M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion No July update yet

01-12-2021, 05:25 AM   #23
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupé & M240i Coupé

Unfortunately I cannot reproduce it because I have deactivated mine with no updates available so nothing was downloaded prior to that and there is nothing suggested as far as any updates go in my IDrive. Perhaps someone else in your same situation, and not wishing to update can confirm if they are experiencing the very same behaviour? Or hear what a BMW Genius actually tells you (know they are not all as they claim to be).
My take is the update file was downloaded prior to you modifying the mentioned data privacy setting thus deactivating the remote upgrade option. I would not exclude it as possibly being a temporary server problem and I would keep checking as you should see the same option as we do and as shown in the pictures. You could also TEST it by re-activating (set the flag in data privacy) and then check back if you still see that error message. If you enable the option back on (by flagging it) and that error message still persists, then it’s likely a server (connection) issue and the former cannot be established. You could call and ask BMW if they are experiencing any issues on that side.
No when it’s all said and done and the remote OTA upgrades are NOT active, nothing should get pushed through. Else that would be a data breach if have not given consent. Whether an already downloaded upgrade file can be removed, suppressed – deleted in any ways I do not know. I would just leave the option as inactive regardless because ultimately the update should not occur if you do not wish for it.

As for map updates these get automatically downloaded. BMW pushes the navigation map updates automatically as well.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...1&d=1558705729

I would not worry about this one though since it has no impact on other things other than your navigation.

I have not used the APP extensively but it should not matter. When you make changes “inside” the car, what you see on the APP and on the PC should automatically get updated when you refresh and navigate through that. Though I think it is good practice for a full refresh to log out completely and back in again so nothing wrong with that if you did it already. As a possibly more “drastic” measure you may want to remove and RE-add the vehicle all together as some have done to solve other annoyances (was mentioned in another thread too). Deleting the app and reinstalling it also often helps if there are issues.
As for the banner and privacy settings perhaps remotely BMW refreshed/updated something so when you log-in there after a long time and something even ever so slight changed, you might see that message. I logged in the data privacy settings twice in the last month and did not see that message.

As for your connected drive access data invalid message try this which was suggested by a forum member in another forum section (believe it was also G05):

Delete the profile from the car and then add it back
Select all checkboxes in Car Settings for Data Privacy
Delete the app from the iphone,
Reinstall the app
Log back into the app using My Connected Drive ID / PW
Add the vehicle to the app using the VIN,
Confirm by entering the code sent to the car from BMW

Re-check the data privacy options in the IDrive as you desire

No guarantee all error messages/issues will go away but worth a try. I read it has worked in many cases.
Appreciate 1
RJC-11281.00
      01-12-2021, 05:24 PM   #24
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBMWWINS View Post
Unfortunately I cannot reproduce it because I have deactivated mine with no updates available so nothing was downloaded prior to that and there is nothing suggested as far as any updates go in my IDrive. Perhaps someone else in your same situation, and not wishing to update can confirm if they are experiencing the very same behaviour? Or hear what a BMW Genius actually tells you (know they are not all as they claim to be).
My take is the update file was downloaded prior to you modifying the mentioned data privacy setting thus deactivating the remote upgrade option. I would not exclude it as possibly being a temporary server problem and I would keep checking as you should see the same option as we do and as shown in the pictures. You could also TEST it by re-activating (set the flag in data privacy) and then check back if you still see that error message. If you enable the option back on (by flagging it) and that error message still persists, then it’s likely a server (connection) issue and the former cannot be established. You could call and ask BMW if they are experiencing any issues on that side.
No when it’s all said and done and the remote OTA upgrades are NOT active, nothing should get pushed through. Else that would be a data breach if have not given consent. Whether an already downloaded upgrade file can be removed, suppressed – deleted in any ways I do not know. I would just leave the option as inactive regardless because ultimately the update should not occur if you do not wish for it.

As for map updates these get automatically downloaded. BMW pushes the navigation map updates automatically as well.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...1&d=1558705729

I would not worry about this one though since it has no impact on other things other than your navigation.

I have not used the APP extensively but it should not matter. When you make changes “inside” the car, what you see on the APP and on the PC should automatically get updated when you refresh and navigate through that. Though I think it is good practice for a full refresh to log out completely and back in again so nothing wrong with that if you did it already. As a possibly more “drastic” measure you may want to remove and RE-add the vehicle all together as some have done to solve other annoyances (was mentioned in another thread too). Deleting the app and reinstalling it also often helps if there are issues.
As for the banner and privacy settings perhaps remotely BMW refreshed/updated something so when you log-in there after a long time and something even ever so slight changed, you might see that message. I logged in the data privacy settings twice in the last month and did not see that message.

As for your connected drive access data invalid message try this which was suggested by a forum member in another forum section (believe it was also G05):

Delete the profile from the car and then add it back
Select all checkboxes in Car Settings for Data Privacy
Delete the app from the iphone,
Reinstall the app
Log back into the app using My Connected Drive ID / PW
Add the vehicle to the app using the VIN,
Confirm by entering the code sent to the car from BMW

Re-check the data privacy options in the IDrive as you desire

No guarantee all error messages/issues will go away but worth a try. I read it has worked in many cases.
Thanks for the info.!

For the connected drive error, what exact profile do you/BMW want deleted/where is it located, I'm assuming not my driver profile?

All apps are working fine, but this is exactly what I get when I choose the connected app in idrive, essentially suggesting what you/others say (see 1st pic). Connected app on my phone is also working perfectly, therefore do I need to even utilize it in Idrive? Error message goes away once I move the selector.

You were 100% correct, today the software upgrade now shows deactivated (2nd pic), but I now don't see the version I'm on, I'm guessing I cant because its deactivated? Last check before deactivating (late last night) was 07/2019.55 . The sounds this car makes even in comfort is sublime and I would rate it up there with my XKR with fact perf exhaust.

Sorry for all the basic questions but too many vehicles with too many settings etc. and now just use only the basics when I get a new one, but would now like the M850's fully functional since I went this far preserving the exhaust.
Attached Images

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 03:08 AM   #25
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep

Yes it is normal that once set to inactive, you will not see the exact / current software version. I have the very same information (message) as you showed on the last picture. And really with the setting as such, BMW should NOT force any update whatsoever because they would breach a data privacy setting!

For the connected drive yes under PROFILES you will see the currently used profile that is what those reset steps were referring to. If you do not want to lose all the settings (understandibly) as per BMW you can export your BMW ConnectedDrive driver profile in the vehicle. You should have that option which reads "Export via USB". If you do not want to try the drastic measure you could try this path (export it make sure it's saved on a USB stick) then delete from car, and re-import it.
Regarding the error in Idrive (which then goes away as you say) if your have done all the possible resets mentioned and suggested and still have it, my fear is that it could be a software issue. Maybe check with BMW Connected drive services if others have had the same issue they might have a quick solution without perhaps having to upgrade! Of course what works for many when there are these little annoyances are the mentioned steps/measures here in the thread as well as those talked about a lot in the various sections and subsections of bimmerpost. And there is some time and most of all some settings to be lost in applying those if one wants to persevere.

Great to hear that with your current software version the exhaust still sounds superb on your M850i.
Appreciate 1
RJC-11281.00
      01-13-2021, 08:43 PM   #26
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes it is normal that once set to inactive, you will not see the exact / current software version. I have the very same information (message) as you showed on the last picture. And really with the setting as such, BMW should NOT force any update whatsoever because they would breach a data privacy setting!

For the connected drive yes under PROFILES you will see the currently used profile that is what those reset steps were referring to. If you do not want to lose all the settings (understandibly) as per BMW you can export your BMW ConnectedDrive driver profile in the vehicle. You should have that option which reads "Export via USB". If you do not want to try the drastic measure you could try this path (export it make sure it's saved on a USB stick) then delete from car, and re-import it.
Regarding the error in Idrive (which then goes away as you say) if your have done all the possible resets mentioned and suggested and still have it, my fear is that it could be a software issue. Maybe check with BMW Connected drive services if others have had the same issue they might have a quick solution without perhaps having to upgrade! Of course what works for many when there are these little annoyances are the mentioned steps/measures here in the thread as well as those talked about a lot in the various sections and subsections of bimmerpost. And there is some time and most of all some settings to be lost in applying those if one wants to persevere.

Great to hear that with your current software version the exhaust still sounds superb on your M850i.
Why would my connected app on my phone be ok, doesn't it and the cars app share the same data/programming?

Thanks again

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 03:03 AM   #27
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep

Correct I agree theoretically they do, but then again the forums are full, unfortunately of threads where people complain about various issues, annoyances or whatever you want to call them within their Idrive system. Consider this is still (for me and for many too I would affirm) the BEST system out there but not perfect when it comes to actual software and few bugs noted here and there, which are likely solved after a software update.
What is left for you to try? Other than contacting BMW Connected Drive Services, you could try a hard reset. By pushing and holding the volume button in for 30 seconds or so, the unit should reboot. If this also does not help, you go for the RESET DATA to DEFAULT FACTORY SETTINGS. Now I know you want to avoid losing everything, but I am just saying what else you could try. First though I'd make a quick call to BMW CDS and hear what they say. They might have a suggested "easy" fix before trying out the more drastic measures if the problem persists.
Appreciate 1
RJC-11281.00
      01-14-2021, 12:36 PM   #28
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Correct I agree theoretically they do, but then again the forums are full, unfortunately of threads where people complain about various issues, annoyances or whatever you want to call them within their Idrive system. Consider this is still (for me and for many too I would affirm) the BEST system out there but not perfect when it comes to actual software and few bugs noted here and there, which are likely solved after a software update.
What is left for you to try? Other than contacting BMW Connected Drive Services, you could try a hard reset. By pushing and holding the volume button in for 30 seconds or so, the unit should reboot. If this also does not help, you go for the RESET DATA to DEFAULT FACTORY SETTINGS. Now I know you want to avoid losing everything, but I am just saying what else you could try. First though I'd make a quick call to BMW CDS and hear what they say. They might have a suggested "easy" fix before trying out the more drastic measures if the problem persists.
Thanks, I think I'm going to let it be for a while. Weird thing is it only started happening after I disabled the s/w upgrades. As mentioned thought it was due to getting a newer iPhone as I had to re-enter my login etc for the connected app on it, but I did not receive the error msg last time I drove the car and already had the new phone then.

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 01:47 PM   #29
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
Thanks, I think I'm going to let it be for a while. Weird thing is it only started happening after I disabled the s/w upgrades. As mentioned thought it was due to getting a newer iPhone as I had to re-enter my login etc for the connected app on it, but I did not receive the error msg last time I drove the car and already had the new phone then.
Sure as you deem best. Though I would still give a quick call to Connected Drive Services just to hear (even if only out of curiosity) what they might suggest. Else keep observing things and see if anything else pops up.
Appreciate 1
RJC-11281.00
      01-14-2021, 06:04 PM   #30
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sure as you deem best. Though I would still give a quick call to Connected Drive Services just to hear (even if only out of curiosity) what they might suggest. Else keep observing things and see if anything else pops up.

What's the purpose of the in-car connected app when I have it on my phone? Also, all the other in-car apps are working perfectly.

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 06:54 PM   #31
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
What's the purpose of the in-car connected app when I have it on my phone? Also, all the other in-car apps are working perfectly.
LOL as I've often thought the same. I've never even tried loading the iDrive Connected app as if I'm already in the car it is useless. Rather the Connected app on the phone is what provides value to check fuel, send navigation destinations to the car, remote start, remote 3D view, etc.
Appreciate 0