M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Scared Off

01-16-2021, 05:29 AM   #1
AX3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 28i

Scared Off

I have been looking at the M8 Coupe and thought about getting one. The car is so beautiful, But after looking at all the problems everyone seems to be having I don't think I will buy one. I'm not a fan of all the electronic "gizmos". I guess I'm just a dinosaur.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 05:52 AM   #2
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

Oh please, reconsider
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 01:36 PM   #3
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX3 View Post
I have been looking at the M8 Coupe and thought about getting one. The car is so beautiful, But after looking at all the problems everyone seems to be having I don't think I will buy one. I'm not a fan of all the electronic "gizmos". I guess I'm just a dinosaur.
In the context of major issues new cars can be plagued with, these problems are truly negligible

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2021, 05:06 PM   #4
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
In the context of major issues new cars can be plagued with, these problems are truly negligible
Totally agree and some are not necessarily problems to begin with, e.g., BMW reducing the exhaust on the M850is as the car still drives and performs like day 1.

Last edited by bloozemanAZ; 01-17-2021 at 06:36 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2021, 05:53 PM   #5
g11730d
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G11

Quote:
I think you're suffering from negative bias here. The truth is that there are thousands of 8 Series with 0 issues. The likelihood is that they haven't posted anything on here - why would they if they have no issues? Casual enthusiast posters do not make up a majority of customers.

It is very unlikely you will experience problems. In my experience BMW has generally been much more reliable than Audi in the electrical department recently (knock on wood ).
      01-17-2021, 08:24 AM   #6
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by G11T11 View Post
Quote:
I think you're suffering from negative bias here. The truth is that there are thousands of 8 Series with 0 issues. The likelihood is that they haven't posted anything on here - why would they if they have no issues? Casual enthusiast posters do not make up a majority of customers.

It is very unlikely you will experience problems. In my experience BMW has generally been much more reliable than Audi in the electrical department recently (knock on wood ).
This. ^

I've had nothing go wrong.

There are tens of 1000s of hassle-free 8s out there that whose owners don't contribute here or anywhere else. What you do see here is also more positive than negative but both are statistically insignificant in the grander scheme.
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2021, 10:26 AM   #7
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
every car will have some issues, even Ferrari and Porsche. if you don't go bmw, what's your other option?
the Mercedes is a solid $40k-$55k higher, and Porsche is double the price of BMW. although I'm considering a 911 turbo S cab, it's nearly $250k fully loaded.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 04:45 PM   #8
AYSV
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

For what it's worth, I just bought a new M8 Comp a month ago and have never looked back. No issues with it yet, and driving this beast doesn't get old.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 07:48 PM   #9
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by G11T11 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
This. ^

I've had nothing go wrong.

There are tens of 1000s of hassle-free 8s out there that whose owners don't contribute here or anywhere else. What you do see here is also more positive than negative but both are statistically insignificant in the grander scheme.
^^ Spot on.

13 months into my M850i lease and it has been 100% hassle free from the core perspective of any car, i.e., get in it and drive. Throw in the fact that the drive is amazing it is a flat out winner. The closest thing I had to impeding that was the "low coolant" alert but that tracks back to a VPC delivery issue and once again the absolute minimum hassle within the new car ownership spectrum.

Granted I've bitched and moaned on the Connected Drive app and other superfluous issues like exhaust neutering but none of them actual impact the experience of driving an 8-series. If you think I'm tough on BMW's software competency as a distractor to the sheer joy of owning my M850i guess again. I do that in my professional life with Apple, Google, MS, Oracle, VMware, Citrix, SFDC, SNOW and the list goes on.

The bottom line is that the car puts a smile on my face just seeing it parked in the garage and that ramps up 10X when I'm behind the wheel.

Last edited by bloozemanAZ; 01-17-2021 at 07:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 11:48 PM   #10
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
^^^ yup yep ditto

Plus within this forum - no names (aside from yours truly) - certain people at times are prone to exaggeration. For the purposes of humour, dramatic effect or shock value.

I've had one gremlin, solved quickly with a software update. But it got me 27 posts and 12 likes.....
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2021, 03:58 AM   #11
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupé & M240i Coupé

On my side I can say another 8 series owner (M850i) and ZERO regrets, only joy and happiness felt in car terms. I have had mine for 4 months now and I couldn't be more please by the overall package. Consider, as other rightly mentioned, EVERY car brand / maker might have little issues here and there (some worse than others) in their lineups as perfection does not exist here. BMW are certainly not in the "some worse than others category". Also if one was to read carefully and thoroughly into every forum, and go by the small amount of members who might have experienced an issue or two, one would not purchase anything and/or remain in constant doubt. Do not forget the M8 comes with a minimum repair/warranty of 3 years or 200.000 km that can be optioned to 5/200.000 km This is a long time and lots of mileage thus even if you were "unlucky", you'd be covered up for quite a while. Personally I would have no reservations about such as decision. But the latter is ultimately yours.
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2021, 10:35 AM   #12
Amgeater2
Major
Rep
Drives: X6M, M8, Mc 600LT, 296GTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
^^ Spot on.

13 months into my M850i lease and it has been 100% hassle free from the core perspective of any car, i.e., get in it and drive. Throw in the fact that the drive is amazing it is a flat out winner. The closest thing I had to impeding that was the "low coolant" alert but that tracks back to a VPC delivery issue and once again the absolute minimum hassle within the new car ownership spectrum.

Granted I've bitched and moaned on the Connected Drive app and other superfluous issues like exhaust neutering but none of them actual impact the experience of driving an 8-series. If you think I'm tough on BMW's software competency as a distractor to the sheer joy of owning my M850i guess again. I do that in my professional life with Apple, Google, MS, Oracle, VMware, Citrix, SFDC, SNOW and the list goes on.

The bottom line is that the car puts a smile on my face just seeing it parked in the garage and that ramps up 10X when I'm behind the wheel.
Guys come on the guy has 42 post.. and his thread is to bash the car and say "I am not buying the car," he wasnt even open to comments or atleast an "hey guys I am looking to may be buy the car but.."
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 10:44 AM   #13
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

You know what they say about good news and bad news.... bad news travels THAT much faster especially here on the boards. I cant find, nor do I care, about problems that have occurred here with their M8's. The data or posts are negligible at best.

I love how these posts come from people who dont know how to extrapolate or research correctly the data.

Imagine if all the people who liked their cars posted about every small thing they liked in a positive way.... the boards would be flooded.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 1