhaust manifold? Was looking at the supersprint manifold to keep the crossbank configuration but they are 37mm ID which may be too small.
My manifold is fab’d with 42mm ID primaries and doesn’t have any pinch points like the OE or even the Supersprint manifold has. My shop actually had a car (F10 M5) in right before mine in which was getting some hybrid turbos and customer had bought the Supersprint manifold for his build. They said it was terrible. Fitment was off left to right and the tubing was barely larger than OE. They didn’t even end up using it.
Appreciate 3
Tenac4539.50
Genius221.50
      11-14-2023, 12:00 AM   #92
Genius
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: AW F90 M5C, e39 M5, E30 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbradyc5 View Post
My manifold is fab’d with 42mm ID primaries and doesn’t have any pinch points like the OE or even the Supersprint manifold has. My shop actually had a car (F10 M5) in right before mine in which was getting some hybrid turbos and customer had bought the Supersprint manifold for his build. They said it was terrible. Fitment was off left to right and the tubing was barely larger than OE. They didn’t even end up using it.
Thanks for the heads up, you might of just saved me a good chunk of change. I guess custom manifold is unavoidable but I do want to keep cross bank configuration which complicates fabrication. I think it’s worth the effort in order to avoid any tuning issues that may arise by with bank specific manifolds. I really think it’s a must if staying oem ecm. Standalone would be ideal but integrating it would present whole new challenges.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2023, 07:12 AM   #93
CrashCade
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 M5 Comp,

It’s been a hot minute since we have heard an update. How is this coming along?
Appreciate 4
      12-17-2023, 09:50 AM   #94
bbradyc5
BMW Noob
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashCade View Post
It’s been a hot minute since we have heard an update. How is this coming along?
I wish I had some progress updates to share but we have been at a stand still waiting on machine shop to finish engine work as well as still waiting on hot side turbo system to come back from heat shielders. Hoping to get an updated ETA this week but with holidays approaching I’m not too optimistic for anything quick. As a lesson to anyone contemplating builds like this, expect delays, it’s inevitable. There are just too many moving pieces to expect that everyone will be able to get to your stuff when you are ready. With that said I’ll share any updates I get here shortly and hope everyone has a good holiday!
Appreciate 4
      01-19-2024, 09:30 AM   #95
CrashCade
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 M5 Comp,

Have you made any progress with the intake manifolds?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2024, 10:22 AM   #96
lude637a
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: x7 and M8GC

Garage List
Same..any updates? Dying to see the progress of your build. Most exciting thread thus far.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2024, 10:59 AM   #97
bbradyc5
BMW Noob
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashCade View Post
Have you made any progress with the intake manifolds?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lude637a View Post
Same..any updates? Dying to see the progress of your build. Most exciting thread thus far.
Hoping to have some better updates next week guys. Engine assembly is underway and they were waiting for the newer cam lock and spring tools needed to complete the rebuild. Can’t do final test fit of proto printed manifolds until engine is done and we can slide it back in to check clearances. As soon as that is done first CNC’d set will be ordered. Hot side turbo and header manifold parts are due back from heat shielding any day now. Rear drag brake kit almost done, waiting on rotors. New drag wheel setup with rear 17” beadlocks are done and shipping today. Waiting on rear axle removal tool to get measurements needed for some new stronger rear axles. Still going back and forth trying to get custom carbon fiber driveshaft spec’d out. Will share updates on all these with some pics next week. It’s frustrating how long everything takes as it’s always one thing holding everything else up. Stay tuned.
Appreciate 4
Tenac4539.50
lude637a415.00
      01-25-2024, 11:31 AM   #98
bbradyc5
BMW Noob
Rep

Ok not the big progress update i was hoping to be able to share but this is what I got. Engine assembly tools (cam lock and spring tools) are in and missing retainers from Carrillo have arrived. Engine assembly should be completed end of next week or early the following so it can finally go back in car to final test fit proto intake manifolds, fuel rails and mark locations for remaining intercooler charge pipe fab. Hot side turbo housings and manifolds were supposed to arrive yesterday but still had not shown up yet so sorry no pics to share. Axle tool arrived and rear axles are out so we can complete measurements for new upgraded rear axles. Hitting some walls on trying to get custom driveshaft spec’d as nobody has an adapter flange designed to work with F9x rear diff yet. In communication with Men’s Motor out of Russia to potentially buy the same upgraded unit they have come up with for their shop M8 GC…we’ll see if this works out. Received machined fittings/connector we designed up for our coolant expansion tank so we can keep stock hose and level sensor connections (pics below). Rear drag brake setup just about complete, they had to redo rotors as first set was messed up and this should be complete and ready to ship to me early next week. Pics of mock-up minus rotors on rear carrier below. Drag wheels are done and arriving today. First set VFC has completed in M8 offsets I believe. 17x11 rears and 20x10 fronts. Hopefully next update will be engine back together and going back in car so remaining fab can get get finished while I kick off order for CNC’ing set of first ever port injection manifolds for F9x platform. From there it will be a little wait but we’ll get the underhood fab work and rear brake setup components out for powder coat while we wait. Thankfully the weather sucks here and there is still snow and salt on the ground so this long wait isn’t killing me just yet. I know the tuning phase of this is going to be a bitch but it will feel great when the mechanical side of the build is complete.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
Tenac4539.50
SFfanboy107.50
Holset274.00
KB7120.00
      01-25-2024, 11:35 AM   #99
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Great update still!!!! Cannot wait to see this beast come to life and thank you for blazing the path. Do you plan to attach the 1/2 mile runs or strictly 1/4??
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 12:36 PM   #100
bbradyc5
BMW Noob
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
Great update still!!!! Cannot wait to see this beast come to life and thank you for blazing the path. Do you plan to attach the 1/2 mile runs or strictly 1/4??
I’m sure at some point I’ll plan to do a half mile event once all the kinks are worked out and I’m satisfied with how it’s running
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 04:46 PM   #101
bbradyc5
BMW Noob
Rep

Quick updates. Rotating assembly complete on engine, on hold waiting for correct valve springs to arrive to finish heads (they shipped wrong ones first time around &#128530. Custom rear brake kit has arrived and fit up will happen next week to ensure all is good before calipers come back off for powder coaters pile with other fab stuff some of which is still to be completed. Here are some pics of most hot side turbo stuff back with heat shielding completed (they do awesome work but man it definitely is not a quick turn around!). Found source and placed order new custom carbon fiber drive shaft (most places had no solution for working with F9x diff). Rear axle measurements completed so new custom rear axles should be in the works soon. That’s all for now, engine assembly is really the big hold up right now so hopefully it won’t be much longer.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Tenac4539.50
SFfanboy107.50
      02-02-2024, 05:43 PM   #102
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep

WoW, Great update, I know how it feels when doing process like this and little things start to add up on set backs and time.... lol Can't wait to see this beast come to life!
2015 M235 Manual
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 06:06 PM   #103
bxdinster
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 comp 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbradyc5 View Post
Exhaust/Turbo manifold fabrication completed.
wow so curious to hear the exhaust noise on this thing will it rumble like an school v8 now that the cross manifold stuff is gone!!?
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2024, 09:33 AM   #104
Powerwhee
Private
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Still waiting on the engine assembly? Interested to see how this is progressing
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 09:38 PM   #105
bbradyc5
BMW Noob
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerwhee View Post
Still waiting on the engine assembly? Interested to see how this is progressing
Happy to say engine is back together after multiple mistakes of wrong springs and wrong head studs being shipped were finally all sorted out. We did final test fit of engine with latest iteration of the manifolds in the car to check all clearances and mark any last modifications that need to happen. CAD will get updated on these next week and then order for first CNC’d set will go in. While those are getting completed over the next several weeks all accessories will start going back on the engine and final fab work of connecting intercooler to manifold inlets can now be completed before everything goes out for powder coating (charge pipkng, turbo housings, strut braces, rear brake calipers, coolant tank, etc.). Per pic below, custom carbon driveshaft was for a 2dr not a gran coupe so that was being remade this week and should arrive any day. Custom rear axles are another week or so out. If all goes to plan it will probably be around 6 weeks or so to have everything back together and try and fire this thing up for the first time and figure out any immediate issues with tuning to not have the car freak out with new turbo manifold setup, custom fuel system and switch to air to air setup. Assuming all goes well and we can get it to run without having the dash be a Christmas tree and immediately go into limp mode it will get a few short and longer easy drives to make sure no leaks/issues, and get needed break in miles on engine and trans. From there plans are in the works to get the car trailered to some folks (still confirming if this vendor is willing to take on this project) who can then focus on getting the real DME and port injection tuning squared away.

Finally at least a dim light at the end of the tunnel as all the hard parts to complete the physical build are either in house or are confirmed in process.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      03-09-2024, 07:54 AM   #106
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep

Hell what they want for that drive shaft? Also awesome update thanks for keeping us all updated again.
2015 M235 Manual
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 08:04 AM   #107
bbradyc5
BMW Noob
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
Hell what they want for that drive shaft? Also awesome update thanks for keeping us all updated again.
$2,400 … hit up Mike at Seems Legit Garage and I’m sure he’ll get you taken care of
Appreciate 2
Tenac4539.50
      03-09-2024, 11:59 AM   #108
Powerwhee
Private
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Awesome news that everything parts-wise is basically in or about to be in. That’s probably the biggest delay. Seems like your almost there—the day you do the first WOT pull all this will be worth it lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 03:58 PM   #109
Dasky_spas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Did they take that cf driveshaft back and make a new one, if so, I would be interested in taking it for my coupe..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 04:55 PM   #110
bbradyc5
BMW Noob
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasky_spas View Post
Did they take that cf driveshaft back and make a new one, if so, I would be interested in taking it for my coupe..
Yes i returned it back to Seems Legit Garage
Appreciate 0