M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Transferring music from USB

01-15-2021, 02:21 PM   #1
waterhousej
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 840i

Transferring music from USB

Hi

Does anyone know how to transfer music from a USB drive to the car’s own hard drive? I’ve read threads which suggest this is possible but can find this option on my car. Possibly this feature isn’t available on 2021 spec cars.

Thanks
Jimbo
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 08:27 PM   #2
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhousej View Post
Hi

Does anyone know how to transfer music from a USB drive to the car’s own hard drive? I’ve read threads which suggest this is possible but can find this option on my car. Possibly this feature isn’t available on 2021 spec cars.

Thanks
Jimbo
It's a simple process with a USB thumb drive, etc. plugged into the USB-A port in front of the charging tray. You then go to Media Collection which will give you the option to import the files. Granted this is from memory as it's been a while since I've done it but I can't see that being negated in the 2021 models as it's existed since at least iDrive 6 and I've done the same on my wife's X5.
Appreciate 2
      01-16-2021, 09:23 AM   #3
waterhousej
United Kingdom
Rep

I’ve still not been able to find an option to transfer the music to the car’s hard drive so spoke to my local BMW Genius this morning. He confirmed this option is no longer available on the latest models.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 11:01 AM   #4
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupé & M240i Coupé

You should definitely have an option to import songs (nake sure these are in MP3 pr generally FLAC format) from a USB stick.
Go into the main media menu and select "Music Collection". Then press the "Option" button. By hitting "Manage Music Collection", you will see the below options (delete, save, restore). You should have something like "restore from usb drive". That would be your desired option.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-16-2021, 11:41 AM   #5
waterhousej
United Kingdom
Rep

I don’t even have a Music Collection item in the menu on my car unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 05:08 PM   #6
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBMWWINS View Post
You should definitely have an option to import songs (nake sure these are in MP3 pr generally FLAC format) from a USB stick.
Go into the main media menu and select "Music Collection". Then press the "Option" button. By hitting "Manage Music Collection", you will see the below options (delete, save, restore). You should have something like "restore from usb drive". That would be your desired option.
Apologies last evening I called it Media Collection via memory but it is indeed Music Collection and those are the right screens to get to the import from USB.
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2021, 04:06 PM   #7
jamodeo
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Comp Coupe

It could be a regional thing, if you can customize the sources menu, and don't have the checkbox option for music collection it would be my assumption that BMW has disabled it for your region. Might be possible to enable thru coding if you want to go down that path.

-Joe
      01-23-2021, 05:59 PM   #8
RNemesisN63
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Dravit M850

Garage List
2019 540i  [0.00]
2013 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamodeo View Post
It could be a regional thing, if you can customize the sources menu, and don't have the checkbox option for music collection it would be my assumption that BMW has disabled it for your region. Might be possible to enable thru coding if you want to go down that path.

-Joe
That would be unfortunately if they disabled this for OPs region. It's a nice little option to have. I don't use it as much as I did but still, like knowing it's there.
      01-23-2021, 07:27 PM   #9
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Given this thread surfaced again with a couple of updates today it made me realize that the screens FBMWWINS shared regarding the Music Collection management are not the right ones for initially importing into the hard drive. However, the last time I manipulated the Music Collection was indeed via those screens as they in essence allow you to transfer a collection between cars. In my case it was to overcome a still undetermined root cause for why the cover art in my Music Collection on my M850i got corrupted and is tracked in this thread: https://f92.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1756445. FYI, as posted in the thread if you do export and want to convert back to the original file format vs the BMW result I found an open sourced tool to do so.

That said to import you just select the USB source of the device plugged in (my case a thumb drive in the USB-A port) within iDrive's overall media selection. iDrive should recognize the valid formats and offer them up to play from. In this case it's a Judas Priest album I've been errant on including in my SSD's library refresh. Select the album identified and on the right hand side of the screen you should have an icon to import. Toggle to it and hit select with the iDrive controller. If memory serves if there are additional sources on the USB in a proper format it will ask to import them all vs the targeted album.

The upside of the exercise is I now have Judas Priest Point of Entry in the music collection so although not on my core SSD I can still ask the BMW assistant to play it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 05:36 AM   #10
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupé & M240i Coupé

Thanks for the heads-up. Indeed I used the "MUSIC COLLECTION" option to import from another BMW which has been quite a common task as we have swapped a few BMWs lately and have music on several USB sticks. Assuming this was the thread OP request, as this is a very common request these days, for me that was the way to go. Hopefully he was, and/is able to import it via the "import music" option as shown above.
Appreciate 0