M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Speaking of distracted drivers...

06-30-2006, 12:01 PM   #1
foofighter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 TRD Off Road 4r - 2018 M3

Speaking of distracted drivers...

I support this 100%

Quote:
Cell phone bill heads to Assembly
Californians would be required to use hands-free devices when driving
By Steve Geissinger, SACRAMENTO BUREAU

SACRAMENTO — A bill requiring the use of hands-free cell phone devices while driving faces its first test in the Assembly today.

The bill, which has passed the Senate, is being pushed by a Bay Area legislator citing evidence that driving and holding cell phones don't mix.

Attempts by Sen. Joe Simitian, D-Palo Alto, have failed in the past. But supporters, such as insurers and law enforcement groups, are increasing. Cell phone companies — the foes — are split over the issue.

"Cell phones are the No. 1 cause of distracted-driving accidents in California," Simitian said. "Accidents by drivers using hand-held phones outnumber those driving hands-free by a ratio of 25 to one. The difference between hands-free and hand-held is life and death."

A California Highway Patrol study shows cell phones have been the most common cause of distracted-driving accidents each year since 2001.

The Harvard Center for Risk Analysis has estimated that nationwide, cell phone use while driving likely has been responsible for more than 2,600 deaths, 330,000 injuries and 1.5 million instances of property damage.

New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and the District of Columbia have adopted hands-free laws.

But in California, legislative analysts say opponents, such as Sprint Nextel, have argued that the bill "singles out one type of behavior — holding a phone — that could lead to inattentive driving."

Opponents say studies have shown other behaviors such as eating, managing electronic vehicle accessories and attending to children are more common distractions than cell phone use.

Foes also point out that therehas been little research on whether driving with hands-free cell phone devices is safer than hand-held ones.

The bottom line in the debate, according to all studies conducted so far, is that more than 200 million people are using cell phones in America and increasing their chances of getting into an accident when they talk on a cell phone and drive.

But both sides also agree that any new law would be difficult to enforce.

SB 1613 would take effect on July 1, 2008, to allow consumers time to adjust to the new law and to give the state Department of Motor Vehicles time to update its driver education handbooks.

Under the measure, the first offense would result in a fine of $20, with penalties for subsequent offenses going up to $50.

The bill was approved by the Senate last month. It is scheduled to be heard in the Assembly Committee on Transportation today.

The bill allows exemptions for people calling law enforcement or public safety agencies, as well as emergency services personnel driving authorized vehicles.

Contact Sacramento Bureau Chief Steve Geissinger at

sgeissinger@angnewspapers.com.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2006, 12:20 PM   #2
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

Yep, and it's a major problem down here. Any time my boyfriend and I comment on someone's poor driving we both pass the car and glance in and then say "oh he/she is on his/her cellphone"
I completely disagree with the teen cellphone ban, because it isn't fair and it isn't only teens. In fact, around here I see about 90% of the drivers driving irratically on their cellphones are middle aged. So they should definitely ban it for all drivers. I never use my cellphone in the car, and I set it up for bluetooth so it just connects automatically when I enter the car, but I hardly ever use that.

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2006, 12:21 PM   #3
foofighter
Captain
United_States
Rep

agreed, teens shouldnt be banned from using cellphones, but they should be use handsfree for sure.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2006, 12:21 PM   #4
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

lol, I was on my cellphone yesterday. I try to only make calls during red lights, and try to hang up ASAP if it turns green. But yeah, I need a hands-free set.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2006, 12:25 PM   #5
foofighter
Captain
United_States
Rep

it absolutely drives me nuts when they have the phone plastered to their head and need to change lanes they cant cock their head enough because they're holding their gad dam phone to their head!!!! Pisses me off to no end
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2006, 12:31 PM   #6
vladinecko
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
1994 BMW 325i  [0.00]
they're trying to pass the same bill here in PA. it's good we have bluetooth...
1994 E36 325i - Boston Green/Beige/Automatic/ZPP/Heated Seats/Premium Sound - Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2006, 12:35 PM   #7
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

hands free doesn't help anyways

it's the conversation that steals attention

take the phone out of an american's hand and they'll just replace it with a shaver or soda or sandwich or makeup or newspaper

that's a great piece of pointless wasting of our tax dollars pushing crap legislature through like that.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2006, 12:47 PM   #8
foofighter
Captain
United_States
Rep

the cellphone is one of many distractions...personally i think it's worth the effort and my tax dollars. Driver education hasnt done squat to curb this, so the only way to get people to learn is through their pocket book. That seems to be the only way for people to learn.

i think there's legislation on other distractions as well
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2006, 07:15 PM   #9
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Good... its not necessarily having the phone in hand, but it will cut down on the idiots on the road not paying attention...
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2006, 07:57 PM   #10
CnoteMD
Commander in Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 535i

Garage List
2008 M5  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
This has been a law in NY for a few years now. I don't know if it has become a law in NJ yet. If they have made it a law in this state, they sure don't seem to enforce it.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2006, 08:07 PM   #11
PaPaGz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport MG

its not gonna stop people from using a cell phone. its just the stupidity of people that causes it. i obviously use my cell phone but most people i talk to always ask if something is wrong or if im distracted or w/e just because i pay attention to the road, not to the conversation. id rather not crash/injure anyone etc than be in a deep conversation while making a left or w/e. as for bumper to bumper traffic (a daily thing for me) i don't think thats a big deal cuz your not going more than 10mph anyway. bluetooth is an amazing thing, i don't have that, but i use speakerphone and just drop the phone in my lap...simplest solution
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2006, 08:42 PM   #12
foofighter
Captain
United_States
Rep

i think this will deter people that get distracted anyway...the ones that meander or are left lane squaters doing 60 mph...arm them w/ a cell phone and they totally disconnect their brain because they're so involved with their conversation.

Dumbass soccer mom in a suburban was too busy talking on her phone. She came to a light and decided at the last might to slow down 30' away from the intersection...and then signal as she's already initiating her turn. and then slowly accelerates out of the corner all the while yapping on her fvcking phone.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2006, 09:03 PM   #13
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

I agree with ward - it's the conversation. A lot of dumbasses only drive with one hand on the wheel, anyways (with the other holding a newspaper, shaving, drinking, eating, or jacking off) so it makes no difference whether they're using that hand to hold a cell phone or not.

If you want to increase road safety, install Capital Punishment for all traffic violations and people who are at fault during accidents (excluding proven mechanical malfunctions). That'll shut them up.
      06-30-2006, 09:25 PM   #14
rchanou
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325i Jet Black

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
As other posters have said forcing the use of headsets doesn't necessarily mean safer driving, but it's a lot better to have a person with two hands on the wheel and the ability to turn their head. Still driving in this country is seen more as a right rather than a privilege. Driving education is what needs to step up. Sadly once someone gets their license they don't bother learning how to improve their driving.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2006, 11:09 PM   #15
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CnoteMD
This has been a law in NY for a few years now. I don't know if it has become a law in NJ yet. If they have made it a law in this state, they sure don't seem to enforce it.
I thought that it was a law now in NJ (for like a year now). I guess I could be wrong. I'm pretty sure it's a law here in DC, too.
      07-01-2006, 12:40 PM   #16
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchanou
As other posters have said forcing the use of headsets doesn't necessarily mean safer driving, but it's a lot better to have a person with two hands on the wheel and the ability to turn their head.
Actually - I don't think it will help much whether they're off the phone or not in regards to them turning their heads. I talk on my cell phone and I'm not stupid enough to refuse to turn my head when changing lanes.

If they don't turn their heads, it's just because they're dumbasses who don't know how to drive - not because they're on the cellphone. The cellphone isn't glued to the seat - you can still turn your head.
      07-01-2006, 02:22 PM   #17
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK
I thought that it was a law now in NJ (for like a year now). I guess I could be wrong. I'm pretty sure it's a law here in DC, too.

It is in DC... But I have bluetooth, so it never bothers me to be talking on the phone in the car...
Appreciate 0