M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion New Connected App Bug?

12-08-2020, 06:56 PM   #1
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
New Connected App Bug?

Today I discovered a bug in the Connected app that is hitting my M850i. The last time I had used the app it was set to my wife's 2017 X5 and when I selected my M850i it displayed the attached message regarding a lack of a Connected+ subscription. Subsequently I tried various options, e.g., start and stop the car (this syncs data to the cloud), restarting the Connected app, etc. but it still is showing up every time.

Granted all functions within the app appear to be working as all the data is showing up and I've done a remote start as well as 3D view capture. So it appears the bug is innocuous but why am I seeing this message when the car is literally subscribed by default to the entire boat load of Connected services minus the new red light camera offering? The second screenshot clearly indicates it is good to go through 12/09/2023 for Connected+.

Once again at the risk of getting a ban on the forum this just absolutely proves BMW cannot fight their way out of a paper bag when it comes to competency within the digital world.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 08:26 PM   #2
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Today I discovered a bug in the Connected app that is hitting my M850i. The last time I had used the app it was set to my wife's 2017 X5 and when I selected my M850i it displayed the attached message regarding a lack of a Connected+ subscription. Subsequently I tried various options, e.g., start and stop the car (this syncs data to the cloud), restarting the Connected app, etc. but it still is showing up every time.

Granted all functions within the app appear to be working as all the data is showing up and I've done a remote start as well as 3D view capture. So it appears the bug is innocuous but why am I seeing this message when the car is literally subscribed by default to the entire boat load of Connected services minus the new red light camera offering? The second screenshot clearly indicates it is good to go through 12/09/2023 for Connected+.

Once again at the risk of getting a ban on the forum this just absolutely proves BMW cannot fight their way out of a paper bag when it comes to competency within the digital world.
Wish I could offer help but I've had the same issue with my X7 from day one. Multiple long calls to BMW Genius with no resolve. I've removed my car and readded from connected drive, Uninstalled the app, cleared app cache, factory reset on phone, and multiple hard resets on hard drive every step of the way. Ultimately they told me to take it to the dealer, but it certainly seems to be more of an issue with my account (or something with how the car is registered/licensedon the backend at least), I didn't feel like putting my dealer through the hassle so I chose to let it go.

Since I gave up, I also have gone through both dealer and remote software upgrades to no avail. My M3 has shown Connect+ Services the whole time. Similar to you, no real issue, just annoys me to see it when I switch between cars. Based on what shows for the M3, I might be missing navigation door to door, BMW on board Connected, and 'my destinations', none I have even tried to use. Subscribing to see if you get any good responses, but sorry I can't offer more.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 05:22 AM   #3
JDS
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 MBB F97 X3MC

Has the "my BMW" app hit the US yet? I had a message here (UK) to say that the Connected App will soon not be supported and everything is transitioning to My BMW.

May not be related though...
Gone: 2015 F80 M3 - Mineral Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 11:20 PM   #4
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:

Ok, Blooze, I have some very disconcerting news to share w/you. My car's connected app just spoke to your car's connected app and ECU and it told me your car is extremely pissed at all the BMW s/w knocks you've been making, plus all the you've been including in your posts, and therefore neutered your exhaust a few months back! It also said if you keep it up it will start deactivating cylinders 1 per month for the next 7 months, but out of pure BMW kindness, it will leave you just 1 cylinder to run all your honey-do's . It also said to say happy holidays, but watch it!

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2020, 11:24 AM   #5
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
Ok, Blooze, I have some very disconcerting news to share w/you. My car's connected app just spoke to your car's connected app and ECU and it told me your car is extremely pissed at all the BMW s/w knocks you've been making, plus all the you've been including in your posts, and therefore neutered your exhaust a few months back! It also said if you keep it up it will start deactivating cylinders 1 per month for the next 7 months, but out of pure BMW kindness, it will leave you just 1 cylinder to run all your honey-do's . It also said to say happy holidays, but watch it!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 06:39 PM   #6
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quick update on my end. I was hoping it was a transient issue just like the occasional lack of profile recognition for my key and I end up in "guest" profile. No such luck as it is constant in the Connected Drive app. I doubt it has anything to do with my 07/2019.60 upgrade as it worked for a couple of weeks flawlessly. My guess is the BMW "cloud" introduced the bug just like it wiped out my password with the "@" special character.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 09:00 PM   #7
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
So I just traded in the M3 for an M8 today, and for a while I had the M3, X7, and M8 in my app. The M8 was behaving the same as the X7 and I was a bit annoyed, but at least there was some consistency now. After I got home, I removed the M3, and now the problem went away, no errors swapping between the X7 and M8 at all. Since the behavior was never an issue, just the messages, I'm guessing it was just a difference in configurations on the back end the app just wasn't handling gracefully.

Basically, go get the wife a new X5 and all you issues should go away.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 09:06 AM   #8
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Quick update on my end. I was hoping it was a transient issue just like the occasional lack of profile recognition for my key and I end up in "guest" profile. No such luck as it is constant in the Connected Drive app. I doubt it has anything to do with my 07/2019.60 upgrade as it worked for a couple of weeks flawlessly. My guess is the BMW "cloud" introduced the bug just like it wiped out my password with the "@" special character.
Following what Nemo said above, can you remove all the cars and then add each of them back in to it?

Or at least the x5 and see if it helps the m850
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 08:00 PM   #9
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
Following what Nemo said above, can you remove all the cars and then add each of them back in to it?

Or at least the x5 and see if it helps the m850
This is definitely a bug introduced into the app at least for me in December of last year given it worked without issue for the X5 and M850i for 12 months (added the M850i in December of 2019). Further investigation over the last week or so dictates it's the M850i vs the X5 that is causing the problem. Hence, I removed the M850i and re-added it but the "bug" still remains.

The underlying problem is an iDrive 6 system properly designates Connected+ as a feature within the car's profile vs the iDrive 7 on the M850i does not. Adding and removing the M850i did not change the list of features whatsoever so in the app switching from the X5 to the M850i displays the message but vice versa it does not given the X5 feature list includes Connected+. Bottom line is it is just an annoyance and once again proves without a doubt BMW cannot punch their way out of a paper bag when it comes to software competency.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 03:05 PM   #10
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Just a quick update on the thread given I used the BMW Connected app on my work iPhone XS yesterday to provide an answer/input on a different thread. Through that effort I discovered that the iOS app does not have the "bug" now in the Android version in switching from my wife's X5 (iDrive 6) to my M850i. The car selector clearly indicates she has Connected+ and the M850i doesn't but there is no message when switching form the X5 to the M850i. Thus, at least for me the "bug" is Android specific.
Appreciate 2
Ozzie8641.00